The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I definitely want piano touch.  I wouldn't have to do 73 keys, but in my world I just don't get out to either the bottom or top octave.  The feel would be priority #1 -- my S80 is "OK", but a little on the light side and "plasticky" feeling.  It's also really heavy.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I definitely want piano touch.  I wouldn't have to do 73 keys, but in my world I just don't get out to either the bottom or top octave.  The feel would be priority #1 -- my S80 is "OK", but a little on the light side and "plasticky" feeling.  It's also really heavy.

Well then I am going to save you and awful lot of time and frustration if you want hammer action feel. While you may not use the top or bottom registers, you are still going to want to limit your search to the 88 key models. Trust me or not but eventually you will learn that I’m right and my years of frustration and wasted money should have been your gain. 

best feel out there: Doepfer LMK4+

next, lots of options. NI KK S88, StudioLogic SL88, Roland RD88, Roland A88, korg d88, M-Audio Hammer 88 all excellent weighted key feel. 

If you go less than 88, I would predict you will be unhappy and unsatisfied with the plasticky, synth key feel of basically everything except maybe the StudioLogic SL73. 

primary downside: they take up a shitload of space. 

1C0FE6E7-3E22-4DD4-ACBE-A91BB0784E7C.thumb.jpeg.851538efe55762c58bdeeedca663f5b0.jpeg

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

41 minutes ago, sidis said:

best feel out there: Doepfer LMK4+

next, lots of options. NI KK S88, StudioLogic SL88, Roland RD88, Roland A88, korg d88, M-Audio Hammer 88 all excellent weighted key feel. 

If you go less than 88, I would predict you will be unhappy and unsatisfied with the plasticky, synth key feel of basically everything except maybe the StudioLogic SL73. 

Thanks . . . looks like I need to go play some of these.

Keyboard side bar:

I played piano some growing up before I switched to guitar.  My senior year at UT, I stopped in One World Music (above the Continental Club), where I'd previously scored a Maestro Phaser, and they had a Fender Contempo organ.  I think I grabbed it for $300, got it back to my apartment, plugged it in and quickly realized that knowing how to play piano only tangentially translates to knowing how to play organ.  I kept it for a month or so and sold it back to One World.  I think Earthpig bought it after that.  Damn thing was in perfect condition.

Fender-Contempo-1-600x400.jpg

If I'd just learned some basics, I could have been hired to play the score for Napoleon Dynamite.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

a true controller is meant only for triggering midi...not for having built in sounds.  if you want a standalone, one would look at something more like a korg krome or something (which is what it sounds like you want).  but controllers can run any sample in the world which are virtually limitless.  i have samples of a zillion different pianos (current favorite is native instruments' recording of the steinway used in the columbia studios for decades (including the piano recordings for miles's kind of blue).  it's pretty cheap too.

Maybe I asked the question wrong. I have an 88-key controller now. I’d like to be able to use it as part of my jam room setup. My question is: do you have to run it through a computer with a full operating system and software (GarageBand or whatever), or are there stand alone “brains” I can hook to it to provide sounds (I understand I’d need a PA or keyboard amp to actually make noise).

44 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Maybe I asked the question wrong. I have an 88-key controller now. I’d like to be able to use it as part of my jam room setup. My question is: do you have to run it through a computer with a full operating system and software (GarageBand or whatever), or are there stand alone “brains” I can hook to it to provide sounds (I understand I’d need a PA or keyboard amp to actually make noise).

I gotcha now. 

no, it does not have to run through a full computer. There are a few hardware modules out there with VI banks that will do the conversion but the simplest thing is to use in lieu of a computer is an iPad or phone with an app like Korg’s “Module.” 

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_module/

i have never used it personally but I do have a korg kronos as my standalone keyboard with the I believe the same bank of sounds and they are great. They can’t compare to my hard drives or virtual instrument samples by any stretch but if you are just looking for some basic piano and organ sounds, that should take care of you pretty well. 

if you don’t want to spend the money on that app, garage band on the iPad or phone will also work and is free. Garage band has a pretty significant bank of instruments and your phone will absolutely interpret midi signals through a controller. I used to set up a little 25 key to my daughter’s iPad so should play it with an actual keyboard. For her, I just did Bluetooth to a speaker but there was some latency. But you could definitely do the same thing as above with just garage band. You just need a usb to lightning converter. 

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 1

Holy shit that's a great idea. I have old iPhones lying around all over the place. I think I even have one of those USB dongles. Thanks!

