The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

22 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Mayer > SRV 

I’m kidding slooooow down! That’s incredibly amazing. MTV unplugged at its height was the best 

Unplugged went on a roll about then.  It was so good making so many acts rise to the occasion, stepping out of their electrified comfort zones.  One of my favorites was LL Cool J's stint.  I recall the look on his face as the power of a live band behind him, coupled with the reaction of the crowd, hit him square in the feelz.  Pure joy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

He died 7 months later.  Man.

First time most people had seen him after rehab.  There was a lot of talk about where he would be able to play again...they whole muscle memory/playing while wasted.   Can he do it sober?   After the first 2 seconds, it was obvious that question was answered.  I still lost my breathe just watching that again.  

They seem to have removed that most of the performances from Youtube.  That version of Pride and Joy.........wow.  

Edited by hullabelew

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It always felt like he had an almost circular strumming motion on "Pride and Joy".  The groove was insane.

Having spent a lot of time with that tune, that's no lie.  Still gets people moving.  Impossible to stand still with that one.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I’ve been trying to duplicate that groove for nearly 40 years. Still not even close.

The secret is to learn Tommy Shannon's bass line.  Then all will be revealed.  

In fact, whenever I'm having a hard time with a tune, I typically say, "fuck it" to the guitar line, and pick up the bass.  If I can internalize the bass groove, the guitar part becomes a lot easier.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Tommy Shannon might have the best bass tone of all.  I've recorded a shit ton of bass players, and very few have great tone.  "Anemic" best describes the lion's share of what comes out of most bass players' hands.

Lol.  No lie.  Anemic probably describes my bass tone.  Then again, I haven't been searching for The Tone on bass nearly as long as I have on guitar.  Lots for me to learn there.  

When you record bass, do you typically go direct?  Mic'd amp?  What set up were the guys who had great tone using?

You're going to tell me it was just in their fingers, aren't you? AREN"T YOU!!??

Dammit. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Lol.  No lie.  Anemic probably describes my bass tone.  Then again, I haven't been searching for The Tone on bass nearly as long as I have on guitar.  Lots for me to learn there.  

When you record bass, do you typically go direct?  Mic'd amp?  What set up were the guys who had great tone using?

You're going to tell me it was just in their fingers, aren't you? AREN"T YOU!!??

Dammit. 

Well, yes, it was in their fingers.  Even more so than with guitar players.  A Tube Screamer can mask a lot of flaws.  Not so easy with bass.

I usually recorded via a direct box split into their amp of choice, and tried to blend after the fact.  If it didn't work, I would re-amp the direct channel into a different amp and futz around until the desired tone vaguely appeared over the horizon.  Then we'd all drink a beer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Tommy Shannon might have the best bass tone of all. 

Goddamn Jimmy this shit is getting creepy now. Tommy Shannon is literally the numero uno example I give for bass tone. The GOAT

23 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Dammit. 

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, yes, it was in their fingers.  Even more so than with guitar players.  A Tube Screamer can mask a lot of flaws.  Not so easy with bass.

I usually recorded via a direct box split into their amp of choice, and tried to blend after the fact.  If it didn't work, I would re-amp the direct channel into a different amp and futz around until the desired tone vaguely appeared over the horizon.  Then we'd all drink a beer.

timely. 

@Paul Wesley was kind enough to get me hooked on the the tech 21 sans amp bass driver last week...really goes a long way imo. we were direct monitoring it in studio and it was a remarkable difference.

https://reverb.com/p/tech-21-sansamp-bass-driver-di-2000s-black

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Dammit. 

I typically use the same as James Jazz. Split DI.

My Dad, who was the actual professional bass player in the family, used to just plug into the board.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Goddamn Jimmy this shit is getting creepy now. Tommy Shannon is literally the numero uno example I give for bass tone. The GOAT

Well, you don't have to hate ALL my opinions.

1 minute ago, sidis said:

@Paul Wesley was kind enough to get me hooked on the the tech 21 sans amp bass driver last week...really goes a long way imo. we were direct monitoring it in studio and it was a remarkable difference.

Shit.  I have one.  Haven't used it in 15 years.  Now I gotta break it back out.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Shit.  I have one.  Haven't used it in 15 years.  Now I gotta break it back out.

feel free to drop it off at my house if you're going to just leave it in a closet for 15 years.  i will give that fat bottom girl you've been neglecting some lovin.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sidis said:

feel free to drop it off at my house if you're going to just leave it in a closet for 15 years.  i will give that fat bottom girl you've been neglecting some lovin.

