The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

My Dad was blessed with an incredible ear and was self taught with that ear. New all the chords and didn't know the names of anybody them, which made him useless as a teacher when I started playing with my human ear.

He discovered Reverse Chord Finder not long after he got on the internet. He loved going down the rabbit hole of entering all his chord shapes and learning what they were called.

I'm very grateful that I recorded him when we were playing while he was visiting not long before he got sick.

Probably his last performance a week or two before he passed. He spent the last few weeks playing that Squire Strat cause he couldn't get his arm over the body of a acoustic.

Sorry for the thread jack, those reverse chord finder links sent me down memory lane.

Man, so good dude. I'm glad you guys were able to share those moments.

I was actually at dinner with my dad last night, and it always strikes me we've never really jammed together, and I always rue it. I need to make it happen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

I was being an asshole re: JoeB.  I agree with you, and I enjoy increasing my knowledge of how and why music works.  I am still amazed that within the natural world's infinite set of pitches (chaos), there exists 12 notes at regular intervals scattered across a few octaves (an order within the chaos).  That mankind discovered that order, and since then, almost every piece of western music -- from Beethoven to CardiB -- has been created from those 12 notes.   That a subset of 7 notes define a diatonic scale with 5 whole and 2 half steps.  That every one of those 7 notes can be made into a chord within the key of the scale by combining it with its relative 3rd and 5th.

Warning, music nerd activated (sorry @noharleyyet).  A lot of you probably understand this intuitively if not precisely, but it may be completely new to some.  This was my big aha moment with music theory, where I really grokked the relationship between scales and chords.  Look at an A major scale.

image.png.48f41b60f54806ebec5d31d2ba8ae75a.png

Now look how every one of those blue notes in one octave of the scale.  When you take any of those 7 notes (A, B, C#, D, E, F#, and G#) and combine it with its relative 3rd and 5th to form a triad, you make a chord within the key of that scale.  You can make all of the chords in that key of the scale in the exact same way using the relative 3rd and 5th intervals.

I

image.png.0325da7b98e4f6d99cfe939680b05bc1.png

II

image.png.0d88b2aa8ddc3bdedde28df3bdc00abc.png

III

image.png.68d8df506e59a71fcda4dca1e6393cd1.png

IV

image.png.caca93ea3a9c4c55efab18f2016466ef.png

V

image.png.e866f6519540b3f75d119a825af5a442.png

VI

image.png.39eeb8c2ff41c1610635d153cc7058dd.png

VII

image.png.f4df8261bee903eda4f61a428c54375c.png

Then everything repeats back at the I.

image.png.e814024ee39e91738868911128b8ae85.png

The ultimate amazement of that to me is that this order wasn't invented or manufactured.  A human didn't create it with tools.  It was discovered hidden in the chaos of noise found in the natural world.  As if there was a grand design at work underneath everything.  When I realized that, I realized that if a supreme creator exists, he absolutely loves music -- even CardiB's.

giphy_o98s32.gif

Gonna pop a gummy tonight and practice triads up and down the scale shapes.

image.png

If you want a really good listen for chord scales check out Richard Bennetts work, that dude is the master.

• Hook 'Em 1

Been with a teacher for a month, and he set me into knowing all the triads and running them up and down chromatic scales.  And reducing these to thirds and repeating.  When done in G/‘Em the middle strings are all in tune with any partial chord.  A freakin’ miracle, right?  
Point being, I used Chord Namer to name (usually 3 names at least) all these open string third pair combinations.  Just endless.

Irritated the heck out of the mishtress yesterday just going up and down the neck fingerpicking all these mashup, multinamed, always sounding right chords and progressions.    And there I got some hint about what the neck board is about.  

Edited by nbmishoid
Effin spell chk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Wait, wut?  Over $9K for a "signature" Rick?

They made a very small number. It’s a really cool configuration like no other. In fact, I’m surprised Rick hasn’t done their own less signaturey edition. The binding and humbucker in the bridge are only on this version.

22 hours ago, G650 said:

Man, so good dude. I'm glad you guys were able to share those moments.

I was actually at dinner with my dad last night, and it always strikes me we've never really jammed together, and I always rue it. I need to make it happen

One of my last impressionable memories of my dad was when he came into my barn shed with a harmonica and started playing, sort of checking the acoustics of the spray foam insulation. He hadn't played in decades but used to do it as a hobby in his younger days and had just bought a brand new set. That day he really surprised me with his playing, he was a lot better than I remembered. I wish I had a recording of it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Looks like Isbell is throwing in the low A with his ring finger.  That's gonna take a little work on my part, because I use my ring finger for the low C (or low D when I slide up).  My pinky is just hanging out, doing nothing, as usual.
Gotta try that out.
image.png.c9f8b7196c4c2064b53461ffdae5d801.png

He plays a lot of drop D, that might be what’s going on there

Dang.  I feel bad that Jeff Healey has faded from my view over the years.  That guy was a monster.  I didn't realize that Stevie Ray was an early proponent, but honestly, Jeff had a lot of Stevie's style in his playing.  He could sing too.  What a shit hand he was dealt in life.

I hope the doc comes out.

Just went into my local Guitar Center. Like 4 people working total shit show. Wanted to see/play or potentially buy a J45 or a hummingbird and they didn’t have either and no one could help. Fuck that place 

They’re so bad. Just a terribly managed business. Every time a make the mistake of going there it’s a complete waste of time. I hate that these guys put all the mom and pops out of business. Travesty.

[mention=527]AnotherUTFan[/mention] did your friend buy that Hoffs Rick?  Because it went fast.  
I dont think so. I would have, but the shipping from Germany thing scared me. Rick doesn't do many signatures and that was an extremely nice and welll kept one. Throw in Suzanna Hoffs and fuck! I figured it would move fast.

2 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:
20 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:
[mention=527]AnotherUTFan[/mention] did your friend buy that Hoffs Rick?  Because it went fast.  

I dont think so. I would have, but the shipping from Germany thing scared me. Rick doesn't do many signatures and that was an extremely nice and welll kept one. Throw in Suzanna Hoffs and fuck! I figured it would move fast.

It was a beauty for sure. But if I'm paying $9k for a guitar, I've got a few above it on the list before I reach Susana Hoffs 350.

• Like 1