The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

I have the T-15.  It's a weird little thing.  

9 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Ya, and the guy playing it is the least metal looking dude ever, so it was a good fit. Their drummer was mind blowing, just incredible.

That guys looks about as metal as many metal heads I've ever seen.

Headed out to play a private party in Royce City.  First trio gig in quite some time.  I'm busting out my Martin and it'll be my first time playing my Thinline out.  Martin has a short in the pup I just discovered, so maybe it works, and maybe it doesn't.  Life's a gamble!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The Martin made it two sets and then crapped out. Pretty sure it’s a short in the pup. Even with a set up for lead my hand was tired so it wasn’t a huge issue.

Switched to the Thinline direct into the 68 Princeton Reverb. On the neck humbucker it really complemented the singers Larivee well. Tried the bridge but it just sounded too harsh without an accompanying bass. It had a slight neck dive though. I’m used to playing it sitting down. I’ll have to add just a little weight to my strap at the tail.

Anyone going to the guitar show in Dallas today?

Speaking of acoustics, can anyone recommend a good preamp/DI box. I was straight into the board and he had to crank it even with what is supposedly a sufficient onboard preamp. Anyone ever had this problem?

I’ve found they can be tricky, for a bunch of different reasons. I’ve tried several and currently really digging the LR Baggs Venue di. I like the Venue because it has two variable mid eqs - 1 in the 100-500 range and 1 in the 500-2.5k range. They are very good at dialing out the mid-boominess of an acoustic. It also has a boost which I leave constant on.

You can see in the pic I also use a boss 7 band. Everything is cut almost all the way down with its boost almost all the way up. Simple pedal board. Goes straight into my mixer. I use reverb from the mixer.

f37baee42ac58a3455506554c2f26b26.jpg

Based on reading the hard core posts on Acoustic Guitar Forum, the Fire Eye Red Eye is supposed to be really good if you don’t need much tone shaping.

At the top end the Grace Alix is supposedly the holy grail. Pricey though. I’m going buy one one of these days and A/B Vs my current and see if it’s worth keeping or sending back.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Since we're talking about live sound, can anyone recommend a simple mic pre for live use with a single vocal mic?  I'm thinking something that takes XLR in, with onboard EQ and basic effects (certainly compression and reverb/delay), and sends a line out to the house mixing board.

The reason I ask is because I have found I sing MUCH better if the signal is (a) scooped in my stuffy sinus range and (b) has plenty of reverb.  The longer reverb helps my ears center pitch.  Dealing with shitty small Austin clubs and their sound guys is always a crap shoot -- if I could just supply the appropriately effected signal that they just to adjust gain/volume on, it would probably be much better than what I usually deal with.

Those green and yellow pedals on my board are fantastic mic pres. TC Helicon. One has a doubler and one has pitch correction but we keep both of those on zero. Reverb is fantastic. There’s a single button for compression/de essing effect which is where the magic is.

No eq though. I use the mixer for that. But 100% agree with your idea on sending an eq’d signal to the sound guy.

Check on Acoustic Guitar Forums. There’s some knowledgeable people there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just ordered one of these, which checks a lot of boxes for me — semi hollow, P90s, Bigsby and a 25.5” scale length.  Reverend has a good rep for producing guitars that play/sound above their cost, and it is significantly cheaper than a comparable Warmoth build that also checks those same boxes.  

• Like 3

I tried to mix it up a bit and take pics of some stuff that was more esoteric. Then I wound up taking lots of pics of standard vintage stuff. It’s a weakness I have.
6b780ad0ca3c52f072996a3eec4a4604.jpg
^Ive been into walnut -335 family stuff since I found out it’s what Mick Taylor used on “Can’t you hear me knockin” Here’s a row of them at the Jimmy Wallace stand.

7ea1462f6904e0d0926f813d2cd8e686.jpg
Some SGs.

428a987a4e3f3b7c4f720dcc348cfc6c.jpg
There were several ‘54 Strats. The asking prices were just all over the place for them. I didn’t see anything noteworthy that would differentiate one from another.

2d4616c0ef3eb97144c90cd74b888a8c.jpg
I’ve been really jonesing for a P-90 LP Custom. This one was a little out of my range.

