Celery Man

56 minutes ago, squib said:

IMG_9965.jpeg

IMG_9964.jpeg

IMG_9963.jpeg

IMG_9962.jpeg

IMG_9959.jpeg

IMG_9958.jpeg

I’m not a steel guitar guy, but my understanding is that the serial numbers on those aren’t particularly useful for getting an accurate date. But someone else might know more about that. But I believe that model was only made until 1954?

The amp appears to be in very good condition for its age. Value depends on originally of the parts, but here’s a ‘58 at Carter’s with a price tag of $3800.

https://cartervintage.com/shop/fender-champ-5f1-1958-tweed/2LsY4lErnNxow284tJZB1w7aso5

Does the amp have a two-prong power cable?

Edited by Foggy Notion
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

I’m not a steel guitar guy, but my understanding is that the serial numbers on those aren’t particularly useful for getting an accurate date. But someone else might know more about that. But I believe that model was only made until 1954?

The amp appears to be in very good condition for its age. Value depends on originally of the parts, but here’s a ‘58 at Carter’s with a price tag of $3800.

https://cartervintage.com/shop/fender-champ-5f1-1958-tweed/2LsY4lErnNxow284tJZB1w7aso5

1964, but yes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

Gray cord. Two prong 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

@squib "Dear wife, that is just a bunch of old worthless junk. I'll just take it to goodwill."

Ha. I have already laid the ground work for that. "Damn wife, I am tired of this junk laying around all the time." 

Thanks for all the info. I would have just thrown the amp in for free if someone bought the steel guitar.

Father-in-law was an interesting guy--I have two pairs of boots that were gifted to him from the Texas Rangers (not the baseball team) with the TR badging. Maybe he hung out with Waylon too. 

Those are the sorts of finds we all dream of. I found an old Danelectro tube amp and a Kay hollow body electric while helping clean out an attic after an aunt passed, but that was 30-odd years ago and both have disappeared. 
I have a book all about this kind of thing that was given to me a whike back, but i'm yet to read it. Called "the Strat in the Attic"

https://www.amazon.com/Strat-Attic-Thrilling-Stories-Archaeology/dp/0760343853?ref=d6k_applink_bb_dls&dplnkId=f0c8e403-ee09-4027-bcd8-21c94f86b56b

Rather it's true or wishful thinking, I've come away from most The Koffs shows thinking that we were the best band of the evening. Maybe it's the kiddie pool we've been paying in, cause D.I. absolutely crushed it and showed us how far we need to go last night. Way next level good. The band before them, some guys from out near Yosemite called False Freedom, were pretty solid too. It's quite possible that we were the 3rd best of 4 bands - which would say that they got the lineup right when they put us on 2nd.

Still, Casey Royer of D.I. told the venue owner that he really liked our set and that we "are onto something". Super nice guy when we were talking to him after the show. IMG_20230513_113009.jpg20230512_222242.jpg20230512_230954.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

Speaking of old punk bands, I have a friend in the band Get Dead and they are on the bill for the NOFX final tour that kicks off today in San Diego. That would be fun as hell. He's sponsored by Orange and has offered me use of his artist discount and I've considered taking him up on it for a Rockerverb 50 head, but now I'm thinking about taking him up on it to upgrade my bass rig.

13 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Speaking of old punk bands, I have a friend in the band Get Dead and they are on the bill for the NOFX final tour that kicks off today in San Diego. That would be fun as hell. He's sponsored by Orange and has offered me use of his artist discount and I've considered taking him up on it for a Rockerverb 50 head, but now I'm thinking about taking him up on it to upgrade my bass rig.

If they need need a local opener on the east coast I could scrabble together some old punks.

But you definitely should take him up on it.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Speaking of tours . . . my daughter's band is right now rolling into Chicago in their new old van after a brutal drive from Austin for show #1 of their tour with Off!.

I'm fucking terrified.

Yeah but damn that's awesome. Those were the days.

16 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Do. It.

Do

It.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Speaking of tours . . . my daughter's band is right now rolling into Chicago in their new old van after a brutal drive from Austin for show #1 of their tour with Off!.
I'm fucking terrified.
It's looking more and more like be around when they come through here in October and I already have a few friends w tickets based on the headliner. Hoping to catch that.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Don’t drink the tequila shooters.

• Like 1

Looking for a Gibson hummingbirds. Standard is fine. With a pickup. I found a 2018 for 2650 from ohio but I don’t know if he will ship to michigan. He ghosted me after I mentioned that I wasn’t in state 

Love those. Just curious, do you intend to actually plug it in and play amplified?

Looking for a Gibson hummingbirds. Standard is fine. With a pickup. I found a 2018 for 2650 from ohio but I don’t know if he will ship to michigan. He ghosted me after I mentioned that I wasn’t in state 
I'm going to sell my Hummingbird. Let me get it back from my friends place and I'll take some pictures and come up with a fair price. It's pretty pristine. Also, @topochico inquired about it quite a while back when I first mentioned I may sell it and has 1st dibs.

It's been sitting in its case alongside his other 65 guitars for about a year now. I've decided to sell it because I haven't really missed it, my little Martin keeps me content, and I'm tired of keeping track of all the gear I have that's not physically here with me. I've got a few amps I need to dig up and sell too.

14 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Love those. Just curious, do you intend to actually plug it in and play amplified?

Yes direct when I record. Trying to make a small album/ep of originals and a cover or 2

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I'm going to sell my Hummingbird. Let me get it back from my friends place and I'll take some pictures and come up with a fair price. It's pretty pristine. Also, @topochico inquired about it quite a while back when I first mentioned I may sell it and has 1st dibs.

No problemo

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Yes direct when I record. Trying to make a small album/ep of originals and a cover or 2

No problemo

you need to play mic'd up in a pre-schism church. you're looking for something with old growth hardwood oak for the pews, be careful because they sometimes restore with pine and that adds a certain sproinginess to the room delay

• Like 1

you need to play mic'd up in a pre-schism church. you're looking for something with old growth hardwood oak for the pews, be careful because they sometimes restore with pine and that adds a certain sproinginess to the room delay

Pre-schism?

You playing in Istanbul or something?

I visited Istanbul fairly recently, highly recommended, so this hits close to home.

There are no pre-schism churches from Constantinople in Istanbul, they've all been converted to mosques. It's interesting cause you can still see the architectural details from when they were churches, like crosses built into the masonry, but they've done their best to disguise them - completely destroying the acoustics in the process.

You can't make a decent t record in a converted mosque. No way.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I visited Istanbul fairly recently, highly recommended, so this hits close to home.

There are no pre-schism churches from Constantinople in Istanbul, they've all been converted to mosques. It's interesting cause you can still see the architectural details from when they were churches, like crosses built into the masonry, but they've done their best to disguise them - completely destroying the acoustics in the process.

You can't make a decent t record in a converted mosque. No way.

Au contraire.  This one was never converted into a mosque and the only thing separating it from the Hagia Sofia is a wall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagia_Irene

There were no concerts on when I was there (because of the danged covid).

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Like 2

You can make a decent record anywhere if you are punk rock enough.
Of course, for punk rock the shittier the room and equipment the better. I stand corrected. A converted mosque would be a great place to make a punk rock record.

I'd drag the Koffs over there to record, but I can't even get them hearded and organized enough to record in the shitty room I have here. Most appropriately named band ever.
  • Haha 1