I was trying to do something similar with a Windows tablet and some free software but Windows fucking blows and it was a hassle. I'd much rather stick with Apple.

Turns out I don't have that dongle (I have every other dongle ever made, as is always the case in these situations) but Amazon can get it to me today. I have a big party speaker I can connect it to for now. I'll be Chuck Leavell by tonight!

OK, back to your regularly scheduled Guitar Pr0n. That Luxxtone is for sale again:

https://reverb.com/item/53419487-luxxtone-choppa-s-2021-aged-white 

image.thumb.png.de822b31516c1670e17b33b9f411b955.png

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Turns out I don't have that dongle (I have every other dongle ever made, as is always the case in these situations) but Amazon can get it to me today. I have a big party speaker I can connect it to for now. I'll be Chuck Leavell by tonight!

OK, back to your regularly scheduled Guitar Pr0n. That Luxxtone is for sale again:

https://reverb.com/item/53419487-luxxtone-choppa-s-2021-aged-white 

image.thumb.png.de822b31516c1670e17b33b9f411b955.png

It's going to keep coming back up and up until you buy that fucker.  Do it!

I settled on a modern voiced guitar. A Suhr Modern Plus with this over-the-top PRSesque flamey finish and grotesque tennis shoe headstock is incoming.  The humbuckers can be coil tapped to basically have all the pickup configs of a Les Paul and a Strat.  I will be evaluating if it sounds strat-y enough with everything tapped to let my strat go.

suhr_modern_plus_guitar_bengal_burst_686

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'd seen the video of Joni Mitchell singing and honestly at first thought someone had shopped a parker fly into the photo when I saw this

1658741577?format=auto&ratio=1.91

btw speaking of lesser known guitars that are kinda badass. bogey you should get one

here are some people from the internet demonstrating and discussing them

On 7/28/2022 at 11:54 AM, jimmyjazz said:

You need this.  I will sell it to you.  You can actually stick a 3.5 floppy in it. 

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

I came fairly close to buying a Fly at one time, on consignment at Guitar Center in Round Rock. I guess it was one of the cheaper ones, not that expensive, but it really played nice. I just couldn't quite see myself playing one and I think I had bought a couple of guitars not long  before that.

Edited by DougO

When I worked at GC detroit we had a Parker fly in. Brand new it was 2001-2002. We never sold it and it sat on the wall and was on Clearance for a year. Sat there like 3 years after I quit. Those things were hot garbage 

Edited by Bogeywon

15 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Did they actually suck or was it just that nobody was looking for one? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in the flesh, but they always struck me as interesting. Certainly out of the super strat makers one of the brands actually introducing something new.

I sold 2 of them. They were like if a line 6 pod made a guitar of guitar tones. It had like a weird acoustic pickup in it and shit. It was just really ahead of its time and random. Or maybe it would have smashed in the 80s because from what I remember it was a very digital tone. It almost like if you ran it through a analog system (pedals a tube amp) and not a solid state something or rack mounted amp it would sound just fucking random aa shit. A weird kid who would only write like tool riffs in my HS Jim who also was a legend cause his dad and him built there house from ground up and he had a legit studio in his basement. Annnnnnnnnyway long and short weird ass Jim and his dad built a Parker fly and it was also just as weird as the real one and all he played was tool type originals that were like 35 mins long with no singer because who could sing to that. Csb 

• Haha 2

I got to spend a couple hours listening to Elvin Bishop play his 1959 ES-345 last night. It sounded incredible and convinced me not to sell my 335. It was on the chopping block because its not the sound I'm currently after, so it spends all its time inside the case. Elvin reminded me that I'll get back to the blues at some point. When I do its a great blues guitar.

20220730_193543.jpg20220730_193847.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I got to spend a couple hours listening to Elvin Bishop play his 1959 ES-345 last night. It sounded incredible and convinced me not to sell my 335. It was on the chopping block because its not the sound I'm currently after, so it spends all its time inside the case. Elvin reminded me that I'll get back to the blues at some point. When I do its a great blues guitar.

