The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I have found that deadening/sounding the right strings has been way more useful than doing thumb acrobatics to fret additional strings. I mean, you should work on both (and the secret tip is to keep doing it and it will become easy), but I almost never ever ever play D with the thumb over the top but I frequenlty play

3x003x
xx023x or xx0230 or xx0232
x3x03x

etc

One of my favorite voicings for D is to take the open C major chord and slide it up 2 frets.  It plays as D F# G D E, which I guess is D add(4) with the 9th?  D add (4,9)?

I almost always use it in passing, for instance as the IV-V-1 pattern in G (normally C D G chords).  Tons of color.  I wouldn't use it as the root (I) chord in D major, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

One of my favorite voicings for D is to take the open C major chord and slide it up 2 frets.  It plays as D F# G D E, which I guess is D add(4) with the 9th?  D add (4,9)?

I almost always use it in passing, for instance as the IV-V-1 pattern in G (normally C D G chords).  Tons of color.  I wouldn't use it as the root (I) chord in D major, though.

I love that chord shape for D.  Sorta similar, I'll often drop the D played by the pinky on the 5th string and just play open A with the 3rd inversion D triad over it, maybe adding the 2nd F# on the first string.  It is more often considered an A6sus chord, but it works anywhere a D can be placed as the low A is also in the D triad.

image.thumb.png.57c224b93ed5f781ad7d0b802386b5e2.png

If you do it in drop-D tuning, it is so big and beautiful. Like a Vic Mackey match.com pairing.

image.thumb.png.393cecad9e7ad970a4b97514c11595b1.png

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Em D C jjD

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah it's a good one. We had a song in high school that took a C and slid it to D, always loved it.

Looks like Isbell is throwing in the low A with his ring finger.  That's gonna take a little work on my part, because I use my ring finger for the low C (or low D when I slide up).  My pinky is just hanging out, doing nothing, as usual.

Gotta try that out.

image.png.c9f8b7196c4c2064b53461ffdae5d801.png

Edited by jimmyjazz

You know, the pinky is the strongest finger on your hand. Learn to use it. 

The pinkie holds as much as 50% of your hand strength. The pinkie along with the ring finger forms the power bottom of your hand while the thumb, index finger, and middle finger provide dexterity. In fact, losing your little finger and ring finger can reduce your grip strength by 67%.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Y'all sound fantastic.

Yeah, no slight intended on your playing or singing, @tbone_, you're absolutely on point, but holy smokes she has a great voice.  Great pitch, super control, sweet tone, nice but very slight vibrato.  Absolutely in that Bonnie Raitt, Susan Tedeschi realm as a singer.  I'd love to see y'all live.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I agree. Very last song on that video at about the 3 hour mark is Love me like a man by Bonnie Raitt. Think Angel From Montgomery is in there early somewhere.

About 5-6 years ago after the first time our other guitar player brought her in to sing with our full band, apparently I told him I could listen to her sing every day. He reminded me of that the other day lol.

And believe me, I’m fully aware that this is the PK show. I’m just there so it’s not karaoke, and to not run people off in between her songs.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

And believe me, I’m fully aware that this is the PK show. I’m just there so it’s not karaoke, and to not run people off in between her songs.

Nah man, you're essential in that duo.  Sometimes you just gotta let the stars shine, though, and you're clearly doing that.

Thanks man. I do try to make it sound good. It’s always surprising to me how many folks I see who do what we do that don’t sound that great.

It’s not super complicated. Signal chain is Larrivee with LR Baggs Anyhem pickup, going into the pedal board below. Then into a Electrovoice EV 30M tower array (way better than Bose, built in mixer we run with the iPad). Also using an additional QSC 8.2 as a second main.

ce95498cfdf92a5e58db6de3877597b1.jpg

Pedal board is boss eq into LR Baggs Venue preamp. The TC Helicon boxes are for vocals and they are magic.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Thanks man. I do try to make it sound good. It’s always surprising to me how many folks I see who do what we do that don’t sound that great.

It’s not super complicated. Signal chain is Larrivee with LR Baggs Anyhem pickup, going into the pedal board below. Then into a Electrovoice EV 30M tower array (way better than Bose, built in mixer we run with the iPad). Also using an additional QSC 8.2 as a second main.

ce95498cfdf92a5e58db6de3877597b1.jpg

Pedal board is boss eq into LR Baggs Venue preamp. The TC Helicon boxes are for vocals and they are magic.

I'm curious, do you get mu h noise with the GE7 set like that

39 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Thanks.  I have that Duplicator and LOVE it.  

On 4/23/2023 at 3:48 PM, Superhero said:

I got one of the Les Pauls with the damn circuit board. It’s got a few problems - when you pull out the volume knobs, the pickups are supposed to be tapped, decreasing the volume.

