The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

youserious.jpg

Richards later said that his only concern at the time was: “Did I push him too far off to Charlie’s drums, so I would screw up the drumming. But I didn’t and the guitar was still in tune.” When people tell us to dedicate ourselves to the things we love, this is not what they mean. He continued to speak, laughing, “I bailed him out afterwards. He didn’t spend the night in jail…He still owes me 200 bucks.”

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/keith-richards-rolling-stones-attacked-fan-with-guitar-video/

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

Awesome.  It's the equivilent of the mob boss beating the shit out of someone and dropping some cash on them. 

I intended only to post the part where he throws him money and says, "Get yer haand looked at."  But since its the most perfect use of Let it Loose (top 5 Stones song easy), you get the whole clip.

Off topic sort of.  But by the way, we just passed five years in this place.  And I'm recalling that when Shaggy started to burn, it was one of the guys from this thread who messaged me and told me about the new place.  So good on this forum and this thread.  I'm sure whoever it was, regrets it.

/update: Checked my messages.  It was Celery Man.  Thanks again, dude.  The rest of you, blame him.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

NGD with what those last two guitars I sold helped fund — a 1993 Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean.  Kind of the bastard offspring of an ES-335 and a Gretsch.  It has the same body dimensions, center block and humbuckers of a 335, but departs from that with a 25.5” scale length, 1 3/4” nut width, it’s single cut and Gretsch-like controls — master volume, master tone and an individual volume control for each pickup.  I am hoping it’s the answer to my 25.5” long scale electric spanglish quest.  I’ve got 30 days to return it while making up my mind.

F4FDCFC6-680D-4350-8940-A294441FAAEA.jpeg

02E6B94C-E445-48DF-A097-229EC0909EEC.jpeg

A89A70AE-C6C2-4E4E-83E8-16D2D1860DA5.jpeg

wild, I don't think I've ever seen one of these. Feels like it needs a bigsby?

• Hook 'Em 2

Man, I love that Keef clip.  Your average rock guy might be kinda skinny and slight, but most have come up through some dicey clubs.  They aren't afraid of a scrap.

My lame band got called on to fill in for an opening act that couldn't make it about 20 years ago.  Headliner was a touring punk band of some reknown.  We were NOT punk, not like that.  The crowd hated us, and the last thing I remember was glancing stage left as some asshole tried to detune my buddy's Les Paul as he was playing.  My buddy has a temper, and he's a multi-level black belt in Aikido.  I thought "oh shit this is not gonna go well" and sure enough, that Les Paul headstock managed to pop the villain right in the forehead.  Blood went everywhere, chaos ensued, and we basically made for the exits.

It was glorious.  Our bass player got his girlfriend pregnant in the parking lot that night.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

wild, I don't think I've ever seen one of these. Feels like it needs a bigsby?

I don’t think they were wildly popular.  Chet didn’t move to Gibson until way late in his career.  As for a bigs, I dunno.  I might get a Les Trem that can just fit on the existing stop piece studs.  It’s not as cool as a bigsby, but it’s cheap, looks easy and is completely reversible.

Got to play the Tennessean last night for a couple hours before bed, and... holy fuck, trial's over, it's a keeper.  It took awhile to get a tone I like playing over a few different backing tracks. The pups want to be kind of dark and muddy, so I don't know if they'll last, but as far as being an ultra-playable electric spanglish type with the neck I'm after?  Yeah, it works.  Anyway, here's what it sounds like...

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I was listening to this with the kiddo on the way to preschool this morning

do you know if Atkins recorded anything on the Tennessean? Sound great.

Thanks for the compliment and for the link, that’s a cool song and Chet was a badass.  I don’t really know if he recorded with his Gibson Tennessean or not.  He’s holding a Gibson Country Gentleman on the album he did with Mark Knopfler in 1990.  I think he left Gretsch for Gibson in 1980, so it would be recordings after that.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnbTx6zaQaurhLtVwKqUM

Also an interesting interview with the man here where he discusses his involvement with Gretsch and his leaving to go to Gibson.

https://reverb.com/news/chet-atkins-discusses-his-relationship-with-gretsch-in-previously-unpublished-interview-bacons-archive

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, I love that Keef clip.  Your average rock guy might be kinda skinny and slight, but most have come up through some dicey clubs.  They aren't afraid of a scrap.

My lame band got called on to fill in for an opening act that couldn't make it about 20 years ago.  Headliner was a touring punk band of some reknown.  We were NOT punk, not like that.  The crowd hated us, and the last thing I remember was glancing stage left as some asshole tried to detune my buddy's Les Paul as he was playing.  My buddy has a temper, and he's a multi-level black belt in Aikido.  I thought "oh shit this is not gonna go well" and sure enough, that Les Paul headstock managed to pop the villain right in the forehead.  Blood went everywhere, chaos ensued, and we basically made for the exits.

It was glorious.  Our bass player got his girlfriend pregnant in the parking lot that night.

image.jpeg.5f00e250860cd78fcf343961b73aa473.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Thanks for the compliment and for the link, that’s a cool song and Chet was a badass.  I don’t really know if he recorded with his Gibson Tennessean or not.  He’s holding a Gibson Country Gentleman on the album he did with Mark Knopfler in 1990.  I think he left Gretsch for Gibson in 1980, so it would be recordings after that.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnbTx6zaQaurhLtVwKqUM

Also an interesting interview with the man here where he discusses his involvement with Gretsch and his leaving to go to Gibson.

https://reverb.com/news/chet-atkins-discusses-his-relationship-with-gretsch-in-previously-unpublished-interview-bacons-archive

I follow these on Reverb just because of this album.  One of my all time favorites.  Haven't found the perfect one yet, but one day.