20220730_193543.jpg20220730_193847.jpg

God help me that looks like Troy Aikmen on guitar and Jerry Jones on the mouth organ.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Anyone have experience with Synergy amps/preamps/modules?  My amp space is really limited with a 12x16 shed office and a desire for keyboards and a small electric drum kit.  It seems like it would be a good way to have a single amp/cab/combo that covers a lot of ground given my space limitations.  Basically you buy real-valve preamp modules that are built by and/or with the blessing of many boutique amp manufacturers (soldano, friedman, diezel, engl, etc..).  These modules have two channels each and can be swapped in/out as you like.  The chassis is plugged into the fx return of your existing amp and so you are using the power amp of your existing amp to drive the tone from these interchangeable preamps.

s-l500.jpg

They have 30 watt and 50 watt heads for the system, too.
SYN30-3-600x600.jpg

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Not familiar but that sounds cool. How is that different than a really good pedal though?

Well, this takes your amp with a preamp section and a power amp section, removes its existing preamp section, and replaces it with the preamp section of another amp.  An overdrive pedal at the front would color the sound and add gain/distortion, but its still flowing through your amp's static preamp and power amp.  A preamp pedal produced by a manufacturer to give the preamp section of one of its amps could likely do the same thing if plugged into the FX return of your amp.  There is a very long and involved thread on thegearpage.com about the synergy system, and they have posts from people who A/B tested preamp pedals vs the synergy module counterpart vs the real head and they say things like, "Pedal gets me 80% there, synergy module gets me 95% there" when compared to the real amp.  Most people there seem to feel the power-amp section colors tone minimally, and that you are getting very close to the targeted amp with these preamp modules into whatever power amp you run it into.

The SYN1 chassis is $400 and each module is about $400 ($300 each used on reverb).  So after the initial investment in the chassis, I could change my Friedman Dirty Shirley to be a close approximation of Soldano SLO, or a Dumble Overdrive Special, or a fender Tweed Deluxe, or whatever modules exist for about $400 per.  Compare that to the cost of the real amp, where a SLO-30 would be $3000 or more. 

One question I have is what happens when a preamp tube blows in one of these modules, can anyone capable of replacing the tube in a regular amp do it in one of the synergy modules?

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Its an exciting Monday, The Koffs play our 1st show together Monday. I think this is the best music project I've ever been a part of and people are going to be blown away. 13 original songs, each under 2 minutes and most are bangers. Im stoked.

I bought this versatile little pedal to make my bass sound fatter. Im only using the compressor and a little octave, but its got a pre-amp and fuzz if i ever need to DI into a PA. Not a bad device for under $100 bucks.

And we got merch! 20220801_102013.jpgResized_Resized_20220727_131413.jpg

Kick ass, have fun, and post more artifacts of the show :D

• Like 1

Any experience with Adorama purchases? They have a great deal on an open box Gretsch. It is calling me.

"Used Gretsch Electromatic G5420T Electric Guitar - Aspen Green SKU#1419725 2506011553" https://www.adorama.com/us1419725.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjw852XBhC6ARIsAJsFPN2Rz-XP03g8HfFYc2UNY3xmBjprOnUckG650Fk2kRWuz4wIpRtN3BQaAighEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQjw852XBhC6ARIsAJsFPN2Rz-XP03g8HfFYc2UNY3xmBjprOnUckG650Fk2kRWuz4wIpRtN3BQaAighEALw_wcB&utm_source=adl-gbase-p

• Like 1

Kick ass, have fun, and post more artifacts of the show

I meant we play Friday. Still.
Any experience with Adorama purchases? They have a great deal on an open box Gretsch. It is calling me.

"Used Gretsch Electromatic G5420T Electric Guitar - Aspen Green SKU#1419725 2506011553" https://www.adorama.com/us1419725.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjw852XBhC6ARIsAJsFPN2Rz-XP03g8HfFYc2UNY3xmBjprOnUckG650Fk2kRWuz4wIpRtN3BQaAighEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQjw852XBhC6ARIsAJsFPN2Rz-XP03g8HfFYc2UNY3xmBjprOnUckG650Fk2kRWuz4wIpRtN3BQaAighEALw_wcB&utm_source=adl-gbase-p

Yes, I've bought two guitars from them. They've been great to work with. One time I had to call because the item's (Gretsch DuoJet) price ent up once in my cart. They found the price I had seen

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Its an exciting Monday, The Koffs play our 1st show together Monday. I think this is the best music project I've ever been a part of and people are going to be blown away. 13 original songs, each under 2 minutes and most are bangers. Im stoked.

I bought this versatile little pedal to make my bass sound fatter. Im only using the compressor and a little octave, but its got a pre-amp and fuzz if i ever need to DI into a PA. Not a bad device for under $100 bucks.

And we got merch! 20220801_102013.jpgResized_Resized_20220727_131413.jpg

How do we get some merch

• Like 1