Does Spotify even try?

C-Man

Look, I like it. I really do. Having all that music at my disposal is great. I like the interface for the most part. However, it's impossible to get anybody to help if you need guidance or troubleshooting. Second, my "Daily Mix" collections are almost always the same 25-30 songs from the same artists. It never, ever, ever changes things up.

What sort of guidance or troubleshooting do you need?

Have you tried the Discover Weekly or Release Radar playlists?

If you start to build your own playlist it will suggest things for you to add.

Have quite a few playlists. I don’t mind the same artists cropping up — hell, I’m already fans of most — but it’s the same couple of songs it seems.

I had a devil of a time getting the Family account set up and there is next-to-Zero guidance. No way to talk to anybody either by phone or chat or even email. Figured it out but it wasn’t easy.

18 hours ago, C-Man said:

Also, if you hit something like “Wilco Radio” the variety is shit — and again, a lot of repeats of songs.

Try radio based on a single song you like or have been vibing to. I actually find a lot of good new music that way (not new per se, but stuff I haven't heard). 

For example, go to Jesus Etc. then go to "Jesus Etc. Radio"

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 3:41 AM, C-Man said:

Also, if you hit something like “Wilco Radio” the variety is shit — and again, a lot of repeats of songs.

How long have you been on? I have no issues with a good mix of tunes. 

As a general rule, I don't do playlists.  I don't know why, but I don't.

I do save a number of songs under "favorites," or saved or whatever.  That is what seems to drive my daily mix and similar generated playlists. Either the fact that they're saved or listened to frequently. I get a pretty decent mix also.

Disagree. Have been turned on to a number of new bands from radio and daily playlists 

Mine was really delivering until my kids started using it. My daughter is finally 13 and has her own family account but my ten year old boy still hoses up my Discover Weekly and Release Radar playlists because he loves Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, and video game music.

But before they screwed it all up I was getting all sorts of good stuff.

• 3 years later...

TIL that you can make shuffle truly random by going to settings and disabling automix. Those fuckers try to make the songs follow one another in a broad sense and not be too jarring and think that this is what we want shuffle to do. Dumb fuckers. I just jumped from Chet Atkins to the Dropkick Murpheys to Bach. Much better experience.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

TIL that you can make shuffle truly random by going to settings and disabling automix. Those fuckers try to make the songs follow one another in a broad sense and not be too jarring and think that this is what we want shuffle to do. Dumb fuckers. I just jumped from Chet Atkins to the Dropkick Murpheys to Bach. Much better experience.

The new one with Evan Felker?  

On 11/10/2022 at 1:02 PM, Shoxthemonkey said:

I don't know how others do it but I have always clicked on the heart icon and "liked" the 5,000 tunes in my liked songs list. I've never made any specific playlists. It would never shuffle to any of the jazz or classical tunes until I did this manoever.

thats funny.  i did the same thing until i got a notice that i could no longer add songs.  i think max "liked" songs is 10-12k or so.   so i have spent the better part of the year whittling that down to a solid 2-3000. 

I’ve never had much luck with turning these services into a “play me something I like” radio format without them becoming extremely tight and repetitive on their selections.  The algorithm is just not that smart.  Hell, SiriusXM is even like that in my car and I don’t customize those channels.  

Nothing lives up to the playlists on old FM radio.  I am obviously 127 years old.  Soon I won’t be able to hear it or remember and it will sort itself out that way.  

I tend to bounce from one user-created playlist to another.  Those tend to be better. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Help out an old. How do  I, to use vinyl as an example, "lift the needle". I often want to listen to one song from one album and then go to another song from another album. At present it wants to play the entire song before I can go to something else. I'm brand new to Spotify, so I may be using it wrong. 

1 minute ago, Not that Bob said:

Help out an old. How do  I, to use vinyl as an example, "lift the needle". I often want to listen to one song from one album and then go to another song from another album. At present it wants to play the entire song before I can go to something else. I'm brand new to Spotify, so I may be using it wrong. 

huh?  never heard of that.  just click play on whatever song you want to listen to and it should play regardless of whether you're currently listening to something else.

2 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

I guess that's correct. I was just thinking the first played song would stop completely, but I am able to start another. I guess I'll just have multiple going in the "background" which I think I had compared to having too many appps open in the background of a computer. Thanks. 

i am obviously not understanding your question at all...i am completely confused.  a sample scenario to clarify...

on spotify, you play a track...let's say "wish you were here" from pink floyd.

then you decide in the middle of the song, you want to play "money" so you click through to get to dark side of the moon and click play on "money."  are you saying that spotify is playing both "wish you were here" and "money" at the same time?

Thanks for your time. I think I am wrong. I was expecting the first song to "stop" but what it does is pause, which does indeed allow me to click on another. I guess it's a convenience so I can go back to the place I paused if I want to. It will take me some time to transition from turntable to digital. 

On 1/23/2023 at 1:04 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

On a note related to the thread topic, I used to get a bunch of new releases showing up every Friday in a new release section that I never see any more.  I liked that format and interface better than the "Release Radar" playlist.  Is this the same for everyone?

I get a suggested playlist every Monday morning. The tunes are selected based on my recent activity. I usually listen straight through without shuffle and add a few of the recommended to my favorites. I thought that everyone got that feature but I don 't know that for sure.

ETA: Discover Weekly is the playlist. If I did anything to subscribe to this list, I don't remember it.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey