Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

18 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

If you call the fact that the DT hit Rojo 1 yard behind a stalemate, than sure the guy that tackled Rojo didnt matter. If Hutson doesnt get blown up and Sanders picks up the MLB, it is Rojo vs the Safety at the first down maker with nobody between them and the endzone. 

I should add Helm gets knocked on his ass. Bijan does hit the MLB, so its Rojo and the safety if Hutson doesnt get destroyed. Flood needs to find an alternative to Hutson at this point

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/25/2022 at 9:45 AM, JFKFC said:

For 2 off-seasons, Sark completely ignored the transfer portal for o-linemen. Baylor didn't - and won the conference. KU didn't - and they will beat us for a 2nd year in a row. If we had picked up a couple of 1-year rentals on the o-line that were just average players, it isn't unreasonable to think that Quinn doesn't get rocked against Bama and this season is radically different. Even if that didn't prevent Quinn's injury, then we would have certainly run up the gut better against Tech.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I should add Helm gets knocked on his ass. Bijan does hit the MLB, so its Rojo and the safety if Hutson doesnt get destroyed. Flood needs to find an alternative to Hutson at this point

If you assume Campbell is not ready, maybe try Karic? He plays Tackle, he plays TE. There’s a few more positions he can add to the resume.

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

If you assume Campbell is not ready, maybe try Karic? He plays Tackle, he plays TE. There’s a few more positions he can add to the resume.

I dont know shit. I do know people were saying that Jones and Williams were in a real battle, so maybe WIlliams is the closest to being ready. You can put some combo of Williams and Jones on the right side. You throw Parr oe Campbell out there. I really dont know the answer, because I dont see practice. Only thing I see it the games and Hutson is going to get someone killed. 

12 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

If our worry is about being bullied in the interior by DT's and NG's, I don't think the best answer is to put an undersized Karic in there.

Edited by Hookem2147

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I dont know shit. I do know people were saying that Jones and Williams were in a real battle, so maybe WIlliams is the closest to being ready. You can put some combo of Williams and Jones on the right side. You throw Parr oe Campbell out there. I really dont know the answer, because I dont see practice. Only thing I see it the games and Hutson is going to get someone killed. 

Yeah, Hutson at this point can't even get in the way of the person directly in front of him. He should be benched to protect his confidence. I don't think it is any great exaggeration to say that he is responsible for killing the majority of drives that don't result in points. 

Not that it means everything is great, but just consider our likely record with a healthy Anguilau?

Geez, that one really hurt and no easy fixes in the short term.

I’m generally not an intangibles guy because it’s too easy to make up stuff. I do think he was a part of the “heart” of this team though. He played hard and won his share of plays. He’s missed.

If our worry is about being bullied in the interior by DT's and NG's, I don't think the best answer is to put an undersized Karic in there.

I’m sure you can pick and choose plays, but two that come to mind didn’t involve being bullied. Now that may be because he was afraid of being bullied but he just got beat to the spot. One was run; one was pass.

If Hutson isn’t working, any and all options need to be on the table.

25 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, Hutson at this point can't even get in the way of the person directly in front of him. He should be benched to protect his confidence. I don't think it is any great exaggeration to say that he is responsible for killing the majority of drives that don't result in points. 

Yeah it's historically futile at this point. I screamed his name at the tv a few times on Saturday and that doesn't normally happen with OGs. 

That one shot of the guy just strolling around him like he's a statue was stunning. His head must be swimming right now. 

Just now, Red Five said:

Yeah it's historically futile at this point. I screamed his name at the tv a few times on Saturday and that doesn't normally happen with OGs. 

That one shot of the guy just strolling around him like he's a statue was stunning. His head must be swimming right now. 

i think this is the real worry. He is a young promising OL. He has been put in before he is ready. I dont want to see him develop a ton of bad habits trying to survive this season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s hard to block real linebackers and edges when you don’t see any in practice.  On the other hand the staff should have been aware since day 1 of camp that the interior had trouble with real tackles.  That’s probably why we saw Angilau being tried at center.  But not having an answer for RG is still a little surprising. 

