The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

This is correct. In my experience, a split bucker just isn't the same. 
You usually run a single coil pickup through 250k pots and a humbucker through 500k pots. I would think that unless there's some sort of resistor wizardry in the circuit, you're forced to live with either an extremely bright single coil or very muddy humbucker.
  • Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I’ve always wondered about this: for big touring bands do they have guys who switch amps and channels and whatnot on the fly? I’m sure there’s still some stuff on the floor in front of the guitarists like a wah.

Yeah a lot do. I know Slashs tech basically runs his whole setup, and there's varying degrees from there.

• Like 1

SELLING: just purchased this year for $1356 with the case. Have on Facebook market place for$1150. I plugged it in once. Sitting down. Also been stored in case. Stickers still on it. I’ll sell it to one of you peeps for 1050 shipped to your door. Also I’m pretty sure they got the head stock right ;) 69274403-7391-4807-B2E9-23BD7967891C.thumb.jpeg.31289033bca70d3ba3157378f27677e3.jpeg65A51A7E-F765-40C2-BB92-F10241BCB826.thumb.jpeg.c882a6fc5b27582bbe87bca7845ef6a5.jpeg5D7F5E5E-BF69-41EF-83B5-1BEB04A53847.thumb.jpeg.257ae5209de115d24850fbd42db81e40.jpeg3EFEBA13-C76D-436F-BFCF-2936DD009B81.thumb.jpeg.b38badf267cba9d98dbbabe1feaea784.jpegE2D7A68E-2D28-4137-BB15-F248AF7B98BF.thumb.jpeg.ad864dcebf8159a873c57f9d5b809fd9.jpegCC67DCAA-4C92-4105-8078-157AF4D4BA85.thumb.jpeg.1ad6cdf68b380d0ed16c65d33a407181.jpeg2ACA4F72-5715-4952-868A-88E5D31746BB.thumb.jpeg.fa87658314f7226086d0351f87cda9e8.jpeg

CC71CA02-8715-4383-A3AE-CC88579E6550.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Butch Had Not said:

Why are you getting rid of it?

It was my wife and my 10 year wedding anniversary this august. Needed to get rid of 3 guitars to get the money to buy a new engagement ring for her. The three I’m selling are the ones I have the least attachment to. BUT I’m still looking for a 70s Les Paul custom black beauty or a unreal PRS 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

It was my wife and my 10 year wedding anniversary this august. Needed to get rid of 3 guitars to get the money to buy a new engagement ring for her. The three I’m selling are the ones I have the least attachment to. BUT I’m still looking for a 70s Les Paul custom black beauty or a unreal PRS 

Quite the conundrum.  Solution, renew your vows like this.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Kind of a cool video though. Nice of them to drop that D for her so she could just play the 1 finger power chords.

Except the chord progression is wrong.  I mean, she (theoretically) plays the I on the first chord, why skip it later on in the progression and just drop back to the minor iii?

#buzzkill #lookatmegeneration

27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Except the chord progression is wrong.  I mean, she (theoretically) plays the I on the first chord, why skip it later on in the progression and just drop back to the minor iii?

#buzzkill #lookatmegeneration

That’s how you knew she’s not the I?

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

one of my favorite things at my wedding was having completely forgotten that a "grooms cake" was even a thing and then here's this fucking cake

image.thumb.png.63b3e4e12cfcaae1c1526d106a75d7fd.png

i also have no idea how the harry potter wood thing ended up there

Do you even Purple tortex bro

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Cool cake. Too bad it’s the wrong pick

9ee2cb90b3956a8fb17307eef9b71461.jpg

In the back of my mind, I always knew in my heart of hearts the music shop stocked picks other than tortex because there had to be some indeterminate number of demented, malformed, mentally ill and otherwise defective humans that bought them, but I never wanted to believe it was true.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Cool cake. Too bad it’s the wrong pick

9ee2cb90b3956a8fb17307eef9b71461.jpg

I remember my first guitar pick

12 minutes ago, G650 said:

Do you even Purple tortex bro

Man you need a *little* bit of flex.

this is actually my jam - I used to use tortex  yellows and would throw them out when they got a little worn down. These are a bit pointier and keep the attack I’m looking for

image.thumb.jpeg.34d8c6fbf1ea8401561c6eb581c4e0d2.jpeg

I probably have a gross of these lying around but I need to buy more. I feel like I’m the only person who uses them and am terrified they will stop making them.

