The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I can't get pic posting to work but I got a used Martin MMV this week.  I know it is a GC exclusive but I am really happy with it.  Solid spruce top and rosewood back and sides.  Ebony fretboard.  I don't have a lot of Martin experience and I am sure the more expensive versions sound amazing but I am really happy with it.

I know most people start on acoustic and move to electric.  I did the opposite and think I missed out on training my right hand.  

Edited by CTC2

Deej, That Elder's React vid was awesome. My youngest, the drummer, is a huge Zep/Bonzo fan (I steered him in that direction as soon as he picked up the sticks. You're welcome.) and has been pushing GVF on me. The kid has pipes and they've got a good groove but their songs are weak and derivative. But, then, they're really young. They do have promise.

I don't know if I can forgive those folks for not knowing The Crunge. As a bassist it's been a favorite for a looooong time.

Yeah, hopefully they'll get stronger. Still not bad. Nice to hear something other than overproduced hipster music getting some love. Kid sounds just like Robert Plant to me. It's creepy, almost. Plant, btw, gave them some love this last week. 

Deej, That Elder's React vid was awesome. My youngest, the drummer, is a huge Zep/Bonzo fan (I steered him in that direction as soon as he picked up the sticks. You're welcome.) and has been pushing GVF on me. The kid has pipes and they've got a good groove but their songs are weak and derivative. But, then, they're really young. They do have promise.
I don't know if I can forgive those folks for not knowing The Crunge. As a bassist it's been a favorite for a looooong time.

You have crystallized my feelings on GVF. I had some friends going nuts over them and I gave them a listen and thought, “Why these guys?” There have been a number of throwback rock bands over the last few years and I couldn’t figure out why this one in particular was garnering so much praise. I think it must be the singer.

Need a quick rec -- what is the go-to "value" 5-string bass these days?  A buddy and his bandmates want to buy their bass player a new one for his birthday.  They're kind of hoping to stay at $700 or so.  There is a Fender "Standard" model in that price range, any other brands or models to consider?  The G&L Tribute looks to be a little more $$$.

Need a quick rec -- what is the go-to "value" 5-string bass these days?  A buddy and his bandmates want to buy their bass player a new one for his birthday.  They're kind of hoping to stay at $700 or so.  There is a Fender "Standard" model in that price range, any other brands or models to consider?  The G&L Tribute looks to be a little more $$$.

What’s he play now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

We're in the golden age of entry-to-mid level guitars.

I think we're in a golden age of guitars, period.  

Take the Cordoba I just bought my son.  $129.  Already set up to play without taking to a luthier.  The kid wants to play it because it isn't a total piece of shit, unlike say, the Regal my Dad started out on (and still has). If I'd have started on that, well, I'd have given up.  You can hardly play the damn thing at all.  Kills your fingers.  I'll bet the strings are half an inch off the fretboard.  A whole generation learned on that kind of garbage.  

Music Man over Fender. Fender over Sterling. G&L’s are an excellent option.

Pickup configuration in order of preference:

Music Man dual

Fender P/J

Fender P bass

G&L dual

Fender J bass

Also consider a Korean Spector Legend 5. Fabulous instrument. Can be had in a P/J active configuration or dual HB active. Well balanced, light and infinitely playable.