I need to dig it out, it might be a guitar pedal.  I can't remember.

timely. 
[mention=250]Paul Wesley[/mention] was kind enough to get me hooked on the the tech 21 sans amp bass driver last week...really goes a long way imo. we were direct monitoring it in studio and it was a remarkable difference.
I'll have to check out that Sans Amp driver.

I picked this up when I was looking for a compressor a while back, and have since noticed a lot of bass players using them. I run into an amp when we play, but at home I don't even keep an amp - I run it straight into the PA. Its got footswitchable Preamp, Fuzz, Compressor, and Octave.

20230508_140021.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

A lot of guys these days are DIing the bass and then using the Sans Amp plug. It let's you adjust parameters without committing

indeed.  on the golden crashes track i've posted, i recorded the bass using a mic and guitar amp with a base level outboard compressor (pre-1176 acquisition).  but honestly, i sculpted the tone by sticking the stock bass amp designer in logic on the channel with the audio.  it's pretty damned good.

it was also pretty critical in getting an even tone between the recorded parts and then the midi licks i added in so one doesn't go "wtf" when listening to it.

Edited by sidis

I figure to have really good bass tone you must have an exceptionally strong left hand. Like most bass players are gonna have strong hands. But I bet Tommy Shannon could really fuck you up if he wanted to shake your hand left handed.

I just love the story about Texas Flood being recorded live and in single takes or whatever that story was. Like just show up here and vomit out what you have. And THAT’S what came out. Tone, groove, tighter than a gnats ass, etc etc etc. Just fucking insane.

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I just love the story about Texas Flood being recorded live and in single takes or whatever that story was. Like just show up here and vomit out what you have. And THAT’S what came out. Tone, groove, tighter than a gnats ass, etc etc etc. Just fucking insane.

My histories run together -- was that the one done in Jackson Browne's studio?

Sat in a few weeks ago and played bass while my friends recorded "Folsom Prison Blues". I don't fuck around with bass too much, but apparently they were happy enough with it to keep it. So, I got that going for me. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, tbone_ said:

That’s what I’ve always understood.

Always been a big Jackson brown fan. Not only does he have great songs. He gave us fucking Stevie Ray.

Though in fairness someone else would have done it if he didn’t. But still.

SRV got booed at Montreux in 82, but apparently Browne was there and offered the space, then John Hammond heard it and they remastered those to make Texas Flood.  Also around that time, Mick Jagger hired SRV and the band to play his birthday party.    That is how David Bowie met SRV and asked him to join his band for the Serious Moonlight tour.  Bowie was practicing with that band in Los Colinas and Dallas was going nuts about it. (The recordings are a ton of fun to listen to).  Texas Flood still hadn't been released and here was the hometown boy about to tour in Bowie's band.  Tickets sold out for Bowie's Dallas show VERY quickly, back in the days of having to stand in line at the Ridgmar Mall JC Penneys.  

Then Muddy Waters dies in May; SRV skips rehearsals;  stories differ here but Bowie brought in Earl Slick and left for the tour.  A month later, they released Texas Flood.   I thought him leaving that band was going to be the end of his career.  They held off releasing it because of the tour, then when that didn't happen, I thought the label was going to shit-can that record.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hullabelew said:

SRV got booed at Montreux in 82, but apparently Browne was there and offered the space, then John Hammond heard it and they remastered those to make Texas Flood.  Also around that time, Mick Jagger hired SRV and the band to play his birthday party.    That is how David Bowie met SRV and asked him to join his band for the Serious Moonlight tour.  Bowie was practicing with that band in Los Colinas and Dallas was going nuts about it. (The recordings are a ton of fun to listen to).  Texas Flood still hadn't been released and here was the hometown boy about to tour in Bowie's band.  Tickets sold out for Bowie's Dallas show VERY quickly, back in the days of having to stand in line at the Ridgmar Mall JC Penneys.  

Then Muddy Waters dies in May; SRV skips rehearsals;  stories differ here but Bowie brought in Earl Slick and left for the tour.  A month later, they released Texas Flood.   I thought him leaving that band was going to be the end of his career.  They held off releasing it because of the tour, then when that didn't happen, I thought the label was going to shit-can that record.  

