The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

One of my best friends was entrusted with selling off a pretty nice guitar collection, some high dollar stuff. I told him if he needed help selling anything in particular I know some guitar lovers who like buying guitars and could get them in touch. Maybe I can get a list. 

I can't afford any of it. 

He used to manage Heart Of Texas Music in Temple for a long time until they closed down. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of y'all had met him before.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, G650 said:

Say what now. What kind of sadistic motherfucker tries to talk someone out of the greatest amp in history

It's all a hoax.  Fake news.  Just like the Russian tube crisis.

I'm all for people buying whatever they want and can afford.  He can afford it, he's just being wishy washy.  Stock market blah blah.  Recession blah blah.  Time to push him over the line.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DougO said:

One of my best friends was entrusted with selling off a pretty nice guitar collection, some high dollar stuff. I told him if he needed help selling anything in particular I know some guitar lovers who like buying guitars and could get them in touch. Maybe I can get a list. 

This is pertinent to my interests

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

I'm all for people buying whatever they want and can afford.  He can afford it, he's just being wishy washy.  Stock market blah blah.  Recession blah blah.  Time to push him over the line.

We going to peer pressure him. Instead of @noharleyyete he will be nobassmanyet

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, G650 said:

This is pertinent to my interests

Here's a teaser list I just got over the phone. 

1992 Fender reissue 52 Tele. Never been played. Tweed case.  - est price1400ish

1973 Guild F112 nt *natural

1995 Dobro Duolian, round neck, metal body, never played orig case. Hawaiian scene est 1500ish

2 X Black 40th anniversary Stratocaster with medalion 1994
Black with maple neck - never played
Black with rosewood - hardly played
maybe 1200ish on those

Most of the guitars are still at the original sellers house, but he has 20-something nice guitars that are barely played or never played. Bunch of strats, mostly 80s, 90s. and some other various things, some kind of rare. I'll try to get a more detailed list of stuff when he gets a chance.

I think he just sold a Rickenbacker 360 12 string this past week. I didn't get to see it, probably a good thing.

Anybody interested in anything in particular I can get your more info and probably pics. 

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DougO said:

1995 Dobro Duolian, round neck, metal body, never played orig case. Hawaiian scene est 1500ish

maybe 1200ish on those

Most of the guitars are still at the original sellers house, but he has 20-something nice guitars that are barely played or never played. Bunch of strats, mostly 80s, 90s. and some other various things, some kind of rare. I'll try to get a more detailed list of stuff when he gets a chance.

I think he just sold a Rickenbacker 360 12 string this past week. I didn't get to see it, probably a good thing.

Anybody interested in anything in particular I can get your more info and probably pics. 

Nice.

Late 80s early 90s Strats are right in my wheelhouse right now. Blue or natural Ash in particular.

• Hook 'Em 1

He used to manage Heart Of Texas Music in Temple for a long time until they closed down. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of y'all had met him before.

Well, we’re waiting.

For fucks sake run some single coils through that thing!

2 hours ago, DougO said:

maybe 1200ish on those

If it’s right I’ll buy

32 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Have heard good things about them.

I have one.  I didn't care for the Eminence ceramics it had in it.  I replaced them with Weber alnicos (12a125 - 20 watt), which are definitely more robust than what came in the old Fenders (a P10Q vs. a P10N).  So you loose a little of that reedy clean.  But they're just so articulate that I've decided that I never want to change them for authenticity's sake.  And the more they break in, the better they sound.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Convince me a Bassman is better than a super reverb. Because I don’t think you can.

For starters, those amps in your avatar wouldn't exist without the Bassman. :)

Now don't get me wrong, I love me some Super Reverb.  Nothing sounds more super reverb than a super reverb.  But the first advantage the Bassman has is that it has no reverb.  There are times onboard reverb sounds good and nothing else seems like it will do, but I've really come to prefer my reverb outboard (not that my Deluxe Reverb doesn't get love).  It also has that nice, resonant pine cabinet.  The cleans are beautiful (like the SR), but they're just a little rounder on the bass end.  And has a nice growl when you turn it up.  But it's very touch sensitive.  So you can clean up with your playing and dig in for some more grit.  Blackface/Silverface amps just don't break up like tweeds do.  The sound in a big room really seems three dimensional.  That may also be true for the SR and its 4-10s, but the tweed amps don't have scooped mids.  So they stand out nicely in the mix without having to boost the mids.  But they still sound great with pedals.  Also, the tweed bassman weighs about 12 lbs less than a SR and has a shorter cabinet; so it isn't awkward to carry.  Lastly, you can jumper the channels for even more interesting blends of the normal and bright channels (and the presence control is great for dialing in the upper mids/trebles).

These are reissues in this video, but it gives you and idea.  In the end, I think there are some instances when one sounds better than the other depending on the guitar or the type of music.  You kind of can't go wrong, which means you should buy both.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Goredho said:

Man, I checked out that guy's channel every single day until the last few months when he got on this kick about comparing different speakers in cabs and stuff. He needs to get back to the fun stuff.

13 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Convince me a Bassman is better than a super reverb. Because I don’t think you can.

It would be an interesting side-by-side comparison.

I have an old Super and it's pretty great.  But I hardly ever play it because I have to figure out a way to either run an instrument cable into the next room, or mic it up in the next room and listen through monitors.  Even if you do the thing where you remove one tube so that it breaks up at a lower volume, it's just unreal how loud those amps are.  

24 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

It would be an interesting side-by-side comparison.

I have an old Super and it's pretty great.  But I hardly ever play it because I have to figure out a way to either run an instrument cable into the next room, or mic it up in the next room and listen through monitors.  Even if you do the thing where you remove one tube so that it breaks up at a lower volume, it's just unreal how loud those amps are.  

They do have decent punch, but I think it depends on what space you are in or who you are playing with.