The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Yeah I mean I wouldn't get so OCD anyway, a guitar is an equal temperament instrument, it's always going to be slightly out of tune on chords. I tend to leave my B string slightly flat if I have a song with an open D chord.

On 7/12/2022 at 7:39 AM, Celery Man said:

Oh interesting, I hadn’t seen the Peterson strobe pedals in a minute. I had the OG blue strobostomp for years and loved it. It finally died after much abuse and I replaced it with the turbo tuner - also good but hard to read in direct sunlight. I’d be interested in trying the new petersons, but also I did like the kinda OG strobe style display that I was used to from band.

I don’t know if we’ve had this discussion, but I’m a big believer in highly accurate tuners like Peterson and Turbo. Would definitely want that for pedal tuning.

The steel is a GFI SM-10 3x4  (3 pedal, 4 lever model).  SM is for Student Model.

The Peterson Strobostomp is really cool in that it has specific tuning modes for steel and also for the pedals.  You can change the colors to make is easier to read in different environments and you can set colors for each tuning to make it easier to find them.  I usually hate having so many choices, but these are easy to scroll through the menus.  It is also helping me in making sure I hit the correct spot with the bar.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

The steel is a GFI SM-10 3x4  (3 pedal, 4 lever model).  SM is for Student Model.

The Peterson Strobostomp is really cool in that it has specific tuning modes for steel and also for the pedals.  You can change the colors to make is easier to read in different environments and you can set colors for each tuning to make it easier to find them.  I usually hate having so many choices, but these are easy to scroll through the menus.  It is also helping me in making sure I hit the correct spot with the bar.  

https://reverb.com/item/57723395-quilter-labs-steelaire-rackmount-200-watt-pedal-steel-guitar-head

This popped up in my feed.  I need you to buy it so I don't have to.

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

https://reverb.com/item/57723395-quilter-labs-steelaire-rackmount-200-watt-pedal-steel-guitar-head

This popped up in my feed.  I need you to buy it so I don't have to.

Yep.  I don't know if Quilter still makes that rack-mounted Steelaire.    A lot of the forum guys drool over that thing.  

Makes me look fat and out of shape due to the zoom out but thought I’d was cool. Also can I email someone some of the songs I’ve written? It me and a drummer no singer. We have a bass player. He just couldn’t make it but I feel like it’s a banger and would love feedback. EDF810F8-3CCF-4641-B511-0EECE6E6FB05.thumb.jpeg.c9684356b529bb312ebbfaf86cb8fc56.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, G650 said:

If you bounce it as an mp3 it should be small enough to email. A wav file probably too big.

It will email. Sent it to a couple posters. If one of you could post it here I’m a stupid and don’t get it (Tom hanks voice) lol

14 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Makes me look fat and out of shape due to the zoom out but thought I’d was cool. Also can I email someone some of the songs I’ve written? It me and a drummer no singer. We have a bass player. He just couldn’t make it but I feel like it’s a banger and would love feedback. EDF810F8-3CCF-4641-B511-0EECE6E6FB05.thumb.jpeg.c9684356b529bb312ebbfaf86cb8fc56.jpeg

Put the songs on Dropbox or WeTransfer or something like that and drop a link.

After a few days on the pedal steel.  Initial thoughts/impressions. 

I've built a little work station around me to help.  I'm running an ipod into a Yamaha board through a PA speaker to play along with things.  Also have a table set up to watch YT instructions and also look up how to play chords.  

I restrung it (and hope I don't have to do that for a very long time) and it sounds and plays much better and it also disclosed some mechanical issues with the pedals and levers but I think I've worked through them.   I highly accurate tuner is a must.  For $150, this Peterson Strobostomp is a steal for what it provides.   I'm fucking tired of dropping finger picks and having to bend down and pick them up.   I don't know if I will ever be able to use the finger picks.  There are 4 basic hand positions and moving between them with those picks on is really tough to get used to. I'm fine with the thumb picks....and apparently some folks (Danial Lanois is one) don't use the finger picks. 

One bizarre thing that happened during restringing.  I put the ball end through the 'bridge' slot which moves to change the pitch of the strings (either lever or pedal triggered).  As I was winding the string, it slipped off of the peg, and the lever released, throwing the string out of the bridge slot.   I have yet to find that string.  LUCKILY, there were two of those strings included in the set...by accident.  The ball ends were stuck together, so I had a built in spare.   The Buddy Emmons gods were smiling down on me I guess.  

Learning the fret board and how it changes related to which pedals you are using is the key to this.  But I'm having a blast learning it.  I usually work on changing finger positions for a few minutes, then I concentrate on bar movement and finding chord relationships, then I put on some of my favorite songs I like to play on guitar and try to play along with them.  Currently working my way throw the Hangdogs discography.  I also spend some time trying to play along with random songs from my spotify list that I don't normally play on guitar.    

Next purchase is probably a steel specific pack seat.  I thought about getting a drum throne but a good Roc-n-soc is about as much as a pack seat so I might as well get a good seat so I don't have to get used to something different if I ever decide to play this thing outside of my basement.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 7/14/2022 at 7:41 AM, Bogeywon said:

dude...this thread doesn't have to be just me and goredho talking to each other.  post that shit!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

on the fingerpicks, I'm the last person to speak as if I follow my own wisdom here, but you should try and spend 5-10 minutes a day playing with the fingerpicks even if it sucks. frequently making your fingers try and do that, even if you're not good and it's not for long - that will get you over the hump surprisingly fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

on the fingerpicks, I'm the last person to speak as if I follow my own wisdom here, but you should try and spend 5-10 minutes a day playing with the fingerpicks even if it sucks. frequently making your fingers try and do that, even if you're not good and it's not for long - that will get you over the hump surprisingly fast.

