Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Hey Surly - started following/lurking recruiting about the same time of the Garrett Wilson/OSU decision. Wish I had know better and walked away - now I feel like a crackhead looking for my next fix. Thanks.

You jinxing motherf*cker

3 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Apparently Zach Evans has a new top 5 on IG live today, Texas, aggy, LSU, Bama, add Georgia. Not that it matters. 

Oh goody, we get the honor of being involved with his verbal commitment hat dance. 

9 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Apparently Zach Evans has a new top 5 on IG live today, Texas, aggy, LSU, Bama, add Georgia. Not that it matters. 

And I have a top 5 of Scarlet Johansen, Mrs. Walden Ponderer, the cute chick who works at the movie theater, and two other random women who may or may not have appeared nude on screen at some point. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

And I have a top 5 of Scarlet Johansen, Mrs. Walden Ponderer, the cute chick who works at the movie theater, and two other random women who may or may not have appeared nude on screen at some point. 

With the obvious difference that only one of your offers is committable

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VaHorn said:

Umm, from Walden’s perspective all of these offers are committable.  Desperately so ....

I don't know that I'd say desperate. I have a hell of an imagination, after all.

Not good enough to be able to picture Zach Evans turning down all the $EC, $EC, $EC fringe benefits and donning burnt orange, but good enough to not mind Ms. Johansen not returning my phone calls.

Roach: Observations from Day 2 of Opening Finals

Spoiler

—Texas commit Logan Parr had a good day on the offensive line. The four-star OL from San Antonio O’Connor showed quick feet and moved incredibly well laterally to stay in front of much bigger defensive linemen. Parr gave up a little bit in the strength battle, but he made up for it with his athleticism and leverage. Several of the other analysts I spoke with mentioned Parr as a guy who stuck out to them.

—Texas commit Jake Majors knew he had a rough day yesterday. He told me after today that he worked on his technique as an interior player. Majors will play inside in college, but he’s only played tackle up to this point. Majors moved his feet better today, and he also engaged his hips more consistently which helped him anchor against stronger players. He started off with a few bad losses, but he gained more comfort as the day went on.

—2021 Bellaire Episcopal OL Donovan Jackson was one of the strongest offensive linemen over the last two days. Jackson’s technique is rock-solid, and his feet and quickness were tough to beat. Jackson doesn’t have the idea tackle build, but he utilizes his long arms so well. He also stays cool and calm under pressure, and that really plays in a big-time environment like this.

—Four-star Cypress Ridge DL Vernon Broughton got his first day of work after arriving yesterday. Broughton may have benefitted from playing inside, but he showed some quickness and quick twitch from the edge. Broughton’s true development will come when he improves his hands and adds some variety to his pass rush.

—Texas commit Hudson Card has been one of the steadiest performers throughout the week, and his ranking within Elite 11 is reflecting that. Quarterbacks were chosen to start for their teams by a player vote, and Card’s team won their first tournament game on the strength of his performance. Card went 19/24 with 3 touchdowns and 1 interception as he defeated Haynes King’s team in the opening round of the tournament.  In the morning session, Card threw for 3 touchdowns and 1 interception on 11/16 passing.  Card still holds the ball a bit too long, but he placed some nice balls downfield and showed the ability to make throws at all levels.

Johnny Wilson had a good morning as he hauled in a few touchdowns, but he was quieter during the evening portion. Card missed Wilson a few times on over throws, and he didn’t see him once when he was wide open. Wilson did a good job gaining separation today, and he showed that he’s a natural pass catcher with fluid movement for his size.

—Duncanville safety Chris Thompson had an interception this morning playing in 7v7, but he’s mostly played in the box. Thompson showed good range in the secondary, and his ball skills are excellent.

—Four-star cornerback Jahari Rogers played mostly in the nickel for team pressure. He didn’t have many opportunities, but he had a solid day when some action came his way. Rogers shows teriffic explosion and he uses his length to play a physical brand of football.

—Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic safety Lathan Ransom was all over the field, but he was plagued by a case of the drops. The four-star prospect dropped three interceptions, but his range and instincts were on full display for everyone to see.

—Four-star Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford has been battling injuries, so he’s only played a small part in the 7v7 portion so far. He didn’t see much action come his way, but he did show off great instincts to come downhill and jump an out route to break up a pass. Alford usually shines in 7v7 settings because of his poise and intelligence.

9 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Where's the guy who wants us to form some sort of underground spy network to expose all the cheaters. That guy knew what was up. 

Count me in, I always wanted to be a spy.  Do I get an Aston Martin?

Clint Buckley: Texas target Xavion Alford talks future plans at The Opening Finals

Shadow Creek 2020 safety Xavion Alford knows his high school playing career is on the back stretch, and he doesn’t plan on taking any of it for granted. Horns247 caught up with the four-star defender during Sunday’s check-in for The Opening finals in Frisco to discuss his future plans. Alford, who included Texas in his top 10 during the spring, said he is looking forward to this week’s event. “Just another week to come out and have fun,” he said. “It’s one of the last high school events to look forward to, so just to come out here and have fun against the best of the best.”

Alford knows he will be competing against the top quarterbacks and receivers in the country, but said he doesn’t relish going up against anyone in particular. “Not really. I’m pretty sure they’re looking forward to going against me,” Alford said. Alford was in Austin a couple of weeks ago for the Longhorns’ Heat Wave event, and admired the laid-back atmosphere, which included a pool party and wing-eating contest between players and coaches. “That’s cool,” Alford said. “I mean I’m sure every time recruits go up there, you know how recruits are they just wanna have fun … for them to set that up and everything that was good.”

One the dead period ends later this month, Alford has plans for a few more visits before the grind of his senior season begins in August. “I’ll be back to Texas soon and I’ll be at Alabama for the cookout, and I might hit Auburn while I’m there,” he said. “Probably A&M, too.” Alford has an official visit set for Sept. 7 in Austin, the day of the Longhorns’ much-anticipated non-conference clash with LSU. At 6-foot-1, 188 pounds, Alford is ranked as the No. 8 safety in the nation, and the No. 23 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite rankings.

image.png

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

And I actually agree with Herman on doing this. Look we could lie to Jaylon and tell him he could try to play CB and if he can't he will be FS. He might commit to us as a result. Odds are when he finds out he never had a serious shot at CB and that he was essentially lied to he'll transfer to a G5 or a P5 team with a bad CB corps where he'll probably be the best CB there. We could do the same with Broughton and he'd probably be a good DE. We could try to pull a bait and switch when he gets here and move him to DT where he could be a first rounder but once again odds are he'd be pissed at us for lying to him and rightfully so and  transfer somewhere else after. Missing out on elite targets hurts. Signing targets who bust or transfer hurts way more.

I agree with this approach in general. It's a bad job of being honest with Broughton though. Playing DE at Texas would be much better NFL prep for him than a four-man end at aggy. The NFL will see him as a three-man end or a 3-tech in a 4-man front.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well, our man Broughton, who Herman made his top priority is telling people Texas is behind both Ohio State and A&M. He also almost committed to A&M already, 

i think this one is officially over. Anyone have any idea who we have as a backup plan? Is it the guy we are fighting Kansas to get? 

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Well, our man Broughton, who Herman made his top priority is telling people Texas is behind both Ohio State and A&M. He also almost committed to A&M already, 

i think this one is officially over. Anyone have any idea who we have as a backup plan? Is it the guy we are fighting Kansas to get? 

JLR - he's from Columbia so at least we don't have to worry about him helping us with STL or KC recruits.

Edited by texifornia

I thought the DT from Kentucky (Ox-something?) was emerging as a target, but if I recall he was mentioned in a report up thread as being a heavy Tennessee lean. I don't know where Texas stands with Van Filinger. Princely is obviously still out there. I haven't heard anything about the DL from NM lately either.

