Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Not sure where this Connor love has come from. Only one player was responsible for a sack in the Spring game between Connors and Jones and it wasnt Jones. Jones did give up a pressure on an inside rush. That play ended with Card in the end zone on a 20 yard scramble, probably because it was a ridiculously undisciplined pass rush. Connor got a lot of help in the spring game with RBs and chips. Banks is the key. I did not see anyone on the field during the spring game that looked like a solid option at LT. 

Who would fare better at RT, Conner or Jones?  I have no idea.  I do know that Jones was terrible at LT and looked average at best at RT when he previously played there before switching to LT.  I think you let them two battle it out at RT.  Conner could play RG as well but I think you have to get Campbell on the field.  Unfortunately, I don't see anyone supplanting Majors right now.  Majors would be a very good center if he could simply get stronger and bigger.  He cannot hold up against bigger NTs.  

16 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Who would fare better at RT, Conner or Jones?  I have no idea.  I do know that Jones was terrible at LT and looked average at best at RT when he previously played there before switching to LT.  I think you let them two battle it out at RT.  Conner could play RG as well but I think you have to get Campbell on the field.  Unfortunately, I don't see anyone supplanting Majors right now.  Majors would be a very good center if he could simply get stronger and bigger.  He cannot hold up against bigger NTs.  

Theoretically Jones should be much better at RT than he was two years ago. Development and all.

Hopefully there really is a new emphasis on strength in the S&C program that helps Majors. We shall see if that was bs or not.

25 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I dont really know. Just pointing out that Conner did not do much in the Spring game. I dont think Jones did anything great.  TO be honest both playing well is not surprising. Facing the 2nd team Texas DL (especially edge) is not a great barometer. 

LT- Just throw bodies at the position. Basically every freshmen, except the Hutson and Robertson, should start at LT for camp. Slowly cull the herd. 

RT- not that worried. I think Texas an get mediocre play out of this spot with the bodies at hand

Guard: should be at least mediocre

Center: They are not replacing Majors, but I would not mind seeing one of the more talented Freshmen moved here after they get kicked off LT island. 

Edited by Codaxx

On 5/4/2022 at 4:42 PM, Codaxx said:

cant believe how many times I see that sh!t. Defense is like 90th in pts per drive, while the offense was 25th. That is with shitty QB, WR, and TE play and only thing the team did at a decent level was run the ball, but yeah it was all the OLs fault. 

The ol can be average at run blocking and  puke down  their shirts pass blocking at the same time. Those 2 things are not mutually exclusive. 

Edited by Gidnik

On 5/13/2022 at 6:32 AM, Royale with cheese said:

OL eval and development is hard. Alabama's post-spring training depth chart shows both Brockermeyers running third string. Either they aren't as good as expected or 'Bama's so damn loaded they can't crack the two-deep. Not a knock on those guys, per se; I wanted them here so bad I could taste it, and I'd take them in the portal faster'n a cat can lick its ass. I guess we should keep in mind that OL procurement/composition is far from an exact science. 

Fuck the Brock’s for all the shit they talked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The ol can be average at run blocking and  puke down  their shirts pass blocking at the same time. Those 2 things are not mutually exclusive. 

So being top 20 in the country in most run game line stats equals average?

I know I’m just pissing down my leg, but it’s been a slow day.

18 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Not sure where this Connor love has come from. Only one player was responsible for a sack in the Spring game between Connors and Jones and it wasnt Jones. Jones did give up a pressure on an inside rush. That play ended with Card in the end zone on a 20 yard scramble, probably because it was a ridiculously undisciplined pass rush. Connor got a lot of help in the spring game with RBs and chips. Banks is the key. I did not see anyone on the field during the spring game that looked like a solid option at LT. 

Probably from watching Christian Jones be complete dog shit last year. 

