The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

50s decal font with 60s black-with-gold trim coloring.  Subtle but nice change.  

I was trying to decide if that was ever a thing, historically.  the spaghetti font, but with the CBS era coloring (which was usually accompanied by the thick font).  i'm not sure that it ever was (black bordered with gold in the thin font) but it makes it look special

djazzma.jpg

I've shopped a little for some of those racks, but the reviews and prices are all over the place. Some look flimsy, the ones that don't aren't for the poors. There are very few options for being able to check them out in person.

Any recommendations from surly rack guitar people?

Edited by DougO

Mine's from Fender.

Here's my recent hooro story.

I had just poured a full pint of beer onto a glass and sat it on my side table when a friend cones by Sunday. I let him in and I'm grabbing something I bump my chair. Chair bumps side table. Beer goes flying off side table with eyes straight for the sound hole of my Martin. About half a pint goes in the sound hole and the other half all over the floor.

The only good news is that the guitar saved a few dozen records; ironically my friend's roommate accidently spilled a full beer into his bag with a couple dozen records inside the same day.

09eeadadce212af03fe53c455706e3d3.jpg

e0e79b8803a02fb1320dcf41da99c3ed.jpg

2 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

I have the Hercules and it's great

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004P0MWCU/

I'll be on the lookout for a big sale on those.

Hangers are a pretty economical solution, but I don't have a lot of wall space either and don't like putting more holes in the wall. I think they would also be a lot more prone to accidents. I've seen too many guitars fall off hangers at music stores, so that kinda gives me the heebeejeebees.

33 minutes ago, Deej said:

I also have three dogs. Up and out of the way is best for me. Hanging on the wall, they also double as art.

931_CDBEC_4_DC4_4155_8562_68_C8_EACA200_

that stand (the big one) is just a proline stand.  hercules makes good stands, you do have to be careful putting the guitars in and pulling them out on that thing.  It's a 7 guitar stand, I don't think I ever have more than 5 in it - the Fenders can snuggle up and the others get some room.

On 8/24/2018 at 2:04 PM, DougO said:

The first one I bought was the classic butterscotch with maple neck, which has a very light satin finish. Frets are a bit rough until you play the crap out of it. The little E string was a bit too close to the edge of the board until I loosened the neck screws and forced it to be set tightly and correctly in the pocket. It keeps tuning pretty well after it's broken in, which is true of a lot of expensive guitars. The finish on the body is downright beautiful. The neck has a fresh lumber look to it that takes some getting used to, but some people have figured out how to age it with shoe polish or something. It's a good trade-off for the ridiculous value you're getting.

I just got my LPB Bullet. The thing beautiful and the action is perfect but man you weren't kidding about the frets being rough. Woof. I'm gonna have to play the shit out of it to make it more playable cause I don't feel like taking the strings off. 

Edited by ajax

I just got my LPB Bullet. The thing beautiful and the action is perfect but man you weren't kidding about the frets being rough. Woof. I'm gonna have to play the shit out of it to make it more playable cause I don't feel like taking the strings off. 

Try the fret dressing technique I posted earlier. If it’s a maple fretboard just cover the board with painter’s tape to isolate the frets and go to town with that steel wool. And cover up those pickups with said tape like I described in the subsequent post.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ajax said:

Here's what I did. I would just hold the guitar while watching TV in my chair and I would just keep rubbing the strings against the frets all up and down the neck, feeling for where the worst spots were. Just like doing bends and heavy vibrato all over the neck. Just do it almost subconsciously. It's almost a zen kind of thing after a while. It doesn't take that long to see a big improvement.

Edited by DougO

17 hours ago, tbone_ said:

4b3246ae2bff4587838e5c2d3bff15a7.jpg

1x6 MDF painted silver and screwed into studs. Hangers screwed into MDF. Completely sturdy. Buildable in about an hour.

That would be cool to do with a nice piece of lumber and then stain it, maybe round it off a little. Or a driftwood board.

Yeah, I prefer the wall hangers. I have one of those racks, but you have to really be careful removing guitars and putting them back. It's easy to accidentally bang them against each other, particularly if you've been drinking. 

This. I had one as well. Hanging them keeps them out of the way of idiot guests and kids.

15 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

If they don’t this year, they will next. I’ve noticed there appears to be a cycle/schedule of what they offer every year now. Like a rotation.

I think they come straight from the custom shop if you can get A new one right now.  

Anyone see the 2019 Gibson line up yet?  They have really pared down the number of models and color selections.
http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars.aspx?Page=2&ModelYear=2019
The 2019 LPs look significantly better than the 2018 line, imo. The colors and finishes are great. I'd still rather see them do away with the fade for the HPs altogether though. Glad to see the pickup bezels are back. Looks like a more complete aesthetic with bezels. Not team button, but team bezel. I'm a complicated person.

I'm barely coming around to the idea that the 2018s should even be considered part of proper Gibson canon. Like if the history books skipped the 2018 line I'd probably be fine.

And praise be! The Blueberry Burst is back, if only in fade. That finish and hardware combo is the most beautiful thing ever conceived by man. I like how they added hues to the finish to give it more depth too.

I think I found my favorite guitarist on YouTube. There are a ton of fantastic players on YouTube but if I could choose to play like one guy it'd be him.

He doesn't do performance videos. He seems to only do Gear reviews, but I watch them for his playing.

Maybe I've been paying attention to too many shredders but this guy is such a breath of fresh air.

What other guitarists out there plays like this guy? 

And speaking of shredders, one guy that I really didn't appreciate when I was a young is Blues Saraceno. I didn't really like him when I was younger because he didn't weedle weedle weedle as much as guys like Kotzen and Jason Becker. But going back to listen to him now his tone was just off the hook. I can't get enough of his playing now. Apparently now he's very successful making music for movies, TV, and video games.

Edited by ajax