The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Speaking of picks, anyone have a line on a bulk order of Dunlops?  I like the 0.88 mm and 1 mm Max-Grips, but it feels like they're up near $0.50 a pick these days.  I could have sworn I used to get 8 for a dollar or some such.  I need to replenish the stock, probably 5 dozen of each because I lose every fucking pick I ever put my hands on.

Man. Have we run out of guitar pics? Because this thread has taken a turn…
Aren't you up?

Times are changing, whatever keeps this thread bumped is good for me.
Speaking of picks, anyone have a line on a bulk order of Dunlops?  I like the 0.88 mm and 1 mm Max-Grips, but it feels like they're up near $0.50 a pick these days.  I could have sworn I used to get 8 for a dollar or some such.  I need to replenish the stock, probably 5 dozen of each because I lose every fucking pick I ever put my hands on.
Check the dryer.
  • Haha 2

Every time I buy picks (Dunlop Tortuga 0.6 Orange Thank you), I toss a couple into each guitar case, one under the string tree on the strat that sits out 24/7, and the rest go into an ash tray for my son to steal.  I probably haven't bought a 12-pack of picks in a few years and am due for a new one, but I definitely haven't run out.  There's still a pick in one of my guitar cases from high school.  Granted, I don't use it.  But it's there.

There's a Chicago Music Exchange pick sitting on my desk and all this pick talk just made me think about where the fuck did that even come from, and a vague memory of it being on my work desk at my old old office and then fuck, yep the last time I ordered anything from there was April 2013. It's the .73 mm tortex which is my jam, but I do just like the ever so slightly wider ever so slightly pointier shape of the wedge picks so I never use it. I just twiddle it in my fingers during meetings.

Speaking of pick talk and finger twiddling, any of y'all do this? I'm kinda medium as a fingerstyle player although I have improved vastly over the past several years. But, I like to switch back and forth, or I'm just leaning back and am very lazy about putting things away to change styles, and I can very effectively tuck a pick into my middle finger and still play. Really I think this developed out of the related skill of playing a guitar while working on a computer, where I would tuck the pick into my hand and type and then go back to playing.

IMG_2975.thumb.jpeg.c4fb3a263369dd9be925638a7f49876e.jpeg

IMG_2976.thumb.jpeg.c99e8cf98d4729d9a53d26bc432b3399.jpeg

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Celery Man said:

Speaking of pick talk and finger twiddling, any of y'all do this? I'm kinda medium as a fingerstyle player although I have improved vastly over the past several years. But, I like to switch back and forth, or I'm just leaning back and am very lazy about putting things away to change styles, and I can very effectively tuck a pick into my middle finger and still play. Really I think this developed out of the related skill of playing a guitar while working on a computer, where I would tuck the pick into my hand and type and then go back to playing.

I use my ring finger I think. But honestly sitting here now I'm not sure. I'm going to have to go pickup a guitar to actually see.

Pick talk not going away!

A while back I was thinking of switching picks. On learning so, my friend gave me this coffee cup full of old picks he'd collected over the years to sample.

20230615_084345.thumb.jpg.123205fdf513f612f75733da7c0edb49.jpg

20230615_084422.thumb.jpg.c8789b7de761cf7078a967c036fdb7d1.jpg

Related, a good friend of mine passed away last year. At the memorial a few months later, his wife had these picks custom made with a childhood photo of him on all the tables. Super cool. I played the last Vary Mary show with one.

20230615_084458.thumb.jpg.5ac8298b59a851228bf0154764dc0624.jpg20230615_084511.thumb.jpg.28f04e4e60c7299911a5d3314866121a.jpg[/url]

I do the exact same thing, celery.[/url]

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Aren't you up?

Times are changing, whatever keeps this thread bumped is good for me.
Check the dryer.

Me?  I was relying on y'all!

I just got an ES-175 not too long ago.  Between that and finishing up my car project (check the Classic Car thread), I'm going to have to live vicariously for a while.  Speaking of, this looks pretty:

it8r9rhqyzhnyafescrd.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/70113285-gibson-es-175-limited-edition-with-p-90-pickups-guitar-2007-natural?bk=

And another one of these just hit the market:

popguzf0mtayfrejihzx.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/69539270-rickenbacker-350sh-susanna-hoffs-signature-1989-jetglo?bk=

1 hour ago, locodos said:

I saw a picture of this the other day...  do want, not sure what I'd do with it, but that's beside the point

image.jpeg.c6548e3a00a53dbc07106a6068ab8d86.jpeg

New thread motto?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Pick talk not going away!

A while back I was thinking of switching picks. On learning so, my friend gave me this coffee cup full of old picks he'd collected over the years to sample.

20230615_084345.thumb.jpg.123205fdf513f612f75733da7c0edb49.jpg

20230615_084422.thumb.jpg.c8789b7de761cf7078a967c036fdb7d1.jpg

Related, a good friend of mine passed away last year. At the memorial a few months later, his wife had these picks custom made with a childhood photo of him on all the tables. Super cool. I played the last Vary Mary show with one.

