The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Are we 80/20 people or phosphor bronze people?

I’ve used 80/20s for a while but I don’t know why and I’m trying phosphor bronze. But strings in my acoustics last me years and I have no idea how old the comparison set is. I have more 80/20s but I don’t care enough to restring another guitar

I remember buying my first guitar. At some point I needed new strings and went to Guitar Center and was overwhelmed by the wall of choices, unable to fathom what I might possibly need. An employee came over to see what I needed and proceeded to talk down to me for not having any idea what I wanted. Fuck that guy and fuck GC. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

I remember buying my first guitar. At some point I needed new strings and went to Guitar Center and was overwhelmed by the wall of choices, unable to fathom what I might possibly need. An employee came over to see what I needed and proceeded to talk down to me for not having any idea what I wanted. Fuck that guy and fuck GC. 

I never did this in the 2 years I worked there. I always payed more attention to the beginners. I was the number 2 salesman in our region. But used to tell people I’d make their mom/dad bring back the instrument if they didn’t practice 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bogeywon said:

I never did this in the 2 years I worked there. I always payed more attention to the beginners. I was the number 2 salesman in our region. But used to tell people I’d make their mom/dad bring back the instrument if they didn’t practice 

Shame you weren't working at the GC by me that day. 

7 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

It was better then 3 guitarist playing sweet home Alabama at once while all untuned. That was fun….

You went to a recent Lynyrd Skynyrd show?

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I don’t think I’ve ever picked up a tuned guitar at guitar center

The employees are too busy sniffing their own farts to tune the guitars on the wall. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think I've been in Guitar Center maybe 2 or 3 times. When I lived in California my fiance at the time lived around the corner from the one in Sunset. They had some really rad shit to look at in that one. I have been in the one here once for something really random that I couldn't wait a day on I think.

I've a friend who married more disposable cash than he can spend that collects things like guitars, guns, sports memorabilia, Pappy Van Winkle,,,,etc. He doesn't play a lick & won't let anyone touch the guitars. Expensive guitars, new and vintage...won't sell anything. I used to go to GC with him & marvel at the managers fawning over their prized whale. 

Won't drink the PVW either...

csb

30 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

I've a friend who married more disposable cash than he can spend that collects things like guitars, guns, sports memorabilia, Pappy Van Winkle,,,,etc. He doesn't play a lick & won't let anyone touch the guitars. Expensive guitars, new and vintage...won't sell anything. I used to go to GC with him & marvel at the managers fawning over their prized whale. 

Won't drink the PVW either...

csb

He sounds terrible.

• Like 3

I think I've been in Guitar Center maybe 2 or 3 times. When I lived in California my fiance at the time lived around the corner from the one in Sunset. They had some really rad shit to look at in that one. I have been in the one here once for something really random that I couldn't wait a day on I think.

The sunset GC is legit, in terms of the shit they stock.

16 hours ago, Deej said:

Guitar Center made buying a guitar online, sight unseen, reasonable. 

My friends that ran the local indy music store back in the day  used to complain about people coming in and looking at their stuff, then ordering from Musiciansfriend for a lower price. The Guitar Center came along and said, "Musiciansfriend, hold my beer..."

1 minute ago, DougO said:

Mars Music was so much cooler than GC, but that model didn't work out so well. I don't know how Guitar Center stays in business, after being rumored as going bankrupt for over a decade.

Ha, I almost forgot about Mars. I think my 2555SL Marshall came from Mars now that I think about it.

My friends that ran the local indy music store back in the day  used to complain about people coming in and looking at their stuff, then ordering from Musiciansfriend for a lower price. The Guitar Center came along and said, "Musiciansfriend, hold my beer..."

I thought Musiciansfriend and Guitar Center were related somehow??

11 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:
20 minutes ago, DougO said:

I thought Musiciansfriend and Guitar Center were related somehow??

Guitar center bought them out a while back. They started as two separate things. 

Edited by DougO

17 hours ago, DougO said:

Mars Music was so much cooler than GC, but that model didn't work out so well. I don't know how Guitar Center stays in business, after being rumored as going bankrupt for over a decade.

I used to sell against mars. I always kicked there ass. But I wasn’t a dick either. If I could knock $100 off a guitar because the GP (Gross Profit) was $200 I would. $100 for you $100 for me. We never made shit off of fender. Like maybe $90-$110 at best in GP. That’s how you lead in the region. You could look up GP and see where you ranked. We had a D41 that at cost was like 1799.99. I got everything at cost back then but at 18 that may as well have been $1,799,999.99. Csb sorry lol

On 8/16/2022 at 6:55 PM, Deej said:

It was easy for me. I bought the store brand Heart Of Texas Music strings, which were just rebranded D'Addario, and always sold 2 for 1.

As far as acoustical, I just bought whatever I could afford. Once in a while someone would give me a set and I was done buying for a decade or so.

Edited by DougO

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

This is sick as fuck.

Got into Vegas last night. Met the guys at the hotel, which is already crawling with metalheads. Did some gambling, checked out the stage we play, and hung out till - fairly early for Vegas time.

This morning we did artist check in. Got credentials and checked in merch. Met the guy who's running the whole thing, and the guy who got us in. Super nice guys, its amazing that they can do all this. We were in the back stage areas where artists are still building props and whatnot.

Incredible to see what goes into something like this. 6 hours till we hit the stage and kick the whole thing off!
20220817_230809.jpg20220817_230823.jpg20220818_112428.jpg20220818_112924.jpg

Break a leg my friend.  You're living the dream for everyone in this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

This is sick as fuck.

