The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

14 hours ago, Deej said:

I had to play this for a TP&TH tribute show.  It is NOT easy.   Wish I'd seen this video way back when.  The guy who was going to handle the "fiddley bit" broke a string (conveniently) half way through. and I had to fake it.  It didn't go great and I came in a bit early in hindsight.  I've since practiced the song over and over out of the frustration of that night and probably could crush it at this point.  But I still don't sound a tenth as good as Mike Campbell does just farting around with it in this video.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I’m not particularly good at this but sometimes I like to try and place the guitar or guitar and amp I’m hearing on a recording as I’m driving around or whatever. “Oh that’s definitely a Les Paul through a Marshall”, like that. And then I’ll google pictures of the band playing and see if that gives me any kind of evidence (although of course studio and live is often to usually different gear altogether, but still).

anyways, sanity check - what do you guys hear on the guitar that comes in at about 30 seconds?

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I’m not particularly good at this but sometimes I like to try and place the guitar or guitar and amp I’m hearing on a recording as I’m driving around or whatever. “Oh that’s definitely a Les Paul through a Marshall”, like that. And then I’ll google pictures of the band playing and see if that gives me any kind of evidence (although of course studio and live is often to usually different gear altogether, but still).

anyways, sanity check - what do you guys hear on the guitar that comes in at about 30 seconds?

Sounds like humbuckers through a Fender style amp to me, but it's really hard to say these days with all the processing.

Ok that’s enough to tell me that I was just not on the ball to start. Something about that screamed strat to me, I was thinking strat (on neck or middle) into fender amp. Sometimes I feel like strats have a… spanky sound that is a different thing than the quack sound they get on 2 or 4 and I felt like I was hearing that on the second part of that little melody.

assuming the guitarist is playing something like his live gear, it’s an LP with mini-buckers into a Fender

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I think I had that exact combo when I was younger.

I just feel like there is always something in a Strat tone that reminds me of piano harmonics.  Maybe that's a little more 2/4 though, which is where I usually play mine.  To me it is the reason they usually sound great on thick single-note rhythm or lead parts, but less appropriate for fully voiced open chords.  At least that's what I tell myself, because otherwise I'd just have to further face my suck.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Sometimes I feel like strats have a… spanky sound that is a different thing than the quack sound they get on 2 or 4 and I felt like I was hearing that on the second part of that little melody.

I think they definitely do, especially maple fretboards. I just didn't hear that in that sample. But to be honest I was more confident in the Fender style amp than the guitar.

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

To me it is the reason they usually sound great on thick single-note rhythm or lead parts, but less appropriate for fully voiced open chords.

Oh I think you are correct on that in a way. It's song dependent as far as appropriateness, but humbuckers definitely give more thickness to big open chords. The Strat sound lends itself to more garage rock old school sound IMO when doing open chords.

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

especially maple fretboards

I think it really depends.  There are a lot of discussions out there about neck/body pairings, tone woods, thin-veneer rosewood boards versus slab, body type (s vs t) . . . the list goes on.  In most general terms, people will say you get more "spank" from a maple board while a rosewood board is more "airy."  But there are a ton of variables.

Ok I’m back to feeling sane in my limited ability to hear guitars. This just came on and I was debating tele vs strat

on the rosewood plank vs veneer thing I saw a video recently where Isbell was talking about guitars and said his rosewood tele is more like a maple tele because it is a veneer, and the frets sink into the maple. That would make the veneer thinner than I thought and I’m skeptical of the impact but I also thought that Beth’s song was definitely a strat and Isbell is Isbell, so.

16 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Ok I’m back to feeling sane in my limited ability to hear guitars. This just came on and I was debating tele vs strat

on the rosewood plank vs veneer thing I saw a video recently where Isbell was talking about guitars and said his rosewood tele is more like a maple tele because it is a veneer, and the frets sink into the maple. That would make the veneer thinner than I thought and I’m skeptical of the impact but I also thought that Beth’s song was definitely a strat and Isbell is Isbell, so.

