Tell Me About Mike Pence

Hugo Stiglitz

The other day, a friend of mine said if we get rid of Trump then we'll get Mike Pence and that will be worse. I'm not so sure. Maybe in the short term, but If you're looking at the long game of getting a Dem in the WH in 2020, I think between the two, a Dem could easily beat Pence in 2020.

2 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

The other day, a friend of mine said if we get rid of Trump then we'll get Mike Pence and that will be worse. I'm not so sure. Maybe in the short term, but If you're looking at the long game of getting a Dem in the WH in 2020, I think between the two, a Dem could easily beat Pence in 2020.

Pence is an ideologue who has terrible backwards ideals. That differs from Trump who has no convictions about anything at all.  I'd rather have a man of principles in power even if I disagree with those principles.  Pence won't do anything that can't be undone, he'd restore a sense of dignity to the office, and he wouldn't start trade wars or shooting wars.

Neither will win in 2020, but a Pence administration wouldn't try to fuck up free elections in 2020.  A Trump admin would.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 5 weeks later...

He's a Creationist. To the House of Representatives, July 11, 2002:

From the Congressional Record Online through the Government Publishing Office [www.gpo.gov]

THEORY OF THE ORIGIN OF MAN

The SPEAKER pro tempore (Mr. Jeff Miller of Florida). Under a  previous order of the House, the gentleman from Indiana (Mr. Pence) is recognized for 5 minutes.

Mr. PENCE. Mr. Speaker, I have always been interested in origins. Even though my training is in the law and in history, it has ever been an avocation of mine to contemplate and to study the origins of man and of life here on Earth. 

Many theories of origins have been propounded throughout our Nation's history. In 1859, a sincere biologist returned from the Galapagos Islands and wrote a book entitled ``The Origins of Species,'' in which Charles Darwin offered a theory of the origin of species which we have come to know as evolution. Charles Darwin never thought of evolution as anything other than a theory. He hoped that some day it would be proven by the fossil record but did not live to see that, nor have we.

In 1925 in the famous Scopes Monkey Trial, this theory made its way through litigation into the classrooms of America, and we have all seen the consequences over the last 77 years: evolution not taught as a sincere theory of a biologist, but rather, Mr. Speaker, taught as fact. Unless anyone listening in would doubt that, we can all see in our mind's eye that grade school classroom that we all grew up in with the linear depiction of evolution just above the chalkboard. There is the monkey crawling on the grass. There is the Neanderthal dragging his knuckles and then there is Mel Gibson standing in all of his glory. 

It is what we have been taught, that man proceeded and evolved along linear lines. But now comes a new find by paleontologists. In the newspapers all across America, a new study in ``Nature'' magazine, 6- to 7-million-year-old skull has been unearthed, the Toumai skull and it suggests that human evolution was actually, according to a new theory, human evolution was taking place, and I am quoting now, ``all across Africa and the Earth,'' and the Earth was once truly, and I quote, ``a planet of the apes on which nature was experimenting with many human- like creatures.''

Paleontologists are excited about this, Mr. Speaker. But no one is pointing out that the textbooks will need to be changed because the old theory of evolution taught for 77 years in the classrooms of America as fact is suddenly replaced by a new theory, or I hasten to add, I am sure we will be told a new fact.

The truth is it always was a theory, Mr. Speaker. And now that we have recognized evolution as a theory, I would simply and humbly ask, can we teach it as such and can we also consider teaching other theories of the origin of species? Like the theory that was believed in by every signer of the Declaration of Independence. Every signer of the Declaration of Independence believed that men and women were created and were endowed by that same Creator with certain unalienable rights. The Bible tells us that God created man in his own imagine, male and female. He created them. And I believe that, Mr. Speaker.

I believe that God created the known universe, the Earth and everything in it, including man. And I also believe that someday scientists will come to see that only the theory of intelligent design provides even a remotely rationale explanation for the known universe. But until that day comes, and I have no fear of science, I believe that the more we study the science, the more the truth of faith will become apparent. I would just humbly ask as new theories of evolution find their ways into the newspapers and into the textbooks, let us demand that educators around America teach evolution not as fact, but as theory, and an interesting theory to boot. But let us also bring into the minds of all of our children all of the theories about the unknowable that some bright day in the future through science and perhaps through faith we will find the truth from whence we come.

https://www.congress.gov/congressional-record/2002/7/11/house-section/article/h4527-1

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm so tired of the phrase "rule of law."  So meaningless.

It’s become a proxy for “using the power of the state to be a dick to people I don’t like.” Which is kinda the opposite of “an objective system of order that applies to all and provides a fair process.”

the term is one of many to die under this regime.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s become a proxy for “using the power of the state to be a dick to people I don’t like.” Which is kinda the opposite of “an objective system of order that applies to all and provides a fair process.”

the term is one of many to die under this regime.

It's been that way for some people in this country for a long, long time.

Two people who would certainly be as bad or possibly worse than Trump as President: Ted Cruz and Mike Pence.  Religious fanatics shouldn’t hold high office in the US.  Particularly fake Christian religious fanatics. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

My wife has heard on multiple occasions that he's an asshole (from me and someone who actually knows him)

a friend of mine met with him recently with several other business folk to discuss the tariffs.  my friend said he was very short, socially awkward, and an asshole. 