Not to excuse DL recruiting issues, but a class of Collins, a good true nose prospect, one of Van Filinger/Princely, Logan-Redding, and Dorbah is definitely one you can win with on the DL. Most schools would take that 10 times out of 10. That's probably the optimistic scenario now though. Sigh.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I thought the DT from Kentucky (Ox-something?) was emerging as a target, but if I recall he was mentioned in a report up thread as being a heavy Tennessee lean. I don't know where Texas stands with Van Filinger. Princely is obviously still out there. I haven't heard anything about the DL from NM lately either.

Not to excuse DL recruiting issues, but a class of Collins, a good true nose prospect, one of Van Filinger/Princely, Logan-Redding, and Dorbah is definitely one you can win with on the DL. Most schools would take that 10 times out of 10. That's probably the optimistic scenario now though. Sigh.

Dorbah shouldn't be grouped with the other DL commits. He's a pure B-backer.

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Wonder why we didn’t go after King. Staff must believe Card has more upside and running ability.

King bloomed later on. At on point, Card was getting offers from everyone who matters in the county. There’s disagreement around the program another who’s the better college prospect. 

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

His top five are Bama, Forrest Gump, Incest, Mountain Dew, and Waffle House 

Dorbah shouldn't be grouped with the other DL commits. He's a pure B-backer.

Yeah I know where he projects. I'd consider B-backer to be functionally as much a part of the DL as the LB group. I get what you're saying though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flexhorns said:

Not sure why people say King was a late bloomer. I’ve been watching him in Longview and he’s been kicking ass from day 1. 

When was his first major offer? When where those of the other elite QBs?

24 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Also per Such he's probably going to visit the A&M pool party later this month

1 minute ago, Fud said:

When was his first major offer? When where those of the other elite QBs?

The only people saying late bloomer are the ags because it fits the narrative of why they didn't offer him till after they missed on everyone at the top of their board 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I wonder what they’ll say about him when he commits to Tennessee?

While that would give me a good chuckle, if I had to guess, he’s been surrounded by aggy commits and leans this week and I bet that tips the scales if he plans on committing prior to the season. 

35 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

6t6ay0a0gq731.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I really don't think the Johnny Wilson recruitment is worth following

His family wanting to move with him makes it more of a long shot imo. Nike has been setting up families for years. I realize we're a Nike school, but they have more direct ties and are generally a much dirtier program at the moment. 

Marvin Bagley's family/house story in the spoiler. It's not an exact comparison because shoe companies invest much more in individual basketball prospects, Bagley > Wilson, and because Nike probably won't be as directly involved with Oregon football as they are with AAU/CBB. I'm just offering it as another data point. At they very least the Oregon bagmen know what they're doing. 

Reveal hidden contents

Marvin Bagley Jr. and his wife filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in April 2008, during the Great Recession, listing their combined annual income at just over $44,000. Property records indicate the Bagley home was sold in 2011 at a trustee’s sale — typically a sign of a foreclosure.

Four years later, shortly after Nike’s sponsorship of the team became public, they left their working-class neighborhood in Phoenix for Southern California. In a tax filing, the Bagleys listed a home address in a gated subdivision in Northridge called Porter Ranch. Similarly sized homes in the vicinity typically sell for $750,000 to $1.5 million, said Jose Contreras, a Coldwell Banker real estate broker active in the area. Rents in the neighborhood range from $2,500 to $7,500 a month.

Neither the Bagleys nor Nike would offer any details about the team sponsorship or the family’s personal finances. Contacted via telephone and through the Duke University sports information department, the Bagleys “respectfully declined” to comment.

I've said it before so sorry to repeat myself, but if we didn't match for Ringo we're not going to match for Wilson

Looks like my company is looking to hire, trying to fill a specific niche of Californians looking to relocate to Austin, while having the last name Wilson.  

Salary and benefits are fluid.

IMG-0082.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If you can’t throw, don’t do the look in shit. Or opine about sports for a living. 

Most of the people who opine about sports for a living (the writers and reporters) do so specifically because they can’t throw or do anything else athletic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

bridge cage GIF

• Haha 1