The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think I promised live shots on this thread . . . here's my daughter's band in NYC last week.  All 4 ladies are ~ 20 years old.  My daughter is the drummer.  No, I'm not disclosing the name of the band, although I probably have already.  If you know it, keep it under wraps as a favor to me, thanks.  They don't need internet creepers.  "Hey, do you make chili and hate Trump like your Dad?"

IMG_3067.MOV 13.28 MB · 16 downloads

No idea why it won't embed.  I'm an idiot.

They are intardnet stalk worthy, but I'll refrain.  Congrats, you have every reason to be a proud papa.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Similar, but is the barrel on that brass?  Mine is all chrome.  If I still have it.

She's in the video.

Yeah its a brass barrel chrome tip.

I was surprised how good it sounded when I plugged it in today with that old ass brass

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think I promised live shots on this thread . . . here's my daughter's band in NYC last week.  All 4 ladies are ~ 20 years old.  My daughter is the drummer.  No, I'm not disclosing the name of the band, although I probably have already.  If you know it, keep it under wraps as a favor to me, thanks.  They don't need internet creepers.  "Hey, do you make chili and hate Trump like your Dad?"

IMG_3067.MOV 13.28 MB · 16 downloads

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

She's in the video.

QUESTION:
Were they playing in Manhattan? or Brooklyn?

I was in town (NYC), but caring for my sister’s old dogs that prefer to piss & poop and occasionally destroy shit when away for too long… like last night when I went to meet up in Brooklyn to hear some random experimental ~”music” above a Döner Kebab place.

I didn’t go out until Tuesday night when I saw The Shins for $19+8-something in convenience feels, but they didn’t rock out like your kid’s band. 

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

QUESTION:
Were they playing in Manhattan? or Brooklyn?

I was in town (NYC), but caring for my sister’s old dogs that prefer to piss & poop and occasionally destroy shit when away for too long… like last night when I went to meet up in Brooklyn to hear some random experimental ~”music” above a Döner Kebab place.

I didn’t go out until Tuesday night when I saw The Shins for $19+8-something in convenience feels, but they didn’t rock out like your kid’s band. 

Both.  3 shows Brooklyn, 2 Manhattan.  I saw them at Mercury Lounge (different night than the video above, not my video either).

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Both.  3 shows Brooklyn, 2 Manhattan.  I saw them at Mercury Lounge (different night than the video above, not my video either).

They seem like they pretty much rock. I would go see them if there were such thing as a non-shitty venue that hosts rock-type bands that don't suck around here.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, G650 said:

I get strong Breeders vibes from them, which is rad.

On that song, yes, the chord progression is pretty much a Breeders rip-off, at least in the verse.  Mostly they're closer to Hole, some Nirvana, some garage-y punk like Misfits, etc.  Here's one from that same night with the other guitarist sing/screaming, she only does a couple of songs (as does my daughter, she steps out from the kit and they switch places, but that's not what's happening here).  Don't know if this will play:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

On that song, yes, the chord progression is pretty much a Breeders rip-off, at least in the verse.  Mostly they're closer to Hole, some Nirvana, some garage-y punk like Misfits, etc.  Here's one from that same night with the other guitarist sing/screaming, she only does a couple of songs (as does my daughter, she steps out from the kit and they switch places, but that's not what's happening here).  Don't know if this will play:

Yeah there's definitely a lot of early Nirvana in that one. I get all wistful seeing young folks that into music.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I should revisit some of his stuff and am going to read his latest “The 90’s”. I think Killing Yourself To Live” was my favorite but I enjoyed Fargo Rock City, which he wrote in response to Michael Azzerad’s excellent “Our Band Could Be Your Life” about the 80’s alternative rock underground. Klostermann’s premise is that the glam rock that alternative bands were an alternative to was unironically awesome.

Guitarcenter daily pick:

Epiphone ES-335 Traditional Pro Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar Metallic Gold

Item #:1500000330641 POS #: 116704198
  •  

•  
Reviews (40)|Q&A Ask a question
  • Maple top and body
  • Mahogany neck with Rounded C profile
  • Indian laurel fingerboard
More Features
$399.00$599.00Save: $200.00 (33%)

Also their week long special:

Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Maple Fingerboard Limited-Edition Electric Guitar Sonic Blue

Item #:1500000335675 POS #: 116714510
  •  

•  

•  

•  

•  

Reviews (15)|Q&A Ask a question
  • Gloss-finish solid alder body
  • Bolt-on maple neck with maple fingerboard
  • Fender Player Series Stratocaster pickups single-coil neck/middle, bridge humbucker
More Features
$649.99$879.99Save: $230.00 (26%)

The 335 is kind of tempting, as I am way overdue for a new guitar. But I really need to downsize and make some room.

