The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

7 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

Thanks guys. 

If yall wanna nerd out on this guitar, I'll post some more detailed pics including the neck heel, pocket and under the hood. I'm still not sure what kind of pickups are in here, still haven't taken off the control plate either. 

Looking forward to spending some time with this one. 

Can we come over and nerd out in person? Lol.

It was obvious that the guitar had been modified, but since the owner had passed, it was impossible to ask him about the mods he had done over the years. There was some paperwork from an appraisal that was done about 10 years ago and documentation of the nitro refinish. 

The first thing I noticed when I first saw it in person was that there had been some small holes drilled on the top behind the bridge. The holes were filled when it was refinished. I thought at first that maybe it originally came with a Bigsby.

20181017-085824.jpg

I later realized it would've been a toploader if the Bigsby was original. This one strings through the back, so I believe the Bigsby was added and then removed.

20181017-090123.jpg

Paint in the neck pickup cavity indicates it was probably Olympic White originally which is what the owner's wife recalls. It also looks like it might've been painted black at one time. She didn't remember it ever being black but admitted that he was always messin' around with it so it could've been. 

20181016-170053.jpg

Some pickup routing that was filled and repaired when it was refinished.

20181016-170012.jpg

Here's a shot of the neck heel date stamp in green ink which uses a format that Fender used for a year or two starting in mid-1969. The 3 means it's a Tele neck. 129 indicates Dec 1969. B is the neck width code. The other three numbers might be a batch code. I think it might've been re-fretted and had the fretboard resprayed at the same time.

20181016-163041.jpg

I'm thinking the pickups that are in it are a set of Fender American Vintage 52 reissues. The extra SD bridge pickup it came with was in the box for the Fender set.

I'm pretty happy with it as is, but I'll probably make a few cosmetic changes myself. I might try to find an original set of knobs and a control plate or go with a relic repro set so they'll more closely match the patina of the bridge which I believe is original. 

I also want to replace the pickguard. The original pickguard was likely 3-ply with white on top, black in the middle and pearloid on the bottom. There's an original one right now on Ebay for $400 haha. I like black but it needs to have that little notch by the truss rod, and I want to mount the neck pickup on the body like it was originally so you don't see the height adjustment screws on the pickguard. 

Like I said, nerding out...

well to tide us over while we're waiting, my humble contribution
2e0jx2p.jpg
eight slots, seven guitars, something doesn't add up
SOON
el4pq9.jpg
the neck is on the way, the painting is about done, just have to clear coat it and reassemble
What do you play these jewels thru? As mentioned, check the amp thread.

I bought a guitar on an online music auction once so I'll get an e-mail once in a while from them. 

Bo Diddley's last used stage guitar - Current Bid: $5,000.00; Expected sales price: $20,000.00 to $40,000.00.

299646_0.jpg?1539040442

Bo Diddley guitar strap - Current bid: $300.00; Expected sales price: $1,000.00-$2,000.00.

299645_0.jpg?1539040441

I need to copy the full description on this:

A group of three quarter-inch magnetic tape recordings (7.5ips) featuring tracks from the 1968 The Jimi Hendrix Experience album Electric Ladyland, together with five reel boxes bearing titles and recording information from the Ladyland sessions, including notations made in Hendrix’s own hand. Reel 1 contains a live studio “jam” version of “Voodoo Child” with Steve Winwood on organ and Jack Casady on bass. The reels were reportedly gifted to a member of the Welsh rock group Amen Corner while they were on tour with Hendrix in Europe. Reel 1: “All Along the Watchtower,” “And the Gods Made Love,” “Crosstown Traffic,” “Voodoo Child”; Reel 2: “All Along the Watchtower,” “Burning of the Midnight Lamp,” “Gypsy Eyes”; Reel 3: “Gypsy Eyes.”

Current bid: $12,500.00; Estimated sales price $50,000.00-$7,000.00. Whoever buys this shit needs to convert the tape to digital and put the Voodoo Child jam online.

300189_0.jpg?1539076684

Happy bidding!

• Like 1

Yeah man, for sure. I'll take some more pics and post em. Let me know if there's any specific parts of the neck you want me to focus on. 

I ended up reading a bunch about the maple Tele necks that Fender made in the late 60s while I was researching this guitar. They made a two piece maple cap neck and then a solid one piece maple neck with a skunk stripe. Mine has the one piece. 

The two piece maple cap necks made in 68 and early 69 are highly sought after just cuz there weren't that many made and some guys like the look of all maple on the back of the neck and no truss rod plug on the headstock. I can post some examples if that doesn't make sense. 