Got into Vegas last night. Met the guys at the hotel, which is already crawling with metalheads. Did some gambling, checked out the stage we play, and hung out till - fairly early for Vegas time.

This morning we did artist check in. Got credentials and checked in merch. Met the guy who's running the whole thing, and the guy who got us in. Super nice guys, its amazing that they can do all this. We were in the back stage areas where artists are still building props and whatnot.

Incredible to see what goes into something like this. 6 hours till we hit the stage and kick the whole thing off!
20220817_230809.jpg20220817_230823.jpg20220818_112428.jpg

\m/(>o<)\m/

• Like 1

Thank you guys for letting me indulge myself here. Honestly, I've been nerding out on guitars with some of you on this thread, in all its incarnations, for far longer than I have with anybody in real life! Some of you may remember I used to come to Vegas for a work conference every year and a vendor would let us come up and perform on stage like we were pros. It hit me this morning that it kinda brings it full circle to be here as an actual artist. My goal is to have us invited back next year.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:
39 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Thank you guys for letting me indulge myself here. Honestly, I've been nerding out on guitars with some of you on this thread, in all its incarnations, for far longer than I have with anybody in real life! Some of you may remember I used to come to Vegas for a work conference every year and a vendor would let us come up and perform on stage like we were pros. It hit me this morning that it kinda brings it full circle to be here as an actual artist. My goal is to have us invited back next year.

Dude, enjoy!  I love catching glimpses of your enthusiasm.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DougO said:

New guitar related kind of thing day.

guitarspatch.jpg

That brings up a want I have.  Anyone got some guitar/music outdoor art suggestions to hang outside my studio/office?  Was considering a DIY strat design made of barbed wire affixed to a plate of light wood for contrast, but I never seem to have time.

C6E7FCBC-69CB-4FC4-8F53-BE18FAA7051C.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Goredho said:

That brings up a want I have.  Anyone got some guitar/music outdoor art suggestions to hang outside my studio/office?  Was considering a DIY strat design made of barbed wire affixed to a plate of light wood for contrast, but I never seem to have time.

C6E7FCBC-69CB-4FC4-8F53-BE18FAA7051C.jpeg

Neon....that is all

After a long back order wait my Martin D-12 28 came in. I have wanted one of these for decades, just so damn expensive. It's a bear to play, but the extra effort is helping my 6 string playing...sort of like running with leg weights on...when you take them off you feel light as a feather. It's making me conscious of buzzing and sloppy fretting since you have twice as many strings to accidentally mute or mis-fret, so I guess that's a lesson I needed. Hard to play, but it really does sound like the proverbial chorus of angels. 

• Like 3

After a long back order wait my Martin D-12 28 came in. I have wanted one of these for decades, just so damn expensive. It's a bear to play, but the extra effort is helping my 6 string playing...sort of like running with leg weights on...when you take them off you feel light as a feather. It's making me conscious of buzzing and sloppy fretting since you have twice as many strings to accidentally mute or mis-fret, so I guess that's a lesson I needed. Hard to play, but it really does sound like the proverbial chorus of angels. 

This post would go better with a side of pics.

Just got back from a quick trip to NYC to catch my daughter's band play Mercury Lounge on Monday night.  It was their first time out of Austin.  To say I was proud of them would be understating it quite a bit -- they fucking rocked it.  Four late-teen girls and they DO NOT play like a "girl band".  Somewhere between Hole, Nirvana and a garage band, and the crowd ate it up.  Had to fly out yesterday, so I missed their other 4 shows, but it sounds like the crowds are getting bigger and bigger, and somebody spray painted their name about 30 feet up in the air in huge letters on a building.  These girls have "it" (even if I might be a little biased).  Kid has done more in her first 19 years than I ever did, and it's not really much of a horse race at that.

Cool to see it working for you, too, @AnotherUTFan.  The world needs more surlyrawk.

Oh, yeah.  Fuck American Airlines.  31 hours, hotel to house.  That's 31 hours.  LGA --> DFW (nope can't land, weather, running out of fuel) --> OKC --> DFW --> AUS with at least two dozen delays along the way.  Had to spend 5 hours in a dumpy OKC hotel because one flight attendant had hit her hours and so they couldn't turn back to DFW.  That was 1 AM this morning, and the rest of the day didn't get any better.  Meanwhile, Southwest is dropping jets all over ABIA yet AA says the airport is shut down.  Fuck those fuckers.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just got back from a quick trip to NYC to catch my daughter's band play Mercury Lounge on Monday night.  It was their first time out of Austin.  To say I was proud of them would be understating it quite a bit -- they fucking rocked it.  Four late-teen girls and they DO NOT play like a "girl band".  Somewhere between Hole, Nirvana and a garage band, and the crowd ate it up.  Had to fly out yesterday, so I missed their other 4 shows, but it sounds like the crowds are getting bigger and bigger, and somebody spray painted their name about 30 feet up in the air in huge letters on a building.  These girls have "it" (even if I might be a little biased).  Kid has done more in her first 19 years than I ever did, and it's not really much of a horse race at that.

Cool to see it working for you, too, @AnotherUTFan.  The world needs more surlyrawk.

Oh, yeah.  Fuck American Airlines.  31 hours, hotel to house.  That's 31 hours.  LGA --> DFW (nope can't land, weather, running out of fuel) --> OKC --> DFW --> AUS with at least two dozen delays along the way.  Had to spend 5 hours in a dumpy OKC hotel because one flight attendant had hit her hours and so they couldn't turn back to DFW.  That was 1 AM this morning, and the rest of the day didn't get any better.  Meanwhile, Southwest is dropping jets all over ABIA yet AA says the airport is shut down.  Fuck those fuckers.

We need guitar pictures.