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Hard to imagine Campbell being a step down from what we're seeing at RG, but who knows. 

At least as to running plays, I find it hard to imagine that even Worthy would be a step down. Presumably a tackle might at least trip on him and slow down a bit. 

34 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I was wondering about Jones at guard but no way they mess with him now that he's finally playing pretty well.

Really depends. He is the best runner blocker on the OL. If reports were legit that Williams and Jones was a tight competition for RT, than maybe it is easier to move Jones over to guard given his experience. That assumes that Cam is the most ready Freshmen of the group. Williams has played in every game and is on special teams, I don’t think the other freshmen have appeared in every game (except Hutson). They may plan on red shirting the others, if they can 

9 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Hutson is an abomination. He may be great down the road, but man, that kid stinks right now. How is he ahead of Campbell?

Early enrollee like Nope said. We hear about "big humans" all the time, but big and 17/18 is different than big and 21/22. These freshmen have spent their lives beating on guys that weigh 20-50 pounds less than them. It wouldnt be shocking that some of them lack the lower body strength to deal with a 21/22 year old defensive tackle

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Hutson got some praise in the preseason based on going up against jags in the spring game and from practice reports, but predictably, the reality is that he’s just not ready.  Hard to believe he’s the best we got.  

Banks isn't dominant on rush blocking yet either -- these true freshmen are just big pups playing against full grown dogs...  gotta give them more time to grow and call plays that better match their current skill levels.   

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Banks isn't dominant on rush blocking yet either -- these true freshmen are just big pups playing against full grown dogs...  gotta give them more time to grow and call plays that better match their current skill levels.  

why did you underline that?  you're such a goober.

• Haha 2

Dunlap's OL grades and takeaways:

Spoiler

Deep Dig OL Grading Scale (each snap by each player is graded as its own independent event)

Deep-Dig-2021-OL-GRADING-SCALE.jpg

OL Grades (Texas Tech)

LT Kelvin Banks - 60 snaps

1 run-stuff allowed
2 knockdowns
DEEP DIG GRADE: 78.38

LG Hayden Conner - 60 snaps

1 QB hit, 1 QB pressure allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 75.64

C Jake Majors - 60 snaps

1 QB pressure, 1 run-stuff allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 76.45

RG Cole Hutson - 60 snaps

3 run-stuffs, 1 QB hit, 1 QB pressure, 1 sack allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 73.55

RT Christian Jones - 60 snaps

1 pressure allowed
1 holding penalty
DEEP DIG GRADE: 77.58

OL Grades by Week (2022)

Deep-Dig-2022-OL-Grades-by-Week-1-3.jpg

OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed (2022)

Deep-Dig-2022-OL-Snaps-Per-Disruption.jpg

2022 OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed Versus Historical Precedent (Last 9 seasons)

Deep-Dig-2022-Historical-Comparison-thru-4.jpg

Quick Hits and Thoughts

The worst performance of the Texas offensive line for the 2022 season was highlighted by a two key features we've witnessed all season and one we've only witnessed for the last two games:

The new and not-so-welcome phenomenon that reared its head again was Hayden Conner playing at a level that borders on poor. It's now been two-straight games at the time of this writing. We hope he is not battling a nagging injury of some sort, because he doesn't look like himself on the move and he's not finishing with the motor that basically characterized the style of play that we know him best for. He needs to play better, and it is our belief that he will based on his track record.

As for the usual factors: tackle play remained good-to-very-good between Kelvin Banks and Christian Jones. We discussed at length Jones' growth as a senior (and on the right side of the line as opposed to the left) last week in this very column. Furthermore, anyone who who's been paying any modicum of attention to the program over the course of fall camp and the last few weeks understands that freshman LT Kelvin Banks' rapid ascension to a starting role and his subsequent fine play has been a very uplifting storyline amid numerous other concerns (those concerns, unfortunately, now also include one 2021-esque pathetic loss from a head coach in Steve Sarkisian that most hoped had turned the page).

