The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

The CustomBuckers in my R8 are hands down the best sounding of all my Gibson's and its not close. That said, im still tempted to replace them with Filtertrons and already would have by now if it weren't a custom shop guitar. I love the way that guitar plays and wish it sounded like a Gretsch.

Is it just the pickup swap, or do routing changes need to be made for filtertrons in a HB slot?

Now you made me pull out the R8. 1st time I plugged it into the 5150. It sounds great and I'm still super high on that amp, but the Gretsch's still sound better. Its close enough that noone but me would notice, but boy do I notice. I wish I had the word to describe the element that's missing, maybe throatiness - or more organic.

• Hook 'Em 1

Now you made me pull out the R8. 1st time I plugged it into the 5150. It sounds great and I'm still super high on that amp, but the Gretsch's still sound better. Its close enough that noone but me would notice, but boy do I notice. I wish I had the word to describe the element that's missing, maybe throatiness - or more organic.

remind us what you’re R8 looks like.

These are the 2 I'm A/B-ing.

Also notice that the Les Paul's neck position sounds closer to the Gretsch's bridge position than its bridge does - so the closest they sound is as they are pictured.

The 5150 has a knob on the back called "Resonance", thats hard to describe what it does, but its very useful. Kind of like to opposite of whatever a Presence knob does. Instead of more bite its more gutteral. Its exactly the knob the LP needs to sound like the Gretsch. In fact, I dimed it and get pretty close. The LP is louder, ive always said that guitar sounds like Thor's hammer.
20221011_144428.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

These are the 2 I'm A/B-ing.

Also notice that the Les Paul's neck position sounds closer to the Gretsch's bridge position than its bridge does - so the closest they sound is as they are pictured.

The 5150 has a knob on the back called "Resonance", thats hard to describe what it does, but its very useful. Kind of like to opposite of whatever a Presence knob does. Instead of more bite its more gutteral. Its exactly the knob the LP needs to sound like the Gretsch. In fact, I dimed it and get pretty close. The LP is louder, ive always said that guitar sounds like Thor's hammer.
20221011_144428.jpg

Heed the call of the Filterburst.  I mean, cost of the filtertrons aside, why not?  Completely reversible change if you hang onto the custombuckers.  I don't think anyone would care about original soldering on an R8/9/0 if you ever had to sell.

That R8 is gorgeous, don't hide it under a bushel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

Heed the call of the Filterburst.  I mean, cost of the filtertrons aside, why not?  Completely reversible change if you hang onto the custombuckers.  I don't think anyone would care about original soldering on an R8/9/0 if you ever had to sell.

That R8 is gorgeous, don't hide it under a bushel.

I agree with this.  My similar R8 doesn't have the original pups.  I feel pretty certain I could get at or near original value for it now watching the market.  Make it your guitar and if you ever need to sell it you can always switch it pretty easily.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Now you made me pull out the R8. 1st time I plugged it into the 5150. It sounds great and I'm still super high on that amp, but the Gretsch's still sound better. Its close enough that noone but me would notice, but boy do I notice.

I wish I had the word to describe the element that's missing, maybe throatiness - or more organic.

I bet that the Germans have a word for it.

image.gif.cb7d0e45dc6718c737827d19f382ec0d.gif

…and it’s probably like 23 letters long.

• Like 1

They are making us go back to work 3 days a week. This is going to seriously mess with my practice time (I usually play during all boring meetings -ie most of them).

I am thinking of getting a cheap guitar to leave at the office. I was considering a squire jazzmaster or a Jackson V.

I want it to be electric (so I can play with headphones) and decently light. I have a squire tele, but it’s not my favorite playing guitar and it’s chunky. My favorite right now is my PRS SS SE.

I don’t want to spend more than $300US.

Any ideas?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

They are making us go back to work 3 days a week. This is going to seriously mess with my practice time (I usually play during all boring meetings -ie most of them).

I am thinking of getting a cheap guitar to leave at the office. I was considering a squire jazzmaster or a Jackson V.

I want it to be electric (so I can play with headphones) and decently light. I have a squire tele, but it’s not my favorite playing guitar and it’s chunky. My favorite right now is my PRS SS SE.

I don’t want to spend more than $300US.

Any ideas?

Find a good replacement neck for that Squire Tele.  The right neck might turn it into your new favorite guitar.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255762980148?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=QE_ECPFOROi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=7qYRnz0IQ6e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I like that it’s beat up so I don’t have to baby it. But I’m sad it doesn’t have the bird inlays. Also anyone know much about the pickups he put in? Or heard of them?

8 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255762980148?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=QE_ECPFOROi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=7qYRnz0IQ6e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I like that it’s beat up so I don’t have to baby it. But I’m sad it doesn’t have the bird inlays. Also anyone know much about the pickups he put in? Or heard of them?

No direct experience.  I have seen low-wind Lollar imperials mentioned a lot when people ask about "Best vintage PAF clone" over on the gear page, but that is all I can say.

26 minutes ago, Goredho said:

No direct experience.  I have seen low-wind Lollar imperials mentioned a lot when people ask about "Best vintage PAF clone" over on the gear page, but that is all I can say.

Ok. That’s the vibe I got from YouTube videos. He’s got the original I’d just put back in.. or I could go PRS body PRS Hardware and maybe some nasty R8 pickups? Man I need help

14 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Ok. That’s the vibe I got from YouTube videos. He’s got the original I’d just put back in.. or I could go PRS body PRS Hardware and maybe some nasty R8 pickups? Man I need help

Is he going to include the lollar's and the originals or just one or the other?  What sound are you looking for?  An R8 would have custombuckers which would be aiming at the same vintage PAF tone as the lollars, so if that isn't really your thing, you probably wouldn't be happy with either one.

10 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Is he going to include the lollar's and the originals or just one or the other?  What sound are you looking for?  An R8 would have custombuckers which would be aiming at the same vintage PAF tone as the lollars, so if that isn't really your thing, you probably wouldn't be happy with either one.

Oh shit never mind then. He is going to include both. I want more modern deftones type stuff

3 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Oh shit never mind then. He is going to include both. I want more modern deftones type stuff

Yeah, then just swap back to the original pups and list the lollars on reverb.  If you wind up not liking the originals, your lollar sale can help buy a set you like.