The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

Focusing on other instruments at the moment.

I can’t wait till I move and can nab a bad ass drum set. I got symbols and what not on my premier set (was the Tama rockstars competitor). They are all A custom’s (which are worth 4x the set lol. Just don’t have a room for them :/. I’m going HAM tho when I buy a set. Like a nice DW or something higher end

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

I can’t wait till I move and can nab a bad ass drum set. I got symbols and what not on my premier set (was the Tama rockstars competitor). They are all A custom’s (which are worth 4x the set lol. Just don’t have a room for them :/. I’m going HAM tho when I buy a set. Like a nice DW or something higher end

That’s cool.  I’m probably looking at a small electric kit and an 88 weighted key keyboard controller next, not necessarily in that order.  I don’t have the space for a real kit.

10 minutes ago, Goredho said:

That’s cool.  I’m probably looking at a small electric kit and an 88 weighted key keyboard controller next, not necessarily in that order.  I don’t have the space for a real kit.

Nice! I had a electric kit for a couple months and couldn’t get into it… the feel and sound just wasn’t right. 

• Hook 'Em 1

One of the best sounding sets I ever heard was a DW. design series. Go figure.

You should really go to sweet water and pull the trigger on their renown burnt orange sparkle. I’m considering it just because I think those drums are so underrated. They’re beautiful and have silver sealer.
  • Like 1

http://

What do you plan to run that keyboard controller through? I have one that my daughter started out on piano with until we got a real piano. Back then I ran it through my iMac but those things are in different rooms now. Do you have to get a computer and speakers or can you buy a stand alone brain? I just want something with classic piano/organ sounds.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

What do you plan to run that keyboard controller through? I have one that my daughter started out on piano with until we got a real piano. Back then I ran it through my iMac but those things are in different rooms now. Do you have to get a computer and speakers or can you buy a stand alone brain? I just want something with classic piano/organ sounds.

I will use it for recording, so it will go into my MacBook Pro via USB.  My computer will be the brain and run the software instruments as well as the DAW for recording.  I have a low latency, external audio interface connected to the computer for output, and that runs stereo out to two powered JBL studio monitors.  I am not sure what options exist other than a computer to be the “brain”.  Probably rack mount synths, but then you still need some sort of amp/speaker solution.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Can samples onboard the computer be triggered via USB (as opposed to MIDI)?

I assume so.  When I record with my Arturia Keylab MKII I am just connected via USB and it’s recording midi tracks in my DAW like if I was connected via midi.  I can change the software instrument after recording at will if I want to switch between say a piano or an organ software instrument on the track.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I just listed this Gibson Les Paul Doublecut on Reverb and Craigslist. If anybody here wants it I'd make a great deal.

I haven't listed anything on Craigslist in a while. Within moments of posting I had a text saying can they pick it up today, then had a 6 digit number sent to me from Google voice that he wanted me to text back to verify im real. Seams sketchy. As I was texting him to respond to the ad with a number, I got another text that was identical to his initial text, so I ignored both since. Anybody know what the scam is?

Gibson Les Paul Special Double Cutaway 2015 https://reverb.com/item/58365092-gibson-les-paul-special-double-cutaway-2015?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=5836509220220725_093238.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I just listed this Gibson Les Paul Doublecut on Reverb and Craigslist. If anybody here wants it I'd make a great deal.

I haven't listed anything on Craigslist in a while. Within moments of posting I had a text saying can they pick it up today, then had a 6 digit number sent to me from Google voice that he wanted me to text back to verify im real. Seams sketchy. As I was texting him to respond to the ad with a number, I got another text that was identical to his initial text, so I ignored both since. Anybody know what the scam is?

Gibson Les Paul Special Double Cutaway 2015 https://reverb.com/item/58365092-gibson-les-paul-special-double-cutaway-2015?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=5836509220220725_093238.jpg

That is hot. My "I have not had time to play in 5 months and don't need another guitar" ass does not need to see this. Good call on the Grovers over the G-Force. Also, WTF with that Les Paul creepy hologram Gibson. 

Gibson Les Paul Special Double Cutaway 2015 https://reverb.com/item/58365092-gibson-les-paul-special-double-cutaway-2015?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=5836509220220725_093238.thumb.jpg.662ce6cda63d1eba8268646273eb1f0a.jpg

This thing has some gnarls to it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I've also listed this beauty. Hit me up if anybody is interested, there is a Surly discount. I always list high on Rwverb in case a sucker comes along while I'm waiting on a reasonable offer.

I'm gonna be listing a few more soon as well I think, need to decide which. Im thinking the 335, Explorer, and Hummingbird- I guess that would make it largely a Gibson clearance. All great guitars, I'm just trying to free up some space. Ill be selling some amps soon too.

