Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

He's just been on the radar forever and mid-spring is a funny time to get an offer. I'm quite happy with it given the staff's focus on speed this year.

I know nothing of Achane other than watching a couple of clips. How are his grades? Any chance an improvement there spurred the offer? Agree that the timing is somewhat curious unless it's for this reason or to put a little pressure on Mookie....could also be that they just got to evaluate him in person recently. Spring workouts just started across the state, right?

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Rivals fluff piece about Ringo's trip to UGA. INB4 bEsT FoOtBaLl In tHe NaTiOn.

Hide contents

A lot of high-end prospects attended Georgia’s spring game last weekend and one of the top priorities there was five-star cornerback 

He had been to Athens before but the Scottsdale (Ariz.) Saguaro standout said it was important to get back there to keep building relationships. He did that and more.

“It was really good to see the spring game at Georgia,” Ringo said. “It was great to see coach Kirby (Smart) coach and the other coaches who would be coaching me if I were to go there. It was just great overall scenery.

“It felt pretty good to see the players I was with last time and to build more of a relationship with the coaches. It did feel like more like home for me and I’ll most definitely be taking an official there.”

The message from the coaching staff was clear and one that resonated with the five-star cornerback.

“They want me to come in and make an impact on the team my freshman year,” Ringo said. “I would have to come out and work for it but they want me to be a big part of their defense.

“It’s SEC football, it’s the best football in the nation and they always have players drafted into the league also. It’s very good and being able to be around other top-notch guys in my class, building that relationship and also seeing them at camps and competing with them. I liked it a lot, guys like Kendall Milton, Paris Johnson, that made it a lot better, too.”

So far, the Scottsdale Saguaro standout said he has planned official visits to Georgia and Texas, definitely two of the frontrunners in his recruitment. Other trips could happen but nothing has been finalized by Ringo yet.

It isn't mentioned here, but the one big thing that UGA can really beat us on (besides bagmen) is the draft. Since his first trip to Austin that has been his biggest hesitation with us. It's not looking like Boyd is going to help us out with it either. I still think we win out in the end. Hopefully Bryant Westbrook can help us out with the NFL pitch and Green/Cook look good this year.

William Jackson III?

8 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Reveal hidden contents

A lot of high-end prospects attended Georgia’s spring game last weekend and one of the top priorities there was five-star cornerback 

He had been to Athens before but the Scottsdale (Ariz.) Saguaro standout said it was important to get back there to keep building relationships. He did that and more.

“It was really good to see the spring game at Georgia,” Ringo said. “It was great to see coach Kirby (Smart) coach and the other coaches who would be coaching me if I were to go there. It was just great overall scenery.

“It felt pretty good to see the players I was with last time and to build more of a relationship with the coaches. It did feel like more like home for me and I’ll most definitely be taking an official there.”

The message from the coaching staff was clear and one that resonated with the five-star cornerback.

“They want me to come in and make an impact on the team my freshman year,” Ringo said. “I would have to come out and work for it but they want me to be a big part of their defense.

“It’s SEC football, it’s the best football in the nation and they always have players drafted into the league also. It’s very good and being able to be around other top-notch guys in my class, building that relationship and also seeing them at camps and competing with them. I liked it a lot, guys like Kendall Milton, Paris Johnson, that made it a lot better, too.”

So far, the Scottsdale Saguaro standout said he has planned official visits to Georgia and Texas, definitely two of the frontrunners in his recruitment. Other trips could happen but nothing has been finalized by Ringo yet.

It isn't mentioned here, but the one big thing that UGA can really beat us on (besides bagmen) is the draft. Since his first trip to Austin that has been his biggest hesitation with us. It's not looking like Boyd is going to help us out with it either. I still think we win out in the end. Hopefully Bryant Westbrook can help us out with the NFL pitch and Green/Cook look good this year.

Focus on the young men that have been recruited in the last 2 classes. Ask him if any of those young men have a chance to get drafted. Probably at least 5 of them. Don't focus on the young men that Coach Herman didn't recruit but the ones they did.  Also, where are you going to get better prepared for the league...facing SEC offenses or Big 12 offenses.

1 hour ago, realgreggym said:

Focus on the young men that have been recruited in the last 2 classes. Ask him if any of those young men have a chance to get drafted. Probably at least 5 of them. Don't focus on the young men that Coach Herman didn't recruit but the ones they did.  Also, where are you going to get better prepared for the league...facing SEC offenses or Big 12 offenses.

