Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

37 minutes ago, WBT said:

Jones is out of eligibility after this year right?  I was really hoping one of the freshmen would be playing by now.  Credit to him and Flood for improving but he's still not good.

on the play when Ewers fell down the defender blew through a double team like they were 10 year old girls, was it Jones and Hutson?

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Should be a lot more criticism of the terrible performance by the Texas O-line against tcu.

Our O-line... SHIT THE BED !!!

Yep, other than JWhitt, basically every player and unit on offense share in the blame for last night. Sanders did get a bit more reliable after his early drops, but those were killers. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Should be a lot more criticism of the terrible performance by the Texas O-line against tcu.

This. Everyone wants to blame Sark and QE but the O-line easily had their worst game of the year. It was shades of last year. Truly horrid except for Banks IMHO. Will be interesting to see the PFF grades, should be very telling.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Yep, other than JWhitt, basically every player and unit on offense share in the blame for last night. Sanders did get a bit more reliable after his early drops, but those were killers. 

Even JWhitt. He ran his route 1 yard short to end the first half and had a pass bounce off his chest in the end zone. This was complete failure for the offense. It would be hard to find an offensive player that didn’t contribute to this disaster 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Even JWhitt. He ran his route 1 yard short to end the first half and had a pass bounce off his chest in the end zone. This was complete failure for the offense. It would be hard to find an offensive player that didn’t contribute to this disaster 

just no excuse for that route, no fucking excuse

19 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Good point, I had forgotten about those. 

18 hours ago, hookem48 said:

Ewers sucked ass but there were so many failures by offensive guys last night it was hard to believe.

it was a debacle. You could say this game was lost on Monday/Tuesday, because whatever Sark installed was clearly inferior to what the TCU DC installed. 

• Like 1

A few numbers.

Ewers dropped back 43 times. Pressured 8 times with time to throw at 3.06 on those pressures. 3 drops. At least two 1st downs but not sure either was 3rd down.

Duggan dropped back 35 times. Pressured 11 times with 3.22 to throw. 3 drops. I’d guess at least two of those were 3rd downs that would have been 1sts.

Duggan got rid of the ball at 1.75 when not pressured due largely to 12 passes behind the LOS. Ewers at 2.28 with only 8 behind the LOS.

Assuming all those passes were called behind the LOS, Duggan was pressured on 11 of 23 drop-backs (17 passes). Ewers pressured on 8 of 35 dropbacks (32 passes).

From IT:

We’re getting closer to having conversations surrounding the portal, but we’re not quite there yet. With the season ongoing timing is sensitive. But, in asking about next year’s offensive line we heard Junior Angilau is expected to return. We also heard the only player guaranteed to start in the same spot is Kelvin Banks. Spring ball will feature intense competition.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/13/2022 at 11:23 AM, LTtxfan said:

Blasted o-line early in video...

Hayden, Jones, and right guard play just terrible...

On 11/13/2022 at 12:19 PM, LTtxfan said:

On 11/13/2022 at 12:46 PM, Longhornlove said:

This. Everyone wants to blame Sark and QE but the O-line easily had their worst game of the year. It was shades of last year. Truly horrid except for Banks IMHO. Will be interesting to see the PFF grades, should be very telling.

The OL did play terrible, but I put a lot of the blame on Sark. TCU lined up in drop eight and then had their front sell out to stop the run. Sark played right into their hands and gave our OL a very difficult job for 3 quarters. It wasn’t until we started hitting WR screens that we forced the defense to back off and then everything improved. If Sark wasn’t so befuddled by the drop 8 D, our OL would’ve looked a lot better all game. 

On 11/13/2022 at 1:36 PM, hookem48 said:

Ewers sucked ass but there were so many failures by offensive guys last night it was hard to believe.

Yeah, there wasn’t a single guy on offense who was ready to play that game. When every single person is playing terrible, I put that on the coaching first and foremost. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

From IT:
We’re getting closer to having conversations surrounding the portal, but we’re not quite there yet. With the season ongoing timing is sensitive. But, in asking about next year’s offensive line we heard Junior Angilau is expected to return. We also heard the only player guaranteed to start in the same spot is Kelvin Banks. Spring ball will feature intense competition.

