The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I’m not a big Reverb guy, so I will only say I would look elsewhere. That said they are a cool alternative to a LP Jr.

Been looking for a while. Normally I have no issues with reverb. Bought at sold plenty. But this ad seems weird.

This is the first sunburst one of these I have ever seen for sale.

29 minutes ago, Deej said:

My Valco reproductions have three inputs each. Sounds so much better when I jumper the two outside inputs and plug the guitar into the middle one. 

To be honest, I never even thought to try it on the Ha'va'd.  First time I plugged into it, I put the volume and tone at about 1 o'clock, plugged my telecaster into the #1 input, and wailed on it.  It was pretty clear that further tone explorations would be on the back burner for a spell.  Seems like there aren't many bad settings. 

Now my Victoria Bassman, with the channels jumped and both at about 11 o'clcok, is pretty amazing.  I got to play it cranked like that once in a 1,200 seat 1920s civic auditorium for something for my kids' school and it was the most tremendous sounding, 3d sound with all the natural acoustics of that space.  I hit a kill lick on the 335 just before we started up and the echo off the back wall put the biggest shit-eating grin on my face.  You just don't get to play loud like that too often, and even unmic'd, it was clear as a bell in the band setting.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Deej said:

AC10 is a fantastic little amp, and nowhere near the ridiculous weight of the AC15. Damn thing weighs the same as my Supro Thunderbolt.

My AC4-12 is probably the best sounding amp I own. I just wish it had built-in Vox tremolo. My AC15 is just too damn much for the house. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Where do you buy/sell?

Sorry, would have responded earlier, but ironically I was on the road to Carter’s.

Something new? Probably Sweetwater or a local mom and pop.

Used? I just drove into Nashville. I still like to touch what I buy. Though I admit, I throughly enjoy browsing the listings on Reverb, eBay, etc.

Selling? I tend to farm that out. I’ve been in the business a long time. I no longer care to go through the mechanics of selling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

LinK

978957A8-14D8-4498-82FE-E10F6126DFF4.thumb.jpeg.415f6c2473c3f62efe43d487fa50015e.jpeg

matching headstock. tempting. I really like the CME exclusive tele with green/gold as well

*edit* stupid trying to post from mobile, and now from tracking down this image i'm going to get nothing but chicago music exchange ads

pf-96085f7c--032621-Fender-American-Ultr

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

We got back the 1st mix of a song from the Dirty Years recording sessions we did a few weeks ago. Im stoked on it.

This is my Gretsch DuoJet plugged into my dimed Marshall Class 5 with a Shaggy Screamer in between. Like it or not, this is the sound im after. Bright and bitey on the highs, chunky in the bassie rhythms.

Listen to Dirty Years Everybody 2.0 by Racer5 #np on #SoundCloud

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

sounds rad - first place my mind went

Funny you should come up with that band of all bands.

Just this morning I read this rant / open/letter a friend a friend posted for Jello Biafra. He's not wrong.

https://www.subliminalsf.com/blog/091219

THERE'S NO MORE ROOM FOR YOU - AN OPEN LETTER TO JELLO BIAFRA

Dear Jello,
I'm going to begin this letter by saying that I grew up a fan of THE DEAD KENNEDYS, have enjoyed your collaborations over the years, love a majority of the bands on your label, and have even, on occasion enjoyed your Spoken Word even when it clears a room (#1).  I am grateful for the work you have done to actually support independent bands (having signed many of my friends bands, and bands I'm a fan of to your label), your work for the West Memphis Three, your stance, against Trump, etc... I have also over the years enjoyed, in small doses, conversations with you about music, politics, pop culture, whatever, and don't dislike you as a person at all, but its time that someone calls you out on your bullshit...
I grew up in SF (born in 1979), third generation in fact, so knowing of you was a part of life growing up here in The City, with you being a local celebrity, via your band, your run for mayor (#2), etc..
As a kid and teenager figuring out who I was and where I fit in, I would often see you at shows at The Troc, Berkeley Square, Gilman, etc.. and feel "cool" and comfortable in my own skin, seeing you at the shows I was going to, thinking that wow, JELLO likes the same music I do, cool... Later on, as I got turned onto the weird side of the music/performance scene in the Bay Area (melvins, bungle, neurosis, f-space, srl, crash worship, incredibly strange wrestling) I again, felt that feeling of comfort knowing that YOU were into the same weird stuff I was into and it made it easier to be who I was and like what I liked...

You were at all the shows, and always chatted up the bands, got a record or two, maybe a shirt, and were super available to talk to and approach, and I admired that about you, as other famous local musicians I admired weren't as down to earth and as easy to talk to. It wasn't until later in my life after I started working in the nightlife/music/service industry that I realized what was actually happening and who you actually were...

