The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

This was mine.  zy3vyf0yp2iqnxejaup3.jpg

My first Dano as well. And I have the amp in case as well. Two actually.
medium_6a4dcfeb-c6df-424d-948a-2ee3c4531de3.jpg?v=1641166074I’ve had a bunch of weird guitars since then.  My favorite is my Tokai Japanese strat.  

There’s a guy at the guitar show who has two booths full of Tokais every year. They’re great.

But for sure those original Danelectros were not easy guitars to play and are very difficult to keep in tune.

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

My first Dano as well. And I have the amp in case as well. Two actually.
There’s a guy at the guitar show who has two booths full of Tokais every year. They’re great.

It’s a great guitar.   I’ve played a number of 1950s strats and it feels right there.   (the Tokai)

So on the Danelectros,  are they Sears models that came with the amp?  Mine was but like I said I dug it out of my neighbors trash can, he bought a Melody Maker and threw his first guitar away.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

I had one for a while. Sold it to a guy that wanted to keep it on his boat. It was unbelievably clear. When they say "bell like" they mean it. It was also very unforgiving of any mistakes. If you misfret, you and everyone around will know it. Did I say it was really clear? It sounded amazing and had huge projection. Always stable and stayed in tune for months and months. It was also nice not having to worry about humidity or if you accidentally left it in the car in less than ideal weather. 

The N2 neck is U shape if that matters to you. 

Also, if you get one, go full tilt and get the carbon top. Ted at LA Guitar Sales was great for me when I purchased mine. 

Oh, and sharks are cooler than birds for fret markers. 

Thanks. I’d have to find somewhere where I could go play one.

It’s a great guitar.   I’ve played a number of 1950s strats and it feels right there.   (the Tokai)
So on the Danelectros,  are they Sears models that came with the amp?  Mine was but like I said I dug it out of my neighbors trash can, he bought a Melody Maker and threw his first guitar away.  

Danelectro made them for Sears. The Sears brand was “Silvertone” which is what mine says across the top. It’s not a particularly good guitar and I bought solely because (a) as noted above Jimmy Page had one for slide and (b) there was a guy at a guitar shop in Lewisville who had them stacked like chord wood and was selling them cheap.

I’ve since bought a newer Korean made U-3 for slide. It’s a much much better guitar. The Silvertone hangs on the wall and looks sparkly.

I've been kind of pondering getting an Yamaki acoustic from the 60s. There's a lot of fantastic Japanese guitars out there for not much money

This is no lie. My buddy’s first guitar is a late 80s LPB Squier he bought at Zoo Music in Dallas. I’d put it up against any Strat but maybe the Custom Shop models. Great guitar.

48 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Danelectro made them for Sears. The Sears brand was “Silvertone” which is what mine says across the top. It’s not a particularly good guitar and I bought solely because (a) as noted above Jimmy Page had one for slide and (b) there was a guy at a guitar shop in Lewisville who had them stacked like chord wood and was selling them cheap.

I’ve since bought a newer Korean made U-3 for slide. It’s a much much better guitar. The Silvertone hangs on the wall and looks sparkly.

5 watt world did a cool feature on the Danelectro if you haven't seen.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deej said:

Let's start with that headstock. 

Knew this was coming…. Listen let’s settle this right now. If you are in a fight and you can grab a strat or a PRS You are grabbing the PRS just based on the fact you can stab someone with the headstock. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bogeywon said:

Knew this was coming…. Listen let’s settle this right now. If you are in a fight and you can grab a strat or a PRS You are grabbing the PRS just based on the fact you can stab someone with the headstock. 

Forgot to add it will still be in tune after :)

Since we were talking about strings recently, there's a MF stupid deal today for anyone who wants to stock up on some 10s.

Gauges 10-13-17-26-36-46. Pack of 12.

World-renowned as "The Player's Choice" among guitarists of all genres and styles. EXL strings are wound with nickel-plated steel, known for it's distinctive bright tone and reduced fret wear. EXL110s are among D'Addario's most popular round-wound, nickel-plated electric guitar
... Read More
Was:  Regular Price $69.99Savings:  Your Savings $30.00Your Price $39.99

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Since we were talking about strings recently, there's a MF stupid deal today for anyone who wants to stock up on some 10s.

Gauges 10-13-17-26-36-46. Pack of 12.

World-renowned as "The Player's Choice" among guitarists of all genres and styles. EXL strings are wound with nickel-plated steel, known for it's distinctive bright tone and reduced fret wear. EXL110s are among D'Addario's most popular round-wound, nickel-plated electric guitar
... Read More
Was:  Regular Price $69.99Savings:  Your Savings $30.00Your Price $39.99

Took advantage, thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

I just got this one out for the 1st time in a while to put on fresh strings, but evidently i did that the last time she was out.