Nothing happens when I pull out the bridge volume knob.

OTOH, with the neck pickup knob pushed in (full humbucker), the volume is low. Pull it out and volume is full strength.

Last complaint is everything sounds muddy even though  I’ve lowered the pickups as much as possible, but still mud.

Thinking of ditching the circuit board and going to tradition wiring. What says you?

I just went through this with my SG.  For the mud, you may have some success swapping out the volume and tone pots for 500k pots.  But since it's all one with the circuit board, a new wiring harness is in order.  I ordered a replacement harness from Jonesyblues.com.  It was well made, dropped right in, and really improved matters.  Of course, from there, you'll need a way to hook up the pickups and the ones designed for the Gibson PCB aren't going to work without modifications.  Might be a good time to replace with something better.

I'm not good with wiring, so I'm no help with the coil taps.  But it can be done.

Interesting. I love a GE7, had at least one for decades but they all hiss like mad above unity gain on the output

Yea no issues with that. I actually use mine as a boost (while cutting all the frequencies). Along with the boost on the Baggs di box. The Anthem needs it to sound big.

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Finally got the battery worked out on the zoom video camera. Below is a raw clip of our full show on Friday night if anyone is interested. Plenty of cringy fuckups and other iffy moments I hear but as always open to and appreciative of any all all comments, good or bad

Half expected to see Army Brat and his wife packing up half their food to take home. 

• Like 1

I started picking out this Manchester Orchestra song because it came on my spotify and it's fun to play - 

and then I noticed a telecaster on another video, which... I had never clocked them as a telecaster band and thought that was interesting

and looking closer at the tele... what is going on there.... so here's for whatever reason the world's most awkward rig rundown video

DSC_2591.jpg&q=90&w=650&zc=1

it's a fucking seymour duncan "little '59" mini humbucker wired directly to the output

5 hours ago, dcbc said:

I just went through this with my SG.  For the mud, you may have some success swapping out the volume and tone pots for 500k pots.  But since it's all one with the circuit board, a new wiring harness is in order.  I ordered a replacement harness from Jonesyblues.com.  It was well made, dropped right in, and really improved matters.  Of course, from there, you'll need a way to hook up the pickups and the ones designed for the Gibson PCB aren't going to work without modifications.  Might be a good time to replace with something better.

I'm not good with wiring, so I'm no help with the coil taps.  But it can be done.

Did you do the install yourself?

I don't really care about coil tapping or phasing, just want a classic LP, non-muddy tone.

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

Did you do the install yourself?

I don't really care about coil tapping or phasing, just want a classic LP, non-muddy tone.

I installed the wiring harness.  I paid my local shop to install the pickups and do a setup.  I wasn't feeling confident in my soldering abilities.

Mojotone 59 PAF Clones were a solid choice and didn't break the bank.

21 hours ago, Goredho said:

I love that chord shape for D.  Sorta similar, I'll often drop the D played by the pinky on the 5th string and just play open A with the 3rd inversion D triad over it, maybe adding the 2nd F# on the first string.  It is more often considered an A6sus chord, but it works anywhere a D can be placed as the low A is also in the D triad.

image.thumb.png.57c224b93ed5f781ad7d0b802386b5e2.png

If you do it in drop-D tuning, it is so big and beautiful. Like a Vic Mackey match.com pairing.

image.thumb.png.393cecad9e7ad970a4b97514c11595b1.png

@Goredho  Where are you grabbing these images from?  

17 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Outstanding!   My day is shot now.  

Tomorrow can be shot playing with this.  Lots of cool web and app based tools out there.

https://www.all-guitar-chords.com/scales/identifier

IMG_0480.jpeg
edit:  kind of a cool thing to do with this is to specify a chord, like C major below, and it will show you the scale(s) that map to the chord.  I like how this exposes the relationship between chords, scales and modes and kind of illustrates why CAGED shapes work.  Real easy to visualize the chord is a subset of notes from the scale.

IMG_0481.jpeg

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Tomorrow can be shot playing with this.  Lots of cool web and app based tools out there.

https://www.all-guitar-chords.com/scales/identifier

IMG_0480.jpeg
edit:  kind of a cool thing to do with this is to specify a chord, like C major below, and it will show you the scale(s) that map to the chord.  I like how this exposes the relationship between chords, scales and modes and kind of illustrates why CAGED shapes work.  Real easy to visualize the chord is a subset of notes from the scale.

IMG_0481.jpeg

gooooood damnit.  i was planning to get some shit done today.  fuck.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

My Dad was blessed with an incredible ear and was self taught with that ear. New all the chords and didn't know the names of anybody them, which made him useless as a teacher when I started playing with my human ear.