Gretsch Billy Bo Jupiter Thunderbird 2011 Black W/ Gold https://reverb.com/item/3523569-gretsch-billy-bo-jupiter-thunderbird-2011-black-w-gold?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=3523569
Screenshot_20220726-072839_Reverb.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I've also listed this beauty. Hit me up if anybody is interested, there is a Surly discount. I always list high on Rwverb in case a sucker comes along while I'm waiting on a reasonable offer.

I'm gonna be listing a few more soon as well I think, need to decide which. Im thinking the 335, Explorer, and Hummingbird- I guess that would make it largely a Gibson clearance. All great guitars, I'm just trying to free up some space. Ill be selling some amps soon too.

Gretsch Billy Bo Jupiter Thunderbird 2011 Black W/ Gold https://reverb.com/item/3523569-gretsch-billy-bo-jupiter-thunderbird-2011-black-w-gold?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=3523569
Screenshot_20220726-072839_Reverb.jpg

That's a cool looking guitar.

Screenshot_20220726-072839_Reverb.thumb.jpg.b8f9f11d40c6ede15a9847d169844c12.jpg

Oh man. That’s my favorite of yours. Can’t believe you’re parting ways!

3 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

I could only hope to one day be as fuckin' cool as Glen Campbell.

If only I could pull off that eagle guitar strap without hipster irony.  Let alone coupled with a western cut jacket with elbow patches.  He's like a professor of late 70s bearded cool.  

On 7/24/2022 at 2:48 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Can samples onboard the computer be triggered via USB (as opposed to MIDI)?

On 7/24/2022 at 6:12 PM, Goredho said:

I assume so.  When I record with my Arturia Keylab MKII I am just connected via USB and it’s recording midi tracks in my DAW like if I was connected via midi.  I can change the software instrument after recording at will if I want to switch between say a piano or an organ software instrument on the track.

the usb is just the connection basis to transmit the midi from whatever controller (keyboard, faders, electronic drums, whatver) into the software.  not only are the samples triggered, but their dynamics, and all other 140 cc codes can be assigned.

On 7/24/2022 at 7:46 AM, Buzzrock said:

a true controller is meant only for triggering midi...not for having built in sounds.  if you want a standalone, one would look at something more like a korg krome or something (which is what it sounds like you want).  but controllers can run any sample in the world which are virtually limitless.  i have samples of a zillion different pianos (current favorite is native instruments' recording of the steinway used in the columbia studios for decades (including the piano recordings for miles's kind of blue).  it's pretty cheap too.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, sidis said:

the usb is just the connection basis to transmit the midi from whatever controller (keyboard, faders, electronic drums, whatver) into the software.  not only are the samples triggered, but their dynamics, and all other 140 cc codes can be assigned.

Thanks, I didn't realize that other connection cables could be used for MIDI.  I just use an old-fashioned multi-pin MIDI cable.

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks, I didn't realize that other connection cables could be used for MIDI.  I just use an old-fashioned multi-pin MIDI cable.

almost everything runs through usb 2.0 now for virtually every type of controller.  lot less bulk and no info loss since they are just midi signals...although audio interfaces are now as well.  hell, you can do it wireless now if you want but i don't trust it on latency, etc...

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

almost everything runs through usb 2.0 now for virtually every type of controller.  lot less bulk and no info loss since they are just midi signals...although audio interfaces are now as well.  hell, you can do it wireless now if you want but i don't trust it on latency, etc...

Well, my "controller" (Yamaha S80) is so old it only has MIDI out, so it doesn't really matter for me.  Someday I want to buy a smaller, lighter controller -- most likely 73 key.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, my "controller" (Yamaha S80) is so old it only has MIDI out, so it doesn't really matter for me.  Someday I want to buy a smaller, lighter controller -- most likely 73 key.

lots of good options out there but it depends on what kind of action you want on the keys.  if just synth type keys, the world is your oyster and you can't go wrong with akai, nord, NI, korg, sl, and on and on.  if you want hammer/piano action on the keys with a good velocity curve/aftertouch, then 49/65/73 key controllers are a lot more limited as most manufacturers save their best action quality keys for their 88 key models.  if you want a 73 key with good action, recommend the studiologic sl73.  but i don't really see the point of doing 73 keys.  at that point, just do 88.  the 49s and 65s are a significant enough difference in size, that it makes sense.

my main controller is an NI Komplete Kontrol 88 key with amazing action.  my secondary one is an AKAI MPK49 which i would highly, highly recommend to anyone that needs a controller but not for playing the piano.  and i can assure that it does not have a PRS design element on it anywhere.

• Hook 'Em 1