The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I think this R7 is actually my lightest. It's feather compared to my '77, and I honestly don't know if I have held it back to back with my '58 which is 9 lbs even according to Carters. Haven't weighed it myself but maybe that will be tonight's adventure as I'm curious now..

NGD.  This is about to be a rubber-bridge guitar.  

It's a Fender "American Professional" series Jazzmaster.  A few years ago, I bought an almost identical G and L Jazzmaster, and I only kept it a few days before sending it back.  Ironic that we're talking weight right now, because the main reason I sent back the G and L is because it was just absurdly heavy.  Generally, weight is not a make-or-break metric for me - within reason - but IMO that G&L was heavy beyond reason.  It was a rock.

Anyway, this one has already had some electronic mods done to it and it already had a bridge upgrade (pictured).  It was one of those guitars that had been on Reverb for a while, so I think I got it for a really good price.  

I've got some ideas for pedals that I think might be cool with this plunky sound.  

If the rubber-bridge thing doesn't work out, then I own a Jazzmaster, and if that doesn't work out, I think I can sell it for pretty much what I got in it.  

IMG-6490-2.jpg

IMG-6491-2.jpg

Already ordered some heavy-gauge flat wounds with a wound third, which it what they recommended

IMG-6492-2.jpg

And the only thing that's not here is the bridge (coming tomorrow), which I bought from waterslide.

Screenshot-2023-03-23-at-6-11-06-PM.png

YouTube video from waterslide:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

Anyone know anything about Lowden acoustics?  From Ireland, high end, supposed to be on par with Martin, Gibson, Collings?  An O35 model with a ridiculous flamed body showed up for sale locally.  Dude’s including a strap signed by Tommy Emmanuel.  Prices on reverb are all above $7k, this is priced at $4.5k.

F215ADA6-75AE-449F-BECD-01D60673A469.jpeg

18CAF5F3-53B8-4FF7-ACAB-01EA3CFF8313.jpeg

8E90A614-2B08-444C-A6FF-B78B455819D5.jpeg

3AF465B8-FDA1-4EB2-AA68-6BB09F1D6BA5.jpeg

A4100886-92F6-44B1-84C5-379B394AAF5D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

I give up. I tried my best to keep up with Goredho, but alas, it was not to be. 

You’re better off for it.  I’m gonna go check it out on my lunch hour tomorrow.  I won’t have the cash in hand to buy it even if it’s the shiznit, so there is always the chance that fiscal sanity prevails before I get to my bank.

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

You’re better off for it.  I’m gonna go check it out on my lunch hour tomorrow.  I won’t have the cash in hand to buy it even if it’s the shiznit, so there is always the chance that fiscal sanity prevails before I get to my bank.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd never heard of such a thing until you mentioned it.  Is it just a way to get a different sound?  What do they sound like cranked into an overdriven amp?

As a sound, it's just a muted attack and then instant decay, so that the notes have no body.   I think they're getting used more for modern pop - Harry Styles, Taylor Swift - and a ton of indie bands... making guitars sound like plucked harps or like less obnoxious banjos or even just putting enough delay/verb on it so that it seems like a synth patch.

It's appealing to me because anything that forces me away from familiar chord shapes and chord sequences -- it's a great way to come up with something new.  So I'm anxious to try to write some modern pop stuff with it.  I'd like to hear what an envelope filter would do with those little plucked notes, I'd like to see what it does if you played a really gooey, wet part that's heavily  modulated like Duran Duran "Come Undone."  I'd like to see how it takes delay pedals, especially those that degrade the original signal with multiple repeats.  I want to hear how a POG octave pedal treats those body-less transients.   I'd like to try all of those things that I just mentioned into a talk box.  

I don't know what it would do into a muffroom cloud, but I'll bet it's a sound you haven't heard a lot of.  

Here's the thing:  It might be an experiment where every dish turns out to be a big shit sandwich.  I still wanna live with it for a few days. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Goredho said:

Anyone know anything about Lowden acoustics?  From Ireland, high end, supposed to be on par with Martin, Gibson, Collings?  An O35 model with a ridiculous flamed body showed up for sale locally.  Dude’s including a strap signed by Tommy Emmanuel.  Prices on reverb are all above $7k, this is priced at $4.5k.

F215ADA6-75AE-449F-BECD-01D60673A469.jpeg

18CAF5F3-53B8-4FF7-ACAB-01EA3CFF8313.jpeg

8E90A614-2B08-444C-A6FF-B78B455819D5.jpeg

3AF465B8-FDA1-4EB2-AA68-6BB09F1D6BA5.jpeg

A4100886-92F6-44B1-84C5-379B394AAF5D.jpeg

Never seen a Lowden in that big body or maple.  Richard Thompson plays a lot of Lowdens.  Seem to be better fit for finger picking.  Everyone I've ever played has been incredible.  That thing is beautiful.    

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Never seen a Lowden in that big body or maple.  Richard Thompson plays a lot of Lowdens.  Seem to be better fit for finger picking.  Everyone I've ever played has been incredible.  That thing is beautiful.    

