The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Some 80's model I believe.  It's OK, it's just a loaner while I figure out what's wrong with my VOX Tony Bruno (which I haven't put much effort into since . . . borrowing the Deluxe Reverb).

I Like It Good Job GIF

I wasn't aware this was a cover band "thing".  I would much, much, much rather hear or play "Mustang Sally" than "Brown Eyed Girl" or "Sweet Caroline" (the latter of which is the definition of cringe-inducing dreck).

Meh. Sweet Caroline is all that you say. But it always makes the girls dance and the guys buy them beer.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I’ve seen Mustang Sally cover band jokes for decades. I think a newer contender for that title of overplayed cover song is Wagon Wheel (which is a great song, although of course I mean the Old Crow Medicine Show original version).

Right on.

Adairs in Dallas has a strict policy against it. We played there a while back and would play a few bars to
irritate the bar wenches and then immediately transition to something else. That was fun.

Just got this 1973 Les Paul Custom. It’s better than my R9 and not worth as much.  Pickups are the only thing not stock and they are 1970’s DiMarzio Super Distortion….. but as soon as I can find a good set of T-tops or Patent Sticker humbuckers I’m going to fix that.

E03FAB16-F45E-498A-9BFE-5597F01D34B8.jpeg

1C08B06D-3BDA-4949-86EB-B9BD041AC088.jpeg

2D5D2717-D314-42EC-8444-908019EFD32E.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

Just got this 1973 Les Paul Custom. It’s better than my R9 and not worth as much.  Pickups are the only thing not stock and they are 1970’s DiMarzio Super Distortion….. but as soon as I can find a good set of T-tops or Patent Sticker humbuckers I’m going to fix that.

Black pickguard and knobs takes me back to when I first fell in live with LPs.  I still kick myself for not buying that White Custom in 1977.  

in 1978-79, they put out this 25/50 Anniversary guitar.  Local guitar shop in Wichita Falls has 1 in stock.  Then the 4/10/79 tornado flattened the building. Always wondered what happened to that beauty.  

This was the color scheme they had.  

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-les-paul-25-slash-50-anniversary?hfid=60270776&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17684165886&utm_content=campaignid=17684165886_adgroupid=137240598454_productpartitionid=1682339727300=merchantid=542975066_productid=60270776_keyword=_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=609048300175&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxYOiBhC9ARIsANiEIfanHZnSd8YeWM4G9D6-cXwXh8V0WZXTgQJfcrmTJhbE49bJFl4yurEaAg9vEALw_wcB

Edited by hullabelew

30 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I like the look now, but 16 year old me....looking at that LP......and I bought something else and I've never forgiven myself.  

I've always been Standard > Deluxe >>> Custom.  I just like the basics.

Weird thing is that I'm coming around to tea-bursts, honey-bursts and tobacco-bursts over the cherry sunbursts of my youthful obsessions.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

White customs are some of the prettiest of guitars.  Every time I see one, I do a double take and am like, "WOW!"

IMG_1358-2.jpg?v=1633202032

Now you need to worry about me having a NGD again.

I won’t look down on you

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Weird thing is that I'm coming around to tea-bursts, honey-bursts and tobacco-bursts over the cherry sunbursts of my youthful obsessions.

It’s ok to like them all!  I’m an equal opportunity guitar buyer

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Black pickguard and knobs takes me back to when I first fell in live with LPs.  I still kick myself for not buying that White Custom in 1977.  

It’s not too late.  These 1970’s Les Pauls still get shit on enough that they can be found relatively cheap.  You may have to sift through a few to find a good one, but this old 73 is better than any of the new Gibson stuff in my opinion…..and Gibson is building some pretty good stuff right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh, I could never own a custom.  I feel stupid being seen with such a guitar.  Looking at the electrics on my wall>

Mex Nashville Tele:  Used for $200
Epi 339:  Used for $170
Gretsch hollowbody:  Used for $500 
Epi Century (1962):  Traded a rarely play 2014 LP Standard Honeyburst.   About $2100 value.  The tag from Carter's in the Epi case listed $2,600.

My 2 acoustics were bought new.  
I feel bad being seen with the Gretsch because it is the Falcon color scheme.  Very gaudie looking.  Just too good of a deal to pass up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hullabelew said:

Oh, I could never own a custom.  I feel stupid being seen with such a guitar.  Looking at the electrics on my wall>

Mex Nashville Tele:  Used for $200
Epi 339:  Used for $170
Gretsch hollowbody:  Used for $500 
Epi Century (1962):  Traded a rarely play 2014 LP Standard Honeyburst.   About $2100 value.  The tag from Carter's in the Epi case listed $2,600.

My 2 acoustics were bought new.  
I feel bad being seen with the Gretsch because it is the Falcon color scheme.  Very gaudie looking.  Just too good of a deal to pass up. 

That’s all good too!

14 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I was looking at one today.  Guitar has been going for about $3000.  Then found one for $2500?  Hmm, what's going on here then?  Oh, right.  Shipping +$350.  

The cheap one that is just a reworked Standard is $3000-ish. The other two retail for $20k and $50k. I think that one is the $50k one. 

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have a Honeyburst.  It's sweet and tasty but, surprisingly, not sticky. 

winnie-the-pooh-honey.gif

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

Cool! I've never seen one with a belly-button before.

• Haha 1

I made my first Reverb purchase ever last week. But it was for a friend who didn't want his ol' lady to find out, LOL. Just a pedal, no biggie. Good seller. I guess I need to leave feedback or something.

I just hope it doesn't open up a wormhole for buying more shit I don't need. I know, that's not supposed to be how this works.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I made my first Reverb purchase ever last week. But it was for a friend who didn't want his ol' lady to find out, LOL. Just a pedal, no biggie. Good seller. I guess I need to leave feedback or something.
I just hope it doesn't open up a wormhole for buying more shit I don't need. I know, that's not supposed to be how this works.

Welcome to the club, pal.
  • Haha 1