0bae6a2c2d97d230283544373e7b6974.jpg
A few choice Jazzmasters.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I found the sole vintage lavender(?) Tele Thinline. Maybe it was lavender 40 years ago. Looks like it must’ve been owned by a smoker who played it in smoky bars full of smokers who smoked a lot.
392eb2b748618142db89b34e12679a84.jpg
My buddy passed.

16248bd3cccf07838acb6f7a8fc53ac7.jpg
Loved this Round Up.

828d5a77c99df05071f4977370fb4f41.jpg

An assortment of vintage Fenders.

b59c7f66606b07aba54b02565c4520d0.jpg
Pretty pricey for a replica.
63c4f58fd2a251855511a1d2f9e68a72.jpg
Been into Firebirds lately. This is a nice example.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

45bad67c8e33dbae6a74af327e6516b2.jpg
Always interested in the guitar/amp in case combo.

1043974321a45b53d7f36fcacc84745f.jpg
Seems like a decent price for a very nice Micawbr replica - without saying it’s a Micawbr replica.

I was drawn to the color on this one:
f156ca745aeb414f14d6f1fb978f83b4.jpg

cb1f217f5e3615c23c39c6852eaeb7d9.jpg
This one was so weird I just has to document it.

bebeb88a18461bafd6842dffbf86ba23.jpg
Forgive the weird upside down post. But I really dig this triple pickup custom.

And that’s a wrap for this years guitar show.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

45bad67c8e33dbae6a74af327e6516b2.jpg
Always interested in the guitar/amp in case combo.

1043974321a45b53d7f36fcacc84745f.jpg
Seems like a decent price for a very nice Micawbr replica - without saying it’s a Micawbr replica.

I was drawn to the color on this one:
f156ca745aeb414f14d6f1fb978f83b4.jpg

cb1f217f5e3615c23c39c6852eaeb7d9.jpg
This one was so weird I just has to document it.

bebeb88a18461bafd6842dffbf86ba23.jpg
Forgive the weird upside down post. But I really dig this triple pickup custom.

And that’s a wrap for this years guitar show.

Thank you for that. It was fun looking at all of them..

• Hook 'Em 1

That’s really good shit mr fuck.

I hate the fucking prices of this shit, and pretty much everything, these days though.

The ‘54s really has me wondering. It seems like they’re the Corvette you park in front so the kids will ogle while mom and dad wind up with a used Chevette.

I truly wonder how many of them actually move. I mean, at least at the Jimmy Wallace area there were several choice guitars that I know I’ve seen in previous years and skipped taking pics of. And who is walking out the door of Market Hall with that $100k Dumble? At the same time the booth with that one was all killer no filler, so I guess selling one Tweed/Gold Top/Dumble probably makes it worth the effort.

38 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

The ‘54s really has me wondering. It seems like they’re the Corvette you park in front so the kids will ogle while mom and dad wind up with a used Chevette.

I truly wonder how many of them actually move. I mean, at least at the Jimmy Wallace area there were several choice guitars that I know I’ve seen in previous years and skipped taking pics of. And who is walking out the door of Market Hall with that $100k Dumble? At the same time the booth with that one was all killer no filler, so I guess selling one Tweed/Gold Top/Dumble probably makes it worth the effort.

I would imagine truly valuable and collectible gear is bought after a long vetting process.  Like, find a prospect, play it, inspect for repairs, get it authenticated by a 3rd party, etc...  having these items at these shows is probably just a venue to start that process, but I ain’t a collector, so that’s just speculation on my part.

I would be curious as to how many good deals are made.  At any price point, are people walking away with a guitar they paid significantly below market value?  For vendors, if we are talking gear at $5k or less, it seems like it would be a lot cheaper and easier to just sell through Reverb.

Edited by Goredho

13 hours ago, Goredho said:

Just ordered one of these, which checks a lot of boxes for me — semi hollow, P90s, Bigsby and a 25.5” scale length.  Reverend has a good rep for producing guitars that play/sound above their cost, and it is significantly cheaper than a comparable Warmoth build that also checks those same boxes.  