I would see you at shows I worked, and nine times out of ten, you would be "on the list" even if you weren't (#3). Thus depriving local and touring bands of the money your cover would have contributed to their small take of the door at the end of the night. I'm sure you remember being a starving musician in the era of PAY TO PLAY before the DIY Movement you helped create (#4), so you know the difference every dollar makes at the door... (#5)
This extends even more to record/merch sales, as this is how a band truly survives on the road, and again, how what appeared to be you supporting the scene was really you ripping it off... All these years of seeing you chatting up bands at the merch table and leaving with stacks of records I has assumed that you were paying for them, and helping support the bands, but then I began to see you and your ways. You would use your "social cred" and "status" to haggle for free records and shirts from bands, taking even more money out of their pockets. You OWN A FUCKING RECORD LABEL, you know the cost of producing vinyl and the dynamics of how much a band gets per record sold (who owns the royalties, having to pay back advances, etc...), and often having to buy copies from the label to sell on tour. So your "free" record not only didn't put money into the bands pocket, but it literally took money out of it.
I know you have this whole Anti-Capitalist vibe, but you are also the owner of multiple businesses, make appearances (most likely paid or at least compensated) in tons of music documentaries, and have had multiple successful bands that have toured the world without having to pay out of pocket for expenses hoping to make enough on tour to get from one city to the next and put food in your stomach, so how about if you want to actually SUPPORT YOUR SCENE and LIVE MUSIC, you start paying the fucking cover from now on and pay bands for their music like you want people to do with yours. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if you found out everyone got in free to one of your shows or got a bunch of free AT Vinyl every time they went to a show, would you?
I get it, you're JELLO BIAFRA of the DEAD KENNEDYS, so how about making that mean something respectable again, as opposed to an annoyance? How about setting an example, and not only paying cover, throw in a couple extra bucks to help the bands out, buy them a drink, or a sandwich, throw some duckets in the tip/gas fund basket, and truly support your scene!

Michael Madfes
----
Michael Madfes
:: subliminalsf ::
visual and auditory mind control

Knobs are volume and tone.  Inputs 1, 2, and 3 (hottest, a bit less hot, a bit less hot still).  More technically, Input 1 is unattenuated.  Input 2 is attenuated -3.5db.  Input 3 is attenuated -9.5db.

Usually, I'll plug a single coil into input 1 or a humbucker into 2 or 3.  Or you could use 3 for more clean headroom or whatever.  Or, you do the thing with the switcher, set  input 3 up as your clean tone and use 2 as a mild boost and 1 as a lead boost.

I got mine made by Lil Dawg Amps.  Victoria makes one (Ivy League) or Chicagolux (Tweed Vibrolux is just a Harvard with vibrato).  The Harvard (5f10) originally was a 1x10.  Jim at LD Amps talked me into the 12 and I'm glad he did.  Victoria offers both speaker options, but there are more 1x10s out there.

Very nice cleans and, when turned up, it gives up what sounds to me like Stones in 72.  If any Fender tweed amp could be said to be a "baby Bassman," the Harvard 5f10 is it.  An original 1x10 with a tele is the Steve Cropper sound.

Here's mine (I replaced that little dawg badge with a replica Fender Harvard badge because the LD one was ugly):

Harvard-Front.jpg

Harvard-Back.jpg

I can’t own anything with dwag on it.

Just now, Buzzrock said:

I can’t own anything with dwag on it.

So true.  It probably kept me from contacting Jim about an amp for years.  But the fact is, the dude is the nicest guy to do business with you could imagine.  His work is excellent, and he's probably the most reasonably priced custom amp builder out there.   I also got lucky and ordered mine just as he was finishing up a similar one.  So he put mine up next while the circuit was fresh in his head.  I put 50% down and had the amp in a week.

I ordered it without any upgrades, but he offers any option you can dream up. 

10-Finished-Amp-Rear-Guts.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

How much for him to leave the nameplate off?

Asking for Buzzrock.

He'll do it.  Just tell him you have a custom one with your name on it or some such and ask him to include his in the cab.  Again.  Nicest. Dude. Ever.

4 hours ago, dcbc said:

So true.  It probably kept me from contacting Jim about an amp for years.  But the fact is, the dude is the nicest guy to do business with you could imagine.  His work is excellent, and he's probably the most reasonably priced custom amp builder out there.   I also got lucky and ordered mine just as he was finishing up a similar one.  So he put mine up next while the circuit was fresh in his head.  I put 50% down and had the amp in a week.

I ordered it without any upgrades, but he offers any option you can dream up. 

10-Finished-Amp-Rear-Guts.jpg

That is a super clean design. Shame you have to cover it up…

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I FINALLY found a fender in autumn blaze metallic in person (it was a squire infinity series tele) and the color is perfect.  I really need to get one down the road. 

Thats not how it works here. Post the tracking number so we can follow when we get our new guitar

Edited by Bogeywon
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

This right here.  

Down the road?  Guff.  Faw. 

The best time to buy that guitar was yesterday.

The second best time is today.  

If anything it will take weeks if not a month or two as it would be a mod shop lefty strat configuration with a roaster maple, HH and hard tail. 

That will be my final guitar purchase. Until I get the PRS itch.