The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

30 minutes ago, DougO said:

I made my first Reverb purchase ever last week. But it was for a friend who didn't want his ol' lady to find out, LOL. Just a pedal, no biggie. Good seller. I guess I need to leave feedback or something.

I just hope it doesn't open up a wormhole for buying more shit I don't need. I know, that's not supposed to be how this works.

He does realize his wife won’t divorce him over a guitar pedal right?

48 minutes ago, DougO said:

I made my first Reverb purchase ever last week. But it was for a friend who didn't want his ol' lady to find out, LOL. Just a pedal, no biggie. Good seller. I guess I need to leave feedback or something.

I just hope it doesn't open up a wormhole for buying more shit I don't need. I know, that's not supposed to be how this works.

pedro-monkey-puppet.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s been a couple of weeks since we had a prs or Joe B discussion. I think I had landed on “Joe B is a guy who loves guitars and is living his best life, who am I to hate.” And then last night I saw this ad where he is wearing a True Religion hoodie and I’m back to square 1.

0CFEF3BC-5881-47B0-9D81-07D858A51345.thumb.jpeg.0cb1ca2f3bc6d9c1eef6ee143f63a868.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DougO said:

you're fucked.

• Haha 1

It’s been a couple of weeks since we had a prs or Joe B discussion. I think I had landed on “Joe B is a guy who loves guitars and is living his best life, who am I to hate.” And then last night I saw this ad where he is wearing a True Religion hoodie and I’m back to square 1.
0CFEF3BC-5881-47B0-9D81-07D858A51345.thumb.jpeg.0cb1ca2f3bc6d9c1eef6ee143f63a868.jpeg

I want, and have really tried, to like the guy. Just can’t do it. In a way I kind of feel bad for him. Something about his wiring just makes him non likeable. He may not even realize it. Even if he does, it’s hard to rewire one’s self.

I don't disagree with anything being said about JoeBs likability, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a shit what we/the haters all think.  He's got more than enough fans going to his shows and buying his merch to fund his guitar habit.  Whatever you think of him, he is pretty successful at being who they like.

I don't disagree with anything being said about JoeBs likability, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a shit what we/the haters all think.  He's got more than enough fans going to his shows and buying his merch to fund his guitar habit.  Whatever you think of him, he is pretty successful at being who they like.

I suppose this is true. But I literally have yet to have a conversation with another actual guitarist that likes him. It’s just weird.
And you had to go and fuck that up.

Some men just want to watch the world burn

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

I suppose this is true. But I literally have yet to have a conversation with another actual guitarist that likes him. It’s just weird.

I saw him at Red Rocks 3 years ago or so.  I have been to much worse concerts with guitarists I like a lot better, and I got to watch him jam out on maybe $1.5 million in vintage guitars that were constantly the focus of the jumbotron.  There was nothing about the music that was particularly noteworthy, he played, the audience cheered, I fapped to his guitars.

He had two sold out shows, and the one I was at was packed with a shit ton of true fans wearing his T shirts from previous tours.  There were long lines at all the merch stands all night.  The audience had a strong Parrothead vibe.  Like they were part of a weird fucking tribe.  Middle aged, overweight, affluent white people bedazzled with their JoeB regalia, bonding over his saccharine white-privilege blues.

Which is where I have my biggest problem with him.  There is nothing authentic about him as a bluesman.  He's a guy from upstate New York born into privilege.  His father arranged for him to open for BB King at age 12.  And he is now making millions peddling the music of hard, unprivileged lives to other people born into privilege. 

Compare that to Stevie Ray, who grew up in Oak Cliff, the son of a violently alcoholic father, who paid his dues working in a lot of shithole clubs before he ever got such a gig.  The blues gushed like a levee break out of Stevie Ray.  It is gently poured into a disposable mini-cup by JoeB.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I saw him at Red Rocks 3 years ago or so.  I have been to much worse concerts with guitarists I like a lot better, and I got to watch him jam out on maybe $1.5 million in vintage guitars that were constantly the focus of the jumbotron.  There was nothing about the music that was particularly noteworthy, he played, the audience cheered, I fapped to his guitars.

He had two sold out shows, and the one I was at was packed with a shit ton of true fans wearing his T shirts from previous tours.  There were long lines at all the merch stands all night.  The audience had a strong Parrothead vibe.  Like they were part of a weird fucking tribe.  Middle aged, overweight, affluent white people bedazzled with their JoeB regalia, bonding over his saccharine white-privilege blues.

Which is where I have my biggest problem with him.  There is nothing authentic about him as a bluesman.  He's a guy from upstate New York born into privilege.  His father arranged for him to open for BB King at age 12.  And he is now making millions peddling the music of hard, unprivileged lives to other people born into privilege. 

Compare that to Stevie Ray, who grew up in Oak Cliff, the son of a violently alcoholic father, who paid his dues working in a lot of shithole clubs before he ever got such a gig.  The blues gushed like a levee break out of Stevie Ray.  It is gently poured into a disposable mini-cup by JoeB.

Well, there's an ass for every seat my man.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Goredho said:

concert-band.gif

Also this.  

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Well you certainly atoned for a momentary lack of Bonacomisseration. So I suppose he is the Michael Buble of the Sammy Davis Jr.s huh? 