Also, per our usual arrangement, fellow freshman Cole Hutson was as disappointing or worse than Banks was good. They say an offensive line is only as strong as its weakest link, but in Hutson's case, that is thankfully not true. The offensive line unit seems to be able to operate at a collective level that is still fine despite Hutson playing unacceptably. Hutson seems like a nice guy and looks to have some talents that can be developed, but he is not ready. And some will say that Connor Williams and Pat Vahe weren't ready, either. Hell, maybe Banks wasn't necessarily ready. "What about guys like Zach Shackelford and Derek Kerstetter who started from Day 1 at Texas?" we can picture such charlatans asking. "They sure as hell weren't ready, right?"

And to that we'd say -- No, they probably weren't. But Hutson is less ready. Dear Lord, just look at the historical comparison chart above for snaps/disruption allowed. Now, that only takes into consideration allowed events of disruption (sacks, QB hits, QB pressures, TFLs, run-stuffs and penalties) and not actual player grades, which grade each play by each player over the course of the game to add more context -- but still -- Hutson's grades are really bad, too. What's more, it's seeming to get worse. We're not going to spend a column picking on the guy, as, for all we know, he's already been replaced in the lineup and our job here is not to throw stones, anyway -- only point out our findings.

But if he's not soon replaced, what can that tell us?

Well, it could tell us that Kyle Flood is a bad evaluator of OL talent and potential, which doesn't seem likely. It seems equally as unlikely that Steve Sarkisian is calling the offensive line shots and forcing Flood to play a guy who Flood doesn't think is fit for the job. If any coach on the team has autonomy over his position group and snap-rates, based on all we've seen and the backgrounds of the given members of the staff, it's Flood.

The most likely scenario is not one that fans will love hearing: that Flood truly thinks -- even given the struggles he's 100% seen just as clearly as we ALL have from Hutson -- that Hutson is still his best option to round out his top five guys. Obviously, this is disappointing when thinking about the five OTHER talented freshman offensive linemen that Texas was able to snag in the 2022 offensive line class that was dubbed "historic" at the time. There was a tell whenever Hutson left the game for one snap versus UTSA: that it was not freshman superstar-recruit DJ Campbell who came into the game in reserve-duty, it was backup center Logan Parr.

And maybe DJ Campbell isn't ready yet. But, as we've been trying to communicate all through the column, none of these guys are ever really "ready."

Ever tried picking the optimal day to quit a bad habit like smoking or dipping? Deciding the perfect time to get married? Predicting when exactly to buy into the stock market? When to have kids? Of course you have. We all have. Most of the time these decisions are made via circumstance alone, though, and life goes on. Because if we sat around playing with our pud from dawn until dusk and fretting over what could go wrong here and why this might not work there, we'd simply be stuck. We'd be paralyzed.

We've said it and said it: Texas is currently taking its lumps with a true-freshman right guard. That is happening, and it will continue. As long as these lumps are being taken, why are other avenues not at least being explored?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Dunlap's OL grades and takeaways:

Reveal hidden contents

Deep Dig OL Grading Scale (each snap by each player is graded as its own independent event)

Deep-Dig-2021-OL-GRADING-SCALE.jpg

OL Grades (Texas Tech)

LT Kelvin Banks - 60 snaps

1 run-stuff allowed
2 knockdowns
DEEP DIG GRADE: 78.38

LG Hayden Conner - 60 snaps

1 QB hit, 1 QB pressure allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 75.64

C Jake Majors - 60 snaps

1 QB pressure, 1 run-stuff allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 76.45

RG Cole Hutson - 60 snaps

3 run-stuffs, 1 QB hit, 1 QB pressure, 1 sack allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 73.55

RT Christian Jones - 60 snaps

1 pressure allowed
1 holding penalty
DEEP DIG GRADE: 77.58

OL Grades by Week (2022)

Deep-Dig-2022-OL-Grades-by-Week-1-3.jpg

OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed (2022)

Deep-Dig-2022-OL-Snaps-Per-Disruption.jpg

2022 OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed Versus Historical Precedent (Last 9 seasons)

Deep-Dig-2022-Historical-Comparison-thru-4.jpg

Quick Hits and Thoughts

The worst performance of the Texas offensive line for the 2022 season was highlighted by a two key features we've witnessed all season and one we've only witnessed for the last two games:

The new and not-so-welcome phenomenon that reared its head again was Hayden Conner playing at a level that borders on poor. It's now been two-straight games at the time of this writing. We hope he is not battling a nagging injury of some sort, because he doesn't look like himself on the move and he's not finishing with the motor that basically characterized the style of play that we know him best for. He needs to play better, and it is our belief that he will based on his track record.

As for the usual factors: tackle play remained good-to-very-good between Kelvin Banks and Christian Jones. We discussed at length Jones' growth as a senior (and on the right side of the line as opposed to the left) last week in this very column. Furthermore, anyone who who's been paying any modicum of attention to the program over the course of fall camp and the last few weeks understands that freshman LT Kelvin Banks' rapid ascension to a starting role and his subsequent fine play has been a very uplifting storyline amid numerous other concerns (those concerns, unfortunately, now also include one 2021-esque pathetic loss from a head coach in Steve Sarkisian that most hoped had turned the page).

Also, per our usual arrangement, fellow freshman Cole Hutson was as disappointing or worse than Banks was good. They say an offensive line is only as strong as its weakest link, but in Hutson's case, that is thankfully not true. The offensive line unit seems to be able to operate at a collective level that is still fine despite Hutson playing unacceptably. Hutson seems like a nice guy and looks to have some talents that can be developed, but he is not ready. And some will say that Connor Williams and Pat Vahe weren't ready, either. Hell, maybe Banks wasn't necessarily ready. "What about guys like Zach Shackelford and Derek Kerstetter who started from Day 1 at Texas?" we can picture such charlatans asking. "They sure as hell weren't ready, right?"

And to that we'd say -- No, they probably weren't. But Hutson is less ready. Dear Lord, just look at the historical comparison chart above for snaps/disruption allowed. Now, that only takes into consideration allowed events of disruption (sacks, QB hits, QB pressures, TFLs, run-stuffs and penalties) and not actual player grades, which grade each play by each player over the course of the game to add more context -- but still -- Hutson's grades are really bad, too. What's more, it's seeming to get worse. We're not going to spend a column picking on the guy, as, for all we know, he's already been replaced in the lineup and our job here is not to throw stones, anyway -- only point out our findings.

But if he's not soon replaced, what can that tell us?

Well, it could tell us that Kyle Flood is a bad evaluator of OL talent and potential, which doesn't seem likely. It seems equally as unlikely that Steve Sarkisian is calling the offensive line shots and forcing Flood to play a guy who Flood doesn't think is fit for the job. If any coach on the team has autonomy over his position group and snap-rates, based on all we've seen and the backgrounds of the given members of the staff, it's Flood.

The most likely scenario is not one that fans will love hearing: that Flood truly thinks -- even given the struggles he's 100% seen just as clearly as we ALL have from Hutson -- that Hutson is still his best option to round out his top five guys. Obviously, this is disappointing when thinking about the five OTHER talented freshman offensive linemen that Texas was able to snag in the 2022 offensive line class that was dubbed "historic" at the time. There was a tell whenever Hutson left the game for one snap versus UTSA: that it was not freshman superstar-recruit DJ Campbell who came into the game in reserve-duty, it was backup center Logan Parr.

And maybe DJ Campbell isn't ready yet. But, as we've been trying to communicate all through the column, none of these guys are ever really "ready."

