The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

So I needed a couple things - a 3-pack of phosphor bronze acoustic strings and some compressed felt picks for bass (<--- if you are a guitar player trying to occasionally fake your way through playing bass, you should try these).  

Sweetwater:  $47 delivered next week.  

Identical items on Amazon:  $35 delivered tomorrow.  

I gotta say, it's a much bigger difference than I would have guessed.  I bought it from Amazon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:

tone plastic

Acrylic is the Mahogany of resins.

That thing is pretty, though. All it needs is a bigass scorpion inside. Or maybe filled with water and have a couple of goldfish in it.

• Like 1

Am sure we’ll see the estimable Mr Fuck’s report soon.

I threw a Goldo/Les Trem and roller bridge on the Tennessean and will be seeing if I like it.  These just drop into the stop tailpiece bushings of something with a tune-o-matic bridge and can be reversed back to the original stop piece without a modification to the guitar.  I kind of like it so far.  It’s spring feels like a Bigsby, is a lot easier to string than one and doesn’t weigh as much.  Doesn’t look as cool, though.

I’m gonna keep this around even if I don’t keep it on 100% of the time.  It will be as easy as changing strings to have a wiggle stick for warbly chords if I want that sound for a recording.

IMG_0624.jpeg

IMG_0628.jpeg

IMG_0629.jpeg

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

On 5/5/2023 at 9:22 AM, tbone_ said:

I for one dig that lucite sob

Also always liked the idea of a chrome guitar. Like real 57 Chevy bumper chrome. Someone somewhere probably did that at some point.

Delete.

Chad Fuck beat me to it.

Edited by Superhero

On 4/30/2023 at 4:08 AM, Fastbreak said:

I flew up to Vietnam for the long weekend (Monday is a holiday in Singapore) and I just made a huge mistake.

12a912f5b65996f5d7a020b0f90d32cb.jpg

Ordered it while I was drinking $0.50 beers

Badass. Looking forward to hearing you play Playing God.

Yeah, it feels like the days of walking into big box stores and expecting a 2-1 price deal on strings are over.
I probably need to change my strings on a bunch of guitars, though.

Changed some strings recently on a couple guitars and plugged a bunch of shit back up and was like, damn, everything sounds awful. Wtf?

Any guesses?

And my playing ability was already factored in, so it wasn’t that.

19 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Changed some strings recently on a couple guitars and plugged a bunch of shit back up and was like, damn, everything sounds awful. Wtf?

Any guesses?

At the risk of a dumb question, are you in tune

Well it’s that time again. I made it the guitar show but it was late in the day and probably a good 1/3 of the booths were already packed up. Still got some good shots though. Here we go.

ab76e04648b14c15fd648933e3ed17cf.jpg
The heritage auctions booth is always great for very high end or unique stuff off the bat. If you’re into these the auction is Tuesday.

234d47a8920dcff4fbee59fb8854be42.jpg
Pretty Pauls. 59 left, 52 right.

649d0451d4388609a569716cc2311298.jpg
A whole rack of cool vintage stuff.

208679ce2eaada327ad344dde4cefd37.jpg
This one was pretty cool.
eac43673ccc37c7b507f0b87814fda3d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Any guesses?

I'm a big fan of dead(er) strings. Every time I change them, I'm pissed off at the sound. Solution was going to the Gibson Vintage Reissue strings. They have a much softer sound when new. Expensive as shit, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

d2d97ea1b6aff0f5b2f1510cfda8b25e.jpg
Two broadcasters. This one dyed red (faded to orange) by a guy who was a Tech fan and played in Lubbock.
dab42717a57c064a3edf32e28fc4e6c3.jpg
Someone got a screw count?

Five, like it should be. They went to eight when they started skimping on the pickguards. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

17554a5cc36f2a14796ccdbae4d31a36.jpg
I love weird stuff like this.

14a973f6f1c1cb881120fa316f00610d.jpg
A bevy of custom color offsets.

0856995e11177291915b3c68ec59eb72.jpg
Nice gold top and Round Up.

661f2ee0a62cd40335ae0ceb142b1fc2.jpg
I’ve always wanted a Switchmaster. This is the only one I saw. Maybe I’ll pick it up next year.

d84fbda8433e64f945c32503bf6aa751.jpg
Weird Ibanez and weird LP. Maybe an Aldo Nova version?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5761c3d4b419fbbd7861f422ac64fe33.jpg
I saw this blue 345 on Reverb for an insanely cheap price and I didn’t buy it. I’m kicking myself now.

478d9e04eda87e743f982fc71fd8df08.jpg
A couple of pretty flame tops. This Murphy lab shit is getting out of hand though price wise.

2022dd801db1b42c46cf0a531df1d3ce.jpg
I thought this was pretty unusual.

20289ec6f858c3f0c644e326acb1e674.jpg

32232210c8b63423567d82773e82e99e.jpg
Another couple of early LPs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Interested to see what that Guild 12 string goes for.  To me, that is a very important guitar in music history.  SRVs, refreshed and sober, simply destroying a 12 string, acoustic guitar.  Solo.    I've mentioned before, but that Sunday night, I was sitting on the couch, playing my 12 string and that Unplugged came on.  I put that guitar back in the case and didn't touch it for over a year.  I mean, what's the fucking point.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

Interested to see what that Guild 12 string goes for.  To me, that is a very important guitar in music history.  SRVs, refreshed and sober, simply destroying a 12 string, acoustic guitar.  Solo.    I've mentioned before, but that Sunday night, I was sitting on the couch, playing my 12 string and that Unplugged came on.  I put that guitar back in the case and didn't touch it for over a year.  I mean, what's the fucking point.  

Above the case holding it, they had the MTV performance playing, just in case there was any doubt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That was the night the MTV generation discovered SRV.  "Unplugged" was exceptionally popular, and out comes this guy WE all knew about but a lot of the world didn't.  It was crazy.

I remember cold shot being in pretty heavy rotation. Always loved that video… “I can’t take it anymore Stevie Ray!” Lol

And this is just straight up otherworldly