The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

16 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Listen I’m tuning and setting up for A. Also what’s wrong with the deftones? Is this not America??

Harshly judging other people's shit that you don't care for?  What's more American than that? :D

Just buy and play what you like and don't give a fuck.

• Haha 1

If you are looking for some heaviosity that still retains character and life in a humbucker set I highly recommend the SD Custom SH-5 in the bridge and the Alnico II Pro in the neck.

I know they don’t have the fancy boutique names but I’ve had that set in my Les Paul for years and they are fantastic. Gnarly as you want them to be, also as chill as you want them to be.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, G650 said:

Original Gold Lace Sensors going back into the old Strat.

20221013-155756.jpg

Nothing more late-80s, early-90s Americana than Gold Laces sitting beside those Deluxe saddles. Power ballads just jump off this sweet motherfucker.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 1

Totally.

The Gold Laces are a very unique sound. A lot of people didn't like them because they don't sound like typical Strat single coils. But they have the most bell like chime I've ever heard. The red, silver and blue set I had put in there where much better into a Marshall, but they are hitting my tweed a little too hard so I went back to give these a whirl.

It just occurred to me though i think the bridge pickup may be dead lol. I think that's why I put the other set in back in the early aughts.

My early 90s American Standard Deluxe Strat had gold Lace Sensors.  I hated them.  Absolutely fucking hated them.  I don't know why I bought the guitar, other than I loved the look (tobacco sunburst) and the feel of the neck (maple).

I eventually took it to Mark Erlewine and he dropped in a set of hand-wound Van Zandts.  Holy Jesus Mary and Joseph, what a difference!  Night and day.

Which is to say, what @G650 said.  If you wanted Fender single coil tone, Lace Sensors were not the way to go.  If you were a virtuoso like David Gilmour who used a massive rig fronted by a dozen tastefully dialed-in effects, knock yourself out, the Lace Sensors sounded great.  But let's be honest, in his hands, anything sounded great.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Nothing more late-80s, early-90s Americana than Gold Laces sitting beside those Deluxe saddles. Power ballads just jump off this sweet motherfucker.

I've got those saddles on my '90 Telecaster.  Love em!

Edited by dcbc

On 10/13/2022 at 12:30 AM, Fastbreak said:

They are making us go back to work 3 days a week. This is going to seriously mess with my practice time (I usually play during all boring meetings -ie most of them).

I am thinking of getting a cheap guitar to leave at the office. I was considering a squire jazzmaster or a Jackson V.

I want it to be electric (so I can play with headphones) and decently light. I have a squire tele, but it’s not my favorite playing guitar and it’s chunky. My favorite right now is my PRS SS SE.

I don’t want to spend more than $300US.

Any ideas?

4B8382C8-FC2E-44B0-8602-579E16C30CBA.thumb.jpeg.975149d8d7669f900931b16ce947f055.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304658966093?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=oxsntiyercg&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=MmLVas4DTAS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My early 90s American Standard Deluxe Strat had gold Lace Sensors.  I hated them.  Absolutely fucking hated them.  I don't know why I bought the guitar, other than I loved the look (tobacco sunburst) and the feel of the neck (maple).

I eventually took it to Mark Erlewine and he dropped in a set of hand-wound Van Zandts.  Holy Jesus Mary and Joseph, what a difference!  Night and day.

Which is to say, what @G650 said.  If you wanted Fender single coil tone, Lace Sensors were not the way to go.  If you were a virtuoso like David Gilmour who used a massive rig fronted by a dozen tastefully dialed-in effects, knock yourself out, the Lace Sensors sounded great.  But let's be honest, in his hands, anything sounded great.

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I will freely admit to being the world's biggest Strat Plus Stan. I do want to get a second one and put some 57/62 pickups in to have another option.

The one thing I found with the Gold laces is they have to be played almost delicately. They have an atmospheric clean sound that I don't think anything else can get. The red, silver and blue laces are a while different thing too. They are more forgiving. Supposedly the red and blue mimic humbuckers, which is a stretch imo, but they aren't bad, especially the blue.

6 hours ago, dcbc said:

I've got those saddles on my '90 Telecaster.  Love em!

Coming of age in that era I will always associate them with the top Fenders. My Tele has them too, and had an American Standard Strat for a time with them too.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

D636BA12-21D3-4900-AB11-75CA8BB655EF.thumb.jpeg.067a9a16127a979f27c51d2ea1c4d3c2.jpeg

98 AS strat and …2011? American deluxe tele. I didn’t know that they weren’t still on those saddles

Weren't they supposed to help alleviate string breakage.  But people swore they knocked down some of the higher frequencies?  If so, having a single coil tele with a little off the high end of the spectrum is probably why I like them so much (assuming that's even true to a discernible degree in normal (nonguitar forum) human ears).