• Like 1

The owner of the Indianapolis Colts, Jim Irsay, owns David Gilmour’s famous Black Strat, Jerry Garcia's Tiger guitar, Prince's yellow cloud guitar, Bob Dylan's Strat from his very famous first electric set at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival, a 1960 Les Paul Standard with a (very rare, maybe the only one) factory-installed Bigsby, and tons of Gibsons, Fenders, Rickenbackers, and Martins previously owned by the Beatles, Clapton, et al.

I'll take, "Wasted Guitars" for $500, Alex.

• Hook 'Em 1

That guy put on a guitar show here recently that he promoted heavily and featured his band, for which he's hired some notable musicians to play with. I thought the guy was trying way too hard to play rock star and took a pass. At that point, you're just a captive audience for him to jack off onto.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Here's a custom shop Thinline from an era when they were putting out some magnificent instruments.  Nice color.  Birdseye maple neck.  Only 12 made.   Seems like a competitive price.

https://reverb.com/item/51054528-fender-custom-shop-thinline-candy-apple-red-1994

DAMN that is tempting.   I have a Wurlitzer 200A that might sell for close to that, and that would be a no-brainer upgrade in my book.

Looks like it was separated from its Strat mate.  Here's a still-together set of those 12 pairs of identical guitars for 30K:

https://reverb.com/item/67053528-fender-custom-shop-matching-set-thinline-strat-and-tele

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Do it.

ditching my black proline guitar stand for this wood string swing stuff that seems nicer. They don’t really match each other which is weird as they were a set, but I like the guitar stand a bit better. Holds the guitar a little more in place, much smaller (although also holds one fewer guitar).

https://www.stringswing.com/guitar-floor-rack-hardwood/

910CED9C-E870-4426-BD71-2117DA8134EB.thumb.jpeg.671cb43ce3ab9bdec99e5de173121ee8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 4/14/2023 at 12:43 PM, noharleyyet said:

image.jpeg.5f00e250860cd78fcf343961b73aa473.jpeg

image.jpeg.0cf567954e963d377aedfb0ea0386cdb.jpeg

image.jpeg.cf60979867ce44744438e2ccc55fbc4b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1bc30997ce94eb3e0ddd3f108d13ce87.jpeg

image.jpeg.ac0bc06748ccdd95fd52a9ff6361b3cf.jpeg

image.jpeg.1918704286a8c31eddda7d667c51b376.jpeg

image.jpeg.f602adecea8aafb824c77a4650b6484d.jpeg

On 4/14/2023 at 8:50 PM, G650 said:

Looked at a clip of Mary Kaye playing her Strat and like me, she didn’t plug it in so that no one could hear her play. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 6:45 PM, Celery Man said:

Do it.

ditching my black proline guitar stand for this wood string swing stuff that seems nicer. They don’t really match each other which is weird as they were a set, but I like the guitar stand a bit better. Holds the guitar a little more in place, much smaller (although also holds one fewer guitar).

https://www.stringswing.com/guitar-floor-rack-hardwood/

910CED9C-E870-4426-BD71-2117DA8134EB.thumb.jpeg.671cb43ce3ab9bdec99e5de173121ee8.jpeg

Where is the new gold top?  

5 hours ago, locodos said:

He could have just stopped at String.

If my daughter was to date a guy in a band, I'm most worried about the drummer.

There was a Texas Ex around 26 or so in the LA Texas Exes greater community at the start of the 2000s who mentioned that girls liked the drummers & the bassists.

This surprised me and I asked her “Why?”

Her response: “The fingers.”

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

There was a Texas Ex around 26 or so in the LA Texas Exes greater community at the start of the 2000s who mentioned that girls liked the drummers & the bassists.

This surprised me and I asked her “Why?”

Her response: “The fingers.”

I didn't know a lot of guys in bands but in the small sample size of my first hand experience the drummers were just low key crushing it.  I think girls want to date the singer, but like you said they have other thoughts for the strong sweaty dude with stamina and rhythm.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

wait so what are they doing to it? stripping down the finish and just putting a zakk wylde thing on it or something?

We are doing a proper finish. What's on there now is not great. Then we will go to Nashville to have Gibson do the silk screen on the headstock, probably in July.

16 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Oooh yea, glue a bunch of beer tops to it

Dude those were nailed on.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I mean, they're out there, that's on you.  

So when do you go buy the service guitar today?

Ha. I'm good actually. I have the '77 primed to go. I've honestly been playing my Strat Plus almost exclusively since I got it back awhile ago from the fret level.

The only real wish list I have right now is someone buying the AM Std Strat so I can get another Strat Plus.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

The only real wish list I have right now is someone buying the AM Std Strat so I can get another Strat Plus.

I'd be on the other side of that deal all day long if I wanted another guitar.  I'm still trying to get my current Strat to play nice with a borrowed Deluxe Reverb. 

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd be on the other side of that deal all day long if I wanted another guitar.  I'm still trying to get my current Strat to play nice with a borrowed Deluxe Reverb. 

It's a great guitar. The only thing I don't get on with is the neck radius has slightly thicker shoulders that are ever so slightly annoying. My Strat Plus has my most perfect neck ever for my hands. Otherwise I'd just slap some 57/62 pickups in the Am Standard and be totally happy.

What DR are you using? Reissue?