Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Card is gonna be a qb all the way imo. He reminds me of Chase Daniel, who played inside wr his sophomore year at SLC before moving to QB. Card would probably go play QB at Missouri or something if Texas wants him to play anything else

From TFB: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-wednesday-may-2nd/

Coaches Visit Notes

– Texas just offered Lake Travis’ incoming 2020 QB Hudson Card who I have been told is just a ridiculous athlete. It’ll be interesting how they play this recruitment given they are also heavily recruiting the highly touted California QB Bryce Young, but Texas is standing pretty here at this point despite him also having offers from Ohio State and Alabama.

– Naivar stopped in Duncanville to see 4-star 2020 safety Chris Thompson. Thompson is currently pretty high on Texas after Texas did a good job of fending off some early push back from the Aggies. Getting a good start in 2020 with Darius Snow and Chris Thompson would be great for Texas’ chances of landing a top class again, and Naivar is killing it there. – (Will)

Edited by Machinator

IT on Troy Omeire

Troy Omeire, WR - Fort Bend Austin (2020)
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: I was able to pick Omeire out quickly for how smoothly he was running his routes. Considering it was early sophomore film, that's pretty impressive. Many of the combos and routes he ran are also staples in the Tom Herman offense, which is yet another plus. Omeire probably fits best on the outside and could play either X or Z but with his size and versatility he'd probably be the X guy for his class, using his impressive command of the route tree to get open whenever he faced a 1-on-1 matchup. - IB

Coach Says:
 Strengths - A tall athlete with room to add plenty of bulk. Gets off the line smoothly and fights the press pretty well. Has a long stride with deceiving straight-line speed. Has a fairly diverse route tree in his repertoire. Closes the cushion on the corner quickly. Smooth route runner despite being only a sophomore. Tracks the ball well and adjusts well to the poor throw. Catches the ball away from his body and secures it quickly. Nice job in the scramble drill. Has subtle set up moves and knows how to get open. Productive after the catch with at least a few finesse moves and able to move through minor contact. Lines up at multiple positions but most likely an X-receiver. This could end up being a tight end depending on how he keeps growing. Scored one TD every 4.7 catches. Areas for Improvement / Concern - Would like to see more lower body explosiveness. Acceleration is modest. Seems to decelerate with change of direction but footage is limited as many changes of direction were designed to squat in a zone.

How this affects Texas: I first noticed Omeire earlier in the year watching Hudls. Then I witnessed the 6-foot-3, 205-pound pass-catcher at the Opening Regional Houston and was hooked. The budding in-state crop of WRs for 2020 are legit and Troy is one of the best. Texas offered early and coach Meekins is building a great relationship. If Texas takes 3-4 in 2020, he's one to watch this fall. - JW

IT

On Bryce Young, the nation's top dual-threat signal-caller from California, it was another opportunity to see the sights and sounds of the ATX. It was his third trip, and the 5-star from Mater Dei can see himself fitting in the Texas offense. He also visited Norman on Saturday, checking out the Sooners. I feel as if USC leads here, but for a kid that won't sign for two years, UT is building the relationship. 

MALIK HORNSBY AND THE RANGE

The 2020 quarterback from Austin High in Houston was going to blow up with offers at some point, sooner or later. Well, it’s sooner. 

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound dual-threat is enjoying the fruits of his labor. Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi State offered last week, and Texas is in pursuit. 

“Yes, I saw (Texas OC) coach Beck today,” said Hornsby, after his practice last week. “Strongly considering Texas, yes, and I’ve been up (Austin) a couple of times too. I enjoyed it.”

Hornsby hopes to make UT's summer camp in June and possibly take some more visits. The key here is that Texas has been on him for months now and that foundation is laid. 

Don't be surprised if he's at 20+ offers before he takes a junior snap. 

LANGSTON ANDERSON

Texas has always known about Midlothian Heritage WR Langston Anderson, and at 6-foot-3 and growing, UT is a little more than interested. 

