Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

No. He will the starting at one of the guard spots. The most likely starting 5 will be Banks, Campbell, Majors, Huston, Williams.

I am not sure about that and I really don’t care. I think the Texas OL has reached a level of competence (setting aside the Baylor Pass pro). Right now I think Banks is the only guaranteed starter for next year. I would probably put Campbell next. I think there will be plenty of camp battles on the OL during spring/fall camp. Guys shifting positions. That is a good thing. It will be battles of competence, instead of the usual “who the fuck are we going to stick there” battles that have plagued Texas for the last decade 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Is there any word on Hutson's injury? If he misses winter conditioning + spring ball, he is the most likely candidate for replacement.

I believe IT said it was a sprain, but I believe they said he will be getting as MRI. So it wasn’t definitive 

On 11/25/2022 at 4:09 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't get the worry with Campbell. He was already a big improvement in the run game. 

My takeaway from this game was that Campbell needs to work on things in pass pro but the OL also has a much higher ceiling with him starting. 

That's a bit of an understatement.  Don't tell anyone in the Ewers thread, but I think Campbell was the biggest reason we completely stopped throwing late.  He was mauling in the run game though.

On 11/25/2022 at 5:33 PM, Jkwellborn said:

Was Campbell the guy that got the pancake close to where Rojo landed?

That was Jones.  He did a good job on that play pulling around Sanders and setting the edge.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, WBT said:

That's a bit of an understatement.  Don't tell anyone in the Ewers thread, but I think Campbell was the biggest reason we completely stopped throwing late.  He was mauling in the run game though.

That was Jones.  He did a good job on that play pulling around Sanders and setting the edge.

I looked at some of the big plays and Texas protection really broke down. It wasnt just Campbell. He wasnt in on the safety. Aranda had their heads spinning. 

On 11/25/2022 at 3:53 PM, JFKFC said:

We would have had a much better year if we had taken a functional o-line starter or two from the portal at any point the last couple of off-seasons, just like Baylor or TCU or Michigan or Alabama or......(the list goes on). No one on this board champions mediocrity like you. 

Also, while DJ Campbell is a big boy, after having essentially a full season under his belt, I am very concerned about his inability to make the right decision realated to pass-blocking assignments. 

south park beat a dead horse GIF

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I looked at some of the big plays and Texas protection really broke down. It wasnt just Campbell. He wasnt in on the safety. Aranda had their heads spinning. 

Oh I agree.  And the sack/fumble in the 4th quarter wss on Karic.  I just think him having to come in and giving up pressure right away may have been the last straw for Sark to abandon the pass in the 4th.

On one of the post-game podcasts, Wells said he expects Conner to move to RT, Hutson to LG, and Campbell at RG. I think that’s just speculation though, and expect Cam Williams to get every opportunity to win the RT spot next year. It will be interesting to see if Hutson loses a starting spot once the advantages of his head start as an EE wear off and some of the summer 2022’s catch up. We shall see with Conner, he may end up being that 6th man that knows 4 positions well and is the first guy off the bench at all of them if there is an injury. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

So last night….remind me….Campbell was playing RG all night, because…..Hayden Conner got hurt vs Baylor? Too many damn similarly named OL for me to keep straight

Cole Hutson was the one who got hurt, but he was back last night. Hutson started at RG and Campbell rotated in.

*Finally, there’s a good chance Christian Jones will return to the program. Word is his draft grade wasn’t what he’d hope and he believes he can improve it by utilizing his Covid year.

---------------------------------------------

If Christian Jones comes back, the entire 2022 starting O-line is returning.    But I expect we'll see some starters either switching positions, or losing their jobs.

(Example is Christian Jones might be moving to a guard position to help him get ready for the NFL.  I also won't be surprised to see Hayden Conner gets a lot more reps at right tackle along with Cam Williams during the spring.)  

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

*Finally, there’s a good chance Christian Jones will return to the program. Word is his draft grade wasn’t what he’d hope and he believes he can improve it by utilizing his Covid year.

If Christian Jones comes back, the entire 2022 starting O-line is returning.    But I expect we'll see some starters either switching positions, or losing their jobs.

(Example is Christian Jones might be moving to a guard position to help him get ready for the NFL.  I also won't be surprised to see Hayden Conner gets a lot more reps at right tackle along with Cam Williams during the spring.)  

Good, let's see the competition. Banks should be the only returner guaranteed to start day 1 on the OL.

• Hook 'Em 1

Kyle Flood received an amazing amount of freshman talent last year. Even when freshmen are that talented, it's usually inadvisable to have them play right away. It's usually a sign of pure desperation, and the results are usually poor. Kelvin Banks not only started on the OL, he did so at LT. Over the course of a season, you can count his mistakes almost on one hand. This just doesn't happen.

All that to say that the rest of the OL class could easily be ready for their own moments next year. Between classes and game plan installs, it's just usually not possible for the OL coach to diagnose and fix mechanical mistakes. That's done in spring and fall camps. Some heralded names that we cooed over last December could easily get called again this September.