11 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Weren't they supposed to help alleviate string breakage.  But people swore they knocked down some of the higher frequencies?  If so, having a single coil tele with a little off the high end of the spectrum is probably why I like them so much (assuming that's even true to a discernible degree in normal (nonguitar forum) human ears).

Yeah that was the theory. I honestly think Strats especially could do with knocking off some high end. A lot of people, including Hendrix, used higher capacitance cables for this reason.

I doubt I could tell the difference in saddles myself. I actually I know I couldn't.

My mid-90s HH Strat has those saddles too. Love em.

And holy fucking shit what the hell is wrong with me. Why did I wait until I'd been playing for 35 years to buy a SSS Strat? All I've done so far is fret polish, new strings, truss rod adjustment and I'm already really digging that cheapo Squier. Those slot tuners turn nicely with the strings off, but under tension they are very hard to turn. They will definitely go at some point. And speaking of saddles that will probably be the first hardware to go. I think I'm going to use these because they have a very smart design where the threads are on the bottom hole so the screws don't poke up and bite your hand:

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 10.34.42 AM.png

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

98 AS strat and …2011? American deluxe tele. I didn’t know that they weren’t still on those saddles

Man.  That Strat is beautiful.  I'm not sure I would have flashed to those white (cream?) pickup covers and knobs, but the contrast is terrific.  Same for the dark burst, dark neck, and tortoiseshell pickguard.  Wow.

Just now, G650 said:

Yeah that was the theory. I honestly think Strats especially could do with knocking off some high end. A lot of people, including Hendrix, used higher capacitance cables for this reason.

I doubt I could tell the difference in saddles myself. I actually I know I couldn't.

The Silver Sky pickups take out that high end. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man.  That Strat is beautiful.  I'm not sure I would have flashed to those white (cream?) pickup covers and knobs, but the contrast is terrific.  Same for the dark burst, dark neck, and tortoiseshell pickguard.  Wow.

It was originally white pickguard/white covers/knobs. I'm remain impressed that my 13 year old self ordered an OEM tortoiseshell pickguard and replaced it myself. I don't know if I'd pull that off correctly now (and I remember weird little rubber things on the pickup screws that were a little finicky) but I pulled it off then. I think at the time I though maybe I should switch to black for the knobs/covers, but I've always liked the white. SRVish.

14 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

It was originally white pickguard/white covers/knobs. I'm remain impressed that my 13 year old self ordered an OEM tortoiseshell pickguard and replaced it myself. I don't know if I'd pull that off correctly now (and I remember weird little rubber things on the pickup screws that were a little finicky) but I pulled it off then. I think at the time I though maybe I should switch to black for the knobs/covers, but I've always liked the white. SRVish.

Now I'm jonesing for another Warmoth build.  Check out these roasted maple necks, they'd look great with the rest of your color combo:

image.png.d13b31bea1806c01c67ddcdd09d7281b.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Motivate Shia Labeouf GIF

i always like this picture of that strat. I look like shit because I feel like shit because we just drove straight from Austin to Philadelphia and aren't stopping until we get to Albany where there's a basement for us to sleep in, on our way to Toronto for our first date of Warped 2013. And I probably low key really need either more or less alcohol. Little do I know here that the van will break down outside of Philly and I will sleep in a Pep Boys parking lot and spend the next day working through the math of abandoning the van and touring in two rented Ford Escapes before some pep boy hero tracks down a part and saves the day. never buy a fucking sprinter. also our driver/roadie for the tour walked up to us in that parking lot, said "sorry guys this isn't my battle", and disappeared into the vehicle of a friend from new york, never to be seen again.

image.thumb.png.90a0d95dcb2c3ec240c0e814da367aaa.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

It's true! Check out @ 6:15 in this video

The pickups on SS are no joke.  I think that's what makes that guitar stand out.  Otherwise, it *is* just a strat with a wonky headstock imo.  I wish PRS would offer them up standalone like Gibson just did their custombuckers.

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I look like shit because they found me passed out back stage.  We were opening for Blind Melon and I had been doing smack with Shannon Hoon, and I guess we got a little carried away.  Anyway, they gave me a shot of narcan, threw me onstage and I fucking killed it.  Best gig I ever played.

You gotta learn how to remember, dude.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah,  I was going through the box yesterday and I only had like 3 of the originals with the gold laces. I was like well the pickups in here aren't wobbling around so there must be some new ones in it to use.

Shannon Hoon reminds me of.... was it @tbone_ who was talking about Chuck Klosterman? I listened to "The 90s" (audiobook, read by the author) recently and found it enjoyable and a nice trip back to that time. When I was a wee baby celery man staying up late watching the music video for No Rain in hopes that Beavis and Butthead and Aeon Flux would come on. I think you had maybe just read Killing Yourself to Live, so worth checking out.