Edited by futureman

He hates the thought of sucking dicks so much that he’s willing to pass just about any law that will make him think less about sucking dicks and more importantly will prove to everyone he knows that he has never even thought about sucking a dick and never will suck a dick even if he sometime might accidentally think about it. 

Staring intently at trump helps him on this important issue.

11 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

He hates the thought of sucking dicks so much that he’s willing to pass just about any law that will make him think less about sucking dicks and more importantly will prove to everyone he knows that he has never even thought about sucking a dick and never will suck a dick even if he sometime might accidentally think about it. 

Staring intently at trump helps him on this important issue.

He's fine with metaphorical dick sucking. That's part of his job. 

On 4/2/2018 at 1:12 PM, Brandywine said:

i doubt that pence would even be the gop nominee if trump decides not to run in 2020.  i mentioned this in another thread, the country would be better off with pence as president (as opposed to trump) because he's got more decorum, is more presidential, doesn't tweet, belittle, berate or bully.  But the country would be worse off with him as prez because he is more conservative than trump.  way more.  

The longer Donald Trump is president, the more I'm OK with it. He's an idiot and everyone knows it. The country will be fine and he'll be gone eventually.

His election was a boon for the Democratic Party. If Hillary had won, the mid-terms would suck for the Democrats.

25 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The longer Donald Trump is president, the more I'm OK with it. He's an idiot and everyone knows it. The country will be fine and he'll be gone eventually.

His election was a boon for the Democratic Party. If Hillary had won, the mid-terms would suck for the Democrats.

The longer he’s president, the worse the polarization gets and the more galvanized the democrats become.

It might seem appealing for democrats at first but there is a high risk we get the Dem version of Trump in the process.  That will not be good for America either.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The longer he’s president, the worse the polarization gets and the more galvanized the democrats become.

It might seem appealing for democrats at first but there is a high risk we get the Dem version of Trump in the process.  That will not be good for America either.

That doesn't bother me at all.

Lulz. Why did you even create this thread?  Completely predictable. Everything posted about Pence has been already posted before and true to Surly form, 75% of you all are saying the same thing.  Thanks for the revelations.  It's like being in a think tank.

• 2 years later...

Is there anybody in the GOP that has any self-respect or pride? Trump could shit in Mother's mouth and Pence would probably just get hard. Unreal.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/23/politics/trump-pence-congress/index.html

Former Vice President Mike Pence told a group of conservative lawmakers on Tuesday that he maintains a close personal friendship with former President Donald Trump, while noting that he plans to launch a political organization that will defend their administration's record over the past four years.

Rep. Jim Banks, an Indiana Republican who chairs the conservative Republican Study Committee, told CNN that a group of members met at Pence's transition office in the Washington area on Tuesday afternoon, talking about the way forward for their party while also touting the accomplishments of the past.

Pence harbored no ill will towards Trump over the January 6 riot, where pro-Trump rioters stormed the US Capitol with many looking for Pence who was presiding over the congressional certification of Joe Biden's victory. In fact, Trump's actions ahead of the riot "never came up," Banks said.
"He spoke very favorably about his relationship with President Trump," Banks told CNN. "I got the sense they speak often and maintain the same personal friendship and relationship now that they have for four years."

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry, couldn’t find a Pence thread.

He’s like an automaton. I feel like he’s giving a sermon in church. Beyond strange. Wonder what Mother thinks?

EDIT: This thread was buried. Couldn't find it in Tapa. But I was talking the Town Hall on CNN tonight and wondered if anybody else watched it. His delivery seemed stranger than normal, almost like he'd been replaced by an alien facsimile or something. He's one of the Pod People. :)

Edited by C-Man

13 hours ago, C-Man said:

He’s like an automaton. I feel like he’s giving a sermon in church.

When he gives a political speech it’s in very much the same stilted cadence as Hillary Clinton doing the same. Pence just uses less inflection and speaks more in a monotone.

No matter what the setting, he just comes across dumb as a brick. Watching him fawn over Trump for four years was disgusting, like his job was just to stand there looking at Trump with dreamy eyes.

One of the more bizarre episodes was that time Trump moved his water bottle from the table to the floor and Pence immediately did the same. Wtf? Everyone else is sitting there with their water bottles in front of them. Trump decides to move his to the ground and BAM! Pence immediately does the same. So bizarre.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Trump has dirt on him. People really underestimate the power and reach that Epstein had.

Trump might have dirt on Pence, but it's not through Epstein. Pence has never been the type to hang with Epstein's crowd. He hangs with an equally horrible crowd that also abuses children, they just do it in churches.

• Hook 'Em 1

Trump might have dirt on Pence, but it's not through Epstein. Pence has never been the type to hang with Epstein's crowd. He hangs with an equally horrible crowd that also abuses children, they just do it in churches.

I think you underestimate the power of depravity.
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Trump has dirt on him. People really underestimate the power and reach that Epstein had.

That which is asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. Is there any reason for us to assume you didn’t just pull that straight out of your ass? When and where would Mike Pence have even met Jeffrey Epstein? 

• 2 months later...