“I am hearing more from them,” said Langston. “(Texas) really likes me. Ever since they have stopped by and saw me, we’ve spoke more. I was super pumped to see them last week and even more excited after seeing me in person do routes and stuff.”

Anderson has all the tools, but didn't have the junior year he desired. He's putting in work this offseason to make sure his senior campaign turns heads. 

“Ole Miss, Texas Tech and Nebraska," said Anderson, on schools that stand out. "Also Arizona. Those stick out as far as offers right now and Illinois.”

What about a Texas offer? 

“I’ll put out a Top 10 this summer,” Langston explains. “And hopefully I have all the offers I want by then.”

Texas could be one.

IT

BRYCE YOUNG: The Sequel

The nation's top dual-threat quarterback was back in Austin on Sunday. And like the two previous trips, it was on his own dime. At 6-foot, 170, he's in the Greg Ward Jr. mold, except more polished at this stage and a much bigger arm. That fits Texas like a glove. 

“I made it into Austin yesterday,” said Young, 2020 signal-caller from Santa Ana, CA (Mater Dei). “It was really good. Got to meet up with coach Herman, see more of the school, academics, and dorm side, and got to see a lot of film with coach Beck.”

That film session underlines one of UT's greatest sells -- the fit.. He's a natural fit in Herman's offense and he knows it. 

“I really like the tempo and schemes that (Texas) ran,” Young said. “It suits me.”

USC remains the team to beat here, but Texas isn't far behind. His offer list continues to grow - Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Washington are just a few of the 20+ invitations. This battle should go well into the summer ahead of his decision.

STAYING OUT WEST

Recently Texas extended an offer to the nation's #2 2020 running back, Clovis (CA) product Kendall Milton.

Per the usual I watch a player's Hudl before looking him up. After watching tape I was shocked to learn Milton is 6-2, 210 pounds. Shades of Joe Mixon (inside the lines) sprang to mind.

UT already looks really good for North Shore's Zachary Evans, the nation's #1 running back, the staff is determined to land a generational running back in the next class. 

We caught up with his father, Chris, to discuss the offer and recruiting in general. 

On Texas interest:
"We have been talking to Texas for a couple of days but once we talked to the running back coach, he sealed the deal. I was highly impressed with our conversation today."

Go on:
"Honestly, I felt like I was talking to another father who just had influence in this process. I also loved how he talked to about life beyond football without us prompting it. It honestly was just a very comfortable conversation without the sales pitch. There's only a couple of coaches that I truly felt a connection with even over the phone and he was definitely one of them."

Chances for a visit:
"We definitely will make our way down there."

It's obvious that Stan Drayton has done a wonderful job of getting UT's foot in the door. 

Something I mentioned long ago is that Fresno area kids are somewhat mercenary in where they end up. This is why you see kids from that area end up in places like Fresno's kindred spirit, Norman. 

The Fresno area has put out too many ballers to list. If you want to attack the West Coast, as Herman does, it needs to stay on the itinerary.

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Does Lake Travis have a weight room?

162 is gonna have to change for sure ...   but I think he's just one of those guys at this age that doesn't hold weight yet. 

oh, and LT does indeed have a weight room. it's ridiculous. 

weightroomwhoa.jpg

From TFB: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-wednesday-may-9th/

– Spoke with Malik James, founder of Premium Sports 7v7 in California about 2020’s number one dual threat quarterback, Bryce Young’s (Santa Ana, CA) visit to OU and Texas this past weekend.

We hope to have a full update from Young or a family member, shortly.

For now, Malik mentioned some of the things about both programs that are standing out to Bryce.

On OU: Lincoln Riley is an incredible coach but an even better person. Then you add in being in the Big 12 which is a passing league, that helps. Bryce is a dual threat guy but he’s  pass first guy.

