The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 12/11/2022 at 11:08 AM, Fastbreak said:

From awhile back I had said that I was going to pick up a LP or SG while I was in Texas to take back to Singapore.

I ended up going with an Epiphone Slash LP. I got a decent deal from Sweetwater and I think it looks better than a lower end Gibson.

8a9c18f6eddc008e83715a994048a3ca.jpg

Only 1 minor flaw with one of the knobs. Besides that it is tight.

welp...United has lost the guitar in San Francisco.  I'm sure some baggage handler is having a good time with it.

• Rage+1 4

Now that i think about it - Whitehouse Road isn’t even a song that stuck out to me on the studio album. But this version (solo acoustic) you can hear how it is fun to play

As good as that is, I think the song benefits from a full band arrangement.

Cover Me Up and Speed Trap are great to learn to play back to back.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

welp...United has lost the guitar in San Francisco.  I'm sure some baggage handler is having a good time with it.

I picture an unshaven mountain of a man in a safety vest & eye protection standing on the tarmac atop a mound of lost luggage.  Guitar slung low just shredding the one G&R riff he knows while his coworkers toss bag after bag onto the pile like a ritualistic sacrifice. 

Edited by locodos
  • Haha 1

Trying to return this non-Lake Placid Blue squier. Their "live" chat links have been dead for two days, sso i called them, got a guy and he took my order number, waited on hold 5-plus minutes before they hung up on me.

Probably locking things down for bankruptcy or some shit, with my luck.  Now I know why they call them "stupid deals." I've had good luck with them before, though.

My step brother in Dallas is looking to sell his 1953 Gibson SJ/Southern Jumbo.  I’m considering, but probably going to pass.  Anyone here interested?  It’s not cheap, but he’s probably willing to sell at a more than fair price (under market value).  I’ve seen and played it and it sounds and plays great.  It’s not just a collectible item for the wall.

6ADB0D82-703A-4D9C-AB16-74752EC08236.jpeg

7C73955F-007B-4DF2-A9B4-70125641EE60.jpeg

89E48620-F0E9-4A9B-A4A2-BD78CB107C7C.jpeg

831B1F84-53C7-471E-82C5-F5259EC38A53.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Wasted far too much time hassling with Musiciansfriend in multiple sessions since yesterday afternoon. Man, what a clusterfuck their customer service has become. I guess the previous times I had dealt with them before were before they were completely assimilated into the Guitarcenter collective. It seems like they intentionally steer you to dead ends, with call disconnections, chat disconnections and email support that they show as a viable option but apparently doesn't even exist.

I didn't want to muck up the Jeff Beck thread with a technical question:  how the hell did he pull off this sound ~ 2:15 in the linked clip?  He's down near the nut.  I mean, the tone he gets has to be at LEAST an octave higher than any pitch down there.  Is it harmonic wizardry, or a pedal, or what?

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I didn't want to muck up the Jeff Beck thread with a technical question:  how the hell did he pull off this sound ~ 2:15 in the linked clip?  He's down near the nut.  I mean, the tone he gets has to be at LEAST an octave higher than any pitch down there.  Is it harmonic wizardry, or a pedal, or what?

Sounds like a harmonic + trem bar to first pitch up then down at the end to give the note a vocal/human quality to me.

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Essentially, you depress the whammy bar, then hit a harmonic while simultaneously pulling back up on the bar. 

It's a version of the Van Halen "horse whinny." 

On 12/22/2022 at 2:50 PM, G650 said:

20221222-134743.jpg

Baby got a new pair of shoes

I've been meaning to review this old thing since I got the pickups and upgraded electrical, and also the '58 I picked up beginning of last month, but just been to buried to have brain bandwidth. Rehearsing last night though with the 58 sort of jogged my memory a bit.

I've got three LPs at the moment, the 1958, 1977, and 2002 R7 Goldtop. R7 is totally stock, with the '57 Classics in it. The '77 had a Dimarzio SD in the bridge when I bought it, and what I assume was the stock neck pickup. I switched it to an EMG 81 in the bridge around '99 or so, and put a vintage Epiphone pickup in the neck not super long after that. So it got PAF clones hand wound by my local guy, bumblebee caps, USA pots, and an immaculate job with the refret. I mentioned upthread he worked in Gibson's Nashville repair facility in the vintage side, he is pretty amazing on this stuff. The '58 is all original PAFs, caps, Centralab pots etc...

