The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I guess I'll leave this on the guitar thread since most here might get a kick out of it.  

JR was working on some musical that Dolly Parton was in it.  The Gatlin Brothers also had a small part.   Dolly gets there and asks JR for the script.  It was the first time she had seen it.  She takes it back stage and in a couple of hours she gives it back to JR.  He tells her she can keep it.  She said, "No need honey".   

JR is watching at they run through the thing for the first time.  He said it was evident that not only had she memorized her part but she also knew everyone else's lines.  They were all looking to her for prompts.    Then a week later, at the first performance as they are about to go on stage and JR is on the board in the back of the auditorium, she tells JR from the stage.  "The two Gatlins have the wrong mics.   They are were supposed to be blue/left and white/right but someone switched them so you will need to change the tape on your board to match what they have".   She not only knew everyone's lines, but she knew the lighting and the sound set up.  After reading the script once.

JR said she is the smartest person he has ever met.  Not only from a business sense but also from a memory angle.   I'm guessing he has worked with her probably over 100 times.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Thanks @DougO . You just saved me about $25.

I usually buy that exact set as a 10 pack and just used the last set in the box to restring my Telecaster and had the box on my coffee table as a reminder to order more.
  • Like 3

Question for @Celery Man , @Chad Fuck , and anybody else who plays both guitar and bass.

I can play guitar fingerstyle to a degree, but it's much easier / more natural strumming w a pick. Conversly, I can play bass w a pick, but it's much easier / more natural with my fingers. Is that anybody else's experience?

I wonder why that is, maybe because that's how I 1st learned both instruments and because I have fairly big hands.

I played bass first back in middle school, play mostly guitar now, but bass for tracking.  I kinda play guitar and bass with and without pick depending on what I'm after.  The one thing I am not good at on bass that I wish I was better at is funk slap style.

Question for @Celery Man , [mention=1795]Chad[/mention] Fuck , and anybody else who plays both guitar and bass.

I can play guitar fingerstyle to a degree, but it's much easier / more natural strumming w a pick. Conversly, I can play bass w a pick, but it's much easier / more natural with my fingers. Is that anybody else's experience?

I wonder why that is, maybe because that's how I 1st learned both instruments and because I have fairly big hands.

Same for me.

Those big bass strings are pretty far apart though, which is great for me. Fingerstyle on guitar I’m much more likely the grab the wrong string at the wrong time.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Goredho said:

Wives make terrible groupies.

According to my wife, the first time she got wet for me was when I played You’re Beautiful on the guitar.

Nowadays I’m just lucky she doesn’t turn down the volume when I’m serenading with her Wonderful Tonight. 

• Like 1

WTF? I'm a single coil, T-type guitar junkie, through and through. I bought that nice 2019 Les Paul Standard. It didn't change my opinion. I bought one of the Epi 59 Standards, liked it a lot, and ended up with two. Like the second one even better than the first. Now, I'm not enjoying the Teles as much. How in the world did an Epiphone LP sell me on LP's?

So I'd like to get my boy a nice acoustic guitar for a HS graduation present, but damn...don't think I could bring myself to trust that a Martin would survive a year in the dorms...

He's a good player, so he's worth it.  But is there an acceptable middle-ground?

28 minutes ago, freyguy said:

I could spend 4 grand on a Martin, but would never sleep at night, knowing it's going to get jacked up.

So $500-$1000

Orangewood

…maybe. 

https://orangewoodguitars.com/collections/highland-collection?gclid=CjwKCAjwge2iBhBBEiwAfXDBR2BZ1JbZy9NzEU5riLdOaoxdP0V-OUs-OhW3Qgq6c7kRcmFvUyC4kxoCOsMQAvD_BwE

30 minutes ago, freyguy said:

I could spend 4 grand on a Martin, but would never sleep at night, knowing it's going to get jacked up.

So $500-$1000

I like Eastman in that price range, like an E1SS-SB (sorta like a Gibson J45) or an E1D (sorta like a Martin D-28).  Recent experience with Guild would have me looking at their Westerly series.  And since you threw out Martin, you can get a D10E for under a grand, but I don't know shit about them.  I have a Takamine G30 series that I think I paid $300 for back in the day, and its a great playing guitar.  No frills, unsexy, but a great value.  I'm sure others will have more advice.

Don't go "little", get a full sized dreadnought.  Beyond that, Epiphone, Alvarez, Seagull, Yamaha all make decent instruments.
Does he already play?  If so, I'd set a budget and go to some shops with him, let him pick out what he likes best.

Why do you say dread only? I have one but I play my smaller Taylor and Breedlove more.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well I was mostly saying don't get one of those travel guitars.  Get something full scale.

I can get down with that. It’s definitely a compromise and below a certain size the fullness of sound drops fast.

Plus you don’t want to look like Dave Matthews.

I still have a guitar I bought when I lived in a dorm.  Bought new in 1982.  A 12 string even.  Just spend extra for a hard shell case.  If he appreciates the guitar, he will take care of it.  Plus, the hard shell makes taking it back and forth to the pawn shop a lot easier.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Rather than bore you with my interpretations of JR stories, I found something really cool from 2018.  (He would KILL me dead if he found out I was doing this.)  The first 15 minutes are mostly him talking about the early days of mobile recording.  At 17:30, you can see how humble he is. CONSTANTLY giving credit to everyone else.  

On one Zoom call asks me, "Is that an SR-16 behind you?"   I have NO idea what he is talking about.  I turn around and on a tray attached to a mic stand is an Alesis drum machine.  Model SR-16.  I can't believe he could even see it back there, much less know what it was....down to the model number.     

Throughout this, they talk about the quality of the Chet Atkins and Friends sessions.  

Edited by hullabelew

Definite on that one...guess now I'm more worried on "how to protect a guitar when u love in a dorm..."

Maybe stay in the low end of the range and try not to worry about it.

Maybe when he graduates college is when you give him the D-28.

Rather than bore you with my interpretations of JR stories, I found something really cool from 2018.  (He would KILL me dead if he found out I was doing this.)  The first 15 minutes are mostly him talking about the early days of mobile recording.  At 17:30, you can see how humble he is. CONSTANTLY giving credit to everyone else.  
On one Zoom call asks me, "Is that an SR-16 behind you?"   I have NO idea what he is talking about.  I turn around and on a tray attached to a mic stand is an Alesis drum machine.  Model SR-16.  I can't believe he could even see it back there, much less know what it was....down to the model number.     
[/url]  
Throughout this, they talk about the quality of the Chet Atkins and Friends sessions.  

That's fucking awesome, hulla. Thanks for sharing.

Rest of you should watch that clip, especially those of you who do recording.

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Maybe stay in the low end of the range and try not to worry about it.

Maybe when he graduates college is when you give him the D-28.

Shit, he'll have his own job by then to spend $10k on a vintage.

4 hours ago, hullabelew said:

I still have a guitar I bought when I lived in a dorm.  Bought new in 1982.  A 12 string even.  Just spend extra for a hard shell case.  If he appreciates the guitar, he will take care of it.  Plus, the hard shell makes taking it back and forth to the pawn shop a lot easier.  

no laughing matter kanye GIF

Super cool. That looks like a Fender Dual 8 Professional steel guitar from the early to mid 50s. Amp looks like a Fender Champ from the late 50s to early 60s? If you see any codes on or in the amp, post them here and someone here can probably help narrow down when the amp was made. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3