I need to do this...mostly play plectrum-less nowadays. 

1 minute ago, Foggy Notion said:

I like big amps and I cannot lie…

denzel-training-day.gif

1 minute ago, Foggy Notion said:

Where dat 60s Melody Maker tho?

I wasn't kidding that I keep it over in the corner with my '72 LP

IMG-20220709-185046392.jpg

Once I have rebuilt it I will take an actual legit photo.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, G650 said:

I probably should have posted some pictures of my guitars given the thread name. Me and the drummer knocked the dust off a bit last night.

IMG-20220714-190417479.jpg

Not complete without a @dcbc rundown of each amp including the name of the dude that fastened the sticker on the end of each knob on the factory lines and their birthdays. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Which stadium?

Nice....

Back when I got my first full Jubilee stack my old friend/other guitarist remarked well at least G650 is ready to play the Garden...

I am actually moving to playing the Bassmans more generally, but our older material is done with the Marshall and I usually track with all the amps mic'ed up and blend the tracks. The 2555SL is usually the live amp though, my 2555 is out for service.

As much as it pains to admit it, I played the Marshall through a Weber attenuator last night. First time ever. I feel shame.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's the story on the two Marshall cabs?  Did you get either one with either head?

I have 3 Marshall cabs currently, there's a Jubilee angled cab not in the shot. I bought a Jubilee full stack back in the early aughts when they were somewhat niche still. That head is in the other photo in the amp thread, it's currently off being serviced. I had another straight Jubilee cab as well but I sold it quite awhile ago. The other cab in this shot is a '75 1960A loaded with cream back Celestions, one with a Pulsonic cone and three RIC cones. I bought it to pair with the blackface Bassman. The 2555SL in this shot I've had since new in the late 90's. I got the blackface in maybe '04 or so? Paid 200 bucks for it back then lol.

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

Sent

It was in M4a so I converted it to MP3 for more universal opening. 

Posted it in a Soundcloud account that I have no files in, set as private. Not a hunnit percent sure how/if it will work posted here, but here is the link.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DougO said:

Posted it in a Soundcloud account that I have no files in, set as private. Not a hunnit percent sure how/if it will work posted here, but here is the link.

Awesome man thanks!!! Been looking forward to showing off what’s been going on with the band. I’m playing a PRS Custom 24 with 10/top a mesa single Rec head and a mesa 4x12 cab. Guitar is drop D tuning 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, G650 said:

I have 3 Marshall cabs currently, there's a Jubilee angled cab not in the shot. I bought a Jubilee full stack back in the early aughts when they were somewhat niche still. That head is in the other photo in the amp thread, it's currently off being serviced. I had another straight Jubilee cab as well but I sold it quite awhile ago. The other cab in this shot is a '75 1960A loaded with cream back Celestions, one with a Pulsonic cone and three RIC cones. I bought it to pair with the blackface Bassman. The 2555SL in this shot I've had since new in the late 90's. I got the blackface in maybe '04 or so? Paid 200 bucks for it back then lol.

What kind of sound do you get out of that bassman? I think cobain rocked those 

2 hours ago, DougO said:

needs more hooks

sounds awesome, you just need to get someone with some zack de la rocha energy on the microphone

32 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Awesome man thanks!!! Been looking forward to showing off what’s been going on with the band. I’m playing a PRS Custom 24 with 10/top a mesa single Rec head and a mesa 4x12 cab. Guitar is drop D tuning 

I picked up that it was in Drop D.  I must be getting better!

I mean, I still suck, but yay Drop D!

I enjoyed listening to that.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, G650 said:

Fuck yeah 

57 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

What kind of sound do you get out of that bassman? I think cobain rocked those 

Cobain played Twins I thought but I'm not 100% sure.

Pretty much all Social Distortion from their major label days on is a Bassman into a Marshall cab. Mike Ness uses greenbacks though and has his bass channel modded by Billy Zoom originally, and another guy now who's name escapes me. Basically the tone is not far off an early Marshall, more bark than grit though. I'm still on the fence with the Sylvania 6L6s I just put in this one. It's like mega barky. The 5881s were definitely more saturated and smoother.

Voodoo Chile was a Bassman as well.

Cobain played Twins I thought but I'm not 100% sure.

Pretty much all Social Distortion from their major label days on is a Bassman into a Marshall cab. Mike Ness uses greenbacks though and has his bass channel modded by Billy Zoom originally, and another guy now who's name escapes me. Basically the tone is not far off an early Marshall, more bark than grit though. I'm still on the fence with the Sylvania 6L6s I just put in this one. It's like mega barky. The 5881s were definitely more saturated and smoother.

Voodoo Chile was a Bassman as well.

What’s the cord going from the bass input to the normal input for?

Well, fuck...Deej is in the market for another double-bound sunburst '60's Tele with a maple neck. 

I wonder if that’s a prototype of his signature Tele. It has the look but not the Thinline style pick guard.

https://reverb.com/item/57777877-fender-custom-shop-merle-haggard-telecaster-maple-fingerboard-2-color-sunburst-749?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=57777877

20 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

What’s the cord going from the bass input to the normal input for?

It's a jumper to run both channels at once. Pretty much any multi input amp can do it. It doesn't make the amp any louder or have more gain, contrary to a popular myth, but what it does is allows you to blend the output of the two channels to have more options tonally.

• Hook 'Em 2