Always wanted a reverend. Copious details when you get it please.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

I would imagine truly valuable and collectible gear is bought after a long vetting process.  Like, find a prospect, play it, inspect for repairs, get it authenticated by a 3rd party, etc...  having these items at these shows is probably just a venue to start that process, but I ain’t a collector, so that’s just speculation on my part.

I would be curious as to how many good deals are made.  At any price point, are people walking away with a guitar they paid significantly below market value?  For vendors, if we are talking gear at $5k or less, it seems like it would be a lot cheaper and easier to just sell through Reverb.

Most of that stuff is bought by shops who will resell it. Tomorrow, Austin Vintage Guitars will post photos of the truckload of gear they bought at the show this weekend. If you could afford to by in bulk like they do, I'd bet those prices are much lower on a lot of that shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

That’s really good shit mr fuck.

I hate the fucking prices of this shit, and pretty much everything, these days though.

What I hate most is the failure of people to recognize that just because it’s old, don’t mean it’s good. 

Guitars are unlike any other thing I collect. If one buys a high end Leica film camera like a single stroke M3, you still pay top dollar. But a Topcon from the same year…$35.00.

Same with watches. A 1969 Daytona Rolex is going to be expensive. A Timex from the same year, fuck who knows, $5.00?

Guitars, the entire landscape changes. If it is from yesteryear, you pay premium, even if it is shit. This phenomenon is particularly true when fucking around with early LP’s. Yeah, they’re old. But most have problems, and don’t sound particularly great. Remember, those prior to 57 didn’t have the Seth Lover PAF pickups. Yet, a asking price of $45,000 is not uncommon……fuck that. It’s just old..

• Hook 'Em 2

Eh probably true, but also stuff from that era are expensive as museum pieces at this point. Once you get to the 70s, that begins to be less the case. Certainly nobody is paying a premium on 25-35 year old guitars that aren’t specifically something cool. Unless I’m wrong.

What I hate most is the failure of people to recognize that just because it’s old, don’t mean it’s good. 

Guitars are unlike any other thing I collect. If one buys a high end Leica film camera like a single stroke M3, you still pay top dollar. But a Topcon from the same year…$35.00.
Same with watches. A 1969 Daytona Rolex is going to be expensive. A Timex from the same year, fuck who knows, $5.00?[/]
Guitars, the entire landscape changes. If it is from yesteryear, you pay premium, even if it is shit. This phenomenon is particularly true when fucking around with early LP’s. Yeah, they’re old. But most have problems, and don’t sound particularly great. Remember, those prior to 57 didn’t have the Seth Lover PAF pickups. Yet, a asking price of $45,000 is not uncommon……fuck that. It’s just old..

That reminds me. I found a woman's Time watch in a gas station parking lot. Obviously ran over a few dozen times, wound it up and it worked find. A little damage to the band. Gave it to my girlfriend. Takes a lickin', keeps on tickin', indeed.

36 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Eh probably true, but also stuff from that era are expensive as museum pieces at this point. Once you get to the 70s, that begins to be less the case. Certainly nobody is paying a premium on 25-35 year old guitars that aren’t specifically something cool. Unless I’m wrong.

Lack of production currently and inflation is making everything valuable. I sold my LP for what I paid for it. 

It was less than 3 years old.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I believe they are.

This is a good example. Look at the values of either a Norlin (70-85) built LP, or a CBS built Fender (66-86). No one I deal with wants either. why? They are not the same quality as those that came before or after. No longer made by artisans, but by machines.
You should be able to grab one from those years for $900 tops. Yet, look for a 69 LP on Reverb and look what they are asking. Like I said, it’s only redeeming quality is…….it’s old.

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Most of that stuff is bought by shops who will resell it. Tomorrow, Austin Vintage Guitars will post photos of the truckload of gear they bought at the show this weekend. If you could afford to by in bulk like they do, I'd bet those prices are much lower on a lot of that shit. 

That is possible I guess. Though you can find that same crazy ass pricing on a number of online sites, including Norman’s and Carter’s.

1 minute ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

That is possible I guess. Though you can find that same crazy ass pricing on a number of online sites, including Norman’s and Carter’s.

They are buying it cheap enough to mark it back up. Fucking dealers have each other's backs.