Pitch me an EPL team

lateshow

When I was "picking" an EPL team back in the day, I remember reading that Simmons article. It's not a horrible primer if can fine it. Back then, picking a top 6 team was pretty important because those were the ones you could watch on Saturday mornings before CFB. Now you can pretty much watch any EPL game. One thing that helped me narrow down my choice was the possibility to watch a game in person one day. That helped me narrow it down to teams in London, and ultimately Arsenal. I was able to catch a match a few years ago. And, if you haven't done so, EPL games are fantastic. Very similar to high intensity CFB games. Also, don't choose Tottenham, because, as Surly said, they are shit. 

edit: Talking about reading/watching stuff, Fever Pitch is a good flick that could make you lean gooner: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fever_Pitch_(1997_film)

Edited by CBT

14 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Just don’t pick Tottenham. Bill Simmons wrote a column explaining why they are the best choice and now every new American fan picks them. Plus they never win anything.

And act as if they have this illustrious club history. It's actually quite aggy-like.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2019 at 10:16 PM, Surly Bevo said:

You should not let us influence your pick.  That said, you gotta go with Tottenham Hotspurs!!!  (-:

Consider a London team if you ever intend to travel for games...just a bit easier...and there a pant load of teams in that one city.  An entire NFL division worth of teams are all in London.  And sometimes more depending on relegation and promotion.  But you'll find more passion, and bigger more American-like stadiums in other less cosmopolitan cities.

I started watching EPL regularly in 2013, the year Comcast/NBC started airing.  They went over the top with some great content on how to pick your team and had great vignettes on the history of the league and on each team.  That really helped and you should seek those out on YouTube.  They still do this for the newly promoted teams.  Because of that, I know more about Swansea City than I do the San Diego Chargers.

I did NOT want to pick a team.  My thought was no matter what, it would be bandwagon pick, and I didn't want to be like the legions of American kids that liked Man U just because they had a great run at that moment in history.  And I thought the real, true, EPL fans that grew up in neighborhoods blocks from their clubs would (and probably do) loathe all the bandwagon American fans. I spent one season consciously not picking a team and just watching the whole league.  And let me say, NBC Sports and their team, including Men In Blazers, do a fantastic job.  You'll grow to bow before the Queen of Dragons every Sat and Sun.  

But I got pulled in despite my plan not to.

My number one criterion was that I didn't want to follow the obvious teams...the recent winners or the teams that everyone loved...just didn't want to be that bandwagon.  So at the time, that meant no Man U, no Chelsea, no Man City.  I wanted to pick a team that when I told others they were my team, they knew it was genuine and not just another red jersey with a Chevy symbol on it.

I always liked Fulham because of the American players and an American owner. But they didn't pull me in.  I liked Everton because of American players.  I liked Arsenal because of RvP.  I liked Liverpool because they had major history but had been down a long while.  But those factors mostly shifted and were no longer the case...or they got relegated...or it just didn't take.

Here's how and why I picked the Spurs...and some of my reasons turned out to be wrong, but I don't care now.

1 - At the time, Spurs had HP as a sponsor, so I thought. Hey...American sponsor.  superficial reason...check. (They switched sponsors the very next season...now irrelevant)

2 - During this time, Under Armor was their kit sponsor. Hey...American sponsor.  Superficial reason...check. (Totally oblivious to the fact Nike and even New Balance also sponsor EPL teams...The Spurs changed to Nike soon thereafter)

3 - They signed the (much lesser) Pulisic of the day...the up and coming American, DeAndre Yedlin.  (He was loaned away immediately and is not with the team now)

4 - This is the team, and the new stadium (nothing more American than a big new stadium) where all NFL games in London will be played.  I figured if they were courting Americans so blatantly, I'd give them some love.

5 - They had Americans in the ownership group. (This was just dead wrong...not really sure where or how I got this impression, maybe I misread it from Liverpool...but there you go)

6 - This was not a big factor, but I liked that I had no problems understanding their coach's English during press conferences. (this was immediately taken away when they fired that coach after that one season and replaced with a genius saint with an Argentine accent)

7 - At this moment in time, they were NOT great, although clearly in the top 6 ish..barely.  At that exact moment, I was picking an underdog among the top clubs (I know this is an oxymoron, but it makes sense in EPL terms).  They were always punching up and struggling to beat the big boys, but did so with a style of play that was fun to watch.  Like Texas football, Spurs fans expect them not only to win, but to win with some style and good attacking play.  My cup of tea.

So at this point, I intellectually knew the list was long in support of the Spurs, but I was still reluctant to manufacture my way onto a fake bandwagon.  Then...