10 hours ago, Gidnik said:

Not really the point. OL had its issue, nobody has argued agianst, but it also produced at moments. Unlike the QB those moments were just defense that ranked in the 100s. Not to mention the defense was far worse. It Ok to recognize the good and the bad.  Dont worry, I will get used to Surly's incessant need to shit on every position and ever player at every opportunity. 

Edited by Codaxx

23 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

End of this video (10:40 mark), Bobby said coaches can be with players a total of 2hrs/wk coaching on the field,  and 2hrs/wk coaching in meetings.

So to answer your question, Flood has 2hrs/wk total coaching on the field to use how he wants.  (He can not have 2hr individual sessions for 4 or 5 players a week.)

Used to be that wearing a black ring, particularly on the wedding ring finger, was a signal to others at your party/bar/scrip club that you were up for sexual jiggery-pokery. Having a hard time believing anyone would pick this ugly motherfucker as someone one would want to sidle up to. 

For those that are worried about the OL.  Banks and Campbell are the type of recruits that Bama, UGA, LSU fight over.  Thank goodness for horns with hearts, having Flood, and great timing with Cristoball leaving Oregon bc those 2 are going to be starting by mid season.   

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for this info goes to @OB3 

Wells was listing height and weight for incoming lineman

• Banks 6’5 320
  • Campbell 6’4 317
  • Williams 6’6 350
  • Robertson 6’4 302
  • Neto 6’4 285   (they had him that back in the fall, and he looks a lot bigger than that now unless he was below that in the fall)

Don’t think he said anything on Agbo

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

• Banks 6’5 320
  • Campbell 6’4 317
  • Williams 6’6 350
  • Robertson 6’4 302
  • Neto 6’4 285   (they had him that back in the fall, and he looks a lot bigger than that now unless he was below that in the fall)

Williams is the guy that worried me. 350 is below expectations. I was worried he would come in at like 380-400 range. that is good news

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Williams is the guy that worried me. 350 is below expectations. I was worried he would come in at like 380-400 range. that is good news

Looks pretty damn trim here. This was posted 6 days ago, no idea when it was taken.

EAD71465-3496-4722-8EA6-0C80B70B9F1C.thumb.jpeg.55bf56bd5cca808f3a6e10b4371b87b4.jpeg

This Cam Williams talk reminds me of the story Gerry Hamilton shared earlier this year about how he was at a Duncanville game last year and was talking with Mario Cristobal and the Oregon OL coach at the game. They both said they thought Williams, not Campbell or Banks, had the highest upside of any OL in the state.

Edited by Hookem2147

41 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This Cam Williams talk reminds me of the story Gerry Hamilton shared earlier this year about how he was at a Duncanville game last year and was talking with Mario Cristobal and the Oregon OL coach at the game. They both said they thought Williams, not Campbell or Banks, had the highest upside of any OL in the state.

Always been on the heavy side. Those guys make me nervous. Kid has done a great job of getting to a solid weight. 

1 hour ago, Nope said:

Looks pretty damn trim here. This was posted 6 days ago, no idea when it was taken.

EAD71465-3496-4722-8EA6-0C80B70B9F1C.thumb.jpeg.55bf56bd5cca808f3a6e10b4371b87b4.jpeg

Your definition of trim and mine are not the same.. Just joking, he looks solid. Kid has done a good job of getting to a functional weight. I think people under-estimate this kid.  I just get nervous about kids that were over-weight and those 6 months between high school football ends and College camp begins. I was wrong. 

Looks like some people are so used to the 260 lb OL Herman liked to recruit that we’ve forgotten that football is a game of moving people.  Give me the 350lb behemoth.  We’ve already seen what our current small OL looked like again Arkansas.  Flood likes bigger guys for a reason.  I think it’s probably easier to get a guy like Cam Williams to lose weight than get a guy like Karic or Majors to put on weight.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, victory88 said:

Looks like some people are so used to the 260 lb OL Herman liked to recruit that we’ve forgotten that football is a game of moving people.  Give me the 350lb behemoth.  We’ve already seen what our current small OL looked like again Arkansas.  Flood likes bigger guys for a reason.  I think it’s probably easier to get a guy like Cam Williams to lose weight than get a guy like Karic or Majors to put on weight.