In the back of my mind, I always knew in my heart of hearts the music shop stocked picks other than tortex because there had to be some indeterminate number of demented, malformed, mentally ill and otherwise defective humans that bought them, but I never wanted to believe it was true.

Lotta words to be so wrong

Meh, whatever works for you. I use these orange Star picks on acoustic and yellow Tortex on electric. Im trying to learn playing bass w a pick.

In The Koffs our guitar player uses a Lee press on nail, one on his thumb one on his index finger. It works for him.

56a0de57894a4947075db286b7fa448b.jpg

dace2cb0acfbf5cee90c53ef53c86ec1.jpg

Bass face!

Everybody loved the Rick Bass and it played like butter, sounded like thunder, and looked even better. Im addicted.

6dc3eecc78d3a2ac8c78c4c7a8c7b345.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Meh, whatever works for you. I use these orange Star picks on acoustic and yellow Tortex on electric. Im trying to learn playing bass w a pick.

In The Koffs our guitar player uses a Lee press on nail, one on his thumb one on his index finger. It works for him.

56a0de57894a4947075db286b7fa448b.jpg

dace2cb0acfbf5cee90c53ef53c86ec1.jpg

Bass face!

Everybody loved the Rick Bass and it played like butter, sounded like thunder, and looked even better. Im addicted.

6dc3eecc78d3a2ac8c78c4c7a8c7b345.jpg

It's also fitting for a punk band to use a pick that looks like a sphincter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Those compressed felt picks for bass work really well.  If (like me) you’re not an actual bass player and you don’t have the skill in the fingers of your right hand to pedal 8th notes evenly or to articulate all the notes in a phrase.  

It’s a great cheat that lets you do those things without the click-y attack of a pick hitting bass strings.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I got the Rick Bass so naturly wanted to play some Moorhead stuff and quickly learned that you can't sound like Lemmybif your not using a pick.

Then I was fucking around with the UFO song Doctor, Doctor with my fingers, but then when I grabbed the pick it worked better.

Cliff Williams played with a pick on every AC/DC track.

Ill remain a finger player primarily, but a pick does something you cant get out of your fingertips and is a good tool to have in the arsenal.

Those compressed felt picks for bass work really well.  If (like me) you’re not an actual bass player and you don’t have the skill in the fingers of your right hand to pedal 8th notes evenly or to articulate all the notes in a phrase.  
It’s a great cheat that lets you do those things without the click-y attack of a pick hitting bass strings.  

I have a big rubber pick that does the same thing.

I always played fingerstyle live but recorded with a pick. I think a yellow tortex because that is what would have been in the fifth pocket of my pants at any given point but I could've gone blue or purple on bass. I don't feel like recordings I did ever sounded overly picky, but I think I was able to control that by increasing the angle I was hitting the strings with (more of the knife edge hitting the strings than the flat side). Or maybe I'm overestimating how much control I had and it was a mix of not having scooped bass and the engineer smoothing shit out.

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Tortex Orange 0.6.  I might like something else better, but I'll never know.

See, this is me.  I find something that works, and I don't deviate.  I mean, "works" is a loose definition when it comes to my playing, but I just don't have the inclination to dick around with the general comfort zone.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

See, this is me.  I find something that works, and I don't deviate.  I mean, "works" is a loose definition when it comes to my playing, but I just don't have the inclination to dick around with the general comfort zone.

I also play with one of the rounded, top edges.  Started years ago and never went back.

32 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I always played fingerstyle live but recorded with a pick. I think a yellow tortex because that is what would have been in the fifth pocket of my pants at any given point but I could've gone blue or purple on bass. I don't feel like recordings I did ever sounded overly picky, but I think I was able to control that by increasing the angle I was hitting the strings with (more of the knife edge hitting the strings than the flat side). Or maybe I'm overestimating how much control I had and it was a mix of not having scooped bass and the engineer smoothing shit out.

My general theory is a pick allows for a consistency of attack that is difficult if not impossible for most people to attain. Super talented guys can, but it's rare because it's super hard to get that consistent with fingertips.

Going for say a Lemmy sound is a whole different thing, which is definitely predicated on using a pick.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

My general theory is a pick allows for a consistency of attack that is difficult if not impossible for most people to attain. Super talented guys can, but it's rare because it's super hard to get that consistent with fingertips.

Going for say a Lemmy sound is a whole different thing, which is definitely predicated on using a pick.

That is explicitly why our producer/engineer wanted me to lay it down with a pick. I was a pretty decent bassist but our whole deal was energetic live shows and I slapped the shit out of that bass -  I wouldn't want to clean that up.