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

If I could could have any guitarists chops to be own I’d pick Joe Walsh.

For me it would probably be Audley Freed. His style with Cry Of Love is like what I would play if I could. Grissom would be in the running as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I re-imagined my pedal board in anticipation of our show tonight. Everything on the bottom i switch off and on during songs, by spacing them out it'll take less concentration to avoid accidently hitting 2. I use nothing on the top with Vary Mary or Dirty Years, but I can run them inline or place the modulation effects in the loop when I do. I can also give the Reverb and Delay to a vocalist when needed.

Tonight I'm running the Orange Gretsch into a EVH 5150 iii that I've been practicing with all week. Great amp.

The 5150 iii is a contender for my new head, but I'm able to dial in all the gain I need to get my sound from Channel 1. Channels 2 and 3 are a lot of fun, but I dont know that I'd ever need them unless I start a metal band. Actually, I have some material written for a future project that could use Channel 2.

I want to spend time with a JCM800 and an Orange Rockerverb 50. I think these are the 3 im down to.

Before d7fff91246a3a8263985ebf3d5b7a65c.jpg

After
93051bc48c49c55cff4b3da1cd7d2668.jpg

• Like 2

BTW, I can't tell you what a tickle i get everytime I stomp on that Shaggy Screamer - especially on a stage.

It gives me an equal kick when I see some of you guys post your rigs and I see it there.

That was one of the most rewarding project I've ever completed.

Edit - and while I'm sitting here killing some down time. I dreamt last night that I got a Rickenbacker bass as a backup, but ended up liking it more than my P-Bass. Now I'm going to go play some Rickenbasses. That may have been a premonition.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

BTW, I can't tell you what a tickle i get everytime I stomp on that Shaggy Screamer - especially on a stage.

It gives me an equal kick when I see some of you guys post your rigs and I see it there.

That was one of the most rewarding project I've ever completed.

It put a lot of good karma out into the world for sure.
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I re-imagined my pedal board in anticipation of our show tonight. Everything on the bottom i switch off and on during songs, by spacing them out it'll take less concentration to avoid accidently hitting 2. I use nothing on the top with Vary Mary or Dirty Years, but I can run them inline or place the modulation effects in the loop when I do. I can also give the Reverb and Delay to a vocalist when needed.

Tonight I'm running the Orange Gretsch into a EVH 5150 iii that I've been practicing with all week. Great amp.

The 5150 iii is a contender for my new head, but I'm able to dial in all the gain I need to get my sound from Channel 1. Channels 2 and 3 are a lot of fun, but I dont know that I'd ever need them unless I start a metal band. Actually, I have some material written for a future project that could use Channel 2. emoji848.png

I want to spend time with a JCM800 and an Orange Rockerverb 50. I think these are the 3 im down to.

After

Have you thought about getting a loop switcher for the pedals?

The 5150 iii is a contender for my new head, but I'm able to dial in all the gain I need to get my sound from Channel 1. Channels 2 and 3 are a lot of fun, but I dont know that I'd ever need them unless I start a metal band. Actually, I have some material written for a future project that could use Channel 2.

After

What is the pedal with the face?

How do you like the Pitchfork? I have a Harmonist and hate it.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/fender-jerry-garcia-alligator-stratocaster?utm_medium=social&utm_content=guitar-world&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR3yIurjgHtATxaen6WF5RdBKf5G2z4iQytZkc_d9jkVAGRuKu1C3c1tvpU#l7dkwdaih39wrbw7wa5

This is pretty cool.  I'm not a huge Dead/Jerry Garcia fan, but I can appreciate this. It’s pretty freaking cool.  Most of these super expensive reissues, I’m like, “that’s the same guitar that you make 1000 of, and sell for 1/10 the price, but you put a few more dings on it.”  This one, you would really have to work to make each one like the original.  Is it worth $20k?  Not for me.  But there can be no doubt of the effort they went to for this one.

F79fxpirGEG2Bcc2ViosjB-970-80.jpg.webp

Edited by Chad Fuck

I posted the wrong song! This is one of my favorites, and I think its the last song Vary Mary will ever play live. Fitting title.