So the day I picked up the '77 I plugged them all in one after another and did some A/B (and C?) testing of them through each one of my regular amps. Was pretty interesting and something I hadn't done a lot of before. I focused mostly on playing through the Jubilee as that has been my main amp for 20+ years, and also because LP and Marshall, duh. I did play through the tweed Bassman, BF Bassman and the Super too though. I think I mentioned maybe here, but if anyone has played a burst or two, a critical fact of them is they are all wildly different. Pickups, resonance, just all around. Listen to Peter Green's/Gary Moore's/fucking Kirk Hammett's vs Jimmy Page's vs Billy Gibbon's. Very different sounding guitars for various reasons. This burst, as soon as I strummed it was Slash's '58 from November Rain. If you listen to the 4 big chord hits just before the outro solo in November Rain, it's practically identical in texture. The other interesting thing about this guitar is acoustically, it sounded quite a bit like my '77 initially. I sourced a vintage ABR-1 for it since it had a cheap repro on it, and instantly it sounded like the R7. Which makes me think Gibson did a good job with the reissue hardware. The R7 is definitely a little edgier than the '58. I'm not a super fan of the '57 Classic pickups, but I'm kind of loath to change. I just don't see the point of having mulitple guitars that sound the same. The R7 brings a pretty sweet punk edge to the tone.

I was super eager to hear the '77 with the upgrades. My take is it almost sounds like a LP Custom now. The pickups are freaking wonderful. They are legit PAF sounding when coupled with the pots and caps. Raw nickle covers, and double cream underneath (evil laugh). The sandwich construction definitely gives up something to the '58 on the top end, but the middle is just fucking searing. It sounds like an all mahogany guitar. It's heavy literally and figuratively. I feel like I can pull out John Sykes or Billy Duffy type shit on this easy. Also, it paired amazing with my Super. The Super can be rough up top if you don't roll off the guitar volume, but the darkness of this axe really played well with it.

So I guess TL;DR I have three LPs with noticeably different qualities which is fun.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

You're a better man than I.  That's a job I leave for the geet shop.

I probably wouldn't do it on an old expensive guitar, and an actual refret is beyond my ken. But it's actually pretty easy, and quite meditative really if you just sit down and zone out.

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Is that an Adorama Lake Placid Blue Player Strat?

Looks like mine except for the fretboard isn’t a glossed maple on yours.

No it's a 1999 American Standard in Ocean Turquoise Metallic. Its pretty close to some of the LPB colors though, which tend to vary widely

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

No it's a 1999 American Standard in Ocean Turquoise Metallic. Its pretty close to some of the LPB colors though, which tend to vary widely

I would say that my LPB is much more Ocean Turquoise than a traditional LPB, but I like it. 

The aqua marine hints of green give it more life than just being a cold blue with hints a silver shimmer underneath.

My Squier CV LPB Mustang seems to be more of a traditional LPB.

Great tale from Steve Vai on FB tonight. Reminds me a little of the Peter Frampton Les Paul, though less dramatic.

"Reunited, and it feels so good. Oddly enough, after going missing 36 and a half years ago, my custom Joe Despagni “Swiss Cheese” guitar was finally returned to me. This guitar was custom built for me by Joe Despagni. Joe was my best friend in life growing up and he made me some of the wildest guitars I ever laid my fingers on such as the Flame guitar, the Lightning Bolt, this Swiss Cheese guitar, ZNG ZNG, and his final piece that he made for me before he passed away, Theadolite. He worked with his brother Rob on many of these guitars.

I used “Swiss Cheese” in the original Yankee Rose video while I was with David Lee Roth, and stretched it out in rehearsals and was planning on touring with it, but this guitar, along with 3 others, was stolen in Pasadena CA at Perkins Palace during rehearsals for the Eat Em and Smile tour. It is officially the first guitar to receive a “monkey” grip” handle, and the first one Joe made with a handle at my request.

The guitar was discovered by young Iván Gonzáles Acosta in the attic of his grandparents home in Tijuana, Mexico not too long ago. It seems the people that lived in his grandparents house before them purchased the guitar somewhere along the way and it was just stuck in the attic only to be discovered recently when they were reorganizing things.

When Ivan discovered this guitar, he posted some images online and they came on the trusty radar of our very own Mike Mesker. Mike is THE authority on the history and specifics of all my guitars. Mike started reaching out to Ivan and after some time he was able to arrange a drop off where Ivan was met by Mike, Doug MacArthur and myself. Thanks to Mike for his solid vigilance in bringing this guitar home.

The condition of the guitar when I saw it was a shocker. It’s as if it was put in the case and never played for 36 years. The colors are still vibrant and the neck is in great shape.

Thank you Ivan for your kind consideration and for reuniting me with this piece of my history. Receiving this guitar feels like an old friend has returned home after so many years to jam with me. I believe that we will make a wonderful Ham and Swiss sandwich together.

Photo by Mike Mesker"abf35f6125c9af8f4338495c370ff1a6.jpg

• Like 2