2019 Open Championship @ Royal Portrush

Wally Fairway

Golf Channel last night was running 1/2 hour segments about prior events - I was switching around when the channel guide said Tony Jacklin 1969 and I was about to change the channel when much to my surprise it was actually Jordan Speith 2017. 
Catch it if you can it is a fun journey and fairly well edited into a 30 minute feature.

Recent odds for picking the winner

Brooks Koepka 6-1
Rory McIlroy 10-1
Tiger Woods 12-1
Dustin Johnson 12-1
Justin Rose 16-1
Jordan Spieth 20-1
Francesco Molinari 20-1
Jon Rahm 20-1
Rickie Fowler 25-1
Xander Schauffele 25-1
Patrick Cantlay 25-1
Tommy Fleetwood 25-1
Justin Thomas 30-1
Jason Day 30-1
Henrik Stenson 30-1
Adam Scott 30-1
Louis Oosthuizen 40-1
Matt Kuchar 40-1
Bryson DeChambeau 40-1
Sergio Garcia 50-1
Paul Casey 50-1
Tony Finau 50-1
Graeme McDowell 50-1
Phil Mickelson 50-1
Gary Woodland 50-1
Matt Wallace 50-1

I think this is my favorite event - because I like watching it early in the morning on Thur/Fri/Sat; and of course links golf (which it is this year with Royal Portrush being right on the ocean)

Also check out he Scottish Open to see who is playing there as a warm up this week (click on the WR to sort the leaderboard in OWGR order - aka who you know)
http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2019/tournamentid=2019060/leaderboard/index.html#/leaderboard

Pick 3 tee times/groups -

Zero points for players who miss the cut
5 points for making the cut
10 points for low round on any day
Winner gets 150 points, 2nd place gets 125 for 2nd place, 110 for 3rd place, 100 for 4th, 90 for top ten - each position below 10th is a reduction in points.

Let's see how that works out, any interest?

The R&A come up with an answer to players grandstopping (aiming for the grand stands and a free drop)

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/07/15/2019-british-open-grandstopping-18th-green-drop-zone/

The 18th at Royal Portrush is a devilish closing hole. A 474-yard par-4 with a wickedly tight fairway, out of bounds long, and thick gorse rough throughout.

Players can opt for that strategy, but when they do, they’ll be rewarded with a free drop into one of the thickest, gnarliest patches of rough on the entire course. They’ll essentially be dropping their ball into a bush, with their only goal to hack it out a few feet forward.

It’s not just the obviously terrible lie, though. It’s that it’s on the downslope of a hill, with the green running away from you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My three groups are:

Molinari/DeChabeau/Scott

Koepka/Oosthuizen/Sharma

Rahm/Cantlay/Kuchar

I wanted to pick JT & Fleetwood, but Thorbjorn is a outlier in that group; I know same could be said for Sharma, but Koepka & Oosty are a couple of my top picks to have a shot at winning it all. I would be surprised if Koepka, Oosty, Molinari and Rahm are in the top10, hell even 4

NBCSports App for feature groups coverage...

ROUND #1  FEATURE GROUPS

• Molinari, DeChambeau, Scott (3:45am cst)
  • Fowler, Kisner, Matsuyama  (4:15am cst)
  • Johnson, Day, Bradley   (8:45am cst)
  • Woods, Wallace, Reed     (9:00am cst)

The first round of the British Open begins at 1:35 a.m. ET on Thursday, but there are still plenty of ways for you to catch all of the action either on TV or via streaming.

The Golf Channel broadcast begins at 1:30 a.m. ET on Thursday — both on TV and your streaming device — and other streaming options begin later in the day.

Much of the coverage will focus around Tiger Woods, who is grouped with Patrick Reed and Matt Wallace. That trio tees off at 10:10 a.m. ET on Thursday and 5:09 a.m. ET on Friday.

For the complete TV schedule and streaming guide for the Open Championship, see below.

British Open 2019 TV schedule (ET)

Thursday: 1:30 a.m.-4 p.m. (Golf Channel)
Friday: 1:30 a.m.-4 p.m. (Golf Channel)
Saturday: 5-7 a.m. (Golf Channel), 7 a.m.-3 p.m. (NBC)
Sunday: 4-7 a.m. (Golf Channel), 7 a.m.-2 p.m. (NBC)

British Open 2019 Streaming Schedule (ET)

All feeds can be viewed via GolfChannel.com, the Golf Channel App, NBC Sports App, NBC Sports connected devices, and TheOpen.com.

Thursday, July 18
First Round TV Broadcast: 1:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
Early Featured Group: 4-9 a.m.
3 Hole Channel: 4 a.m.-2 p.m.
Late Featured Group: 9 a.m.-3 p.m.

Friday, July 19
Second Round TV Broadcast: 1:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
Early Featured Group: 4-9 a.m.
3 Hole Channel: 4 a.m.-2 p.m.
Late Featured Group: 9 a.m.-3 p.m.