Chance to be drafted isn't good enough. We need guys drafted in the 1st and 2nd round. It's our weakest selling point right now towards recruits.

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Majors has a bad habit of letting guys into his chest way too easily. He can get away with it at the HS level, but when he faces elite HS DL/when he gets to college, guys will make him pay for it.

Thankfully, most of that can be fixed through hand work and added strength, both of which are easy to improve once he gets to UT. 

11 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Right now unfortunately OU has much better story re draft success on offensive side of ball. 

This draft lead up and last have been OU love fests. 

19 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Hide contents

UGa draft record is built on basically everything but the seconday: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Georgia_Bulldogs_in_the_NFL_Draft

If getting DB's drafted early is really important to him, he should cross Georgia off the list and replace with Washington. 

19 hours ago, texifornia said:

He's just been on the radar forever and mid-spring is a funny time to get an offer. I'm quite happy with it given the staff's focus on speed this year.

Anybody who watched the 6A playoffs last fall had to be impressed with Achane.  He's just a fucking playmaker.  He's who made their QB into a top recruit for a while.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

UGa draft record is built on basically everything but the seconday: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Georgia_Bulldogs_in_the_NFL_Draft

If getting DB's drafted early is really important to him, he should cross Georgia off the list and replace with Washington. 

DeAndre Baker has a good shot at the first round tonight

8 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

DeAndre Baker has a good shot at the first round tonight

So he'll be the first DB they've had drafted since the 5th round of 2015?  Awesome.

They haven't had a DB first-rounder since 2005. 

Edited by Beau Vine

The draft stuff and lack of talent development for UT the last ten years is something we'll have to deal with, but it's not too hard to counter. Oliver is about to go top 10 and they can tell recruits the glowing reviews scouts are giving guys like Sterns and Foster. It'll improve once our 2018 guys hit their third year, but regardless, it's not some insurmountable issue for us. 

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Who was drafted in the first round from Texas State or UTEP?

well I guess hernandez went at top of 2nd, 34th overall.  thought he squeezed in.  but marcus davenport went top 15. 

you should fucking know that, by the way.  you’re supposed to be omniscient. 

Edited by futureman

Mike Roach: Thoughts on Jake Majors after seeing him today

—Seeing Majors today confirmed what I pretty much knew about him. He's really smart, he's really technical and he's really mean. That said, he needs to add strength to be able to anchor against bigger defenders. I don't really worry about that with the strength program Yancy McKnight has in place. Once he adds the weight, he has the skill to be a mauler from the inside. I really like his upside at center because of his feet and intelligence.

—I love going to practices to observe what guys are doing when they aren't taking reps. Are they engaged? Are they helping out other teammates? Majors was doing all of that. When he wasn't taking a rep, he was coaching younger players on technique and preparation. He was keeping the guys in the offensive line unit accountable when they were going half-speed or missed an assignment. That kind of leadership is hard to instill in a guy, and Majors takes to it very naturally.

—His coaches raved about him. Prosper's head coach Brandon Schmidt said that Majors is the hardest working guy on the team, and he can count on him to do things the right way even when coaches aren't watching. Majors was used as an example of great technique throughout practice, but his coaches weren't afraid to rip into him if he missed something. Guys who can take that criticism in front of a team who knows they are the best players can gain trust from their coaches and instill a certain culture in the rest of the group.

—I think the combo of Logan Parr and Jake Majors can have an impact like Lyle Sendelein and Kasey Studdard. Both are nasty maulers with great work ethic and the leadership ability to keep a unit in line. I'm not sure if their talent will match that level yet, but these are guys that Herb Hand will be able to depend on from the moment they hit campus.

InsideTexas Recruiting Notebook - 4/25/19

By: Justin Wells and Ian Boyd

This week’s Recruiting Notebook focuses on defensive back targets for the Longhorns. Starting in Houston, then north on I-45 to Arlington, a quick stop for an underclassman in Austin, then back to Arizona for an elite safety. The Notebook travels well.