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

Fuck that guy

tumblr_pqj8zybm4f1ucwcz5o1_500.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Shannon Hoon reminds me of.... was it @tbone_ who was talking about Chuck Klosterman? I listened to "The 90s" (audiobook, read by the author) recently and found it enjoyable and a nice trip back to that time. When I was a wee baby celery man staying up late watching the music video for No Rain in hopes that Beavis and Butthead and Aeon Flux would come on. I think you had maybe just read Killing Yourself to Live, so worth checking out.

tumblr_pqj8zybm4f1ucwcz5o1_500.gif

So the first show I went to and got a T Shirt was Blind Melon/Meat Puppets/Alice Donut( yeah I have very little recollection of them) when I was in high school. I still have that shirt. Blind Melon was probably my favorite band in the world at that point. I still rate them highly as well. I will go to my grave with the opinion Glen Graham and Brad Smith were the most underrated rhythm section in history. They are literally the only two I have ever heard who can pull off the Entwhistle/Moon style of bascially going ham the whole time and still be dead on. Give the first Melon album a listen sometime and it's pretty amazing. Chris Thorne and Rogers Stevens also are fantastic and were way out in front at the time on vintage gear and sounds.

• Hook 'Em 2

I need to dig into their discography more systematically - I always liked No Rain and during the Napster era I wound up with Change, The Pusher, and 3 is a Magic Number as favorites in my library. Finna bust out that school house rock stuff with the little one.

my first concert concert - No Doubt, Cake, The Vandals (woodlands pavilion). Not quite as cool but that is a show that is just…. 1995 encapsulated. Also I only just just now “got” the Tragic Kingdom/Magic Kingdom pun.

Edited by Celery Man

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I need to dig into their discography more systematically - I always liked No Rain and during the Napster era I wound up with Change, The Pusher, and 3 is a Magic Number as favorites in my library. Finna bust out that school house rock stuff with the little one.

my first concert concert - No Doubt, Cake, The Vandals (woodlands pavilion). Not quite as cool but that is a show that is just…. 1995 encapsulated. Also I only just just now “got” the Tragic Kingdom/Magic Kingdom pun.

Change might be my favorite song off that album, it's hard to say. Tones of Home, Time, Holyman... Fuck I honestly couldn't pick a favorite.

My first concert was actually Mike and the Mechanics and Escape Club lol. That was maybe '88 or '89?

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

Goddamn though Blind Melon and Meat Puppets would be a fuckin SHOW

It was epic. I don't have many clear memories of that time, but that is one. The place I saw them, the Boathouse in Norfolk Va. got torn down about 15 years ago. It was a literal warehouse over the water that working boats provisioned out of. It started basically falling in the water and there was no money, or I guess not worth, saving. I actually drove by it yesterday and was reminiscing about all the shows I saw there.

https://veermag.com/2020/05/tbt-remembering-norfolks-boathouse-music-venue/

I randomly saw the Meat Puppets a shitload of times. I loved them, but I wasn't necessarily seeking them out. They just happen to be opening for a bunch of bands I was going to see. They opened for STP once I remember. I think maybe White Zombie too? I feel like it was Meat Puppets and Reverend Horton Heat and then Zombie.

Yep that was me on killing your self to live. Great book. Didn’t know about the guy until I read this book.

Was laying out at the GF’s pool the other day and she says you need a book to read and brought that out.

Actually she brought out two to choose from. I picked the one with the upside down Flying V. Because of course.
6d140f5807422fa54007f64f0e6a2ab6.jpg

And because the other one she brought out was Rush fucking Limbaugh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, G650 said:

Original Gold Lace Sensors going back into the old Strat.

20221013-155756.jpg

Man I should have done this a long time ago. These sound way fucking better than the red silver blue setup.

The bridge does work, not sure if was out before or I'm imagining that. It's definitely thin though, maybe that was it. That's probably the one I would change.

19 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I had one of those and hated that roller nut. Never could get it to stop buzzing. Also came with lace sensors, which I also didn't like. Eventually sold it after years of trying and getting no takers. Of course, now it's considered a classic and worth lotta bucks. I think it was my first USA made guitar.

9 hours ago, G650 said:

I've always got the tone knob down a tick or 3 on the bridge pickups on Fenders (and up all the way on the neck pickup).  I've got three different teles.  One with brass saddles, one with steel, and the 90 with the whatchacallems.  I hear a difference in all three guitars, but I doubt it's the saddles.

3 hours ago, DougO said:

I had one of those and hated that roller nut. Never could get it to stop buzzing. Also came with lace sensors, which I also didn't like. Eventually sold it after years of trying and getting no takers. Of course, now it's considered a classic and worth lotta bucks. I think it was my first USA made guitar.

The LSR roller nut is the tits. The Wilkinson sucked.

• Like 1