I heard some of those Bowie songs with SRV on them, and...  I dunno, it wasn't a great mashup, imo.  SRV was SRV and Bowie was Bowie and the whole was somehow less than the sum of both their talents.  Both were probably better off for that falling apart.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I always heard that he quit on Bowie because Texas Flood was blowing up. Who knows the real story.

And holy fuck about getting hired to play Mick Jagger’s birthday party. I had never heard that. Jesus Christ what a gig. It’s one thing to just know you even belong at that gig. But just imagine walking into that party, plugging in, and knowing you are about to blow THAT room away. Damn.

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I always heard that he quit on Bowie because Texas Flood was blowing up. Who knows the real story.

And holy fuck about getting hired to play Mick Jagger’s birthday party. I had never heard that. Jesus Christ what a gig. It’s one thing to just know you even belong at that gig. But just imagine walking into that party, plugging in, and knowing you are about to blow THAT room away. Damn.

Serious Moonlight tour started in mid May of that year.  Texas Flood was released in Mid June.    They were purposely holding off releasing Texas Flood until after the Bowie tour ended in Dec. 83.  Different stories on why he left.  From what I remember from that time and read afterwards, these seem to be the main two.   And fuck those Simms brothers and their bullshit stories.    You can go on youtube and listen to the full rehearsals and hear that SRV was doing fantastic in that band.  Just listen to Cracked Actor and the way he hits that key change in the middle of that solo.   

1.  Skipped rehearsal to go to Muddy Waters funeral and didn't tell anyone when/if he would be back.  (early May)
2.  He wanted to be paid like a headliner, not scale of a touring musician and Bowie's team wasn't budging

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I heard some of those Bowie songs with SRV on them, and...  I dunno, it wasn't a great mashup, imo.  SRV was SRV and Bowie was Bowie and the whole was somehow less than the sum of both their talents.  Both were probably better off for that falling apart.

I can see that and completely understand.  At least from the rehearsal stuff, I thought Carlos Alomar did a good job of blending SRV's sound with Bowie's.  In most of the stuff, SRV really stays our of the way and just does the solos...mostly pretty much like the original recordings...just with the SRV tone.  SRV knew next to nothing about Bowie's music and in a very short time, he meshed with them.  In the recordings, there are couple of times where Carlos really bitches at the Simms brothers and after reading and hearing recordings of what they said, fuck those guys.   They can go sit in the corner with Paul Simon.

On an aside, I have a buddy who has engineered some of the most famous records every recorded.  You have all heard his work.  I get to talk to him twice a week.  Each time, he tells me a new story.  His SRV story:   I'll call him JR.  JR had recorded SRV at some live gig around the time that he first started playing Superstition.   (JR still has the tape and I got to hear it).  Again, this is early on.  JR sends the tape to Stevie Wonder to let him hear it.  Wonder calls JR back and asks how many takes.  One.  How many guitars?  One.  Wonder couldn't believe it.  He told JR, "I used 11 different keyboards to make that song and he did it with one guitar".  

He also has great stories about Bowie/Alomar and Dollie Parton.  I really should write all of these down that he tells me.  It always begins, "You'll appreciate this....."  or "You'll love this....."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, hullabelew said:

I can see that and completely understand.  At least from the rehearsal stuff, I thought Carlos Alomar did a good job of blending SRV's sound with Bowie's.  In most of the stuff, SRV really stays our of the way and just does the solos...mostly pretty much like the original recordings...just with the SRV tone.  SRV knew next to nothing about Bowie's music and in a very short time, he meshed with them.  In the recordings, there are couple of times where Carlos really bitches at the Simms brothers and after reading and hearing recordings of what they said, fuck those guys.   They can go sit in the corner with Paul Simon.

On an aside, I have a buddy who has engineered some of the most famous records every recorded.  You have all heard his work.  I get to talk to him twice a week.  Each time, he tells me a new story.  His SRV story:   I'll call him JR.  JR had recorded SRV at some live gig around the time that he first started playing Superstition.   (JR still has the tape and I got to hear it).  Again, this is early on.  JR sends the tape to Stevie Wonder to let him hear it.  Wonder calls JR back and asks how many takes.  One.  How many guitars?  One.  Wonder couldn't believe it.  He told JR, "I used 11 different keyboards to make that song and he did it with one guitar".  

He also has great stories about Bowie/Alomar and Dollie Parton.  I really should write all of these down that he tells me.  It always begins, "You'll appreciate this....."  or "You'll love this....."

Cool!  I'm sure we'd all be interested to read them.