Saturday, July 20
Third Round TV Broadcast (Golf Channel): 5-7 a.m.
Early Featured Group: 5-9:30 a.m.
3 Hole Channel: 5 a.m.-1 p.m.
Third Round TV Broadcast (NBC): 7 a.m.-3 p.m.
Late Featured Group: 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m.

Sunday, July 21
Final Round TV Broadcast (Golf Channel): 4-7 a.m
Early Featured Group: 5-9:30 a.m.
3 Hole Channel: 5 a.m.-12 p.m.
Final Round TV Broadcast (NBC): 7 a.m.-2 p.m.
Late Featured Group: 9 a.m.-1 p.m.on

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/07/16/how-to-watch-british-open-tv-schedule-streaming-options/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Wow - Rory looking to prove the old adage that you can't win a major the first 2 days, but you can lose them, now at +5 (6)

Others with early struggles - Phil at +3 (15), Matsuyama +2 (6), Poulter +2 (10).

but unless the afternoon wave goes low even par after today will have a shot a making the cut, which I'd guess could be around -1 (depending on tomorrow's weather)

Kisner having a strong front 9 is -4 after 8 holes.  But now in big trouble on #9

Dylan Frittelli 🤘is also -4 thru 16 holes...

Webb Simpson -4 as well thru 17

Lowry -4 nice 1st Rd score

Edited by LTtxfan
Kisner F'd up on #9 😬

13 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Holy shit, did David Duvall really shoot a 13 on one hole today? 

Thanks David. Now then, before I get back to business, a word on David Duval. You may remember his eight at the 5th. Well, he’s followed that up with a 13 (!) at 7. Details are a little sketchy, but it would seem he ended up hitting such a bad provisional off the tee that a second was required ... and then he played the wrong one. For a while, he was reported to have run up 15 on the hole, but that’s been revised down by the match referee. Just a octuple bogey, then! By way of comparison, the biggest number on Maurice Flitcroft’s infamous card of 121 in the 1976 qualifiers was a 12 (though to be fair, there was a question mark beside that one). Anyway, the former champ has since dropped another couple of strokes, and is currently +13 through 10. Conclusive proof, if you required it, that 2001 is an awfully long time ago.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

One tourney doesn’t tell the story but I can’t for the life of me understand why so many on here would take Rory over Koepka. That is a poor choice. 

Had a friend yelling at me that this tourney would be all about stroke gained from the tee so Rory is a lock. While I know that strokes gained takes fairway accuracy into account, at the open fairway accuracy is the most important factor in my opinion and Rory isn’t top 10 in that. 

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

Thanks David. Now then, before I get back to business, a word on David Duval. You may remember his eight at the 5th. Well, he’s followed that up with a 13 (!) at 7. Details are a little sketchy, but it would seem he ended up hitting such a bad provisional off the tee that a second was required ... and then he played the wrong one. For a while, he was reported to have run up 15 on the hole, but that’s been revised down by the match referee. Just a octuple bogey, then! By way of comparison, the biggest number on Maurice Flitcroft’s infamous card of 121 in the 1976 qualifiers was a 12 (though to be fair, there was a question mark beside that one). Anyway, the former champ has since dropped another couple of strokes, and is currently +13 through 10. Conclusive proof, if you required it, that 2001 is an awfully long time ago.

19 over. not bad with a 13 on your card......

Your standard: 2 birdies, 7 pars, 6 bogies, triple, quad, and octuple. 

Fairways hit- 23% (current average 62%)

Edited by JimmyHoffa

this course looks incredible. all the players love it from what i've seen and heard.  nobody has destroyed the course.  leader is still at -4.

winning score should be in the single digits (i'll say -7).  i hope the wind kicks up and Sunday is just a circus with a dozen guys having a chance.

Edited by Jive Turkey

10 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

this course looks incredible. all the players love it from what i've seen and heard.  nobody has destroyed the course.  leader is still at -4.

winning score should be in the single digits (i'll say -7).  i hope the wind kicks up and Sunday is just a circus with a dozen guys having a chance.

Me too

21 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Am I the only one that looks at the camera shots of the course and wonder just how many lost balls are there under all that rough?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Kopeka is completely ridiculous

he really is.  how he can be just an average golfer during regular PGA tour stops and then be at the top of the leaderboard at every major.  it's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  i don't know how people explain it.  he's clearly an incredible talent.  he should win 3 or 4 PGA tour events a year, but he doesn't.  just majors.

7 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

he really is.  how he can be just an average golfer during regular PGA tour stops and then be at the top of the leaderboard at every major.  it's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  i don't know how people explain it.  he's clearly an incredible talent.  he should win 3 or 4 PGA tour events a year, but he doesn't.  just majors.

