NSIAP: Amazon HQ2, more jobs and traffic jams

Grippe

Can probably go ahead and scratch DFW off the list:

https://www.mysanantonio.com/business/article/Texas-woman-posts-YouTube-videos-of-herself-13123416.php

Texas woman posts YouTube videos of herself living in Amazon parking lot after warehouse injury

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6017049/Amazon-employee-claims-lives-car-outside-Texas-warehouse.html

'I work for the world's richest man and I live in my CAR': Amazon employee claims she is shacked-up in warehouse parking lot after she was injured on the job TWICE and received no sick pay for her time away

• Amazon employee Vickie Shannon Allen claims she lives in her car outside work
  • The woman first injured her back last October at a fulfillment center in Texas
  • She managed to get on worker's compensation and return to work in January 2018 when she got hurt at the same station, still not fitted with a brush guard
  • Now, she claims she lives in her car after she was evicted from her caravan park
  • She said she did not receive sick pay for her time off, seeking medical treatment 
  • This is the latest in a number of reports into conditions for employees at Amazon
  • It was recently revealed that Amazon founder Jeff Bezos is worth $150 billion

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/30/accidents-at-amazon-workers-left-to-suffer-after-warehouse-injuries

Accidents at Amazon: workers left to suffer after warehouse injuries

Workers pack and ship customer orders at the Amazon fulfillment center Romeoville, Illinois on 1 August 2017. Photograph: Scott Olson/Getty Images

Guardian investigation reveals numerous cases of Amazon workers being treated in ways that leave them homeless, unable to work or bereft of income after workplace accidents

• 3 weeks later...

CNBC graded the finalists the other day.  Only two cities got an "A."  A minuses, to be exact.  They're both in Texas.

AUSTIN

Overall Grade: A-

Texas seems to have many attributes that align well with Amazon's needs. No state has a better infrastructure, and the state's business climate is the picture of stability, thanks to the nation's best all-around state economy. Austin offers not only those attributes but also a legendary tech scene fed by the state's flagship university and a vibe that tech talent can love. Texas does have some quality-of-life issues when it comes to crime, health insurance and inclusiveness. And while the state gets points for having no corporate income tax, high property taxes cancel out some of that cost advantage.

Population: A+

Stability: B+

Talent: B

DALLAS

Overall Grade: A-

Dallas offers the same Texas advantages that Austin does — great infrastructure, a strong and stable economy, and a world class workforce. It also offers more air travel options. Dallas–Fort Worth International Airport is the world's fourth busiest based on aircraft operations, serving 233 destinations including 57 international cities. But Dallas also shares Texas' disadvantages when it comes to quality of life and cost. Plus it suffers a relative shortage of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) workers that companies like Amazon crave.

Population: A+

Stability: B+

Talent: B

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/16/as-amazon-narrows-choice-for-hq2these-cities-finishing-strong.html

• 3 weeks later...

So last Friday (9/7) it marked 1-year since Amazon released the RFP on HQ2. With a requirement to submit proposals by October 19. And in the 11 months since the submissions, they've narrowed the list to 20 cities.

Is there going to be a selection soon, or do you think they will narrow the list to 3 or 4 final finalists and see how those cities ramp up the incentives?

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

So last Friday (9/7) it marked 1-year since Amazon released the RFP on HQ2. With a requirement to submit proposals by October 19. And in the 11 months since the submissions, they've narrowed the list to 20 cities.

Is there going to be a selection soon, or do you think they will narrow the list to 3 or 4 final finalists and see how those cities ramp up the incentives?

Think of it like a 5* DL being recruited.

There will be top 10's, top 7's, top 5's, top 3's, OV's, UOV's, Twitter drama, rides will dematerialize and finally, Bezos will sit down at a table with a DC hat and an Austin hat and "shock the world".

Edited by Orange&White
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

I think it's pretty clear they are waiting until after the election to make any announcements so it doesn't turn into a campaign issue for city council and mayors across the country. 

• 1 month later...

