The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I haven't seen a Telecaster deal like that from Adorama before. They blow out a lot of Strats. It's a lot tougher to find Tele deals or even decent prices on used ones.

If they drop a Lake Placid Blue I'll have a tough time talking myself out of it.

I prefer rosewood because they feel better. As far as what looks better, depends on what it goes with. But I hate a glossy fretboard because it feels sticky to my fingertips and makes my style of shitty playing difficult. The new Player series went to a satin finish board. These previous model MIM's have glossy necks, I believe.

9 minutes ago, DougO said:

I haven't seen a Telecaster deal like that from Adorama before. They blow out a lot of Strats. It's a lot tougher to find Tele deals or even decent prices on used ones.

If they drop a Lake Placid Blue I'll have a tough time talking myself out of it.

Fender no longer makes the MIM Standard. It's been replaced. You should be able to find good deals on the old ones. Pickups need to be replaced, unless you like the ceramics. They lack a bit of something to my ear. 

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Fender no longer makes the MIM Standard. It's been replaced. You should be able to find good deals on the old ones. Pickups need to be replaced, unless you like the ceramics. They lack a bit of something to my ear. 

I'm sure that's what these are, the 2017 Standards. They have been replaced by the MIM Player series.

I just don’t like how rosewood gets dry.

I got you. Remove the strings. Use 0000 steel wool to dress the frets and fretboard. Then apply a light oil with said steel wool or a rag if you prefer. Use the oil sparingly and let it hydrate the wood before wiping it off. Personally I prefer mineral oil. Some use lemon oil, linseed oil or even olive oil. There are products out there from Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, Planet Waves, etc... but most are made with a mineral oil base according to the techs I know. I do this once a year for all my dark fretboards.

I think Planet Waves even makes a fret dressing kit if you wanted to go that route. Again, my opinion is that it’s unnecessary.

So this just went live...

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Limited-Edition-Bullet-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar.gc

I tell ya, the Squire Bullet Tele I bought half a year ago is one of the best music purchase I ever made. It's so much fun to play. This could scratch my Lake Placid Blue itch. For the money, it's tough to resist.

29 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

I think I'd like to see a shot of the room too. And by think I mean know and by know I mean need.

Beautiful guitar, man.

That's the string store Boom.....having the trem blocked, new strings, intonated....comes home tomorrow. 

Edited by noharleyyet
contraction error

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've said it before, but I want a Strat in every pastel color -- coral, seafoam green, fiesta red, daphne blue, vintage white.

And, I'm gonna build one in classic Gulf livery colors, probably a blue body with an orange stripe + white pickguard with white pickups:

Image result for gulf livery ford gt

That would make a really nice combo.

I've said it before, but I want a Strat in every pastel color -- coral, seafoam green, fiesta red, daphne blue, vintage white.
And, I'm gonna build one in classic Gulf livery colors, probably a blue body with an orange stripe + white pickguard with white pickups:

f61784f7-ford2bgt2bfor2bsale.jpg

Number on the pickguard?
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, DougO said:

So this just went live...

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Limited-Edition-Bullet-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar.gc

I tell ya, the Squire Bullet Tele I bought half a year ago is one of the best music purchase I ever made. It's so much fun to play. This could scratch my Lake Placid Blue itch. For the money, it's tough to resist.

Thanks bro. I just bought one in LPB. It should tide me over until get the cajones (and tools) to make my own barncaster.

The first one I bought was the classic butterscotch with maple neck, which has a very light satin finish. Frets are a bit rough until you play the crap out of it. The little E string was a bit too close to the edge of the board until I loosened the neck screws and forced it to be set tightly and correctly in the pocket. It keeps tuning pretty well after it's broken in, which is true of a lot of expensive guitars. The finish on the body is downright beautiful. The neck has a fresh lumber look to it that takes some getting used to, but some people have figured out how to age it with shoe polish or something. It's a good trade-off for the ridiculous value you're getting.

Edited by DougO

On 8/23/2018 at 4:47 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Image result for gulf livery ford gt

We went to exotic car shebang in Monterey today. Took a couple of pics for you. 

IMG_20180825_135728525.jpg

IMG_20180825_135911692.jpg

• Like 1