The video/s above.  The Sudeikis videos sealed the deal for me.  Any big time team that would allow a spoof video on their actual training grounds and make fun of soccer while making fun of Americans' understanding of football was perfect.  I loved it.  Watching this now, you see their big name players in the background.  Bale in in that video. I couldn't imagine any NFL team or the league, or any NBA team or league allowing the same with their big name players in the background...maybe they'd let some bench players do it...maybe. A team with this sense of humor and sense of marketing genius (although I am sure that genius was from the EPL and/or NBC), they are the team for me.

And of course, I got REAL lucky...I picked them at the exact moment they started (because of a brilliant coaching hire) a rapid upward trajectory, and while they don't have any silverware yet, they are a very good team doing great things in England and in Europe.  AND they did it all with no signings!

TL;DR - COME ON YOU SPURS!

Come on with me and support the Fightin' Chickens of London!!!

P.S.

On 7/16/2019 at 3:36 PM, Ollie Slatt said:

- Spurs: Everyone will assume you picked your team based on a Bill Simmons article.  Historically mediocre team that will likely go back to being that way once the current coach leaves. 

I never saw that article until recently..and it's interesting to read now as that article, like my reasons above, have been overtaken by much change in the table over the years.  Also, EABODs, Potch is staying!!!  Yee haw!  Even now, with a CL final appearance, the Spurs are usually listed last among the six...one of the reasons I picked them/love them.

• Like 2

Can you trace any of your family back to the UK?  If so, find out the city and the closest EPL team.  Just assume your relative would have been a fan, so it would be natural for you to be a fan.

That's what I did a few years back when my Dad finished his side of the family genealogy study.  His great grandfather was born in Manchester - Eccles to be more precise, which happens to be three miles from Old Trafford.  United it was.

How about you start watching for a couple of seasons and figure out who you like based on their style, players, supporters, ownership, and read some history?  

Maybe watch a bunch and wait for a moment that draws you in.  It's the one time you get to chose a club in your life.  You can change your family, but you can't change your club.  

Edited by Dertyberd

28 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

It's the one time you get to chose a club in your life.  You can change your family, but you can't change your club.

Having stronger loyalty to a sports team than your family is fucking retarded. Cheer for who you want, who cares. Just not Man U or Real. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Having stronger loyalty to a sports team than your family is fucking retarded. Cheer for who you want, who cares. Just not Man U or Real. 

I personally think using the word retarded as a grown man is worse than loyalty to a sports club, but what do I know.  Thanks for the advice young in, have another.  

I also never told him who he should support.  I told him to find his own way through experience.  I don't care who you support, but I hope it means something to you.  

Edited by Dertyberd

2 hours ago, DCLonghorn said:

You should not let us influence your pick.  That said, you gotta go with Tottenham Hotspurs!!!  (-:

Consider a London team if you ever intend to travel for games...just a bit easier...and there a pant load of teams in that one city.  An entire NFL division worth of teams are all in London.  And sometimes more depending on relegation and promotion.  But you'll find more passion, and bigger more American-like stadiums in other less cosmopolitan cities.

I started watching EPL regularly in 2013, the year Comcast/NBC started airing.  They went over the top with some great content on how to pick your team and had great vignettes on the history of the league and on each team.  That really helped and you should seek those out on YouTube.  They still do this for the newly promoted teams.  Because of that, I know more about Swansea City than I do the San Diego Chargers.

I did NOT want to pick a team.  My thought was no matter what, it would be bandwagon pick, and I didn't want to be like the legions of American kids that liked Man U just because they had a great run at that moment in history.  And I thought the real, true, EPL fans that grew up in neighborhoods blocks from their clubs would (and probably do) loathe all the bandwagon American fans. I spent one season consciously not picking a team and just watching the whole league.  And let me say, NBC Sports and their team, including Men In Blazers, do a fantastic job.  You'll grow to bow before the Queen of Dragons every Sat and Sun.  

But I got pulled in despite my plan not to.

My number one criterion was that I didn't want to follow the obvious teams...the recent winners or the teams that everyone loved...just didn't want to be that bandwagon.  So at the time, that meant no Man U, no Chelsea, no Man City.  I wanted to pick a team that when I told others they were my team, they knew it was genuine and not just another red jersey with a Chevy symbol on it.

I always liked Fulham because of the American players and an American owner. But they didn't pull me in.  I liked Everton because of American players.  I liked Arsenal because of RvP.  I liked Liverpool because they had major history but had been down a long while.  But those factors mostly shifted and were no longer the case...or they got relegated...or it just didn't take.