Tom Bukovac actually did a bit on that recently too, comparing slab boards to maple.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

here's the isbell video which seems like it was recorded during early pandemic days. i'd find the timestamp where he's holding his telecaster and talking about that but it's just a video of him talking about guitars so the whole thing is interesting. i was about to write that it's geared for GQ readers and not us erudite scholars of the lutherian crafts but also here I am remembering a thing that he said about veneer vs plank fretboards. also he talks about the effect of aging on potentiometers and I'm wondering how much science fact is behind his thoughts here.

i kinda miss that phase of the pandemic when not only was everyone at home, but they were in pajamas

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

The Office No GIF

Sorry.  Woods from which different types of sounds tend to emanate.  Good grief, what a mouthful.

/cue the Michael Scott "That's what she said" .gif

I'd add that for people who don't think the wood from which the bodies or necks or fingerboards are made contribute anything to the sound, I'd suggest that some of us might just tend to play a bit differently on a maple board vs. a rosewood board.  On some of your older guitars, is there more fret wear on the ones with maple boards?  Are you digging in a little more because they feel a bit less delicate?

Pickups probably contribute to it more than anything.  But, then, go play an all Rosewood telecaster and tell me you don't have to turn the tone knob down halfway.

Edited by dcbc

12 minutes ago, G650 said:

Tone is in the fingers man.

<ducks>

It's in the amp.  It even has a knob.

But in truth, it ultimately resides in the ears and the brain.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

side note, I've gone down a "punk music i used to listen to as a junior high school THPS enthusiast" trail and I miss my mt-2

That's funny, I was listening to NOFX the other day.

19 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Personally, I think this would be difficult. I know personally, I have a sound Im after that I can dial in pretty close regardless of the guitar or amp I am playing through. There's old story about all the Les Pauls Jimmy Page sold with a Telecaster, probably not many more than Pete Townsend sold with a Gretsch.

There are obvious cases like Mark Knopfler's Strat, but Im sure that Mark get get close enough to that sound to fool most with just about any guitar in his hand. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Personally, I think this would be difficult. I know personally, I have a sound Im after that I can dial in pretty close regardless of the guitar or amp I am playing through. There's old story about all the Les Pauls Jimmy Page sold with a Telecaster, probably not many more than Pete Townsend sold with a Gretsch.

There are obvious cases like Mark Knopfler's Strat, but Im sure that Mark get get close enough to that sound to fool most with just about any guitar in his hand. 

Conversely, I can make anything sound terrible

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 4/21/2023 at 12:05 PM, Goredho said:

I saw him at Red Rocks 3 years ago or so.  I have been to much worse concerts with guitarists I like a lot better, and I got to watch him jam out on maybe $1.5 million in vintage guitars that were constantly the focus of the jumbotron.  There was nothing about the music that was particularly noteworthy, he played, the audience cheered, I fapped to his guitars.

He had two sold out shows, and the one I was at was packed with a shit ton of true fans wearing his T shirts from previous tours.  There were long lines at all the merch stands all night.  The audience had a strong Parrothead vibe.  Like they were part of a weird fucking tribe.  Middle aged, overweight, affluent white people bedazzled with their JoeB regalia, bonding over his saccharine white-privilege blues.

Which is where I have my biggest problem with him.  There is nothing authentic about him as a bluesman.  He's a guy from upstate New York born into privilege.  His father arranged for him to open for BB King at age 12.  And he is now making millions peddling the music of hard, unprivileged lives to other people born into privilege. 

Compare that to Stevie Ray, who grew up in Oak Cliff, the son of a violently alcoholic father, who paid his dues working in a lot of shithole clubs before he ever got such a gig.  The blues gushed like a levee break out of Stevie Ray.  It is gently poured into a disposable mini-cup by JoeB.

Joe B is good at promoting himself.  He’s not even in the same universe as SRV when it comes to playing!

12 hours ago, G650 said:

Tom Bukovac actually did a bit on that recently too, comparing slab boards to maple.

Yep, that was pretty cool. But they were all 50s models, and old wood isn't necessarily the same as new wood. So there's that.

Edited by DougO

8 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I mean, this guy got some cool sounds out of a plastic guitar...

06421861a4f71203bb4e5f1c0fcad79d.jpg

Could've had something to do with that stack of greatness behind him, but still.

Expected to see Grohl

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I for one dig that lucite sob

Also always liked the idea of a chrome guitar. Like real 57 Chevy bumper chrome. Someone somewhere probably did that at some point.

Reverend I think, it was a cap but still.