Bryson Washington, safety - CE King (2020)

How he fits at Texas: Washington is an exceptional athlete with a SPARQ score of 109.53 thanks to a 4.63 40, 4.13 shuttle, and 38.1" vertical leap. He's an ultra twitchy athlete who's already 6-foot-2, 190 and room to get bigger and stronger. What's extra exciting about him though is that he's very comfortable in coverage and in space, unlike many other big, fast athletes that do their best work around the box. You can drop Washington back deep and he'll excel at the chess games with the quarterback over shading coverage and matching routes. Texas could play him at either safety spot and use him in that way but field safety would be a really good fit and there's only so many guys that have the speed and feel to play so far off the ball well and have a high impact. - Ian Boyd

Coach says: Strengths - Good height for position with plenty of room to add weight. Long arms. Long strider who shows good lower body explosiveness on leaping. Tracks the ball well in the air and attacks the ball. Good soft hands and eye-hand coordination. Excellent straight line speed. Has very impressive recovery and downfield chase plays on his highlights. Pass coverage shows quarters, thirds and plays some nickel/box safety. Could grow into a LB before he’s done. Some impressive form tackling on film and distributes power from lower body through the tackle. Scored TDs on four of his five INTs and has a nose for the end zone. Obviously instinctive once he recognizes the play. Numerous special teams highlights in punt block and returns. Areas for Improvement/Concern - Frequently will guess on opponent highlights and relies on excellent recovery skill to make up for it when he’s burned. Looks much better at S than CB. Seems a little stiff in the hips. Loses speed on change of direction. Lateral agility appears average. Acceleration isn’t as fast as I’d expect based on his track times. Relative lack of film showing him in run support and discipline seems inconsistent. Definitely will need some time in S&C.

How this affects Texas: The UT staff has made it clear to Washington he’s a priority. Coach Naivar is doing great here with Bryson and his family. It’s a Texas-OU battle before October. And Washington is the versatile type that can play both safety spots or nickel. Texas needs this kid and he knows it. They want two in this class and the 6-foot-2 defensive back is a natural fit. He'll OV to Texas the weekend of June 21st then announce his decision on July 4th. - Justin Wells

Jahari Rogers - CB, Arlington High (2020)

How he fits at Texas: Rogers is a Y2k remix, a wiry super-athlete who's playing QB these days because when an athlete like this can throw at all the QB run game becomes an easy weapon for generating offense. Like Mykkele Thompson, Rogers is a burner with true 4.4 speed with easy fluidity as well to change directions and solid size at 6-foot. His obvious projection is to cornerback where he should have the quickness to learn to stick to even the better wideouts. The physical side and route-covering skill set will probably need time to develop but Texas has recruited well enough ahead of him to offer him that time. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - Athleticism is readily apparent on film. Trusted by his coaches to be a playmaker with the ball in his hands. Shows above average acceleration and good short area quickness/change of direction. Does not lose much speed on change of direction. Lower body appears coordinated and smooth. Has the athleticism to play on the island while his frame fills in. Areas for Improvement/Concern - The vast majority of his film is as at QB (admittedly effective as a runner) without many DB highlights. Top-end measured speed is good. Needs the obligatory 15-20 lbs of freshman muscle.

How this affects Texas: The Duke Thomas comparison seems adequate as Rogers has some real shake in his hips with great feet for the athlete with 20+ offers. He’s in the top tier group of Texas corner targets for 2020. UT wants two here but will take three if one is Kelee Ringo. When Jalen Kimber pledged to Georgia, the dominoes started to fall. Rogers will visit UT in late June. The OU legacy might end up in burnt orange. - JW

Lathan Ransom - S, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ) (2020)

How he fits at Texas: Ransom frequently plays as an overhang right now and he's very physical on the edge and pretty active in underneath zone. At 6-foot-2, 200 he's got a big frame and a physical style of play. He's a good athlete with ball skills but the direction of his frame combined with his physical play and ability to scrape laterally and strike ball-carriers suggests he's probably a linebacker down the line. Moving inside his quickness will be a real plus and he'll be able to play closer to the ball where some of his disruptive skills can be leveraged. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - Good height with room to add bulk. Shows consistent athleticism with a pretty long stride. Shows both backpedal and stutter techniques. Stays in phase with receivers showing very little required effort to do so. Does not commit his hips too early and flips them smoothly on change of direction. Great short area agility and what looks like above average top-end speed. Very good with assignment-based football and shows good discipline as he attacks the run fit and pass pattern alike. Has a nice highlight interception where he is actually the defender in conflict! Equally representative film as a corner and safety. Looks very comfortable with zone or man concept at either position. Tremendous range for the safety position. Breaks on the ball quickly with pass breakups looking as good as his interceptions. Tracks the ball well and doesn’t panic after getting turned around. Soft hands and looks to score on every interception. Looks like a physical hitter. Suspect he will be a special teams contributor early on. Opponents highlights are always away from him. Areas for Improvement - Leads with the head too often. Several highlights against big TEs show him flailing at a tackle either without the commitment or without a plan.