Goodbye

This one features the Shaggy Screamer for the solo, and a little of how I use my Bigsby. I also noticed my foot is on the Shaggy Screamer in one of the photos I posted above. Great shot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

How humid is too humid for guitars? We got back from vacation last night to a flooded basement. Luckily all guitars were on the wall or off the floor in one way or another, but now the basement is full of fans and dehumidifiers for a few days.

Depends on time. I wouldn't think that small of an exposure would hurt. Honestly it's probably less humidity than my gear is subjected to on a daily basis just by virtue of the proximity to the ocean and ambient humidity here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Not that it's any of my business, but why is Vary Mary calling it quits?  Did I miss something?
Our singer is super talented, but a pain in the ass to work with. That's why we never bothered finding a replacement drummer. He came back into this with brand new, improved attitude because he's seeing me on stage with other bands and wants to play again. So I thought there was hope of resurrecting it and even had a few drummers in mind. By the time we got to the venue I was 90% sure i was done with him, that turned to 100% when mid-set he turns and asks me if we can skip a song on the setlist he doesn't like. I responded by tearing into the riff and letting him decide if he wants to sing it or stand there looking like an idiot. Of course he was long gone by the time load out came.

I texted Jessica in the morning that I couldn't be in a band with him anymore and she replied that she didn't want to do it either. Im gonna have to break the news to him next time I see him. Its not gonna go well, he's still high from the success of Saturday.

I wrote a bunch of songs, formed a band and got an album out there. I learned a ton and there's a lot I'd do differently looking back, but there's a lot for me to be proud of and a lot to carry into my next project. I have like 3 that have been on the back burner im going to move on to, plus I have The Koffs, they would love for me to write.

Speaking of The Koffs, everybody there is so easy to work with and just glad to have each other. Our singer is almost guilty that he doesn't play an instrument and compensates by helping us load gear and doing everything he can to help. Vary Mary was like that until we let one guy in.

Be careful who you into your band. I guess thats a big lesson learned.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 7:30 PM, hullabelew said:

What is the pedal with the face?

How do you like the Pitchfork? I have a Harmonist and hate it.

@hullabelew I missed this.

Walrus Audio Julia. I don't really use it. I left it one there because it was expensive and there was space for it. I really hope to find a use for it some day.

Link

I bought the Pitchfork because I heard a use for an octave pedal in the song Waiting when I was writing it nd it had great reviews. I only use it for the very end of that song. It's a hella fun pedal and I love having it on my pedalboard. I use it more when I just jamming alone at home. I have it in latching mode, so its only on when my foot is physically on it. So you can just play a few notes with the effect and bring it in and out. Hope to find more to do with it in the future. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

i keep trying to come up with stage names for the Koffs. LIke there's Joey, Johnny, Deedee Ramone, etc. But all I can come up with is Jack. Maybe Nabo if anyone is into literature or underage girls.

I'm ded.

34 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

By the time we got to the venue I was 90% sure i was done with him, that turned to 100% when mid-set he turns and asks me if we can skip a song on the setlist he doesn't like. I responded by tearing into the riff and letting him decide if he wants to sing it or stand there looking like an idiot. 

Been there.  I have worked for decades with a guy who has innate talent as a guitarist in terms of writing riffs and hooks, but over time he has become less interested in ironing out the details.  He's pretty dark in general.  I have always put up with it because I really admire the shit he comes up with.  That all ended at a gig we thought might turn out well but ended up being a complete joke, and he got pissed because it wasn't going well in terms of anyone paying attention to us (mid-day, sports event, every audience member exhausted from their efforts) and he looked at me and said "I'm outta here".  My blood pressure skyrocketed, I looked back and said "the fuck we are" and broke into the next song.  He had no choice but to play along or look like a complete dick.  I lost a lot of respect for him that day, and although we still work on stuff I won't let myself get pushed around any longer.  At least I fucking work to "perfect" whatever craft I have.

• Like 1

Thats exactly it. Our guy doesn't come to most practices because he has to "protect his voice", which has never bothered me because we don't really need him there anyway and he always shows up on stage prepared. Since he's rarely there, he has no idea how much work we put into developing these songs and rehearsing our parts to be ready for a show. It was a slap inn the face to all of us to say you want to skip one, elven more to say it right on stage in the middle of the set. I was up there thinking, "this is supposed to be fun and this guy just killed my fun"!

If you don't like something, why not come to work with us some time and help make it better? You have any idea how hard it is to come up with and develop an original song? At least for me it is.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1