Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

4 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Gotta think kersetter gets moved inside and karic gets a start at RT if junior can't go. 

That's an interesting take -- Kerstetter's best position is probably guard and Karic has a great mean streak.  Hope Karic can hold up as a starter at RT.  

pff grades are not complimentary of the oline unit, despite the solid day on yardage (435) and yards gained per play (6.4)

obviously, these grades do not paint the full picture of performance but they are an input to review.

Christian Jones - 32 Passing Plays - 1 Passing Penalty - 2 Hurries - 18.3 PBLK Rating - 40 Run Plays - 40.1 RBLK Rating - 33.5 Overall Rating

Okafor - 32 Passing Plays - 1 Passing Penalty - 2 Hurries - 36.1 PBLK Rating - 40 Run Plays - 1 Rushing Penalty - 75.0 RBLK Rating - 70.4 Overall Rating

Majors - 32 Passing Plays - 3 Hurries - 48.2 PBLK Rating - 40 Run Plays - 62.4 RBLK Rating - 61.5 Overall Rating

Angilau - 31 Passing Plays - 2 Hurries - 56.9 PBLK Rating - 33 Run Plays - 69.6 RBLK Rating - 64.5 Overall Rating

Kerstetter - 32 Passing Plays - 1 Sack - 2 Hurries - 66.9 PBLK Rating - 40 Run Plays - 1 Rushing Penalty - 48.5 RBLK Rating - 52.9 Overall Rating

Conner - 1 Passing Play - 67.3 PBLK Rating - 7 Run Plays - 54.3 RBLK Rating - 54.8 Overall Rating

Not surprising, the highest rated defensive Cajuns were the 3 starting dline players and the 2 outside linebackers.

Edited by pacman
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, pacman said:

pff grades are not complimentary of the oline unit, despite the solid day on yardage (435) and yards gained per play (6.4)

obviously, these grades do not paint the full picture of performance but they are an input to review.

Christian Jones - 32 Passing Plays - 1 Passing Penalty - 2 Hurries - 18.3 PBLK Rating - 40 Run Plays - 40.1 RBLK Rating - 33.5 Overall Rating

Okafor - 32 Passing Plays - 1 Passing Penalty - 2 Hurries - 36.1 PBLK Rating - 40 Run Plays - 1 Rushing Penalty - 75.0 RBLK Rating - 70.4 Overall Rating

Majors - 32 Passing Plays - 3 Hurries - 48.2 PBLK Rating - 40 Run Plays - 62.4 RBLK Rating - 61.5 Overall Rating

Angilau - 31 Passing Plays - 2 Hurries - 56.9 PBLK Rating - 33 Run Plays - 69.6 RBLK Rating - 64.5 Overall Rating

Kerstetter - 32 Passing Plays - 1 Sack - 2 Hurries - 66.9 PBLK Rating - 40 Run Plays - 1 Rushing Penalty - 48.5 RBLK Rating - 52.9 Overall Rating

Conner - 1 Passing Play - 67.3 PBLK Rating - 7 Run Plays - 54.3 RBLK Rating - 54.8 Overall Rating

Not surprising, the highest rated defensive Cajuns were the 3 starting dline players and the 2 outside linebackers.

I couldn't stop bitching about #70.  His feet were terrible.  He was slow on any pull in the run game. He whiffed on pass pro several times. I don't know how the PFF grading system works, but that RBLK rating agrees with what I saw.  Not sure PBLK was that bad, but it wasn't good.

I think the bourbon told me to say, "If this is our best LT, Card is going to get blasted at some point."

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Jones should probably move to guard.  He has tackle size, but I still can’t understand why he is always portrayed as being the athletic prototype in our offseason reports.  Throughout 2020 and now again in our 2021 opener what I’ve seen is a guy who too often struggles to move his feet and stay in front of edge rushers.   He can do some damage if he locks on to a defender in the run game, but he spends way too much time bending at the waist and lunging or reaching for guys as they go around him instead of moving laterally and keeping his feet under him in pass protection.  

Karic may be shorter, but he actually can move.  I’d feel a lot better with him on an island against an edge rusher. 