I want those OLines where you go for it on 4th and 1 and just trust that they'll shove the defense back 2 yards. It's an optimistic goal for next season, but we're closer than we've been in a decade or more.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT said Cole Hutson recently had surgery to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder. He will likely be out for spring ball.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

And they just added Connor Robertson will also miss the spring with a shoulder injury

Have to develop depth on OL.  So easy for some of them to miss games.

Hutson's previous injury this past season:

Texas Longhorns right guard Cole Hutson suffered an ankle injury in the second half of Friday’s win over the Baylor Bears, head coach Steve Sarkisian said on Monday. The news avoids the worst-scenario of a scary injury that happened when Hutson was rolled up on by another offensive lineman and resulted in the freshman remaining down on the field for several minutes and required a cart to transport him off the field.

Cole’s got an ankle sprain,” Sarkisian said. “You guys know sometimes they take longer than others, but I anticipate having him back ready to go for the bowl game.”

Source: Texas freshman offensive lineman Cole Hutson recovering from shoulder surgery

By  FUCK CHIP BROWN    .  53 min ago

Texas freshman offensive lineman Cole Hutson not only started all 13 games for the Longhorns at right guard during the 2022 season, but he did so with a torn labrum in his right shoulder.

Hutson had surgery on Monday to repair the injury, and the surgery, performed by Dr. Douglas Elenz of Austin Sports Medicine and Orthopedics, was considered a success, Horns247 was told.

Hutson will miss spring football and will likely be out until May.  Hutson actually suffered the shoulder injury in high school and purposely put off surgery as an early enrollee at Texas last year, so he could jump right into workouts last spring. He performed well enough as an early enrollee in spring football last year that he played through the 2022 season with the injury, wearing a shoulder harness underneath his pads, knowing he’d have surgery in the off-season, according to a source close to the situation.

According to Pro Football Focus, Hutson played 781 snaps this season and gave up one sack, four quarterback hits and 19 pressures with four penalties. His best pass-blocking grades came against Alabama (77.1), West Virginia (74.4), Oklahoma State (73.3) and Iowa State (70.4). Hutson's best run-blocking grades came against Kansas (67.0), TCU (64.6), Alabama (63.4) and Oklahoma State (61.7). His three highest-graded games overall were against West Virginia (63.6), Kansas (63) and Alabama (62.7).

Needless to say, Hutson has already shown his coaches and teammates how tough and selfless he is. Now, he's looking forward to being completely healthy heading into next season.

With Hutson (6-5, 305) missing spring practice, it will mean more opportunity at guard for rising second-year offensive linemen DJ Campbell (6-3, 323) and Neto Umeozulu (6-4, 306).

Hutson, who can also play center, was the only early enrollee among Texas' ballyhooed, seven-member 2022 offensive line recruiting haul, which included Kelvin Banks (6-4, 330), the nation's top offensive tackle, and Campbell, the nation's top interior lineman, as well as Umeozulu, Cameron Williams (6-5, 364), Malik Agbo (6-4, 339) and Connor Robertson (6-4, 307). Like Hutson, Banks started the entire season at left tackle, earning second-team All-Big 12 honors from the league coaches.

Texas will also have four early enrollee freshmen offensive linemen going through spring football from UT's No. 3-ranked 2023 recruiting class: Jaydon Chatman (6-4, 305), Andre Cojoe (6-6, 353) Payton Kirkland (6-6, 370) and Connor Stroh (6-7, 355). All of those early enrollees are already on campus and will begin winter conditioning on Monday

Source: Texas freshman offensive lineman Connor Robertson recovering from post-season surgery (wrist)

By. FUCK CHIP BROWN        106 min ago

Texas freshman offensive lineman Connor Robertson is recovering from postseason surgery on his left wrist, a source told Horns247.

Robertson, UT's backup center behind starter Jake Majors, suffered the injury during the season but was able to hold off on having surgery until after Texas' appearance in the Alamo Bowl against Washington, the source said. Robertson is expected to recover in time for spring football, the source said.

Robertson joins freshman offensive lineman Cole Hutson and running back Jonathon Brooks as Longhorns recovering from post-season surgeries. Hutson had surgery Monday to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder and will miss spring football, while Brooks had hernia surgery earlier this month and is expected to return for some part of spring ball.

An Austin Westlake product, Robertson was able to redshirt in 2022 by playing in only four games - against Louisiana-Monroe, Oklahoma, Baylor and in the Alamo Bowl. According to Pro Football Focus, Robertson played 30 snaps of offense at center - 20 snaps against Louisiana-Monroe and 10 in a 49-0 blowout of OU. Robertson's snaps against Baylor and Washington were on special teams.

Robertson received a grade of 76.1 from PFF for his pass blocking on seven snaps in the ULM game.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Connor-Robertson-recovering-from-post-season-surgery-202872239/

Edited by LTtxfan