Angilau went through senior day ceremonies so I would think he is gone. I’m sure there will be “competition,” but most coaches would not displace a two year starter at center in Majors. Will believe that when I see it.

Obviously there’s a hole to fill at tackle with Jones leaving, and neither guard played so well that you’d think they’ve totally locked it up; plus I know they’ve worked Conner at tackle before, they may rep him at RT - though to be that would seem to be Cam Williams’s intended position. And then of course there’s Hutson’s injury today.

Still plenty of intrigue to follow even if it’s most likely to end up with at least three of the four returning starters in the lineup (Hutson being most likely to lose a spot between play and injury).

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Angilau went through senior day ceremonies so I would think he is gone. I’m sure there will be “competition,” but most coaches would not displace a two year starter at center in Majors. Will believe that when I see it.

Obviously there’s a hole to fill at tackle with Jones leaving, and neither guard played so well that you’d think they’ve totally locked it up; plus I know they’ve worked Conner at tackle before, they may rep him at RT - though to be that would seem to be Cam Williams’s intended position. And then of course there’s Hutson’s injury today.

Still plenty of intrigue to follow even if it’s most likely to end up with at least three of the four returning starters in the lineup (Hutson being most likely to lose a spot between play and injury).

I really think majors is on the hot seat. He really hasn’t progressed that much and I feel like this game was a first where he didn’t have an offside’s penalty. Its going to be a fun offseason to see how the Oline shapes out. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If we only we had the 2 transfer OL like Baylor. We would have gone 6-6 just like them, right? @JFKFC

Also, DJ Campbell is going to be a monster next year.

We would have had a much better year if we had taken a functional o-line starter or two from the portal at any point the last couple of off-seasons, just like Baylor or TCU or Michigan or Alabama or......(the list goes on). No one on this board champions mediocrity like you. 

Also, while DJ Campbell is a big boy, after having essentially a full season under his belt, I am very concerned about his inability to make the right decision realated to pass-blocking assignments. 

• Fuck You 4

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yep Campbell starts next year.  I could see Conner playing the role Karic played this year next year.

Conner has been slightly better than Majors and Hutson overall. The latter two seemed the most likely to be replaced. Unfortunately, the injury to Hutson didn’t look good and might make the picture clearer with Campbell at RG. If Angilau comes back he will be competing with Majors at C and Conner is probably safe unless someone like Neto just takes a huge leap.

5 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

We would have had a much better year if we had taken a functional o-line starter or two from the portal at any point the last couple of off-seasons, just like Baylor or TCU or Michigan or Alabama or......(the list goes on). No one on this board champions mediocrity like you. 

Also, while DJ Campbell is a big boy, after having essentially a full season under his belt, I am very concerned about his inability to make the right decision realated to pass-blocking assignments. 

This seems dumb. A grad transfer OL maybe adds 1 more win. 

Now we have a lot of young guys getting experience and sets up nicely for next year. It also minimizes the potential of transfers. I understood the idea of adding a grad transfer OL but I think this played out perfectly for Texas long-term. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I really think majors is on the hot seat. He really hasn’t progressed that much and I feel like this game was a first where he didn’t have an offside’s penalty. Its going to be a fun offseason to see how the Oline shapes out. 

I agree that Majors has not progressed as I’d have hoped and he probably is what he is at this point.

Still, again, I find it hard to believe they’ll voluntarily bench what will be 27 starts at center, 25 in this system, after the bowl game. Not to mention countless practice, camp, and spring reps as the number one center. Experience does matter at that position and coaches tend to be conservative with that sort of thing in general.

Note that I’m not arguing he should be above replacement. I just think there’s going to be a lot of value placed on his experience with a young unit overall.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Campbell is extremely inexperienced.  Pretty sure he played a lot on both offense and defense in high school.  His ceiling is high, he is extremely athletic,  but he needs a lot more seasoning.

Tremendous Raw Talent

13 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I agree that Majors has not progressed as I’d have hoped and he probably is what he is at this point.