Okafor is less mobile than Jones, and I wouldn’t mind if someone else were to take that guard spot by the OU game.  Any defense like OU that tries to run twists/stunts, interior blitzes, or even just having their DT shoot gaps is going to cause problems for him (like they did last year).  He’s stout if you just try to take him on head up and eat the block, but he isn’t nimble enough to handle attacking fronts even at guard.

I like big heavy OLs when they’re freakish athletes like Bama’s - if you tuned in to their game against Miami, you would have seen the clips of Evan Neal’s workouts doing 48 inch standing box jumps that end with him doing the splits at 6’7” 350.  But our big heavy guys aren’t like Evan Neal.  We need more mobility on the OL pretty badly. 

We saw the same thing.  Our feet are really bad on the left side... and now opposing teams have film to look at to exploit how bad those feet are. 

Flood has work to do or decisions to make.

2 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I couldn't stop bitching about #70.  His feet were terrible.  He was slow on any pull in the run game. He whiffed on pass pro several times. I don't know how the PFF grading system works, but that RBLK rating agrees with what I saw.  Not sure PBLK was that bad, but it wasn't good.

I think the bourbon told me to say, "If this is our best LT, Card is going to get blasted at some point."

An ordinary QB would have been, Card is pretty hard to blast, guy has good pocket awareness (based on one game). Also, can't remember the Q, but 70's holding call he got way out over his skis, leaning way too far forward while engaging the DE, who easily went around and then Jones grabbed him. Dude almost fell down. I've been watching the replay looking for that hold, and focusing on our LT is not a good experience for me.

I was always a little skeptical of all the Jones hype. He was bad last year, hard to believe everything just suddenly clicked so much. It's only one game but bad start. 

That's also a disappointing fist game for Kerstetter. IIRC, he was PFF's top pass blocker a couple years ago at RT

Thanks for the analysis from @Snacks @longhornmatt and @pacman !!!

No doubt that the weakest area of performance against Louisiana was the offensive line play.  Gotta clean this up or problems will show up against better competition.

Really hard to throw downfield if the O-line struggles this much in their protections...

On 9/7/2021 at 10:33 AM, GringoSalado said:

An ordinary QB would have been, Card is pretty hard to blast, guy has good pocket awareness (based on one game). Also, can't remember the Q, but 70's holding call he got way out over his skis, leaning way too far forward while engaging the DE, who easily went around and then Jones grabbed him. Dude almost fell down. I've been watching the replay looking for that hold, and focusing on our LT is not a good experience for me.

On further rewatch the holding call I reference (which was on the JWhit catch out-of-bounds in the end zone 4:30 Q2) isn't as bad as the rest of that drive for the left side. Okafor whiffs completely at 6:25 in Q2 (the Card fumble that ended up being an incomplete)

and a few plays later the LG/LT both whiff (the RoJo jump play)

Very next play is holding on LT.

Then we score anyway but it takes like 7 more plays (pass to Brewer).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, XYZ said:

How is the name Tope Imade pronounced?

19 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Tow Pay E. Mod. A. 

ClubWhatever got it. But you can go to the Texas Football Roster and click the ear shaped icon by a player's name (see red arrows in screenshot below). The popup window shows it and then you can also click the microphone icon to hear an audio recording of it.

Name Pronunciation.jpg

Edited by sith_horn

On our trip to Turks and Caicos, I was wearing a Texas shirt and a guy on the beach started a conversation about Texas football. Turns out he has been a coach in the NFL for 25 years with a lot of them as an offensive line coach. He was not a big fan on Flood. He said it's easy to coach when you have the best, but really didn't see Flood adding a lot to the development. I was surprised to say the least, but he is listed on the NFL team's roster as their offensive line coach.

Opinions are like assholes and such, so take it however you'd like.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On our trip to Turks and Caicos, I was wearing a Texas shirt and a guy on the beach started a conversation about Texas football. Turns out he has been a coach in the NFL for 25 years with a lot of them as an offensive line coach. He was not a big fan on Flood. He said it's easy to coach when you have the best, but really didn't see Flood adding a lot to the development. I was surprised to say the least, but he is listed on the NFL team's roster as their offensive line coach.

It’s the truth though.

I believe it