King's X

DougO

I know there are a few other King's X fans here and there was a thread on that other defunct board. Not many people hear about them, but they never stopped touring and making records now and then. They were recently in the studio recording a brand new album, and they are on the road doing some shows now.

Anyway, I mainly started this to share this multi-camera concert video done by a friend of mine. He had permission from the band to shoot the whole set and share the video. There's not too much quality live pro-ish video of this band out there, so this is very nice. They aren't quite in their prime, but they still kick some ass and are one of the most underrated rock bands of all time. I wish there had been more stuff like this out there from the mohawk and band uniform days and all through the Atlantic years.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 3

I met Dug Pinnick a few years back and have his cell and still keep up from time to time. My freshman year at UT, during SXSW 2010 I went to Texas Rockfest and he was playing with one of his side projects at the time, Razr 13. At the time, I was standing against the wall by myself watching one of the earlier bands, as was he, and he came up and introduced himself to me and we ended up hanging out all night until Snoop Dogg's (he was playing Emo's right across the street) tour manager or assistant or something like that, came to Key Bar after getting some bud for Snoop and drove me back to my dorm before taking Dug back to his hotel. Dug was a super cool guy. I knew he is a big stoner and at one point he asks me, "you smoke pot?". I tell him yes and he proceeds to pull out an Altoids tin filled to the brim with THC pills. I take a few of those and later smoked a blunt with him and his band behind Danko Jones' tour bus. George Lynch, who is my favorite guitarist of all time was playing that show with his side band, Souls of We. He walked by and I told Dug that he was my favorite guitarist and Dug says, "I've always wanted to meet George and jam with him sometime, let's go introduce ourselves". So me and Dug go hang out and talk to George for a while, George and Dug exchange numbers and that was the start of their new side project with Ray Luzier the drummer for Korn, KXM. We still keep in touch every now and then, in fact, he actually just sent me a pic on Snapchat earlier today. Hes told me he could get me backstage before, hoping he could work some magic when he comes back with the Experience Hendrix tour in SA in a few months /csb

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, justinjc7 said:

I met Dug Pinnick a few years back and have his cell and still keep up from time to time. My freshman year at UT, during SXSW 2010 I went to Texas Rockfest and he was playing with one of his side projects at the time, Razr 13. At the time, I was standing against the wall by myself watching one of the earlier bands, as was he, and he came up and introduced himself to me and we ended up hanging out all night until Snoop Dogg's (he was playing Emo's right across the street) tour manager or assistant or something like that, came to Key Bar after getting some bud for Snoop and drove me back to my dorm before taking Dug back to his hotel. Dug was a super cool guy. I knew he is a big stoner and at one point he asks me, "you smoke pot?". I tell him yes and he proceeds to pull out an Altoids tin filled to the brim with THC pills. I take a few of those and later smoked a blunt with him and his band behind Danko Jones' tour bus. George Lynch, who is my favorite guitarist of all time was playing that show with his side band, Souls of We. He walked by and I told Dug that he was my favorite guitarist and Dug says, "I've always wanted to meet George and jam with him sometime, let's go introduce ourselves". So me and Dug go hang out and talk to George for a while, George and Dug exchange numbers and that was the start of their new side project with Ray Luzier the drummer for Korn, KXM. We still keep in touch every now and then, in fact, he actually just sent me a pic on Snapchat earlier today. Hes told me he could get me backstage before, hoping he could work some magic when he comes back with the Experience Hendrix tour in SA in a few months /csb

Dug is one of the nicest dudes I have ever met. And KXM kicks ass. They also have a new album coming out in the fall. I would like to see them tour if they can work it out through all their schedules.

• 2 months later...

Wow! That’s actually a really cool story, bro

Been a King's X fan since 94. I had heard about them before (primarily Black Flag) but never really got them until Dogman.
Their live show never ceases to amaze.
Plus, all of the members' side projects are great...Ty's solo stuff, Jelly Jam, Platypus, KXM, Poundhound, etc,...all worth a listen.

The new KXM came out a couple of weeks ago. It's got some really good sounding stuff on it, but I honestly haven't taken the time to really listen to it repeatedly. Football and other stuff has interrupted my intimate album time. I've just been listening to my flash drive mix in the car and stuff.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Not sure. Football stuff and other things seems to always get in the way. I wish the tours weren't always in the fall. May be the last one.
You're not wrong about it possibly being there last one (Dug is damn near 75). They played a show before COVID, but I didn't go because I was sure there'd be more shows... then everything went to shit. I'm pretty set on going to this one.

NFL Network show Good Morning Football has been playing "Lost In Germany" in their intro all week, as they are hosting from Dusseldorf ahead of the overseas game. Pretty rare for King's X to get some play on a national level. Probably the biggest thing for them since Paul Shaeffer's band was playing "We Were Born To Be Loved" a lot on the Letterman show. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1