The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Random factoid:  I watched the Dan Rather interview with Keith Urban, and it turns out what I thought was a banjo on so many of his songs is in fact a "ganjo" (6-string banjo).  It's presumably tuned like a guitar, because Keith said he was too stupid to play a banjo.  

Regardless of what you think of his music, the dude is a monster player.  Cool instrument (don't get suckered in by the baby blues):

Image result for ganjo urban

The dude can wail.  For all the respect Brad Paisley gets, I think Urban is his equal or more.  He's more versatile for sure.

I think his own stuff is kinda corny, not all that far off John Mayer's pop "efforts", but when it's time to play, all 3 guys (Urban, Mayer and Paisley) are among the best out there.  And yes, more intuitive and soulful than Bonamassa.

Yeah, that would be great to see.  I never had any interest in that Vai/Satriani version (although I always enjoyed watching Eric Johnson play, but I've seen him dozens of times).

I have an old dvd of one of those shows. At some point near the end they all come out to play red house together. Nerdy ass EJ comes out with full on headphones on his head, curly chord and all, and a red 335, and proceeds to administer a serious blues lesson.

Pretty classic actually.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I have an old dvd of one of those shows. At some point near the end they all come out to play red house together. Nerdy ass EJ comes out with full on headphones on his head, curly chord and all, and a red 335, and proceeds to administer a serious blues lesson.

Pretty classic actually.

Oh, I have to see that.  Headphones?  Every time I've seen him in a club (Liberty Lunch, etc.) he has been INSANELY loud with no hearing protection.  Odd that he would go for it in an arena setting.  Maybe it was just a better monitor feed.

Speaking of Antones, I saw a guy in the airport wearing a Cobras shirt. I had to ask him where he got it. He said Antones just the week prior. I asked him if he was an SRV fan, and he looked at me puzzled. Sigh.

I need to get that shirt though. I don't care if hipsters wear it because they think snakes are cool.

On 9/3/2018 at 8:23 PM, DougO said:

Stupid Deal Of The Hour tomorrow (Tuesday) at musiciansfriend.com.

The Stupid Deal page shows most of the items that were hourly sales items. If you pick one and place it in the shopping cart it reverts to the stupid deal price. Kinda cool. There were two different SGs in there, a 2016 brown and 2017 cherry. Plus some wall hangers, a pedal and some other stuff.

think I figured out why my S-500 won’t stay in tune... the G and B strings are getting bound in the nut. Might have something to do with factory cutting the nut for 9s, and I’m playing 10s, but that shouldn’t be the case. 

Does anyone have experience replacing a nut? Or is it something I should get changed by a technician? That’s pretty much the only thing I haven’t done before when it comes to replacing parts on my guitars.

random fact that might be interesting only to me... the claw on a G&L S500 only has 3 ringers instead of 5. The screw hole location is also different from a Fender, so don’t just buy Strat parts thinking they’ll fit into a Legacy or S-500. 

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

think I figured out why my S-500 won’t stay in tune... the G and B strings are getting bound in the nut. Might have something to do with factory cutting the nut for 9s, and I’m playing 10s, but that shouldn’t be the case. 

Does anyone have experience replacing a nut? Or is it something I should get changed by a technician? That’s pretty much the only thing I haven’t done before when it comes to replacing parts on my guitars.

random fact that might be interesting only to me... the claw on a G&L S500 only has 3 ringers instead of 5. The screw hole location is also different from a Fender, so don’t just buy Strat parts thinking they’ll fit into a Legacy or S-500. 

Have you tried a little graphite in the nut slots? I take a mechanical pencil when I change strings and lubricate the nut slots using the lead. You can also file them out a bit.

This is another thing I did with my Squier Tele and other guitars. Take the string that's sticking and work it up and down through the slot. Bend the string at the first fret repeatedly. Bend the string behind the nut repeatedly. Move the string from side to side. Lather rinse repeat. Give it some intentional accelerated wear and it may well work itself out. No need to do risky surgery or explore space age lubricants that could stain the finish on your guitar until you've taken these simple measures.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Deej said:

Have you tried a little graphite in the nut slots? I take a mechanical pencil when I change strings and lubricate the nut slots using the lead. You can also file them out a bit.

Yes on the graphite. Really sharpened the tip and got into the narrow slots.

What are you using to file out the nut slots? I’m afeared that I may make them too wide or too deep. 

I was going through some high school era boxes and came across some drawings I did. In the stack were some sketches of the musicians I was into. All guitarists, natch. I think I'll hang them in the music room.

And, as you can see, I go back to "Diamond." #og #keepingitreal92a5ccec5130d1d2f8a3143727661fcc.jpg

• Like 7

I didn't take any pictures of the complete trainwreck I caused last night, but when you do stupid shit, you need to come clean.  I'm hulla and I'm a dipshit.

Changed strings on an acoustic, so thought I would whip out the tele at the same time since it has locking tuners and is easy as fuck to restring.    Well, took off the low E, strung the new string through the back, through the peg, tightened it up, clipped the string and started tuning.  But the string kept stretching, and stretching, and stretching.  It usually winds about 1/4 the way around the peg, but I got 3 full wraps and it still wouldn't keep stretching.  

You know those little metal eyelets on the back of string-through body guitars?  Well, that one had fallen off and when I ran the string through, I didn't notice it was gone, and I pulled that ball end almost completely through the body.  You couldn't even see it from the back of the guitar and I couldn't push it back out from the top.  I ended up having to take the bridge off and yank the ball-end through the top of the body.  Chipped a little bit of the top that I glued on.  It is mostly covered up by the bridge.

Thanks for letting me share.  (Found a picture with the E still stuck in the guitar, after I removed the others strings so I could take the bridge off)

0c45ae8412b74ba1991709475b761f79.jpg

Edited by hullabelew
Added pic

Stupid Deal is pretty cool today. One of those tiny Vox amp heads that you could basically put on a chain and wear around your neck, and includes an 8 inch cab.

Local shop has one of those and they sound pretty damn good. It will drive a 4x12 cab just fine.

J56411000000000-00-270x210.jpg

Edited by DougO