Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

On 9/25/2021 at 12:37 PM, Burt Macklin said:

I guess Flood told the OL they’re all Art majors now, right @Thatguy

It was obvious what needed to be the staple of our run game. Glad to see the coaches adjusted. 

On 9/26/2021 at 11:34 AM, Bobby_Batronic said:

Or maybe we just understand that running OZ well is a better option than running IZ poorly regardless of the opponent.

Oh noes, we might face an athletic front!!!!!!!! How does we ever account for that????? STFU. You’re on the wrong side of this. It’s been clear which concepts our players can execute well since the end of last year. Same dudes playing this year. Same shit works. And now we have a one cut monster starting at RB.

I personally don’t care what offense we run so long as it works. I am, however, good and damn tired of trying the force things that don’t work in the name of dogmatic BS.

Hey fellas. How much OZ did we run today? That's weird, it's like the coaching staff at The University of By God Texas understands that the best way to attack some teams is to run right at them. Then what did we do late? RPO slant pass for a TD. Why? Because IZ leaves a lot of real estate for those plays to work. Also, we rushed for near 300 yards.

Just now, Thatguy said:

Hey fellas. How much OZ did we run today? That's weird, it's like the coaching staff at The University of By God Texas understands that the best way to attack some teams is to run right at them. Then what did we do late? RPO slant pass for a TD. Why? Because IZ leaves a lot of real estate for those plays to work. Also, we rushed for near 300 yards.

hahaha you're so dumb.  TCU gave up 6 ypc to freaking Cal and 7 ypc to SMU. Of course we could run it on them however we wanted.  

No one said we couldn't run IZ ever.  You're the one who insisted it had to stay the staple of our offense because Sark couln't figure out how to run RPOs or PA if it wasnt.  And we still ran more OZ then we did RPOs off IZ.

So... Jones isn't terrible in the run game, but he still has plays where he puts his hands out and touches... air.

He is aggressive when blocking down, but he can get off balance when reaching or getting thrown aside.  Once he gets into a defender, he's good to go...

On pass block sets, I don't know if he gets confused or if his feet just don't connect with his brain or what...  He lets guys pass his face to the inside, when there is nobody outside of them, as if he's waiting for a T-E twist or something...  He does a decent job of running a defender past the pocket, but he doesn't engage them so, they just curl around him and disrupt the QB... 

I can't quite figure him out... he's *almost* good.... then he's really bad.

I can see why coaches stick with him... but I can see why I wouldn't.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

hahaha you're so dumb.  TCU gave up 6 ypc to freaking Cal and 7 ypc to SMU. Of course we could run it on them however we wanted.  

No one said we couldn't run IZ ever.  You're the one who insisted it had to stay the staple of our offense because Sark couln't figure out how to run RPOs or PA if it wasnt.  And we still ran more OZ then we did RPOs off IZ.

Not what I said, but feel free to move the goalposts. I said it's hard to run RPOs off of OZ because of the traffic flow. I said running play action off of OZ leaves your QB exposed on the back side. I said its better to run right at athletic fronts. I did not say it couldn't be done. I said its more difficult. But you know that..... Imma let it go though.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Edited by Thatguy

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

One might surmise that a defense that is weak up the middle and is defending the perimeter would be susceptible up the the middle. That the threat of our outside attack helped set the table for success inside. Unless you’re that guy. In which case you’d feature IZ, never establish the ability to reach the edge and beat your head against the middle of a defense who’s expecting you to beat your head against the middle of the defense. 

7 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm with you. He's done wonders with the hand he was dealt. They can improve until they get more "support".

I would surmise that they are largely just ok with moments of excellence. Even steaks of it. 

Having Bijan Robinson covers many sins. And we’re going to need to figure out how to move the ball in the air against defenses that can take away Worthy. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If Jones was worried about the DB blitz he needs to call that out to Okafor so Okafor can slide over. He clearly never did that. Not only does he suck at blocking, but he also doesn’t get the mental side of things. 