This is a great sounding guitar. Just howls and feedback is always at the ready. Only issue is that it can be hard to hit clean bends above the 12th fret. You can do it, but you better be paying attention.

97f56cf77abcba0ac439c99255f06824.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I just got this one out for the 1st time in a while to put on fresh strings, but evidently i did that the last time she was out.

This is a great sounding guitar. Just howls and feedback is always at the ready. Only issue is that it can be hard to hit clean bends above the 12th fret. You can do it, but you better be paying attention.

97f56cf77abcba0ac439c99255f06824.jpg

Who signed the pick guard?

21 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Who signed the pick guard?

I got Fred Gretsch (IV?), Tom Jones (of TV Jones), and Joe Carducci (now retired product marketing manager for Gretsch at Fender) to sign it at NAMM not long after I bought it.

Gretsch is independent as a manufacturer as I understand it, but Fender handles all their marketing and distribution. Something like that. Or did, its been a while since I paid attention. Joe was at Fender for decades and is one the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I had a few conversations with him at NAMM over the years when I used to go.

https://www.gretsch.com/guitarist/joe-carducci/

Edited by AnotherUTFan
  • Like 1

I think I promised live shots on this thread . . . here's my daughter's band in NYC last week.  All 4 ladies are ~ 20 years old.  My daughter is the drummer.  No, I'm not disclosing the name of the band, although I probably have already.  If you know it, keep it under wraps as a favor to me, thanks.  They don't need internet creepers.  "Hey, do you make chili and hate Trump like your Dad?"

IMG_3067.MOV

No idea why it won't embed.  I'm an idiot.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

I was about to say that the drummer is a fuckin champ and was trying to figure out if your daughter was singing or in the JNCOs, but now I see that you mentioned she's the one on the throne. Killer - actually surprisingly well balanced for a live video on a cell phone, they all have good moves even the bassist, good energy, but yeah - killer job on the drums.

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

I was about to say that the drummer is a fuckin champ and was trying to figure out if your daughter was singing or in the JNCOs, but now I see that you mentioned she's the one on the throne. Killer - actually surprisingly well balanced for a live video on a cell phone, they all have good moves even the bassist, good energy, but yeah - killer job on the drums.

Thanks.  I'm getting over covid (or what I think was covid, my wife has it, and I was similarly sick last weekend) -- what's a JNCO?

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm the father of a 20-YO girl and I am on the old end of the range to have a kid that age.  I thought he mis-typed "JUCOs" which made even less sense.

I mean their heyday was in the 90s.

But anyway, I don't know what thread to put this but my latest pet project is resurrecting these old Whirlwind connectors from the late 60s with new Mogami cable.

IMG-20220825-150330665.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think I promised live shots on this thread . . . here's my daughter's band in NYC last week.  All 4 ladies are ~ 20 years old.  My daughter is the drummer.  No, I'm not disclosing the name of the band, although I probably have already.  If you know it, keep it under wraps as a favor to me, thanks.  They don't need internet creepers.  "Hey, do you make chili and hate Trump like your Dad?"

IMG_3067.MOV 13.28 MB · 12 downloads

No idea why it won't embed.  I'm an idiot.

There's venue down the road from me that often keeps me up too late on work nights because they put on awesome shows all the time. Usually a touring band and a couple local bands in support, with the money at the door going to the touring band. I always think this must be what it was like living near CBGB in the late 70's.

I have a feeling I'll be walking down the hill to see your daughter's band in the not too distant future. I do know the band name, and my lips are sealed!

We did have an awesome band from San Antonio a few months ago, Pinko. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

There's venue down the road from me that often keeps me up too late on work nights because they put on awesome shows all the time. Usually a touring band and a couple local bands in support, with the money at the door going to the touring band. I always think this must be what it was like living near CBGB in the late 70's.

I have a feeling I'll be walking down the hill to see your daughter's band in the not too distant future.

Well, it had better be during winter break, because I'm fronting her costs at UT right now.  I'm cool with the incessant gigging in Austin, but another tour?  Nope, not during the semester.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Somewhere I have a Whirlwind guitar cable I got ~ 1985 with a Yamaha double cutaway I bought used.  White plastic tips on a black cable.

That thing is still going strong.  It's nuts how durable it is.

One of these ones?

asifppfk4ownlfxpyxdz.jpg