20230615_084458.thumb.jpg.5ac8298b59a851228bf0154764dc0624.jpg20230615_084511.thumb.jpg.28f04e4e60c7299911a5d3314866121a.jpg[/url]

I do the exact same thing, celery.[/url]

Man, as a Cub Scout leader, that pick with the pic gets to me.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

There's a Chicago Music Exchange pick sitting on my desk and all this pick talk just made me think about where the fuck did that even come from, and a vague memory of it being on my work desk at my old old office and then fuck, yep the last time I ordered anything from there was April 2013. It's the .73 mm tortex which is my jam, but I do just like the ever so slightly wider ever so slightly pointier shape of the wedge picks so I never use it. I just twiddle it in my fingers during meetings.

IMG_2975.thumb.jpeg.c4fb3a263369dd9be925638a7f49876e.jpeg

IMG_2976.thumb.jpeg.c99e8cf98d4729d9a53d26bc432b3399.jpeg

I’ve been assigned to learn this but not there yet.

3 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

As long as we're posting band practice...

Casey came in with a good one last night. Kinda how we work with a fresh song of his - He shows it to us, we watch till we can kinda follow along, I record a take, then we move on to whatever else we have to work on and come back to it next practice once everybody's had a little time alone with it.

This is that 1st take, a tiny baby. This will be a banger once we get a proper arrangement and bass line to it - Im stoked on it. I've already rearranged it to get closer to 2 minutes - I like this one too much to be done w it in 1:20. Our singer missed last night, so Casey got to do it himself.

Most of Casey's songs, this one included, are kinda country songs he writes on his little Martin at home, then we punk rock them up in the tiny room. Our stuff that you can't find a county groove in is typically stuff that came about more collaboratively from us just jamming in the tiny room. We have a few of those on deck as well.

Scary

Why don't you tell them who your are.
Scared they'll know who you are.
Never stop being who you are, you're scary that's who you are.
Scary.
Devil said stop being who you are, too scary is who you are.
Scary.
I've always been scared of you.
You've always been afraid of you.

Fuuuuuuck yeah!!!  

Those are some awesome bass riffs too!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Circling back on picks, I once heard (incorrectly) that this player I liked used the rounded part of the pick on the strings.  So I tried it and never went back.

I don't but I end up there inadvertently all the time because the pick rotates in my fingers.

• Hook 'Em 2

Circling back on picks, I once heard (incorrectly) that this player I liked used the rounded part of the pick on the strings.  So I tried it and never went back.
I use the back for strumming some stuff on acoustic and the pointy end for picking.

Fuuuuuuck yeah!!!  
Those are some awesome bass riffs too!
Thanks. I was just trying some flavors for listening back, but there are a few spaces in there for me to have fun filling in. I've got some ideas - including a run that covers over 3 octaves over that extended G chord transition.
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

As long as we're posting band practice...

Casey came in with a good one last night. Kinda how we work with a fresh song of his - He shows it to us, we watch till we can kinda follow along, I record a take, then we move on to whatever else we have to work on and come back to it next practice once everybody's had a little time alone with it.

This is that 1st take, a tiny baby. This will be a banger once we get a proper arrangement and bass line to it - Im stoked on it. I've already rearranged it to get closer to 2 minutes - I like this one too much to be done w it in 1:20. Our singer missed last night, so Casey got to do it himself.

Most of Casey's songs, this one included, are kinda country songs he writes on his little Martin at home, then we punk rock them up in the tiny room. Our stuff that you can't find a county groove in is typically stuff that came about more collaboratively from us just jamming in the tiny room. We have a few of those on deck as well.

Scary

Why don't you tell them who your are.
Scared they'll know who you are.
Never stop being who you are, you're scary that's who you are.
Scary.
Devil said stop being who you are, too scary is who you are.
Scary.
I've always been scared of you.
You've always been afraid of you.

LOVE IT!  

12 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Chibson or no?

I have a chance to get a pretty nice fake Gibson LP* for around $200. Should I do it while I still live in Asia and it’s easier to buy?

Thoughts on fakes

*I already have a real Gibson and Epi LP

There's nice replicas, ones that are significantly better than Gibson's current top of the line offerings and approaching burst quality. Chibson ain't it.

I installed some Fralin P92s into the Tennessean.  These are humbuckers, but voiced somewhat like a P90.  I dialed in a tone on the AxeFX last night using a bassman amp model, and... wow, they are absolutely filthy.  As raunchy as the dirty snatch of a dancer on the Mississippi Queen.  I think I'm in love.

Sound clip below.  Unfortunately, the sound quality isn't great as this was just recorded with my phone mic last night.  If you have a humbucker routed guitar and want something that sounds P90-ish, these pickups fit the bill.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Very cool, Goredho.  

Fralin just makes the best-sounding stuff, right?

Best is subjective, but I think they are right up there with any pup manufacturer.  Very happy with the sound I’m getting here.

How does that work when you come through customs with a counterfeit item?  Do they only target the seller/distributor?  Is there a difference if you bring it with you versus shipping it in?  

I can’t imagine it would be checked. But then again I had some packaged jerky confiscated last time I flew into Houston.

3 hours ago, hullabelew said:

How does that work when you come through customs with a counterfeit item?  Do they only target the seller/distributor?  Is there a difference if you bring it with you versus shipping it in?  

This is the first bullet point in the US Code regarding patent infringement (which may not apply here):

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever without authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented invention, within the United States or imports into the United States any patented invention during the term of the patent therefor, infringes the patent.

I would think "imports" is a concern.  Again, I don't know if there is any valid patent IP, and I don't know the corresponding trademark/copyright IP (the "Gibson" logo, etc.), but I would not be surprised if it were similar.

No way would I bring that guitar back with me.