How this affects Texas: With the staff auditioning prospects for the Raising Arizona sequel, Ransom is another elite talent that UT identified out-of-state. Ohio State might be the leader, and he’ll have taken officials to OU and LSU by next Monday. Naivar has a good start here, and Ransom is set to see Austin in May, and once that happens, we’ll get a good sense where the Horns stand. - JW

Latrell McCutchin - CB, Austin LBJ (2021)

How he fits at Texas: McCutchin will probably be the Anthony Cook of the 2021 class, he's already got an incredible feel for playing corner in quarters or man coverage and he closes on the ball with violence. He has great size for the position at 6-foot, 180, as a sophomore and some ball skills. His upside over the next few years as he hones his technique and grows bigger and stronger could be impressive and he'll be the type to get on the field sooner than later. He can play either corner position long-term. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - Slender and tall for a sophomore. Could be a monster physically before college leading to a switch to safety. Fairly good in his backpedal. Very instinctive and quick to diagnose plays. Shows a good amount of man and zone coverage on film. Uses leverage well and shows some degree of polish in man coverage skills. Quick out of his break. Locates the ball well and disrupts the receiver very well. Hands seem reasonably sure in catching the ball. Covers a lot of ground and very aggressive as a downhill player. More than willing tackler and aggressive in the run game. Has a potentially high ceiling if he's this good as a sophomore. Areas for Improvement - Suspect his measured times might be just “average” based on the film. Lower body explosiveness is not evident with limited leaping ability. Doesn’t consistently translate lower body strength into tackling power. Tackling form can be sloppy at times.

How this affects Texas: One of the state’s top prospects for 2021, the local athlete excels on the island. UT’s status with McCutchin improves by the day. He'll likely be the top cover corner in-state and UT is treating the local kid as such. He's been on campus plenty, and recently at the spring game, so the relationship is building, but this has a ways to go. - JW

Edited by satyanash

Majors has a bad habit of letting guys into his chest way too easily. He can get away with it at the HS level, but when he faces elite HS DL/when he gets to college, guys will make him pay for it. Thankfully, most of that can be fixed through hand work and added strength, both of which are easy to improve once he gets to UT.  

I was about to say- It’s really a function of technique and strength not athleticism. I’ve only seen a few plays but he is trying to bench press defenders rather than coming up with his hands and engaging at the bottom of the breast plate as move to gain leverage.   As such he is using less core and posterior chain and more chest and arms. Those muscles are less powerful.

I’m not that worried about it.

If he was getting beat at the hip I’d be more concerned.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Huh. That makes aggy the school with the most 1st rounders without winning a title. How fitting.

Plus, aren't there like a dozen titles below them?  aggy officially wins the "least with the most" title and that belongs on Krogers wall. 

5 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I was about to say- It’s really a function of technique and strength not athleticism. I’ve only seen a few plays but he is trying to bench press defenders rather than coming up with his hands and engaging at the bottom of the breast plate as move to gain leverage.   As such he is using less core and posterior chain and more chest and arms. Those muscles are less powerful.

I’m not that worried about it.

If he was getting beat at the hip I’d be more concerned.

Yeah. I’m not too concerned about it, becuase technique and strength are the easiest things to fix when he gets to campus, but it would be nice to see him make some strides in his technique during his senior year. He lets his hands get way too lazy too often.

article from The Athletic on Justin Flowe linked here:

https://write.as/s40xhq0xu1p5d.md

Really just like 3000 words on a review of him. interesting if you haven't read about him before...written by The Athletic's USC beat guy

Not much about Texas or where he is headed, this is the only part that specifically mentions Texas in fact:

Spoiler

Just four days earlier, Nick Saban, while wrapping up another No. 1 recruiting class for Alabama, had made sure to call Flowe — on the morning of National Signing Day. Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables did the same. USC has floated the possibility of giving Flowe the iconic jersey No. 55. Texas, Oklahoma, Florida and Oregon are among the nearly four dozen programs that have offered him a scholarship.

Flowe, a 6-foot-2, 225-pound junior from Upland (Calif.) High, isn’t only the Class of 2020’s consensus top-rated linebacker, he’s the best in a decade. No inside linebacker has been rated higher than Flowe by 247Sports since Ernie Sims in 2003.

All the Rage: What makes 2020 recruit Justin Flowe the best linebacker in a generation

https://theathletic.com/943600/2019/04/25/college-football-recruiting-2020-justin-flowe-linebacker/

Edited by NoName