It'll be hard for the Federal Government to further restrict Bezos' myriad monopoly plays across industries when there won't be a Congressman or agency regulator who doesn't live next door to an Amazon HQ2 employee.  By encircling those lawmakers and enforcers with tens of thousands of Amazon folks, there's a nice tacitly imposing donut of intimidation.  

Brilliant move by Bezos, IMO. 

Shit, you thought all those workers coming here were gonna jack up our cost of living and fuck up our traffic?  Arlington County is already an impossibly expensive place to live with traffic way worse than ours on top of a decent public transportation system.  

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

crystal city's what the media's running with but there's quite a bit of smoke about it being austin.

Yeah! Another tech outpost to go along with Apple, facebook, and google offices...I guess it’s a requirement to have an Austin office for some reason all of a sudden.

35 minutes ago, staboner said:

can you elaborate on this smoke?

or pass the J this way at least

have had several contacts whose business it is to know, say 1.)  crystal city isn't a done deal and 2.)  austin is still in the running and top of the list.

• Like 1

Article I saw said talks with Dallas are continuing.  Probably seeing how far Dallas would go to whore themselves and see if Crystal City would match.  If there's one thing Dallas loves, it's whoring itself to private businesses to locate there while paying no taxes.

Article I saw said talks with Dallas are continuing.  Probably seeing how far Dallas would go to whore themselves and see if Crystal City would match.  If there's one thing Dallas loves, it's whoring itself to private businesses to locate there while paying no taxes.

At least it makes some sense to whore yourself out to a real business that provides jobs as opposed to providing a $ billion whoring yourself out to the NFL
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

CNBC reported that there is talk of a split (2nd) HQ, with CC and Austin the 2 leading candidates.

I have no idea if CNBC knows what they're talking about, because fake news.

Split HDQ and put Elon Musk's hyperloop train underground between the two, to shuttle people back and forth. Dream big!

Local news here in DFW are reporting that Dallas is heavily rumored to be one of the 2 cities.  The old Dallas Morning News building and surrounding 7 acres right next to Union Station was just recently purchased for $33 million by the same company that did the deals for Toyota and State Farm HQ campuses here in the metroplex.  

19 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Local news here in DFW are reporting that Dallas is heavily rumored to be one of the 2 cities.  The old Dallas Morning News building and surrounding 7 acres right next to Union Station was just recently purchased for $33 million by the same company that did the deals for Toyota and State Farm HQ campuses here in the metroplex.  

i don't remember what the dmn building looked like, how big was it?  and 7 acres seems like a pretty small footprint for what they envisioned.

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i don't remember what the dmn building looked like, how big was it?  and 7 acres seems like a pretty small footprint for what they envisioned.

The city, Hunt Realty Trust, and AH Belo put together a 50 acre total proposal for that site.  Not sure how it's configured.

this opportunity would be great for any city.  however, i don't think people outside of austin realize just how much the people who live in the austin area DO NOT want this.  the economic boom would not make up for all the shit that would go with it, namely even higher housing costs and an absolute kick in the balls to traffic.

19 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Wouldn't be shocked at all to see it split between Dallas and Austin.   

I’d be pissed and jealous as hell as a Houstonian if that happened. One or the other great, but both as split HQ would sting. Like when Top Chef came to Texas and went to SA, Dallas and Austin not Houston just like with In-N-Out too.

14 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

this opportunity would be great for any city.  however, i don't think people outside of austin realize just how much the people who live in the austin area DO NOT want this.  the economic boom would not make up for all the shit that would go with it, namely even higher housing costs and an absolute kick in the balls to traffic.

As a central Austin resident, I want it to be in Austin as I assume it would not be in city center but bring significant follow-on industries, start-ups, etc.

Edited by happyfunball

2 minutes ago, happyfunball said:

As a central Austin resident, I want it to be in Austin as I assume it would not be in city center but bring significant follow-on industries, start-ups, etc.

all of those people have to live somewhere and will travel throughout the area.  make no mistake, no matter where in the austin area, it will be a major strain to the area.