He discovered Reverse Chord Finder not long after he got on the internet. He loved going down the rabbit hole of entering all his chord shapes and learning what they were called.

I'm very grateful that I recorded him when we were playing while he was visiting not long before he got sick.

Probably his last performance a week or two before he passed. He spent the last few weeks playing that Squire Strat cause he couldn't get his arm over the body of a acoustic.

Sorry for the thread jack, those reverse chord finder links sent me down memory lane.

No need to apologize.  I am sorry for your loss, and I am glad you got to share a love of music during the time you had together.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I hear it’s good to know what notes to play when. I can’t confirm that but it makes sense.

I was being an asshole re: JoeB.  I agree with you, and I enjoy increasing my knowledge of how and why music works.  I am still amazed that within the natural world's infinite set of pitches (chaos), there exists 12 notes at regular intervals scattered across a few octaves (an order within the chaos).  That mankind discovered that order, and since then, almost every piece of western music -- from Beethoven to CardiB -- has been created from those 12 notes.   That a subset of 7 notes define a diatonic scale with 5 whole and 2 half steps.  That every one of those 7 notes can be made into a chord within the key of the scale by combining it with its relative 3rd and 5th.

Warning, music nerd activated (sorry @noharleyyet).  A lot of you probably understand this intuitively if not precisely, but it may be completely new to some.  This was my big aha moment with music theory, where I really grokked the relationship between scales and chords.  Look at an A major scale.

image.png.48f41b60f54806ebec5d31d2ba8ae75a.png

Now look how every one of those blue notes in one octave of the scale.  When you take any of those 7 notes (A, B, C#, D, E, F#, and G#) and combine it with its relative 3rd and 5th to form a triad, you make a chord within the key of that scale.  You can make all of the chords in that key of the scale in the exact same way using the relative 3rd and 5th intervals.

I

image.png.0325da7b98e4f6d99cfe939680b05bc1.png

II

image.png.0d88b2aa8ddc3bdedde28df3bdc00abc.png

III

image.png.68d8df506e59a71fcda4dca1e6393cd1.png

IV

image.png.caca93ea3a9c4c55efab18f2016466ef.png

V

image.png.e866f6519540b3f75d119a825af5a442.png

VI

image.png.39eeb8c2ff41c1610635d153cc7058dd.png

VII

image.png.f4df8261bee903eda4f61a428c54375c.png

Then everything repeats back at the I.

image.png.e814024ee39e91738868911128b8ae85.png

The ultimate amazement of that to me is that this order wasn't invented or manufactured.  A human didn't create it with tools.  It was discovered hidden in the chaos of noise found in the natural world.  As if there was a grand design at work underneath everything.  When I realized that, I realized that if a supreme creator exists, he absolutely loves music -- even CardiB's.

giphy_o98s32.gif

Gonna pop a gummy tonight and practice triads up and down the scale shapes.

image.png

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 4

Yea I would kill for videos like that of my pops playing. Whiskey River was his go to.
When I was young he used to play a lot of Willie, including Whiskey River. I remember him walking around the house as he'd the entire Red Headed stranger album beginning to end. He told me once that when Rubber Soul 1st came out it took him a month to be able to play every song on it.

Lots of Johnny Cash too. One of the earliest ones I remember him doing, that stayed in his repertoire until the end was Big River. When I was a kid I always thought it was funny how he said "Convortin' in Davenport". He did a mild version it that day at my house.

So glad I was recording that day.

Back around 2007 he figured out how to record to one of those mini-CD recorders through a little mixer he had. He left us about 2 CDs worth of those recordings, all just live recordings from his music room. When he passed, my daughter and my ex made a video for the service using one of the Johnny Cash songs from those sessions.

There's a lot more shit out there. As a gift to the family and friends, I uploaded all I had to a playlist that anybody who knows his full name can search. I know my siblings like to visit it from time to time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

I've told this story before, but what the hell.  My mom was a massive StL Cardinals fan.  I mean, over the top.  Never missed watching a game (all of which were broadcast locally), could tell you every stat, all the problems, how she would fix them, whatever.  Went to spring training in Florida every year after my dad passed.  Went to Game 6 of the World Series (sorry Rangers fans).

When she passed, without any family members knowing, her friends and fellow church-goers conspired to all wear Cardinals jerseys and t-shirts at her memorial service.  I about lost it.  I had to eulogize mom, which was easy but the hardest thing ever, and I gotta tell you, looking out at hundreds of people in an overflow crowd all wearing Cardinals gear, it was such an awesome tribute to her.  I mean, we all need to aspire to leaving that kind of mark.  Surely @AnotherUTFan's dad did.

• Like 6