The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

I’m guessing a 6 figure pre-cbs strat has to has to have something more to it than just pre-cbs?  “Once owned by Jimi Hendrix’s younger brother, Leon.”  Or something along those lines.

'54 was the first year of production, so that adds some mojo that may convert to cash.  But yeah, it feels like there has to be more to this one than just '54.  

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s pretty incredible how many free resources there are now to help you learn guitar, and I’m still terrible about actually practicing. 

I’ve always wished I could play faster, and I see all these young YouTubers who are incredible players and have been alive about half as long I’ve been playing.

Then I try one of their “simple exercise to help you xyz” and I’m like “Fuck that’s hard!”

Edited by Buzzrock
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

I’ve always wished I could play faster

It's not all it's cracked up to be. I went through that whole phase as a yoof, and I'm objectively not as proficient now, but I can say a lot more with a guitar than my 17 year old self.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s pretty incredible how many free resources there are now to help you learn guitar, and I’m still terrible about actually practicing. 

I’ve always wished I could play faster, and I see all these young YouTubers who are incredible players and have been alive about half as long I’ve been playing.

Then I try one of their “simple exercise to help you xyz” and I’m like “Fuck that’s hard!”

This is me.  I buy books thinking I'll learn what's in them.  Then I buy guitars (very lightly) thinking they'll make me a better player (ahem, jazz box).  Online shit too?  Oh yeah, I popped $100 on Beatos courses (which are actually not bad).  Hell, if I stopped buying books/magazines and just made myself learn what was in them, I'd be a superstah!  

At the beginning of covid I did pretty well making myself have a guitar lesson and a bass lesson once a week each. 

Now that Chad Jr. is doing extracurriculars again though, it's been tough to keep up that learning.  Gotta get back on that horse.

8 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

At the beginning of covid I did pretty well making myself have a guitar lesson and a bass lesson once a week each. 

If you can make your self do 20 minutes a day of an exercise it will usually be more effective than doing a big exercise once a week. The daily repetition tends to outweigh the total time spent.

19 hours ago, G650 said:

If you can make your self do 20 minutes a day of an exercise it will usually be more effective than doing a big exercise once a week. The daily repetition tends to outweigh the total time spent.

Like any other physical or mental workout, a little daily is better than a lot at once.  

• Hook 'Em 1

lol.

6 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about from a (not so young) player who I think is incredible.

Just spanning five frets that far up the neck like that is difficult for me unless I raise the guitar up really high.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CodKayYOhOG/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Well, I'd point out he has the guitar up at his nipples also, so I wouldn't let that put you off. I will say one exercise I do habitually everyday is chromatic runs from 3rd fret up to the 12th, it's been a warmup exercise I've used for like 30 years. But it's probably the most effective speed building exercise there is. Start how ever slowly you need to go to make the notes clean, and go faster as it becomes rote. You can always start doing the same with scale patterns as you want to learn them.

• Like 1

On an unrelated note, Austin maybe the the live music capital of the world but just walking through the Nashville airport this morning, and at the risk of stating the obvious, the musical talent in this town is insane. Have a 3 hour layover and already I’ve seen 4 performers that are just stupid good.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

On an unrelated note, Austin maybe the the live music capital of the world but just walking through the Nashville airport this morning, and at the risk of stating the obvious, the musical talent in this town is insane. Have a 3 hour layover and already I’ve seen 4 performers that are just stupid good.

Same feeling I get in New Orleans.  "AUSTIN is the live music capital of the world?  I don't think so."

40 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Practicing alone is certainly imperative but there is no substitute for jamming with others or even playing live imo. Something about taking away the safety net that sharpens the brain like nothing else.

Agreed.  Just knowing how to listen to the ensemble and fit in is impossible to learn on your own.  I can't play all that well, but as long as it isn't King Crimson, I can hop on stage and fit in somehow.  Maybe I need to ask about the turn or something.

I "jam" with my brother-in-law and his friend every Halloween.  Said friend is a Dylan fanatic.  He'll call out a song, ask if I know it, "no, but play it and I'll play along" and it freaks him out.  Dude, I'll follow you.  If I head to the outro 4 bars early the world won't end, just give me the stare.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

And if it is King Crimson you need to ask yourself some hard question about how you came to share a stage with such dorks.

Ha!  A buddy has recorded quite a bit of his own hybrid jazz-prog with those guys and has nothing but good to say about them.

Tony Levin is the one who would freak me out, and I don't play bass.  He's an absolute monster, both technically and musically.

Everyone who has passed through KC are monster musicians.  The music dork/nerd comment is real, though.  It’s not very accessible to anyone other than other music dorks/nerds.  Kind of like Gentle Giant.  Contrast that with 70s prog bands like Genesis & Yes that were music dorks who could at least occasionally put together a catchy tune.  Then you had bands like Pink Floyd & Kansas that sometimes get classified as prog, but who are scorned by the prog cork sniffers.  They weren’t nearly so dorky/musically daring, but their music was so much more listenable & popular as a result.

I love all of those bands.  70s prog shit is my jam.

