The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Hey fellas, any Kurt Vile fans here? He’s got some heckin’ sweet lo fi Fender tone (listen to KV Crimes). But anyway, his new album is out this week. The album cover is damn great with the fake ring wear and throwback to the Doobies “What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits” cover, but can y’all tell me what the guitar is? It almost looks like a Mosrite or an Eastwood Hi Flyer, but it’s got 4 knobs there.

0f2ecdc0d3de889ab3cb256599571ae7.jpg

Help pls.

• Like 1

You cats might dig this. At the show last night, homeboy walks out into the crowd and jams, then walks into the street, then back up on stage.  People were going crazy.

He encored with Purple Rain (which I might upload as well) and the crowd was all into it singing along.  If you dig blues or want to see what the younger generation is doing with it, check Kingfish out. He might give you hope for the future of our species.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 1

I saw Albert Collins do that once at the old Antone's on Guadalupe.  No footage, but hell, here's some Albert Collins.  Perfect vibrato.  

I saw him do the same thing same place in the fall of 94. It was “fall back” at midnight. He just said “It’s 11 again so imma just play another hour.” And he did.

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I saw him do the same thing same place in the fall of 94. It was “fall back” at midnight. He just said “It’s 11 again so imma just play another hour.” And he did.

That was probably the show.  Black Tele with white polka dots?

"Electric Guitar in American Culture" Conference Comes to Lubbock, Texas, Next Week. 

https://reverb.com/news/electric-guitar-in-american-culture-conference-comes-to-lubbock-texas-next-week

Schedule:

https://sites.google.com/view/electricguitaramericanculture/schedule

Ought to be some sexy ass pron at this thing. It will also answer the question, "Is it possible to make electric guitars boring?"

“The Electric Guitar in American Culture” will combine an academic conference (where scholars present research papers on subjects related to the electric guitar) with concerts, demonstrations, panel discussions, and an exhibit hall where companies, products, and organizations will be represented.

I saw him back at Liberty Lunch.  Man, that was a killer show seeing legend in the flesh.

His gimmick of mimicking pretty much every other blues guitarist was pretty cool too.  Basically saying, "They either stole all their riffs from me, or I can do it better" was funny.

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I saw him back at Liberty Lunch.  Man, that was a killer show seeing legend in the flesh.

His gimmick of mimicking pretty much every other blues guitarist was pretty cool too.  Basically saying, "They either stole all their riffs from me, or I can do it better" was funny.

Saw him at auditorium shores in 2000 or so. Best blues show I've ever seen. He was spry and just slaying. And usually I detest medleys, but he did one that was at least 10 minutes and it was the absolute shit. 

15 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

The world needs more of that Kingfish video, and I need more of that cream colored single cut Bigsby whatever it is up there. That is good-lookin.

He did eventually bust out his trusty LP that he's been using for years. (Dude's only 19 so that a significant portion of his career!)

A few other people put video up of the crowd walk, and you can tell by my vid that there were camera phones all over the place.  It didn't take long for me to find myself in one of them. 

Me an my trusty UT hat top of center frame smiling like an idiot as he walks by recording phone.

I'm nationwide.

Kingfish%20Show.JPG?dl=0

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So after much due diligence (I emailed them), it turns out Warmoth does not make knockoff Firebird or Reverse Firebird bodies.  Damn.

If I recall correctly, they got into it with Gibson over their single cutaway LP knock-off.  So they probably stay away from Gibson influences altogether.  It's mostly Fender/Fender-ish stuff they do.

Yeah, I knew what the answer was gonna be, but I saw a body that looked sorta like a Flying V on their site, so I figured I'd try.  (Theirs is a bit asymmetrical.)  They also inch up on an Explorer.  Why they can't modify a Firebird is beyond me, but I guess the demand isn't there.

I go to a lot of local shows; small venues, house parties, underground punk shit, etc. I've been noticing a huge increase in the number of women musicians over the last few years. If you look at the evolution of Rock and Roll, I think the ladies are gonna carry this next chapter. I couldn't be happier.

My oldest daughter learned to play guitar, strumming and singing, but she doesn't play much these days. My other daughter gave up after I gave her about 2 lessons.

Ok, which is which? That Fano model is called the PX6 or something, basically a reimagining of the Gibson Firebird. Is that a "reverse" or "non-reverse" style? The original Firebird looks upside down - with the bottom jutting out and fucking up playability high up the neck - and the strap buttons' placement would seem to make the guitar's balance/center of gravity all weird. 

bm0pt1djbh62cdodeegk.jpg

Eventually Gibson made models the other way round. Are those the "reverse" because it's the reverse of the original? Or did the original style become known as the "reverse" because it looks upside down and the flipped over, new version looked more natural/normal?

Or am I wrong and the one pictured above come out after the flipped version?

Edited by Grandioso

Grandioso, what you posted is a photo of a Reverse Firebird.  The headstock should be flipped upside down.  (To my knowledge, that's not why they're called "reverse", but it's an easy way to remember.  That said, I always have to re-educate myself.)

A Non-Reverse Firebird has the body horns staggered in the opposite direction and the headstock looks more like that of a Strat, as in the blonde model posted up above.

I find both guitars absolutely beautiful.  I honestly can't ever figure out which is better.  The obvious answer is that I need to buy both.