Woodworking, DIY, and home repair thread

Mojo Hand

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Really nice work.

That before pic almost gave me a panic attack.

I said that to my wife before we moved in.  That I couldn't go in there again.  It was nightmare fuel for me.

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

Nice work!

As an aside, does anyone in your family know how to fold a golf shirt and store off a shirt hanger?

Also, my wife is running circles around yours in the shoes, boots and purses race to infinity.

Those are the current shoes.  Before we got married she got rid of about half her collection.  Positive side is very few of them are Louboutin or the like.  Most are inexpensive knock offs of stuff.  The purses and jewelry on the other hand...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/2/2023 at 9:06 AM, uoftorange said:

It's been a long while since I posted in this thread.  Hell it might have been on the Shag even.  

Our master closet was just a basic builder one.  Decent size, but just shelves and bars.  Nothing special.  

The lady that owned the house before us had it stuff to the gills and had put thumb tacks, nails and screws all over the place, but we didn't have time to fix that on move in.  So over Christmas break I went at it.  Had to build and paint around stuff being in there, so did one side then the other so our clothes weren't out for too long.

This is a panoramic of the nightmare fuel it was before we moved in.  Shit EVERYWHERE

But you can see that there are two sides with an island in the middle.  

IMG_1517.thumb.jpeg.218515388dee4de8870710b56fc3aebb.jpeg

This is the basic it was
IMG_7445.thumb.JPEG.5eedf5ded96a14b327e44c0e7d33f082.JPEG

and the center section after I gutted it.  It was just a bar on each side for the middle with a shelf up top
IMG_7446.thumb.JPEG.8f2902749b4eba00526aba55e390cdca.JPEG

And now the after:  This is my side.  Just added a shelf up top on the middle island, a shelf on the back top and then an extra bar up top on the right for clothes

The Ikea shelving and drawer unit I put in on move in is working fine for now, but will one day be replaced like the other side  I've also finished the braces and painted them up top but don't have a newer pic with that

IMG_4064.thumb.JPEG.83780baff0a051538e6ca3ed205e69af.JPEGIMG_4065.thumb.JPEG.c90d021a6420f656a3f399d784c976d0.JPEG

But my wife's side got a much bigger overhaul.

Added in drawers, shelves and shoe rack to that pic above where it showed the before

IMG_4061.thumb.JPEG.d1acb913f7ca6d54d98adfacc90b0d35.JPEG

Then added a shelf along the top for more storage

IMG_4063.thumb.JPEG.3e3fd88117f7718371396d3ce5d3988d.JPEG

And in the previous island she got shelves up top and 12 adjustable shoe racks that are tilted to see better.  Also face framed the end to look nicer and go with the rest of the closet

IMG_4062.thumb.JPEG.ee3a4a3c8d46e8b73be39e4b53eaf88d.JPEG

This is going to be our next project.  One of those systems fits almost to the inch in our closet,  both sides and the back.  That looks better than I was expecting, need to go ahead and pull the trigger on it.  

eta: was going to show the wife the pics until I noticed all the Chanel.  Oof. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Haha 2

I have an ongoing wardrobe project that's almost complete, just need to do the finishing carpentry on it.  We have a large master walk-in closet, but our master bedroom is also very large and long, like a bowling alley, so at the end opposite the bed, there's just this unused space.  So I decided I wanted to build-in a series of floor-to-ceiling and wall-to-wall wardrobes, as much for the aesthetics as anything else.  We don't really need the storage, but a little extra never hurt anyone, and it now makes sense out of that weird unused space.

Anyway, I'm close to being done, and will post pics as soon as it's complete.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

This is going to be our next project.  One of those systems fits almost to the inch in our closet,  both sides and the back.  That looks better than I was expecting, need to go ahead and pull the trigger on it.  

eta: was going to show the wife the pics until I noticed all the Chanel.  Oof. 

Just to be clear.  Only that one shelf on my side is Ikea.  The rest I custom built.  It's fine.  Quality is okay, drawers don't work super smoothly and if I had it to do again I'd build that myself and be exactly what I want.  But it's not bad at all.  Works for now and is reasonably sturdy

1 hour ago, uoftorange said:

Just to be clear.  Only that one shelf on my side is Ikea.  The rest I custom built.  It's fine.  Quality is okay, drawers don't work super smoothly and if I had it to do again I'd build that myself and be exactly what I want.  But it's not bad at all.  Works for now and is reasonably sturdy

Yeah I’m not a huge fan of the. In general. But the out/out fit on their “out of the box” system is less than an inch from being bolted in. And the entire closet system is 16k cheaper than the next contractor. So I think that’s the way we are going to go. I don’t have the ability to do cabinetry/sliding drawers (myself). 