Yeah, it's a looker, to be sure.  I don't really want to invest this much in an acoustic, but given the prices on reverb, its a steal unless there is something wrong with it that the seller is not disclosing that would bring down its value.

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, it's a looker, to be sure.  I don't really want to invest this much in an acoustic, but given the prices on reverb, its a steal unless there is something wrong with it that the seller is not disclosing that would bring down its value.

guess who's getting a new guitar today.......

• Haha 2

Just got done playing it, it’s a super clean 30 year old guitar that shows no signs of damage or even being played.  Extremely playable with a great set up, great sound.  No scratches, cracks, splits, fret sprout, signs of neck reset, etc...

Gonna think about it over night.

3511BC6C-7B36-4F1E-8A42-3254C924576E.jpeg

39BA0901-5673-4D1D-8A04-862575091CCE.jpeg

732F1CE6-3A34-4CD3-AE3E-D66E0F2ACF57.jpeg

48E46CD9-7A10-4F45-BA1E-A1B662567E29.jpeg

D5E6BBFE-1F9B-4208-8481-B079577974F0.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Lowball him.

These O35's in maple are a little hard to find pricing info on, they seem to be discontinued/not as common as some of their other wood combos.  But I found this product listing that is active right now at $5250 and this one from reverb from 3 years ago for $4400.  The one I played today is as minty as mint can be, so $4500 is probably a good price, but its not the steal it looked like compared to the $7K+ prices I see for new + other woods for this model.   

So I told the seller I'll pay $3250 if he winds up not being able to move it for $4500.  He says he has some others that have shown interest, and he'll get back to me if he has trouble moving it to see if we can come to a price that works for us both.  We'll see.

On 3/22/2023 at 6:56 PM, Superhero said:

I have burstbuckers on my Classic. Ive had to adjust the pickup heights because of significant difference in volumes. The neck pickup is probably way too high and sounds muddy. The bridge pickup is much clearer, but I would prefer a more scooped sound.

Anyone have experience with a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge? I listened to a few clips and prefer it over the JB. 

I had that issue with my 498 pickups on my SG.  Replaced with Mojotone 59s and the sound really good.  But the neck pickup is buried in the body.  But it sounds great and is even with the bridge.

On 3/23/2023 at 2:23 PM, Celery Man said:

i think a lot of the color difference is lighting, I was trying to decide how much that was the case and the picture of the back convinced me it's quite a bit. sweetwater rep agrees. Which makes me think lighter weight #2 is the choice. Pretty heavy, although not expecting a non weight relieved les paul to be particularly light.

I've got a 10+ lb LP and it sits so well in the strap, that I could play it standing up for hours.  Sometimes, it's not the weight, but how it lays strapped up.

21 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

As a sound, it's just a muted attack and then instant decay, so that the notes have no body.   I think they're getting used more for modern pop - Harry Styles, Taylor Swift - and a ton of indie bands... making guitars sound like plucked harps or like less obnoxious banjos or even just putting enough delay/verb on it so that it seems like a synth patch.

It's appealing to me because anything that forces me away from familiar chord shapes and chord sequences -- it's a great way to come up with something new.  So I'm anxious to try to write some modern pop stuff with it.  I'd like to hear what an envelope filter would do with those little plucked notes, I'd like to see what it does if you played a really gooey, wet part that's heavily  modulated like Duran Duran "Come Undone."  I'd like to see how it takes delay pedals, especially those that degrade the original signal with multiple repeats.  I want to hear how a POG octave pedal treats those body-less transients.   I'd like to try all of those things that I just mentioned into a talk box.  

I don't know what it would do into a muffroom cloud, but I'll bet it's a sound you haven't heard a lot of.  

Here's the thing:  It might be an experiment where every dish turns out to be a big shit sandwich.  I still wanna live with it for a few days. 

I would be interested to hear what that sounds like if you feel like sharing a sound clip here.

Anyone have a rec on a good boom mic stand that can hold up to gigging? I bought the best one I could find a while back for around $100 and it’s sturdy but the clutch is cracked and it’s falling apart. Wonder what the pros use?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Anyone have a rec on a good boom mic stand that can hold up to gigging? I bought the best one I could find a while back for around $100 and it’s sturdy but the clutch is cracked and it’s falling apart. Wonder what the pros use?

Thanks in advance.

The biggest thing is you have to trade off weight for ruggedness. If you are toting your own gear, it's a consideration. For "professional" type use, I'd look at K&M

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/24/2023 at 1:13 PM, Goredho said:

These O35's in maple are a little hard to find pricing info on, they seem to be discontinued/not as common as some of their other wood combos.  But I found this product listing that is active right now at $5250 and this one from reverb from 3 years ago for $4400.  The one I played today is as minty as mint can be, so $4500 is probably a good price, but its not the steal it looked like compared to the $7K+ prices I see for new + other woods for this model.   

So I told the seller I'll pay $3250 if he winds up not being able to move it for $4500.  He says he has some others that have shown interest, and he'll get back to me if he has trouble moving it to see if we can come to a price that works for us both.  We'll see.

Can you say a bit more how it played and sounded,  vs some reference std?