43 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Everyone who has passed through KC are monster musicians.  The music dork/nerd comment is real, though.  It’s not very accessible to anyone other than other music dorks/nerds.  Kind of like Gentle Giant.  Contrast that with 70s prog bands like Genesis & Yes that were music dorks who could at least occasionally put together a catchy tune.  Then you had bands like Pink Floyd & Kansas that sometimes get classified as prog, but who are scorned by the prog cork sniffers.  They weren’t nearly so dorky/musically daring, but their music was so much more listenable & popular as a result.

I love all of those bands.  70s prog shit is my jam.

Gentle Giant is where it's at.

I've never understood people calling Floyd prog. They are in no way shape of form. David Gilmour is a blues player

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 6:16 AM, Goredho said:

I’m guessing a 6 figure pre-cbs strat has to has to have something more to it than just pre-cbs?  “Once owned by Jimi Hendrix’s younger brother, Leon.”  Or something along those lines.

The 6 figure pre-cbs Strats are few and far between.  It would have to be very early mapleboard (1954) in primo condition, or almost rare custom color.  Or played by Jimi Hendrix/David Gilmour/etc.

One other factor - that $120K 1954 strat was at Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto.  There are a lot of rich fuckers who would want to blow $120k on something like that out there.

Edited by Horn Dogg
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

That actually sounds about right.  I’ve seen them sell for $10K.  I got mine for about $6K.

Yeah probably not far off. I generally think Carter's prices about 10% higher than what you could find privately, but a lot of times worth it because of the peace of mind of knowing it's accurately represented.

I picked up my burst and my most recent brown Deluxe from them, good peeps.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, tbone_ said:

Here’s a question: If you could play through one famous guitar player’s stage rig who would it be?

I think it might be Billy Duffy for me.

I actually played through exactly Slash's rig for a long time. My last setup was pretty close to Mike Ness. Honestly  hard question though as I kind of prefer to indulge my whims these days, so I'm sure there is a theoretical stage rig I'd like to play I honestly can't really think of one.

Billy Duffy sounds great btw. The Cult are underrated. They are insane live.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, G650 said:

Gentle Giant is where it's at.

I've never understood people calling Floyd prog. They are in no way shape of form. David Gilmour is a blues player

I agree.  I think it’s probably the combination of concept albums and long-form tl;dl songs with extended instrumental passages.  But they aren’t really doing anything out of the box musically or mashing up a bunch of different genres, at least compared to bands like KC, Gentle Giant, Yes, Genesis and the other 70s prog bands.  It’s almost all 4/4 psychedelic blues in a minor key.  Not a criticism, I love PF and they are probably my biggest influence.

Kansas had much more proggy tunes amidst their hits.  I don’t think it’s really arguable that something like Magnum Opus isn’t squarely in the prog category.

Somewhere after Rush, prog loses me.  I don’t care if you can play 5:7 and 9:11 polyrhythms at 150bpm keeping both times with one hand simultaneously.  Your music has to say something and appeal on some sort of emotional level, and technicality for technicality’s sake isn’t very meaningful.

31 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Here’s a question: If you could play through one famous guitar player’s stage rig for a jam session who would it be?

I think it might be Billy Duffy for me.

I know there aren't a lot of Phish fans here, but there's a guy on Instagram/Youtube/Etc. who has recreated Trey Anastasio's 1999 live rig down to the most minute detail.  He's going to work on other years as well.  It's pretty intricate and involved a lot of research.

Of course, the guy who has been scaling up the Grateful Dead's Wall of Sound for the last several years (I think he's on 1/2 scale now and will do a full scale version afterward) really takes the cake.  The 1/2 scale is set up in an old church at the moment (answers the question: where the hell do you put something like this).  The only compromise he seems to have made is using Class D amps to power it, which I think is understandable given the cost of vintage McIntosh amps and how many would be required to power the array.

Edited by dcbc

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Of course there is.

He was more productive than I was during COVID lockdown apparently.  And there are some killer components in that rig. I'll admit to nerding out to how it is set up and how some things were put to use, particularly that repurposed Leslie 925 horn. 

Also, those guitars are lovely but above my pay grade.

That Wall of Sound recreation is just mental. 

Edited by dcbc

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Same feeling I get in New Orleans.  "AUSTIN is the live music capital of the world?  I don't think so."

Even of Austin ever was that, even for a blink of an eye, it hasn't been for a really long time. And Austin did it to itself, and it's a damn shame. Just like they dumped on just about everything that was cool.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Page's rig at the Royal Albert Hall show. 

->Marshal JTM-45

Just nosing around the web, that's a LP -. Coily Cable -> Vox Wah -> Tonebender Fuzz -> Echoplex ->

-> HiWatt (of some sort)

That about right?

14 minutes ago, Deej said:

All I ever remember about HiWatts was they were supposed to be loud.  I wonder how loud that amp in that first video is turned up (rhetorical question since I can see it moving the cabinet between itself and the camera).  But sometimes, there's no substitute for moving a lot of air.  As far as playing that or any big player's rig, it's just going to be more fun in a big open space. 

If I got along with fuzz pedals (I don't), Tonebender is where it's at for me.  But the amp has to be really cooking or it just sounds like . . . fuzz.

I'd like to play around with the Rich Robinson rig.  He's got some pretty cool stuff.  Mike Campbell?  Sure.

Edited by dcbc