This.. watching the OL there are so many times that there are simple communication breakdowns. OG/OT both don’t touch a rusher. 1 simple call fixes that, it might not be the perfect call, but at least you get a hat on a hat. Too many times there has been unblocked rushers when OL has numbers 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Kyle motherfucking Flood. Got damned he turned this Oline into something respectable.

It doesn't hurt that Bijan is breaking fools' ankles. 

16 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm with you. He's done wonders with the hand he was dealt. They can improve until they get more "support".

This is a little much, guys. They've improved incrementally but make no mistake, yesterday's success was far more about Bijan consistently turning 0-2 yard runs into much more than anything the OL did. Casey Thompson was not kept particularly clean. Trotting Christian Jones out there is getting indefensible. Look at that absolute whiff on video a couple posts up - that's ultimately on Flood. And while it has been good to see Flood and Sark incorporate more outside zone into the rushing attack the past few weeks, they spent all of fall camp trying to make this an inside power running unit, and got blown the fuck up by Arkansas for that mistake.

The jury is going to remain out on Flood until at least next year. Maybe he'll earn the high praise eventually, but he hasn't to this point.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If Jones was worried about the DB blitz he needs to call that out to Okafor so Okafor can slide over. He clearly never did that. Not only does he suck at blocking, but he also doesn’t get the mental side of things. 

The entire left side is so bad. Hopefully we see some shuffling this week.  How hard would it be to slide Jones into guard, place Karic at Lt, and put DK back at right?

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This is a little much, guys. They've improved incrementally but make no mistake, yesterday's success was far more about Bijan consistently turning 0-2 yard runs into much more than anything the OL did. Casey Thompson was not kept particularly clean. Trotting Christian Jones out there is getting indefensible. Look at that absolute whiff on video a couple posts up - that's ultimately on Flood. And while it has been good to see Flood and Sark incorporate more outside zone into the rushing attack the past few weeks, they spent all of fall camp trying to make this an inside power running unit, and got blown the fuck up by Arkansas for that mistake.

The jury is going to remain out on Flood until at least next year. Maybe he'll earn the high praise eventually, but he hasn't to this point.

Pretty much this. Our run game success was all on Bijan. Our OL was pretty shit yesterday, especially the left side. 

Flood’s still not doing a good job. Jones shouldn’t be playing and these guys are still making mental mistakes constantly. Our pass pro was god awful. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

As a guy jokingly said who I was watching the game with, Bijan had 216 yard rushing, 199 after first contact. 

But seriously, if you look at how many times out of those 35 carries he had a defender in front of him at, or before, the line of scrimmage, it felt like about 80%. He was just incredibly evasive. 

Someone help me here, what made anyone believe the oline did anything but watch Bijan make 700 jump cuts and 300 broken tackles to gain any yards at all? How can anyone watch that and think they were good?

There is some Tom Herman our oline is as good as anyone in the country level stuff getting posted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The entire left side is so bad. Hopefully we see some shuffling this week.  How hard would it be to slide Jones into guard, place Karic at Lt, and put DK back at right?

That, or Conner at LG. I don't see how either wouldn't be an improvement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Would be nice to hire an OL coach that has a proven success with lower ranked guys and making them a good unit and player development. Bama is still continuing their dominance in the trenches without Flood...

You mean like hiring a guy that put together good OLs at Rutgers and parlayed that into a HC job? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I kinda-sorta-but-not-really see why Flood plays Jones. It's like me and golf. I've only played a handful of times, don't particularly enjoy it, and suck at it. But I made just enough good shots that my competitiveness kicked in and I wanted to play again because I knew I could do better. In reality, I probably would have sucked just as much no matter how much I played. Flood has to look at Jones and think the same thing. Jones has all the tools and does just enough that Flood wants another shot at making Jones better. So far, I'm better at golf than Jones is at left tackle.

• Haha 1