WTF?? Talking about a single kid that was up around 380 pounds about a year ago and HAD to lose weight. The fear was based on the individual kid's history. It has nothing to do with 260 pound Herman OL. 

Edited by Codaxx

• 3 weeks later...

Thx for this info @oldhorn2

A couple of practice notes from TFB . . . . 

Devon Campbell brought his lunch pale to Austin with him. He's really impressing. He is the fastest OL we have, true athlete. Both he and Banks are standing out with their athleticism, which Texas has not had in years.

Cam Williams has been working over the summer. He is down below 360 now.

Connor Robertson, TFB says, will one day take over the center position. When he does, he'll be the most athletic center we've had in a while. Needs to spend more time in the weight room though.

Encouraging feedback on Cole Hutson and Hayden Connor. Connor will see lots of PT this season. Hutson is now almost 6'5 and 320 lbs.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Devon Campbell brought his lunch pale to Austin with him. He's really impressing. He is the fastest OL we have, true athlete. Both he and Banks are standing out with their athleticism, which Texas has not had in years.

Connor Robertson, TFB says, will one day take over the center position. When he does, he'll be the most athletic center we've had in a while. Needs to spend more time in the weight room though.

Encouraging feedback on Cole Hutson and Hayden Connor. Connor will see lots of PT this season. Hutson is now almost 6'5 and 320 lbs.

hey...my stolen stories are your stolen stories....

• Haha 2

On 7/1/2022 at 7:31 PM, LTtxfan said:

I’m hoping for Banks-Angilau-Robertson-Campbell-Connor come the ou game 

33 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

This was found by @Getafix 

I'm excited about this group of freshmen, and our current commitments for the 2023 class, but notice what Georgia and Alabama did. They followed up all-time great classes with another one two years later. Georgia had what was the best class ever in 2018 and then topped it in 2020. Bama did the same in 2019 followed by 2021.

If we keep bringing in at least 4-5 great OL prospects every year (and develop them!) we will finally have the kind of offensive line with depth that we have always wanted.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/30/2022 at 10:09 PM, LTtxfan said:

• Banks 6’5 320
  • Campbell 6’4 317
  • Williams 6’6 350
  • Robertson 6’4 302

I’d be cool with Robertson starting over majors come conference play. Something like Banks-Angilua-Robertson-Campbell-Conner would be ideal. 

Not to mention getting 4 of those dudes valuable reps as underclassmen 

11 hours ago, Fletch said:

I’d be cool with Robertson starting over majors come conference play. Something like Banks-Angilua-Robertson-Campbell-Conner would be ideal. 

Not to mention getting 4 of those dudes valuable reps as underclassmen 

If there's one OL that it's reasonable to expect them to be notably better than they were last year, it's Jake Majors. He was always a guy that was going to need multiple years of college S&C to be ready to play on the interior. Throw in a coaching/scheme change for good measure and he is a guy that really would not have been on the field as a RS FR at a program with a healthy OL room. Alas, that did not describe Texas.

He has the mobility you look for at center. Experience and scheme knowledge is more important there than at other OL positions. I expect him to be better after another year in the weight room and consistency of scheme/coaching. I would be pretty surprised if Connor Robertson is a better option as a true freshman, non EE.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

If there's one OL that it's reasonable to expect them to be notably better than they were last year, it's Jake Majors. He was always a guy that was going to need multiple years of college S&C to be ready to play on the interior. Throw in a coaching/scheme change for good measure and he is a guy that really would not have been on the field as a RS FR at a program with a healthy OL room. Alas, that did not describe Texas.

He has the mobility you look for at center. Experience and scheme knowledge is more important there than at other OL positions. I expect him to be better after another year in the weight room and consistency of scheme/coaching. I would be pretty surprised if Connor Robertson is a better option as a true freshman, non EE.