Quick, tell me who won the Heritage Classic last year.   Who won the Greater Greensboro Open last year?  Now tell me who won the U.S. Open and the PGA Championship last year.  He hunts the big game.  He throws the ordinary tournaments back.

8 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Quick, tell me who won the Heritage Classic last year.   Who won the Greater Greensboro Open last year?  Now tell me who won the U.S. Open and the PGA Championship last year.  He hunts the big game.  He throws the ordinary tournaments back.

This is bullshit and you know it. He doesn't compete at the players, the memorial, the WGC's, the tour championship, any of the Fedex playoff events. 

Trying to act like golf consists of 4 tournaments is nonsense. Golf's all time greats win, and they win a lot. 

32 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

He was on Jim Rome recently and he said he doesn't practice during the week for regular tournaments, only when he's getting ready for a major.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimrome/status/1151584241353781248

Edited by Sandman

9 minutes ago, housious said:

This is bullshit and you know it. He doesn't compete at the players, the memorial, the WGC's, the tour championship, any of the Fedex playoff events. 

Trying to act like golf consists of 4 tournaments is nonsense. Golf's all time greats win, and they win a lot. 

Dustin Johnson has won 20 tournaments in his career.  How many people can name any of them other than the 2016 U.S. Open?  It's one thing to be Andy North and win two majors out of three career wins.  It's another if you win fifteen times in your career and ten of them are majors.  That's the pace Koepka is on.   If he does that for his career no one is going to care whether he won other tournaments besides majors or not.

8 minutes ago, housious said:

This is why I personally think he could win 10 majors and not sniff the air that Tiger and Jack breathe.  A coworker told me today that Koepka was the closest to tiger we have seen and I told him that Brooks was about as close to tiger as pluto is to the sun.  He is a great talent, no doubt, but he doesn't and will never belong in the same book as Tiger and Jack if he doesn't take the whole season seriously.

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

Dustin Johnson has won 20 tournaments in his career.  How many people can name any of them other than the 2016 U.S. Open?  It's one thing to be Andy North and win two majors out of three career wins.  It's another if you win fifteen times in your career and ten of them are majors.  That's the pace Koepka is on.   If he does that for his career no one is going to care whether he won other tournaments besides majors or not.

This will get him remembered by the serious golf fans and maybe some casual fans but nothing like being known by everyone like Jack and Tiger and Arnold.  In 40 years when commentators at the masters say "this young kid reminds me of Brooks Koepka with his power" most fans will say "who the hell is that?" 

If Brooks would go out and dominate weekly like he does on the big fish then he could absolutely be a legend known by everyone.  Being a legend is winning all the time, that's why a guy like DJ won't be legendary.  He doesn't win the big ones and the smaller ones.

3 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

the odds of Koepka keeping that pace are slim to none.  he's on an incredible streak, but the odds of winning a major or two a year for the next several years are minuscule.  there's just too many good golfers out there.  if his goal is to be one of the all-time greats, he needs to bolster his resume.  all the greats want to win the majors.  but they also just want to win, which is why the guys with the most majors also have lots of other victories.

3 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Meanwhile Tiger is telling Rory to hold my Guiness.

His presser yesterday and the interview with Phil have me thinking that both tiger and Phil have realized they aren't going to compete ever again except for at one or two events each year for the next 2-3 years.  They're old and broken.  Phil looks like he is dying with the weight loss.  Kind of sad to see both of them "just happy to be here" rather than "I want to win this thing."

Billy Casper-51 PGA wins, 3 majors

Gary Player-24 PGA wins, 9 majors

Lee Trevino-29 PGA wins, 6 majors

Lloyd Mangrum-36 PGA wins, 1 major

Among those four who are considered to be the best two?  The ones with the most PGA tour wins or the ones with the most majors?

With the money available now it's easy for a guy with koepka's talent to just focus on majors and play in whatever the minimum is now to keep your card. 

It wasn't that long ago Norman was the first player in history to win a million dollars in a year. It wasn't that much later he took the all time money lead over tom kite at like 8 million. 

Billy fucking horshel won 10 million in a month a couple years ago. 

That being said, you would think talent alone would translate into some regular wins for koepka. 

It has to be tough once you've been paid, though. What have Rory or spieth done since signing their huge deals?

16 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Billy Casper-51 PGA wins, 3 majors

Gary Player-24 PGA wins, 9 majors

Lee Trevino-29 PGA wins, 6 majors

Lloyd Mangrum-36 PGA wins, 1 major

Among those four who are considered to be the best two?  The ones with the most PGA tour wins or the ones with the most majors?

Tom Brady has caught 100% of his targets and averages 22 yards per catch. You going to mark him down as one of the all time best deep threats? 

There is a lot more to the story. If brooks wins 10 non-major events in a 20 year career and wins 8 majors he won’t transcend his generation of golf fans. 

Edited by Jhawk