Still, again, I find it hard to believe they’ll voluntarily bench what will be 27 starts at center, 25 in this system, after the bowl game. Not to mention countless practice, camp, and spring reps as the number one center. Experience does matter at that position and coaches tend to be conservative with that sort of thing in general.

Note that I’m not arguing he should be above replacement. I just think there’s going to be a lot of value placed on his experience with a young unit overall.

Oh no I agree with you completely. Experience is big. I just think he’s going to have to fend off the young bucks that are going to push him hard. 

Edited by Levi

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't get the worry with Campbell. He was already a big improvement in the run game. 

My takeaway from this game was that Campbell needs to work on things in pass pro but the OL also has a much higher ceiling with him starting. 

Agree. Freshmen make mistakes. Aranda caught the OL several times with stunts/blitzes. The more you play the more aware. Takes a little experience to realize that if your guy vacates the area, someone else is going to replace him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I might be in the minority in this board, but I'm not giving up on Majors. I can remember back to Dom Espinoza getting pushed around for a 1st and 2nd year before growing into his strength and becoming a solid center his 3rd and 4th year (before he got hurt). People were calling for him to be replaced his sophomore year too, but the fact is that Center requires tons between the ears, and that comes first. If you can ride out the early mistakes and watch the guy become a stronger, more stout 3rd year starter, the dividends could really hit. Looking forward to DJ playing a lot next year too. Angilau comes back we really might be trouble up front. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I might be in the minority in this board, but I'm not giving up on Majors. I can remember back to Dom Espinoza getting pushed around for a 1st and 2nd year before growing into his strength and becoming a solid center his 3rd and 4th year (before he got hurt). People were calling for him to be replaced his sophomore year too, but the fact is that Center requires tons between the ears, and that comes first. If you can ride out the early mistakes and watch the guy become a stronger, more stout 3rd year starter, the dividends could really hit. Looking forward to DJ playing a lot next year too. Angilau comes back we really might be trouble up front. 

I think they are pretty good comp. I don’t think Majors is terrible, but he doesn’t fit what Sark and Flood want to do. I was hoping Major would add strength and become a bigger force int he run game. He could prove me wrong next year and I hope he does, but at this point I don’t think he will develop into a guy that can displace DL. He is athletic and cover guys up, but winning the LOS is tough for him 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s okay to admit you were wrong

If we had taken 2 functional o-linemen from the transfer portal and Sark focused more on the run game throughout the season at crucial times I really believe we'd be undefeated (or with  1 loss)and playing in the Big 12 title game.

• Hook 'Em 1

Went to YouTube and watched the highlights and on the second to last drive, the Rojo hurdle TD, Campbell drives back Siaki Ika on one run play on the drive.  Don't think he was 100% healthy this game, but that's still a mammoth DT.

Was Campbell the guy that got the pancake close to where Rojo landed?

If Angilau comes back:

1st string: Banks, Angilau, Majors, Campbell, Conner

2nd string: Karic, Hutson, Neto, Agbo, Williams

If Angilau doesn’t come back it probably makes sense to go get one interior portal guy.  Either way the OL should be a major strength next season.

Edited by Snake Diggity

18 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yep Campbell starts next year.  I could see Conner playing the role Karic played this year next year.

Conner isn't athletic enough for LG, he definitely isn't athletic enough for the role Karic has played this year. He's a good depth guy, still better than Bryce Foster, but he's very limited laterally.

He's also weaker at the PoA than I expected for a guy as massive as he is

Edited by Atticus

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

If Angilau doesn’t come back it probably makes sense to go get one interior portal guy.  Either way the OL should be a major strength next season.

I would be shocked if we go to the portal for OL. I think Flood likes his guys and will roll with what we have--which should be pretty damn good next year and dominant in 2024. He's building this the right way. 

On 11/25/2022 at 5:27 PM, JFKFC said:

If we had taken 2 functional o-linemen from the transfer portal and Sark focused more on the run game throughout the season at crucial times I really believe we'd be undefeated (or with  1 loss)and playing in the Big 12 title game.

If we don’t lose Junior, then we likely go 10-2 or maybe 11-1. That was a huge blow along with Neyor. 

• Hook 'Em 1