Edited by Foggy Notion

I highly encourage all of you bedroom players, no matter your experience level, to find some people to play with.  It's a completely different experience from playing alone and can be incredibly rewarding.   Just got off-stage for the first time in a year or so and there's really nothing like it.  Thanks to the internet, you can find local meet-up groups for jams that welcome people of all skill levels, so there's no excuse. 

• Like 2

I absolutely agree with that, Mojo. When I was playing for my old church in Houston it was a completely different experience. I was surrounded by extremely talented musicians, singers and arrangers and it brought out a level of creativity that had been sorely missing from my overall experience. I’ll likely be moving to the Austin area within the next year and would love to explore meeting up with a few of you guys once I get there.

Awesome Mojo! No substitute for getting out and playing to the world. So what gear did you use?

Btw, if any of you guys are Dallas Nov. 1, I’m sitting in on bass with Chris Norwood who’s an up and coming singer songwriter on State Fair records. We will be at Sundown at Granada at 10:30 that evening. Probably use my trusty P-bass.

I highly encourage all of you bedroom players, no matter your experience level, to find some people to play with.  It's a completely different experience from playing alone and can be incredibly rewarding.   Just got off-stage for the first time in a year or so and there's really nothing like it.  Thanks to the internet, you can find local meet-up groups for jams that welcome people of all skill levels, so there's no excuse. 

Couldn’t agree more.

31 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Awesome Mojo! No substitute for getting out and playing to the world. So what gear did you use?

Btw, if any of you guys are Dallas Nov. 1, I’m sitting in on bass with Chris Norwood who’s an up and coming singer songwriter on State Fair records. We will be at Sundown at Granada at 10:30 that evening. Probably use my trusty P-bass.

Nice!  Wish I was in the area.   I just took my strat to an open jam and plugged in for 8-9 songs.   I was in a cover band the last couple of years, which was a great experience, but I got sick of playing the same songs every time and left early this year.   Flying without a net on stage is exhilarating. 

Seriously, bedroom players, find a local guitar jam group that welcomes any skill level on meetup.com.   A few years ago, I had never even played with a single other person.   I was very self-conscious about my skill level and was afraid of looking dumb in front of other musicians.    I bit the bullet and started with local meetups, then joined a band with some of the people I liked at those meetups, and now I'm mediocre enough to muddle along on the spot in an improv jam on stage.  Every stage has pushed me to become a better guitarist and it's been really fun and rewarding. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

14 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

I play at my church even though I’m below average at best - a few riffs over here and there, but I know God enjoys the power chords I lift up during the choruses. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

That's awesome, Mojo. I haven't played much with others since I had kids, but I'm starting to get that itch.

Deej, here are some more pics of the Tele neck.

20181019-093427.jpg

20181019-100956.jpg

20181019-085424.jpg

20181019-085304.jpg

20181019-085320.jpg

20181019-090714.jpg

20181019-091400.jpg

You can see where the original owner carved his initials BR into the back of the neck. 

Nice. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

That's awesome, Mojo. I haven't played much with others since I had kids, but I'm starting to get that itch.

20181019-093427.jpg

20181019-100956.jpg

20181019-085424.jpg

20181019-085304.jpg

20181019-085320.jpg

20181019-090714.jpg

20181019-091400.jpg

You can see where the original owner carved his initials BR into the back of the neck. 

I'd like the hear the stories that guitar could tell. 

• Like 1

I didn't get to meet the owner's wife because I bought the Tele from a guy who is a friend of the family, but I spoke to her briefly on the phone when I bought it. She said she has several photos of the Tele over the years, including one of it on stage with Buck Owens at a show in San Angelo. I might take a drive and go visit her so I can get copies of the photos. 

If anyone is interested in reading an article I found online about the owner, shoot me a PM and I'll send you the link. Out of respect for him and his wife, I'd rather not post it publicly. 

4 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

20181019-093427.jpg

20181019-100956.jpg

20181019-085424.jpg

20181019-085304.jpg

20181019-085320.jpg

20181019-090714.jpg

20181019-091400.jpg

This gave me the weirdest boner

20181019-220843.jpg

This is the original pickup on my 1969 SG Jr. I paid $300 for it at a small guitar shop in Nacogdoches in 1993. It had a repaired headstock crack when I got it that remained stable over the years despite not treating her as well as I shouldve. Last year I had a new bone nut installed,  had the frets gone over, had the crack resealed and setup done. More pics coming...

• Like 2