On Texas: A pipeline is being established with DeGabriel [Floyd] and we know coach Herman is going to throw the ball. Plus they’re hot on the recruiting trail. Top three finish last year and potentially top two this year.

Bottom line is, both out of state schools have a real shot here.

Again, more on Bryce later. – (Super K)

12 minutes ago, golfclap said:

162 is gonna have to change for sure ...   but I think he's just one of those guys at this age that doesn't hold weight yet. 

oh, and LT does indeed have a weight room. it's ridiculous. 

weightroomwhoa.jpg

Yea I was 15lbs lighter going in to JR year and graduated ~185 while on a Nancy soccer weight room regimen. Bet this kid winds up close to 200

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

they run a pro offense, correct? not sure Young fits that type of scheme as well as DJ but idk who they prefer.

The assumption was Ukelele because of their style of offense until a 247 West Coast guy CB'd Young to USC a week or two ago 

11 minutes ago, TrojanPrincess said:

Ask @closetojumping, he's the expert on SoCal recruiting.   

I merely stated that Texas leads for Smith, irrespective of whatever the USC honks running their 24/7 site and Rivals sites are saying. I stated as much because I knew as much. I don't have anything to offer on Young at the moment. 

You don't have to be a baby about a differing position. You argue your points and I'll argue mine, and we can tally up the results at the end. Being passive aggressive and whiny accomplishes nothing. You don't get handed deference, you earn it. Fuck off if you want something for nothing. I'll put my info up against yours when I have it every day of the week. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 1:18 PM, Fud said:

We need USC to take Ukelele so that they don't take Young 

Not even hearing Young is being pursued heavily, great player, but not the main guy they’re going for.  Right now, there is so much hype about JT Daniels - who reclassified from the 2019 class to 2018, it’s going to be really hard to draw in a top QB  if JT in fact turns out to start as a true freshman with a chance to start for three years.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/varsity-blues-j-t-daniels-calling-high-school-career-early-to-compete-for-usc-starting-job/

3 minutes ago, TrojanPrincess said:

Not even hearing Young is being pursued heavily, great player, but not the main guy they’re going for.  Right now, there is so much hype about JT Daniels - who reclassified from the 2019 class to 2018, it’s going to be really hard to draw in a top QB  if JT in fact turns out to start as a true freshman with a chance to start for three years.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/varsity-blues-j-t-daniels-calling-high-school-career-early-to-compete-for-usc-starting-job/

Seems like that should be a bigger issue for 2019 QB recruiting. If Daniels is a three year guy, then the 2020 QB take can redshirt and then potentially start as a redshirt freshman in 2021. 

Hopefully Young is higher on Texas than OU. 

22 minutes ago, Fud said:

Seems like that should be a bigger issue for 2019 QB recruiting. If Daniels is a three year guy, then the 2020 QB take can redshirt and then potentially start as a redshirt freshman in 2021. 

Hopefully Young is higher on Texas than OU. 

DJ Uiagalelei is the top guy, only concern again, is he’s a highly ranked baseball prospect.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:42 AM, Longhorn94 said:

Results from the Dallas Opening:

Hudson Card     6'2     162 lbs     4.79     4.28     35.8 

Bryce Young     6'0     176 lbs                   4.34

Can't really compare the two one is a qb and the other a wr

I don’t know how I caught this alert so fast as I am in Milan right now but funny how that works. We do have the resident HP expert lurking around here sometimes so maybe he will chime in. I can certainly pop over for a game this fall and ask around for any scoop in town. Nothing to report at the moment, other than lots of pasta and gelato and hand waving.

19 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Per E.J. Holland: "Texas will host a pair of 2020 offensive linemen in Fort Bend Hightower's Smart Chibuzo, who holds a Nebraska offer, and Fort Bend Kempner's Akinola Ogunbiyi, who has an offer from Texas A&M."

The latter has visited Texas previously (I believe he projects to OG, if I'm not mistaken). When is this visit taking place?