Here's how and why I picked the Spurs...and some of my reasons turned out to be wrong, but I don't care now.

1 - At the time, Spurs had HP as a sponsor, so I thought. Hey...American sponsor.  superficial reason...check. (They switched sponsors the very next season...now irrelevant)

2 - During this time, Under Armor was their kit sponsor. Hey...American sponsor.  Superficial reason...check. (Totally oblivious to the fact Nike and even New Balance also sponsor EPL teams...The Spurs changed to Nike soon thereafter)

3 - They signed the (much lesser) Pulisic of the day...the up and coming American, DeAndre Yedlin.  (He was loaned away immediately and is not with the team now)

4 - This is the team, and the new stadium (nothing more American than a big new stadium) where all NFL games in London will be played.  I figured if they were courting Americans so blatantly, I'd give them some love.

5 - They had Americans in the ownership group. (This was just dead wrong...not really sure where or how I got this impression, maybe I misread it from Liverpool...but there you go)

6 - This was not a big factor, but I liked that I had no problems understanding their coach's English during press conferences. (this was immediately taken away when they fired that coach after that one season and replaced with a genius saint with an Argentine accent)

7 - At this moment in time, they were NOT great, although clearly in the top 6 ish..barely.  At that exact moment, I was picking an underdog among the top clubs (I know this is an oxymoron, but it makes sense in EPL terms).  They were always punching up and struggling to beat the big boys, but did so with a style of play that was fun to watch.  Like Texas football, Spurs fans expect them not only to win, but to win with some style and good attacking play.  My cup of tea.

So at this point, I intellectually knew the list was long in support of the Spurs, but I was still reluctant to manufacture my way onto a fake bandwagon.  Then...

The video/s above.  The Sudeikis videos sealed the deal for me.  Any big time team that would allow a spoof video on their actual training grounds and make fun of soccer while making fun of Americans' understanding of football was perfect.  I loved it.  Watching this now, you see their big name players in the background.  Bale in in that video. I couldn't imagine any NFL team or the league, or any NBA team or league allowing the same with their big name players in the background...maybe they'd let some bench players do it...maybe. A team with this sense of humor and sense of marketing genius (although I am sure that genius was from the EPL and/or NBC), they are the team for me.

And of course, I got REAL lucky...I picked them at the exact moment they started (because of a brilliant coaching hire) a rapid upward trajectory, and while they don't have any silverware yet, they are a very good team doing great things in England and in Europe.  AND they did it all with no signings!

TL;DR - COME ON YOU SPURS!

Come on with me and support the Fightin' Chickens of London!!!

P.S.

I never saw that article until recently..and it's interesting to read now as that article, like my reasons above, have been overtaken by much change in the table over the years.  Also, EABODs, Potch is staying!!!  Yee haw!  Even now, with a CL final appearance, the Spurs are usually listed last among the six...one of the reasons I picked them/love them.

tottenham hotspur is my recommendation also. but it's never "hotspurs" or "the spurs".

just spurs.

11 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

I personally think using the word retarded as a grown man is worse than loyalty to a sports club, but what do I know.  Thanks for the advice young in, have another.  

I also never told him who he should support.  I told him to find his own way through experience.  I don't care who you support, but I hope it means something to you.  

I can think of dozens of reasons why someone might change allegiance or cheer for a different team. It's just sports. And I apologize for offending you. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I can think of dozens of reasons why someone might change allegiance or cheer for a different team. It's just sports. And I apologize for offending you. 

Accepted, thank you.  I had no reason for the drinks comment, over the line, my apologies.  

I understand it's just sports, and truly it is, but what is the point of sports without allegiance?  It's just athletic entertainment from a bunch of rich guys performing incredible physical feats.  Soccer isn't the world force it is because of bandwagon fans and cool jersey's.  It's the neighborhood folks grew up in, or a political identity to most supporters.  I know I've been given a unique perspective in my life because of where I've lived and I respect the folks who do treat it like religion/culture etc.  Soccer has taken people through good, bad, and ugly and you don't experience that if you jump clubs.  The world has changed with billionaire owners and corporate sponsors, but the sport as a whole only survives as long as the truly loyal fans live and breathe the club.  Sure it's irrational from some perspectives, but it's also a great outlet and something good to believe in.  Especially when the world around you is dark.  I can look at everything in my life and it will all at some point fail me, and even if I do my part in fixing the failure, the relationship may never be the same.  With a club, they can fail me, but I get to start fresh next season, no matter what division it's in or heart break they bring.  It's a beautiful thing that can only compare with college football (to an extent) on a professional level in my opinion.  