Yeah I’m not a huge fan of the. In general. But the out/out fit on their “out of the box” system is less than an inch from being bolted in. And the entire closet system is 16k cheaper than the next contractor. So I think that’s the way we are going to go. I don’t have the ability to do cabinetry/sliding drawers (myself). 

What system are you leaning towards? IKEA or ELFA or something like that?

2 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

What system are you leaning towards? IKEA or ELFA or something like that?

To be honest, I haven’t seen ELFA.  Wife put together a system on the ikea site, and they nearly fit perfect, so I entertained them.  It’s the same “collection” I bought our youngest for her first bedroom set (before it gets replaced once she proves she won’t draw on it and whatnot) and it’s not terrible, tbh. Certainly nicer than the builder grade particle board shelves :(  that are currently in there.  I got a few quotes from local companies that specialize in closet cabinetry, and they were all >15k.  This isn’t our forever home, and the closet isn’t huge, so don’t really want to spend bug money on legitimate built ins.  Plan is to put these in, cedar plank the innards, and finish the wood floors (have the wood, didn’t do closet when doing rest of 1st floor) during the tear down.  If we do decide to stay here, I’d really like to build out another 10x10 on the end of the closet (into the 3rd car) and put in a safe door/built in safe.     

My "built-in" wardrobes are based on Ikea frames and drawers.   I've trimmed out around them to make them look built-in, and will paint it all to match the rest of the trimwork in the room.

Its quality is good enough.  It's certainly far simpler than building it all from scratch.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Okie State said:
On 2/21/2023 at 8:27 PM, heso said:
Did some work in the basement with some photos I took the last time I was down at the masters.

68e559e902a915cd67a8f82cb643f3fc.jpg
4000d22c5d421f8110cacf6ede9f36b1.jpg

Did you do that paneling yourself? I'm going to try it in our half bath and if it works out maybe in our dining room.

I did. It’s just primed 1x from Home Depot. The bottom piece is 1x6, the vertical pieces and the top is 1x4, and the cap is 1x2 turned flat. 

Painted the wall brown on top and white on the bottom. Cut and painted the 1x to match the white. Nailed everything in place except for the 1x2 because I wanted to hide the edge of the wallpaper mural behind that. Filled the nail holes and caulked all of the edges then gave it all one last coat of paint. Hung the wallpaper and then nailed the 1x2 cap in place. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, heso said:

I did. It’s just primed 1x from Home Depot. The bottom piece is 1x6, the vertical pieces and the top is 1x4, and the cap is 1x2 turned flat. 

Painted the wall brown on top and white on the bottom. Cut and painted the 1x to match the white. Nailed everything in place except for the 1x2 because I wanted to hide the edge of the wallpaper mural behind that. Filled the nail holes and caulked all of the edges then gave it all one last coat of paint. Hung the wallpaper and then nailed the 1x2 cap in place. 

Looks really good!

For the master bedroom wardrobe-wall project I mentioned upthread, one wall will be floor-to-ceiling wardrobes.  To balance it at the opposite end of the bedroom, for the wall behind the bed, I plan on doing a board-and-batten treatment similar to what you did, but it'll go floor to ceiling instead of being wainscoted, to match the wardrobe wall.

maybe you handy people can help me out.  trying to find a shutter control rod for plantation blinds.  all the shutters  are wrecked in my sons room with 90% of the blinds detaching from the frame due to them being old the plastic pegs crumbling form the sun exposure i guess. 

image.png.106fcca58aadb23a3a273d77196abebb.png

I drilled out and replaced all the fittings and put back most of the shutters so far, but the control rod for one of the windows was broken.  the rod is flat on one side and a rounded half-circle on the other.  I just need one ~50" rod (insert jokes here). 

Perusing HD i did not see anything. I could maybe make a piece of molding work and it's cheap at $2.  Web searches turned up a few leads, one would not long enough.  would have to get 2 shorter ones and i guess dowel them together.  cost ~$20.  The only ready to go product i saw wanted $90 for a composite plastic piece 70" long.  

any ideas on where to source a single piece?

