The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

TMI

17 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This is so true. My bud has a 75 LP red sparkle with minibuckers. Sounds awesome. He has an 81 LP Custom gold-burst with Tim Shaws. Same thing. Maybe they aren’t as great as the “golden era” guitars. But they are great guitars.

I have a friend with two Norlin era LP's. Sound great, but heavy as hell, and apparently, Gibson gave no fucks about matching the tops.

Edited by Deej

17 minutes ago, Deej said:

TMI

I have a friend with two Norlin era LP's. Sound great, but heavy as hell, and apparently, Gibson gave no fucks about matching the tops.

My only complaint about my '77 is the weight. I didn't even know it was heavy until way after the fact, ignorance was bliss.

• Like 1

So some weirdness about the Vibrolux.  It has a 4 ohm speaker when spec'd for 8.  Also, no idea who made the speaker.  Could be Radio Shack for all I know.  It sounds good, but I feel like an amp of this vintage deserves a quality speaker.  I've heard mixed review of those, but they are the ones that gave the original its name.  

If I was going to replace it, Jensen or Weber?  Seems like there's an internet consensus for Weber.  

What says this group?  

I would assume it was an Oxford speaker originally? If so then you want a ceramic Weber or just find an old Oxford and recone it if you want to go back to stock. If you have a certain taste though then you could look at a Jensen alnico or an Eminence.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

So some weirdness about the Vibrolux.  It has a 4 ohm speaker when spec'd for 8.  Also, no idea who made the speaker.  Could be Radio Shack for all I know.  It sounds good, but I feel like an amp of this vintage deserves a quality speaker.  I've heard mixed review of those, but they are the ones that gave the original its name.  

If I was going to replace it, Jensen or Weber?  Seems like there's an internet consensus for Weber.  

What says this group?  

Screen-Shot-2023-02-19-at-6-17-36-PM.png

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

What says this group?  

Did that originally have an oxford ceramic 12" in it?  If so, Weber does a better Jensen than Italian Jensen.  But old Jensen C12Ns sound fantastic if you can find one from the 60s.  You can also check out Jupiter speakers.  They're made by Warehouse and are great replacements. 

I had a Weber 12F150 in my Deluxe Reverb for a while.  It was fine until I heard a late 60s Jensen through it.  But maybe the Jupiter 12LC 50 watt would do the trick.  They are lovely speakers.  I like the cork dampener.  Also, I haven't tried them, but the Eminence GASC64 might be a good fit.  But I don't think there's a good substitute for mileage and smoke damage for great sounding speakers.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Deej said:

We need to get going on the orange sparkle Surlycasters and the Nudie suits.

FB_IMG_1676849924778.jpg

Last time I was in Nashville, I tried to get a Nudie jacket that was Texas themed.  It was $2300.  Luckily, I was a bit to <ahem> generously proportioned for it.  Sweatergod, it was made for Peter Dinklage. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Deej's P-90 post upthread made me think of this.  For those who who must have all the P-90s they can:

fc42vbs8fxd0dew089qd.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/64145550-gibson-custom-shop-special-order-54-les-paul-standard-reissue-triple-p-90-mint-unplayed-9-lbs

Damn...if there is one thing Gibson does right, it's just the two pickgaurd screws. 😄 

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 1

On 2/19/2023 at 4:15 AM, Fastbreak said:

I talked to my guy at Sweetwater. I am on the list.

https://www.ibanez.com/na/products/detail/tod10_1p_01.html

f9c9c4871f9ba5f75811fa05e546b64d.jpg

You’re getting an Ibanez Strat, that’s so cool!

The finish makes me think of some Ziggy Stardust outfit.

On 2/19/2023 at 8:45 PM, Deej said:

I'm going to hell.

FB_IMG_1676861121849.jpg.b45f633298b71e305d87fd84773abdde.jpg

I read that as “… success in Hollywood as an inedible actor…”

Lastly, I saw this and it cracked me up. There is no way that Dinklage is over three feet tall. 

81431143-367F-4FD7-A044-EA9A86E26CB0.thumb.jpeg.dc17a634ba0e95636c65a248d592daf0.jpeg

18 hours ago, Deej said:

Damn...if there is one thing Gibson does right, it's just the two pickgaurd screws. 😄 

3 if you count the support.

So here's what I'm thinking.  I vinyl wrap of some sort with a picture of pick guard screws all over it to overlay onto a tele pick guard.  Call it a Screwcaster.  Group buy?

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 1

On 2/19/2023 at 10:58 AM, Chad Fuck said:

What says this group?  

Weber!

18 hours ago, Deej said:

Except for the fact you have to drill a hole in the top.

Turns out my Vibrolux speaker is a CTS from the 5th week of 1969. I’ve read them described as a bit “ice picky” on the highs. I’m thinking that’s accurate as I’ve put this thing through it’s paces. Since it’s not original anyhow, nothing to lose getting a new one.

db5d615d30a9d09653650675c198110b.jpg
4 ohms because some folks seem to think the lower rating prevents the speaker from farting out on the lows. I’m not convinced. This once has the “a” circuit that is supposed to prevent that.

3ab0ea69aeac015d092411e0b5a4ceb0.jpg
Jan 62 according to this.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Turns out my Vibrolux speaker is a CTS from the 5th week of 1969. I’ve read them described as a bit “ice picky” on the highs. I’m thinking that’s accurate as I’ve put this thing through it’s paces. Since it’s not original anyhow, nothing to lose getting a new one.

db5d615d30a9d09653650675c198110b.jpg
4 ohms because some folks seem to think the lower rating prevents the speaker from farting out on the lows. I’m not convinced. This once has the “a” circuit that is supposed to prevent that.

3ab0ea69aeac015d092411e0b5a4ceb0.jpg
Jan 62 according to this.

Yeah throw that speaker in the trash.

My Super and Deluxe are both '62s I think.

• Like 1