I hope that makes sense.  

45 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

We have a big ass cannon on our flag and our coach is Voldemort. The Austin Supporters Club is awesome and one of our own is on the board of Arsenal America. Clearly you should be an Austin Gooner.

Emery looks like he belongs on the cast of What We Do In The Shadows.

• Like 1

LFC has Daniel Craig, Clive Owen, Damian Lewis, Michael Fassbender and Samuel Fucking L. Jackson. 

A few of the female celeb supporters are Joss Stone, Lana Del Ray, Caroline Wozniacki, Kim Cattrell and Angelina Jolie. 

Tell me, does that strike your fancy?

Edited by Jograves

I have two teams:  a big 6 club and an also-ran club.  Makes things exciting on both ends - whether the big 6 club can win the EPL or a major trophy, and whether the little club can stay out of relegation and maybe make some noise.

My teams are Liverpool and Crystal Palace (the Pride of South London). 

I never had an EPL team.  I loved watching games but never wanted to get emotionally invested so I shied away from being a true supporter.  But I figured I needed one.

Liverpool is kind of an easy pick.  To start with, I am a huge Beatles fan and have always had a soft spot for the city.  It's London's little brother.   I always liked the team and felt bad they hadn't won the EPL ever.  And then mdmost and I went to a game at Anfield last year.  That sealed the deal.  This is team that I will live and die by.

As for Crystal Palace, I went to a game there many years ago.  Had a blast.  Again, they are one of the little brothers of the London teams.  So it's easy to support them and hope for good things.

Some other points about Liverpool and the traveling angle.  If you're associated with a team from Liverpool(LFC or Everton), they have a unique perspective about themselves and tend to lean LEFT politically or at the very least AGAINST the right(pretty big celebrations when Maggie Thatcher died). May not be a big deal, but if you are a political type person, you may be turned off by some of the conversations of fans.  

Many of the fans seem to be proud of being Scouse rather than English and you see a decent amount of that during the National team stuff.  A lot was made on the Liverpool fan sites about the Tottenham fans' banners having a lot of English flags in Madrid vs. essentially none for Liverpool.  

Again, may be a factor and may not, just throwing that out there.

Edited by pied

OP said he was a fan of the Cowboys.  So he's used to a team that has all the possibility in the world, makes a lot of money but ownership just can't get the fuck out of the way when it comes to achieving ultimate success.

Plus if you are a Longhorn the recent end of career arcs of Arsene Wenger and Mack Brown are shockingly similar, Arsene just isn't quite the sniveling bitch that Mack can be...but he is French so maybe that cancels Mack's bitchiness out.

Yea you should definitely become a Gooner...you'll feel right at home with us.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, midtown said:

Based on all the hate towards Spurs here that probably tells you that you should pick Tottenham.

Hating Tottenham would require me to give a shit about Tottenham first, and since statistically I only have another 40 years here, I'm not gonna spend one moment giving a shit about Tottenham when they're not losing to Chelsea.

Edited by TexArcher

So what I said above about Pulisic, Chelsea, and being a casual American fan may all be true, but here's the real answer:

You should just start watching matches and see which side you're drawn to.

I started watching in 10/11.  I watched all the major clubs and I had no intention of ever picking a team.  But Chelsea had Lampard, Terry, and Cole, who I already knew from cheering on the English national side.  And I discovered that I really liked Didier Drogba and Petr Cech.  By the end of that season I realized I had become a Chelsea fan and the following season I would back them from the start.  It just kinda happened.

Edited by TexArcher

I have two teams:  a big 6 club and an also-ran club.  Makes things exciting on both ends - whether the big 6 club can win the EPL or a major trophy, and whether the little club can stay out of relegation and maybe make some noise.
My teams are Liverpool and Crystal Palace (the Pride of South London). 
I never had an EPL team.  I loved watching games but never wanted to get emotionally invested so I shied away from being a true supporter.  But I figured I needed one.
Liverpool is kind of an easy pick.  To start with, I am a huge Beatles fan and have always had a soft spot for the city.  It's London's little brother.   I always liked the team and felt bad they hadn't won the EPL ever.  And then mdmost and I went to a game at Anfield last year.  That sealed the deal.  This is team that I will live and die by.
As for Crystal Palace, I went to a game there many years ago.  Had a blast.  Again, they are one of the little brothers of the London teams.  So it's easy to support them and hope for good things.

More than one is a good call. I do pull for Watford when they aren’t playing Arsenal because that’s the first place I saw a PL match. And they have Fat Drake.