Ever tried picking the optimal day to quit a bad habit like smoking or dipping? Deciding the perfect time to get married? Predicting when exactly to buy into the stock market? When to have kids? Of course you have. We all have. Most of the time these decisions are made via circumstance alone, though, and life goes on. Because if we sat around playing with our pud from dawn until dusk and fretting over what could go wrong here and why this might not work there, we'd simply be stuck. We'd be paralyzed.

We've said it and said it: Texas is currently taking its lumps with a true-freshman right guard. That is happening, and it will continue. As long as these lumps are being taken, why are other avenues not at least being explored?

I am afraid to look

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nahlin on DJ Campbell

He’s just not assignment sound enough yet. I assume we’ll see him as the season progresses but it may be within the four game redshirt allotment.

I think I would roll the dice there. Hutson is giving up a disruption about 9% of the time. Just call is 1 in every 10 plays for simplicity. That is a significant issue. I am not sure there is a lot of risk experimenting here. Parr, Campbell, or even some combination of Williams/Jones on the right side (could be either player at Guard)

Edited by Codaxx

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think I would roll the dice there. Hutson is giving up a disruption about 9% of the time. Just call is 1 in every 10 plays for simplicity. That is a significant issue. I am not sure there is a lot of risk experimenting here. Parr, Campbell, or even some combination of Williams/Jones on the right side (could be either player at Guard)

We've adopted the "can't be any worse" motto on a variety of different topics over the last decade and have found out the majority of the time that it can in fact, be worse.

I think I mentioned this last week too, but Flood had no issue rotating lineman last year so I don't think he's afraid to play guys if he thinks they are ready. So the fact he isn't doing it right now is probably a sign that there's a pretty large gap between the starting 5 and backups.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We've adopted the "can't be any worse" motto on a variety of different topics over the last decade and have found out the majority of the time that it can in fact, be worse.

I think I mentioned this last week too, but Flood had no issue rotating lineman last year so I don't think he's afraid to play guys if he thinks they are ready. So the fact he isn't doing it right now is probably a sign that there's a pretty large gap between the starting 5 and backups.

As fan you have to start off blaming play calls (that is the quickest fix) and then move on to personnel changes. You have to believe one of those fixes things, because if they dont you have to except shitty football. I chose to believe Campbell can cure all the OL, because it is too early in the year to to accept we are screwed

You guys seem like you need a pick me up.  PFF player grades so far amongst FBS qualifiers:

• Cole Hutson, G-  282nd (of 309)
  • Hayden Conner, G-  303rd (of 309)
  • Jake Majors, C-  83rd (of 145)
  • Christian Jones, T-  134th (of 303)
  • Kelvin Banks, T-  142nd (of 303)

Unit Grades (of 131 FBS teams):

• Pass Blocking-  30th
  • Run Blocking-  113th

Edited by 40acredropout

30 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

As fan you have to start off blaming play calls (that is the quickest fix) and then move on to personnel changes. You have to believe one of those fixes things, because if they dont you have to accept shitty football. I choose to believe Campbell can cure all the OL, because it is too early in the year to accept we are screwed

Dam son

17 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

You guys seem like you need a pick me up.  PFF player grades so far amongst FBS qualifiers:

• Pass Blocking-  30th
  • Run Blocking-  113th

Majors as the best OL? that is crazy

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Majors as the best OL? that is crazy

Both Jones and Majors have shown incremental improvement under Flood. We should expect the same improvement for the freshmen OL in year 2. I think the biggest disappointment for the OL has been Conner. This is year two for him, and he's only slightly better than Hutson.

Edited by HtownHorn

35 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

• Pass Blocking-  30th
  • Run Blocking-  113th

YIKES. I have no idea what goes into the PFF grades, but Banks has seemed "fine". Jones too. Hopefully the young pups grow up soon. 

1 minute ago, Nope said:

20 spots worse than Hutson? I would have expected them to be swapped

I do not buy that either. Conner was pretty solid in the first 2 games and has not looked good the last 2. Huston has struggled in every game. I trust Dunlap more on the OL stats, than PFF.