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I want, and have really tried, to like the guy. Just can’t do it. In a way I kind of feel bad for him. Something about his wiring just makes him non likeable. He may not even realize it. Even if he does, it’s hard to rewire one’s self.

I like everything about the guitars and amps and am glad he likes to talk about them and post videos.  I will sit and watch them and not feel any negativity toward the guy.  But I don't like his style of playing at all.  It's just soulless.

Edited by dcbc

After a year and a half or so, I am still a beginner. I’ve made tons of progress and have a really nice gear collection, but there are still hurdles.

Like when I started I felt my hands were too small to play a C chord. The i felt like I could never play a barre chord. Those things are tackled, But now, I really don’t see how I can play something like D/F#. My hand/thumb just can’t physically hold the low E and the chord. I can’t see what kind of stretching or practice I can do to make a difference. Any advice?

10 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

But now, I really don’t see how I can play something like D/F#. My hand/thumb just can’t physically hold the low E and the chord. I can’t see what kind of stretching or practice I can do to make a difference. Any advice?

Is this what you're referring to?

D/F# chord diagram 200232

Is this what you're referring to?
D-Fsharp.png

I think that’s it. I use that from time to time. Shallow comes to mind.

No real shortcuts that I know of. Just gotta practice throwing that thumb up there. But typically I’m not really strumming the whole chord. Usually just the F# first with the d relaxed, then hitting the D if that makes any sense.

I've never even tried it, don't care to try it.  Not having that particular chord shape in your repetoire is hardly a limitation.  If you can't play it, don't play it.

Speaking of thumb-over, check out Sting.  He probably does it all the time but I noticed this the other day in a deep dive into the rabbit hole:

image.png.e543a8866fb6c3c39c19670e11b95576.png

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I think that’s it. I use that from time to time. Shallow comes to mind.

No real shortcuts that I know of. Just gotta practice throwing that thumb up there. But typically I’m not really strumming the whole chord. Usually just the F# first with the d relaxed, then hitting the D if that makes any sense.

Check out Tom Bukovac's Home Schoolin' youtube channel. Using his thumb to play bass notes is one of his big things that opens up a lot of chord possibilities all over the neck. 

Start with the early episodes, Corona Lessons, going into the Home Schoolin' re-branding. Most of the essentials are right there.

I'm not saying I can do any of that shit, but I intend to work on it. I dig his style. It resonates with me.

I got one of the Les Pauls with the damn circuit board. It’s got a few problems - when you pull out the volume knobs, the pickups are supposed to be tapped, decreasing the volume.

Nothing happens when I pull out the bridge volume knob.

OTOH, with the neck pickup knob pushed in (full humbucker), the volume is low. Pull it out and volume is full strength.

Last complaint is everything sounds muddy even though  I’ve lowered the pickups as much as possible, but still mud.

Thinking of ditching the circuit board and going to tradition wiring. What says you?

Eddie Van Halen’s ‘Hot for Teacher’ Guitar Sells for $3.9 Million at Auction

THE ICONIC “FRANKENSTRAT” guitar that Eddie Van Halen played both onstage and in the classic video for Van Halen’s “Hot for Teacher” sold at auction this week for a whopping $3.9 million.

The Sotheby’s auction also included other ephemera from the famed 1984 video — including the straitjacket and white gloves worn by EVH in the visual — but the main draw was the custom-made Strat with its Van Halen’s trademark De Stilj-inspired paint job. The guitar blew past the pre-auction estimate of between $2 and 3 million.

The item also came with a letter of provenance from Kramer Guitars’ Paul “Unk” Unkert, who custom-made this guitar to Van Halen’s demanding specifications in late 1982. “The ‘Hot For Teacher’ Van Halen [guitar] was built by me at the Kramer Green Grove Road Plant in Neptune, NJ around 1982-1985/ #CO176. Look for ‘Unk’ stamps on Neck and Body. It was my last project for Ed and Kramer,” Unkert writes in the note.

After serving as Eddie Van Halen’s main ax for a few years, the guitar was gifted to the band’s retiring drum tech in 1990, who in turn gave it to their nephew, who sold it to Huntington Beach, California shop Neal’s Music, who auctioned it via Sotheby’s to a still-unknown winning bidder.

While the sale set a record for the most expensive Frankenstrat sold at auction — the late guitarist had an arsenal of the beloved model in his collection, some of which have already been sold — the sale fell short of the auction history-making guitars owned by Kurt Cobain, whose MTV Unplugged acoustic sold for $6 million and “Smells Like Teen Spirit” guitar sold for $4.5 million. 

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Check out Tom Bukovac's Home Schoolin' youtube channel. Using his thumb to play bass notes is one of his big things that opens up a lot of chord possibilities all over the neck. 

Start with the early episodes, Corona Lessons, going into the Home Schoolin' re-branding. Most of the essentials are right there.

I'm not saying I can do any of that shit, but I intend to work on it. I dig his style. It resonates with me.

Jimi Hendrix is probably the first person I think of when it comes to playing bass notes on the thumb. He was a master

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I have a friend who is considered by many to be one of the greats at blues. If you ask for hideaway, he will ask 15 questions because of recording changes, Freddie changed strings in 69, etc. He’s played with everyone.

He laughs at Joe B whenever anyone brings him up in a conversation about great blues players.
  • Hook 'Em 1