I was going to say that Majors issue was strength. Usually a freshmen beats out older players based on athleticism, it’s rare they come in with a stronger base (not impossible, but rare)

whenever I think about majors I think about that play from his high school hudl where he pulls from left tackle and commits first degree murder on that poor unsuspecting soul waiting on the other side.  it’d be nice to see that from him in burnt orange at some point. 

Cross-post -- Thx for this @BurntOrange&White

Predicting Texas' season-opening, season-ending offensive line

Eric Nahlin•     July 12th, 2022

Untitled-design-2022-07-11T164821.470.pn

(Photo by John Rivera/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

This is the year before the year in large part due to the offensive line. Offensive skill players give Texas a chance to make waves and hang points on anyone, but the O-line, along with concerns on defense, likely put a firm ceiling on the season at around 10 wins.

While the true freshman offensive line class garners most of the headlines, outside of Junior Angilau and Christian Jones, this is a young and inexperienced line. Alas, there is talent to work with, and as we’ve learned countless times before, there’s an intersection where talented inexperience trumps limited yet experienced players. Where those points meet at each position will be one of the big subplots of the season, e.g., how soon can Kelvin Banks, Devon Campbell, or Cameron Williams beat out older players?

Before you get into predictions of who will start and where, it’s important to mention what players can do, starting with their best fit first. Getting the best five in the right position is a key to maximizing offensive line play. This was a lacking element throughout the lost decade but it is an issue that will be properly addressed by the end of this season.

Roster

SR Junior Angilau: OG
SR Christian Jones: OG, RT, LT
SO Andrej Karic: RT, LT, OC, OG
SO Jake Majors: OC
SO Hayden Conner: OG, RT, LT
SO Jaylen Garth: RT, LT
SO Sawyer Goram-Welch: OG, OC
RS FR Logan Parr: OG, OC
RS FR Max Merril: OG
FR Cole Hutson: OG, OC
FR Kelvin Banks: LT, RT
FR Cameron Williams: RT, OG, LT
FR Devon Campbell: OG, RT
FR Neto Umeozulu: OG, RT
FR Connor Robertson: OC, OG
FR Malik Agbo: OG, RT

If you agree with that assessment, you’ll see there is a surplus of everything except left tackle. It’s not a matter of if, but when Banks wins that tackle spot. I’m not sure it will be for the first game, though that’s my inkling as of now.

To start the season…

• LT Kelvin Banks
  • LG Junior Angilau
  • OC Jake Majors
  • RG Hayden Conner
  • RT Christian Jones

Alternatively, Conner could play left tackle, or they could flip him and Jones given Jones is a much better run blocker than pass blocker. I think if they were going to do that, though, they would have showed it in the spring.

You want Banks paired with a complementary, experienced part, but I’m not 100% sure you’d prefer Angilau next to Banks over Conner. But you can’t really put Angilau and Jones next to each other unless you’re just going to run it all day long, and we know that’s not going to be the case.

To end the season…

• LT Kelvin Banks
  • LG Junior Angilau
  • OC Jake Majors
  • RG Hayden Conner
  • RT Cam Williams 

That’s a big line, with Angilau being the smallest non-center.

As hard as it is to not list Campbell as a starting guard it’s harder for me to see the staff sitting Angilau or Conner. Campbell will play, but will he start? Not 100% sure as of now.

This is by far the hardest this errand has ever been to run. Not only have I contemplated listing Campbell as a starter, but also Hutson and Umeozulu. I also contemplated having Karic listed as starting the season at left tackle.

Conner is the player who makes this exercise most difficult. He’s going to play, but it could be at either guard or either tackle spot. It’s not unrealistic he could start the first game at left tackle or right guard. That’s not a common occurrence. 

This season followed by spring ball will provide us with a lot of clarity for the line going forward, but as of right now, this is, indeed, a fool’s errand.

• Hook 'Em 1