15 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

You mean like a wooden dowel rod?

yes but those seem too heavy. needs to be made of a lighter wood and ideally would only be a half circle for the shape

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Looks like you can get exactly what you need at shutterpartsdirect.com, but it won't be cheap.

image.thumb.png.845dd8eafa779f64491599d5b8de0bf9.png

yeah, i was kinda balking at paying ~$70 for a 30 cent piece of wood.  i could get a 20' piece of molding for ~$2 that is similar but not quite 'right'

56 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

yes but those seem too heavy. needs to be made of a lighter wood and ideally would only be a half circle for the shape

yeah, i was kinda balking at paying ~$70 for a 30 cent piece of wood.  i could get a 20' piece of molding for ~$2 that is similar but not quite 'right'

plus shipping I would imagine.  Also, probably 0% chance of a 50ft piece making it intact.

Do you have a decent table saw?  

Or look around for a small custom cabinet shop.  I would think you could get something worked up for half that price, even if they were fucking your eyes out.

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

plus shipping I would imagine.  Also, probably 0% chance of a 50ft piece making it intact.

Or look around for a small custom cabinet shop.  I would think you could get something worked up for half that price, even if they were fucking your eyes out.

the internet place was just for a 50 inch piece, which is what i need.  

21 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

maybe you handy people can help me out.  trying to find a shutter control rod for plantation blinds.  all the shutters  are wrecked in my sons room with 90% of the blinds detaching from the frame due to them being old the plastic pegs crumbling form the sun exposure i guess. 

image.png.106fcca58aadb23a3a273d77196abebb.png

I drilled out and replaced all the fittings and put back most of the shutters so far, but the control rod for one of the windows was broken.  the rod is flat on one side and a rounded half-circle on the other.  I just need one ~50" rod (insert jokes here). 

Perusing HD i did not see anything. I could maybe make a piece of molding work and it's cheap at $2.  Web searches turned up a few leads, one would not long enough.  would have to get 2 shorter ones and i guess dowel them together.  cost ~$20.  The only ready to go product i saw wanted $90 for a composite plastic piece 70" long.  

any ideas on where to source a single piece?

Are you in Austin? If so, check out Fine Lumber - they may have something that would work better than a standard dowel and for considerably less than $65. If you're not in Austin, find a local lumber yard - a lot of them will sell trim and specialty molded pieces.

7 hours ago, Incredulity said:

spinal-tap-napkin-768x513.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/8/2023 at 1:56 PM, dieucla98 said:

Are you in Austin? If so, check out Fine Lumber - they may have something that would work better than a standard dowel and for considerably less than $65. If you're not in Austin, find a local lumber yard - a lot of them will sell trim and specialty molded pieces.

I'm a week late here, but if in the Austin area, reach out to Southern Shutters in Manor.  I bet they'd sell you a pre-primed tilt bar for cheap.

I need some woodwork / shelves in Houston. I live in 2nd ward / eado. Anyone local interested ? 

the two shelves are about a 15 mins job. Want that down asap. After seeing @uoftorange post, my master closet needs some work. We can take a look and discuss. 

I promise I’m not a serial killer 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

I need some woodwork / shelves in Houston. I live in 2nd ward / eado. Anyone local interested ? 

the two shelves are about a 15 mins job. Want that down asap. After seeing [mention=1469]uoftorange[/mention] post, my master closet needs some work. We can take a look and discuss. 

I promise I’m not a serial killer 

I feel like some chick you are fucking will know someone that can do it.

On 3/16/2023 at 8:18 PM, tx 3 putt said:

you fuckers need to focus, I’m being very serious here !!!

Do you want floating shelves or shelves on a bracket? Either scenario, there are a lot of kits you can buy online to get the job done. I've seen many that are built to the inch you require and if you need more granular than that, you can always rip the shelves using a table or track saw (assuming you have either). That works better on bracket shelves vs floating but either way, you can get a perfect fit buying online.

• 3 weeks later...

Some furniture I made for country house.  Cutting into old whiskey barrel was tough for me and wish I had a 2nd at bat.  Still happy with outcome but various places I didn't cut straight.  Also, cleaning that whiskey barrel with all that char inside might have given me cancer.

20230408_145450.jpg

20230408_145508.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2