The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

7 hours ago, Deej said:

Played for an hour before work this morning. That Tele is so comfortable to play and sounds really good. This has convinced me that on Fender-style guitars, I really prefer a 7.25" radius neck and vintage-style frets. My Esquire has the same and both just play so much more easily to me.  

My 64 AV has that and it's super comfy to play.  Got to be careful not to fret out the high bends though.

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

oh that's interesting - I did't know they made a spruce topped d15 (as opposed to the mahogany d15M). Purty. I need a hog/spruce Martin. I guess I kinda sorta have one with my old DM but of course, that's a 30 year old budget model with laminate back and sides.

Yeah apparently it was a limited run. The D15 was right in the range I was looking for but I didn't want all mahogany so was pleased to stumble across this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnotherUTFan said:
5 minutes ago, G650 said:
Also my old Hohner is as budget as it gets but I'd still be playing it right now if the back didn't blow out. My first guitar, got it in 2nd grade as a present from my aunt and uncle

A good Luther can probably fix that for a lot less that you'de think.

I actually plan on doing it myself, I just know it's going to be awhile

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:
42 minutes ago, G650 said:
Also my old Hohner is as budget as it gets but I'd still be playing it right now if the back didn't blow out. My first guitar, got it in 2nd grade as a present from my aunt and uncle

A good Luther can probably fix that for a lot less that you'de think.

If Erlewine can keep Trigger playable...

57 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

oh that's interesting - I did't know they made a spruce topped d15 (as opposed to the mahogany d15M). Purty. I need a hog/spruce Martin. I guess I kinda sorta have one with my old DM but of course, that's a 30 year old budget model with laminate back and sides.

Truth be told my nearly 4 decades DM sounds better than the 9 series Taylor, absolutely better than a D-28 that went down the road. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, noharleyyet said:

Truth be told my nearly 4 decades DM sounds better than the 9 series Taylor, absolutely better than a D-28 that went down the road. 

Yeah I think that my hd-28 is my best sounding spruce topped Martin but the DM is in the mix. It sounds and plays great, I should pull it out.

I do find that it varies even with the same guitar. I don’t know enough science to say if it’s about the humidity or what but, as an example, I pulled out my j45 the other day and it sounded tiny. Let it hand on the wall for a few days and it was much better. Actually should I be worried about that? Spent a long time staring at it and didn’t notice any signs of distress or anything, and this is a phenomenon I’ve noticed in a different climate/house as well as where I am.

Edited by Celery Man

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I recall at some point hearing something like... the tension on the neck from the strings is massive compared to what you do by hanging it from the neck, it's not a big deal. But I don't know if that's science or whatever.

It's science.  Total tension on an acoustic guitar neck can easily exceed 100 lbs, and can get as high as 250 lbs.  The guitar itself (which is what would be reacted by hanging it by the neck) might weigh 10 lbs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I think the one caveat there is that the headstock on a Les Paul is attached to the neck with a saltine cracker.

This is true. I've seen one fly off in real time.

I think the only real concern with guitar necks, besides not using them to drive a nail or something, is bringing tension on the strings up and down evenly and carefully so you don't warp them. Otherwise they are generally pretty stable these days. Rapid temperature change could be an issue but I just never see an instance where it would happen. It's not like anyone is keeping their axe in the freezer then pulling it out to run under boiling water or something.

This is true. I've seen one fly off in real time.

I think the only real concern with guitar necks, besides not using them to drive a nail or something, is bringing tension on the strings up and down evenly and carefully so you don't warp them. Otherwise they are generally pretty stable these days. Rapid temperature change could be an issue but I just never see an instance where it would happen. It's not like anyone is keeping their axe in the freezer then pulling it out to run under boiling water or something.

I saw once where a guy brought in a steel guitar from a freezing cold bus into a warm theater. He popped the case open and immediately the finish on the steel went all cloudy. It was permanent. Weirdest thing. The guy said it still played alright though.

On 9/19/2022 at 1:00 PM, Goredho said:

https://reverb.com/item/60937930-suhr-alt-t-with-rosewood-fretboard-2018-present-seafoam-green

If anyone here wants it, I'll sell it outside of reverb for $2100 + cost to ship (basically what I paid for it).  They are $3099 MSRP.  PM if interested.

This sold, I guess I priced it too low.  Gonna be getting serious about a long scale Les Paul.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Sold the Hendrix strat- $1300

sold the American tele- $1500

now time to shop. Condensed these 2 into a higher end guitar because I just don’t love either. Also I’d rather have a badass PRS or a vintage Les Paul custom (70 something black beauty)

15B9C0C4-0883-42F2-BD52-FCE2CB018C65.thumb.png.0232dbbfe72125a5131ffd6e261fdd5c.png0471D10F-90ED-44EA-8EC3-B52E28AEC71B.thumb.png.8633ca71ddeb7f3901192a43ec83948e.png0F7CF9A7-1AF1-435F-9E21-F4842FEC373B.thumb.png.d372d9cfe658ab93c3666bd6356bbd46.png70FE2184-4B42-46B9-AA2A-9AF662AF5B29.thumb.png.0105d78a1465c6e39c620fa4e97a7cc5.pngABE7820C-D18F-491C-9A99-C7008E88F495.thumb.png.907c78790021549286a3a9a40afc08dd.png163896DC-F16E-4D42-9EBD-E3BAF00A0BD9.thumb.jpeg.5a8336b0be392743b31e75d981ebe8de.jpegthe tele is a beauty but fuck man just not my style. I have my green MIM I just got with upgraded pickups in it that just sounds better. I think it’s a pro plus or some shit. Total impulse buy. That’s the next. If I buy a strat or tele more like when I’m getting a custom shop. 

Just now, G650 said:

You know this isn't a thing right

Listen I fucking hate tele’s I’m using the word hate here (as good as it gets voice)! BUT I fucking love them because well guitars! If people can’t see the beauty in a PRS top or pick up a custom 24 that plays as well as a strat gives you better strat tones as well as the meaty crunch of a Les Paul combined with its own tones I can’t help! I can see why people want to punch Paul and stab him with his fugly headstock but coke to the dark side 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/22/2022 at 8:19 AM, Deej said:

The more I play this guitar, the more I love it. More lively and resonant than my Baja.

Posting another pic to keep freaking everyone out. 

20220921_210358.thumb.jpg.1637950fbe52801cd457b6284eb76067.jpg

I just can't believe those pickguard screws have been in their as long as they have.

59 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

If people can’t see the beauty in a PRS top or pick up a custom 24 that plays as well as a strat gives you better strat tones as well as the meaty crunch of a Les Paul combined with its own tones I can’t help! I can see why people want to punch Paul and stab him with his fugly headstock but coke to the dark side 

I'm with you.  I'm not a PRS fanboi.  I have one because I wanted something akin to a Languedoc, and, back in 1999, the HBII was as close as I could get.  I don't like exaggerated flame tops and am lukewarm on the headstock (I've seen worse).  But the one I have plays and sounds tremendous.  It's a 10-top, but I don't find the pattern to be jarring like some of them I've seen.  The archtop pickups from that era along with the build quality (second year of the model) are exceptional.  A compact hollowbody that weighs in at 5.x lbs and covers a lot of sonic territory in the solid body spectrum too.  Yes, please.

After the first couple of years, they made changes to the HB models that weren't improvements.  I'm lucky to have jumped on a very early one.

Edited by dcbc